R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 to rustproof or not to rustproof

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2003 | 07:55 AM
Bird
|
2nd Gear
I've always gone for the Ziebart and kept a great looking car for 10 years or more. But times are changing. Is rustproofing still helpful? BTW, I live in Wisconsin. (cows, cheese, and salt)

Old 04-11-2003 | 09:29 AM
conecarver
3rd Gear
I doubt it would help that much....... how much does it cost??? then again I am the wrong person to comment on this since I am deep in the south east....

Old 04-11-2003 | 11:35 AM
vespa
4th Gear
It's a scam. Especially on a modern car.

Old 04-11-2003 | 01:10 PM
CraigRasmussen
3rd Gear
If you just want to give money away let me know, I think I could use it more than your dealer and your MINI would be just as rust proof.

Old 04-11-2003 | 01:15 PM
wwwebb
5th Gear
Isn't there a long warranty on rust with the MINI. Something like 10 years rust-thru protection?

Anybody know about this?

Old 04-11-2003 | 01:54 PM
SouthSeaSadie
3rd Gear
>>Isn't there a long warranty on rust with the MINI. Something like 10 years rust-thru protection?
>>
>>
>>Anybody know about this?

7--count 'em--7 years. First thing we ask in Hawaii, where cars can rust overnight.

Old 04-11-2003 | 04:05 PM
Bird
|
2nd Gear
So in Hawaii do you do rustproofing? A rust through warranty is worthless. It takes quite a lot to go all the way through.

Old 04-11-2003 | 04:48 PM
Mister_S
3rd Gear
Bird,

The MINI, like most modern cars, is thoroughly rust-proofed from the factory. The bare metal MINI chassis is completely submerged in a conversion/protective coating/plating (see the cool assembly line video on the MINI USA site) prior to paint and assembly. The paint is electrostatically applied helping it into all the nooks and crannies that remained bare in older cars. And finally, after painting and during assembly, protective wax is applied to critical areas to seal and protect.

Add-on rust proofing is bad for the following reasons:

1. If it's thick enough to do any good, it adds unnecessary weight to the car.
2. It's sprayed on everything on the underside of the car; making fasteners difficult to remove for service or repair operations, sealing body vent/drain holes that shouldn't be filled, causing a stink when overspray on exhaust components burns off, etc., etc.
3. If the surface of the add-on coating ever gets broken, like at a rock chip or during the previously mentioned service/repair work, it creates a place where salty water can infiltrate and become trapped against the body, sheltered from washing/rinsing/evaporation, thereby increasing the likelihood of a rust problem.
4. It's usually grossly overpriced like all the other dealer add-ons which provide the dealers high-margin profit avenues in a low-margin business.

The best rust-proofing for a winter driver in the winter salt regions is simple, consistant care. During the salt months, frequent fresh water rinses of the underside are key; paying particular attention to wheelwells and area subject to water thrown off the tires. Find a good winter car wash that does this as part of a regular car wash.

Then, a couple time a year, its also key to check the drain holes in the door and fender bottoms. I don't know exactly where these are on the MINI as I don't have mine yet, but if you lay on the ground and look up at the underside of the doors, you will see small holes leading to the inside of the door carcass; similarly on the fenders. These holes allow trapped water to drain out. This water gets in the doors from around the glass or hinges, and in the fenders when thrown from the tires. Standing salt water is your enemy and these holes do occasionally get plugged with debris or ice.

Hope this helps some. Best of luck to you.

James

Old 04-11-2003 | 06:37 PM
Bird
|
2nd Gear
I really appreciate the feedback. I've always been good about washing salt off the car so maybe that's been my key to success. I dunno about you, but ANY car is too damn expensive not to take care of it. Sure am looking forward to the Mini's arrival.

Old 04-12-2003 | 02:09 AM
Kohu'ulaMINI
5th Gear
>>So in Hawaii do you do rustproofing? A rust through warranty is worthless. It takes quite a lot to go all the way through.

No extra rust proofing necessary for the MINI in Hawaii.
As SouthSeaSadie stated, the MINI already comes with a waranty against rust and corrosion perforation.

If you still feel the need to be "rust-free" for 10 years, maybe get rust proofing done say, around 5th or 6th year of owning MINI.
Just my .02

Hand Loose and Motor On!!!

Old 04-12-2003 | 12:11 PM
Gud999
1st Gear
To protect or not to protect.If you do, you invalidate the body perforation warranty. and if after a time your body shows signs of rust you will have a an argument with the manufacturer to make a claim and you will wait and see if rust is going to appear anywhere else in the future. 30 years ago I "Ziebrated" my Mini and I still drove it every day until 2 weeks ago (when I got my new Cooper) So if you intend to keep your car longer than 10 years rustproof it. :smile: