R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Under Glow Kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006 | 11:07 AM
WannaMini_
6th Gear
All I gotta say is, "TOO FAST. TOO FURIOUS..."

Old 10-12-2006 | 11:12 AM
cycleguru
4th Gear
I agree.Nice job Matt. UP

Old 10-12-2006 | 11:14 AM
cycleguru
4th Gear
Originally Posted by BadMINI
Putting under glow lights on a MINI is no more "ricey" than putting stickers on them or clear indicators, exhausts, etc. You can say that's what started the Mini scene back in the 60's, but the same could be said about the guys with neon lights behind the grills and under the chassis of their Caddies back in the 50's and 60's. Nobody can say that this mod is not for a MINI. I payed $22K for my car, and if I want a glow emitting from underneath, then I'm going to do it. I'm military and meet people daily from all walks of life. To each his own.
Here Here. Well said.

Old 10-12-2006 | 11:20 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
LOL! I want one of these!

Old 10-12-2006 | 11:37 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
To each his own..

Old 10-12-2006 | 12:19 PM
everytimeidie027
6th Gear
Originally Posted by WannaMini_
All I gotta say is, "TOO FAST. TOO FURIOUS..."

Old 10-12-2006 | 02:26 PM
justintime
6th Gear
the mini is all about personalization is it not? underglow doesnt make a nice car look tacky at all. so long as its not overdone the car still looks clean.

Old 10-12-2006 | 02:30 PM
planeguy
6th Gear
I THOUGHT about it, THEN I thought about the kind of people who have such things and quickly determined that I don't want to be associated in anyway with such a crowd

Old 10-12-2006 | 02:32 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Your car, your money, do what you want.

Just remember you will be known and associated with what you run with... Be proud ... youify

Old 10-12-2006 | 02:37 PM
justintime
6th Gear
http://streetglow.com/images/myspace/optx/OPTX-MINI.jpg

haha first image that popped up under a google search

I don't really like this one... plus it looks choppily made in adobe or something. but I can imagine black w/blue looking nice

Old 10-12-2006 | 02:39 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Originally Posted by planeguy
I THOUGHT about it, THEN I thought about the kind of people who have such things and quickly determined that I don't want to be associated in anyway with such a crowd
It's true... people like me do drive down property values, undermine the family, and lead women to become lesbians and to practice witchcraft. Sometimes I even play my music WAY too loud... that could lead to dancing. Best to steer clear, lest ye end up a wretched, empty-eyed, hollow thing like me. The road to Hell may be paved with good intentions, but it's driven on by underlit cars. Fie! Fie and beware!

Old 10-12-2006 | 02:59 PM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
Fie?

Old 10-12-2006 | 03:10 PM
Mini Mizer
5th Gear
I personally think neons dont look good on mini's.

however...as someone stated before me, colored lights have been put on cars before the first honda car ever reached the shores of the US. (unless it was imported from canada/japan)

For example, hood orniments that have been modified to light up. lights in the wheel wells, behind the grills...ect...ect...This is nothing new, and has been around for a loooong time.

Just like air-bag suspension has been around for a looong time. Its not new, its just re-done. Now mostly populer with lowriders and compact trucks known as Mini-trucks.

Just like the term "history repeats itself". Old school fads and culture get forgotten and then are brought back as something new. Even though its already been done looong before.

But if you want to do it, then go for it.

Old 10-12-2006 | 04:01 PM
Bugs
4th Gear
i love all the hipicrits that come out with neon lighting.

Rice by definition is: to make car appear faster then it really is, or to add any thing to the vehicle which doesnt increase performance, and or may actually detract from it.

Im not saying its not rice.. because it is.. That said.. so are 'vinyl graphics'.. and this doesnt just mean the big japanamation stuff on the side of all your friends import cars.. this also would include bonet stripes and roof decals and the hidden eyes..... All of the above i give a big for doing what YOU want. Not what everyone else wants.

At the end of the day, do what YOU want to do with the car that YOU pay for. If someone comes in asking for opinions, then dont get offended when they offer one which differs from your own.. But also, dont beat someone down for having different ideas. (unless they ask for it :-) )

For those who want to do neons.. do it.
For those who dont.. dont.. its that simple.

Old 10-12-2006 | 04:33 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Bugs
... so are 'vinyl graphics'.. and this doesnt just mean the big japanamation stuff on the side of all your friends import cars.. this also would include bonet stripes and roof decals and the hidden eyes.....

Now WAIT one SECOND HERE ...

Its a WELL KNOWN fact that adding those fake "racing stripes" on MINIs adds at least two MPH to the top end

As to side stripes, roof type graphics and the like ... If they are checkerboard, not only do they add to the top speed ... but they add AT LEAST two dollars to the resale value for the car That alone is worth the bling

On the other side ... additional lights add WEIGHT subtracting 2 MPH from the top end

Old 10-12-2006 | 04:45 PM
ma78
Coordinator :: Super Secret Orange County MINI Cooper Club
Originally Posted by ImagoX
It's true... people like me do drive down property values, undermine the family, and lead women to become lesbians and to practice witchcraft. Sometimes I even play my music WAY too loud... that could lead to dancing. Best to steer clear, lest ye end up a wretched, empty-eyed, hollow thing like me. The road to Hell may be paved with good intentions, but it's driven on by underlit cars. Fie! Fie and beware!

Funny, but inacurate. No offense to all you property-killing, family-hating, lesbianizing wicans, but the point here is taste, not lifestyle. The look of european imports is distinctly different that of asian imports. Why not modify them as such?
Of course, it is a matter of personal choice. And I, personaly, think that the neon lights are tacky and crude.

Old 10-12-2006 | 05:13 PM
Fatherdeth
6th Gear
I have pictures of the light coming from underneath my old MINI, but I am using my wife's computer right now, so can't get to them.

I consider myself somewhat of an artist, and so I don't knock anything anybody does. If you want to have a MINI that is pink with green wheel arches.....I say go for it. If you want to put bunny ears on the roof, how about it. That's what makes MINIs great. If this was not a reason, why is Scion trying to be like MINI, and that goes for the VW Rabbit at that. If you don't like under glow kits, fine. But don't criticize the ones that do.
Plenty of people have said my old Solid Gold was ricey and ugly. I really didn't care. The funny thing is, I thought it was BUTT UGLY from the start. It's kind of what drew me to it. I got used to the color eventually, but even up to the point of trading her in, I didn't think the color was great at all. On top of that I had the vinyl on the side. I had the exhaust, tail lights, NEON, etc. But she was my personal creation and I loved it.

Ricey?? Probably. It depends on your opinion.

Old 10-12-2006 | 05:20 PM
Jtrem
|
6th Gear
I have pictures of the light coming from underneath my old MINI, but I am using my wife's computer right now, so can't get to them.

I consider myself somewhat of an artist, and so I don't knock anything anybody does. If you want to have a MINI that is pink with green wheel arches.....I say go for it. If you want to put bunny ears on the roof, how about it. That's what makes MINIs great. If this was not a reason, why is Scion trying to be like MINI, and that goes for the VW Rabbit at that. If you don't like under glow kits, fine. But don't criticize the ones that do.
Plenty of people have said my old Solid Gold was ricey and ugly. I really didn't care. The funny thing is, I thought it was BUTT UGLY from the start. It's kind of what drew me to it. I got used to the color eventually, but even up to the point of trading her in, I didn't think the color was great at all. On top of that I had the vinyl on the side. I had the exhaust, tail lights, NEON, etc. But she was my personal creation and I loved it.

I love your Mini!

Old 10-12-2006 | 05:26 PM
Fatherdeth
6th Gear
Thanks !! I miss her a lot. Sometimes I regret trading her. It is still sitting on the dealer's lot. They want $19,900 for it, and it has 54,000 miles on it. I think she will be sitting there for a while.

Old 10-12-2006 | 05:33 PM
Jtrem
|
6th Gear
Thanks !! I miss her a lot. Sometimes I regret trading her. It is still sitting on the dealer's lot. They want $19,900 for it, and it has 54,000 miles on it. I think she will be sitting there for a while.
Ya I traded in my 2002 Mini a few years back with 34k on it. It spent a year at the dealer. They were asking 21k which was only 5k less than I paid for it! Haha go figuere. They finally sold it off to another smaller lot who listed it for 16K and it sold fairly quickly. LAst Time I checked the Carfax it was listed as a Salvaged. Owell

Old 10-12-2006 | 06:43 PM
DOPAMINE
5th Gear
i have seen a lot of over modified minis and i mean A LOT, including mine. i think we can all agree its the owners preference really. if you want to put every possible after-market product under your hood and look like a product *****...i say go for it. im all for it. you want to take rotors off a hummer and put them on a civic? do it. you want to put Honda s2000 tail lights on an Eclipse, do it. you want all that GPS nonsense in your mini dash, do it. body kits, splitters and diffusers on street cars that never see the track or even see the rain, do it. do i NEED a CF hood? no but, it looks awesome. you want neons under your mini...by all means do it. i will proudly roll with you anywhere my friend and will feel good to know that when we park in a field of bonnet stripes, chrome packages, under bonnet eyes and s lites we will stick out like sore thumbs.

and to not do something you like because of what people might think or what "crowd" you will be associated with is plain sad.

hook them lights up and post some pics!!!!

Old 10-12-2006 | 06:53 PM
everytimeidie027
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RIVAL
i have seen a lot of over modified minis and i mean A LOT, including mine. i think we can all agree its the owners preference really. if you want to put every possible after-market product under your hood and look like a product *****...i say go for it. im all for it. you want to take rotors off a hummer and put them on a civic? do it. you want to put Honda s2000 tail lights on an Eclipse, do it. you want all that GPS nonsense in your mini dash, do it. body kits, splitters and diffusers on street cars that never see the track or even see the rain, do it. do i NEED a CF hood? no but, it looks awesome. you want neons under your mini...by all means do it. i will proudly roll with you anywhere my friend and will feel good to know that when we park in a field of bonnet stripes, chrome packages, under bonnet eyes and s lites we will stick out like sore thumbs.

and to not do something you like because of what people might think or what "crowd" you will be associated with is plain sad.

hook them lights up and post some pics!!!!
What he said

Old 10-12-2006 | 07:09 PM
planeguy
6th Gear
This crowd of custom cars is full of people who SAY they dont care what anyone thinks BUT spends all thier time talking about what is cool and posting pictures of thier car all over the internet, occasionally in forums like this asking what people think (even though they dont care) only to act offended when someone tells them that thier ride looks stupid, and that the car.... which is supposedly an extention of thier personality makes them look the same.

If it is really for you.....then threads like this should never exist to begin with, you dont care what anyone else thinks, and you wont be clogging server capacity with dozens of stupid pictures showing everyone your cool new lights. Just strap them on your riceified MINI and everyone will think what they think good or bad and everyone will keep thier opinions to themselves.

Originally Posted by ImagoX

Sounds about right to me ....

Old 10-12-2006 | 07:35 PM
Fatherdeth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by planeguy
This crowd of custom cars is full of people who SAY they dont care what anyone thinks BUT spends all thier time talking about what is cool and posting pictures of thier car all over the internet, occasionally in forums like this asking what people think (even though they dont care) only to act offended when someone tells them that thier ride looks stupid, and that the car.... which is supposedly an extention of thier personality makes them look the same.

If it is really for you.....then threads like this should never exist to begin with, you dont care what anyone else thinks, and you wont be clogging server capacity with dozens of stupid pictures showing everyone your cool new lights. Just strap them on your riceified MINI and everyone will think what they think good or bad and everyone will keep thier opinions to themselves.

Sounds about right to me ....
Yeah, I post pictures of my cars on the internet. Not so people like you can tell me how it looks, just more of showing it off. Oh, by the way, I didn't start this thread, I only gave my opinion. It seems like all the "anti-ricer" people (mirror) tell how they feel. As soon as someone says they like neons, these same people give their inane opinions, which I respect. The world is full of holier than thou people who judge others by what they do, or how they customize their cars, or if they have tattoos are not. I guess you fall into this category of closemindedness.

Old 10-12-2006 | 09:14 PM
justintime
6th Gear
I just noticed something I havnt before... ok... so did you oneball your mcs? or did you get a MCS gas cap???

orrr did the older models come with that gas cap??

Quick Reply: R50/53 Under Glow Kit