R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Under Glow Kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006 | 10:04 PM
ma78
Coordinator :: Super Secret Orange County MINI Cooper Club
Originally Posted by BadMINI
Yeah, I post pictures of my cars on the internet. Not so people like you can tell me how it looks, just more of showing it off. Oh, by the way, I didn't start this thread, I only gave my opinion. It seems like all the "anti-ricer" people (mirror) tell how they feel. As soon as someone says they like neons, these same people give their inane opinions, which I respect. The world is full of holier than thou people who judge others by what they do, or how they customize their cars, or if they have tattoos are not. I guess you fall into this category of closemindedness.

sensitive?

Old 10-13-2006 | 06:40 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniMaybee
Fie?
Forsooth...

I was just trying to point out that a desire to add a bit of glow to a car does not necessarily equal ignorance, as seems to be implied in some posts on here. Maybe I was too subtle for some folks.

Personally, I post pics of my car and what I've done to it because I enjoy showing what I've done, not because I'm looking for anyone's approval. I've never put up a "Should I add "X" to my car?" thread that I can recall. Advice on installation techniques or quality, sure, but not aesthetics.

Sure, my MODs will not be for everyone, but if there are a few people out there that like them and want to do something similar then I hope my experiences will help them to do their own MODs. I see this as paying the community back for all the help that *I've* been gven over the last few months.

I've said it before and I'll say it again... the best thing about MINIs are that every owner thinks that THEIR car is the "best one", and they're all right.

Old 10-13-2006 | 09:04 AM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
I have such a terribly difficult time NOT voicing my opinion on things -- I can't believe I've made it 4 pages without doing so. Please allow me to change this.

I'm shocked -- nee, I'm apalled (as usual) -- by the people who are coming out so vehemently against the neon. Some of you are acting as though the OP has actually said; "I am thinking about petitioning congress to make it illegal to run a MINI without underglow."

Since that couldn't be further from the truth, this begs the question; Why on earth do you care?

It's one thing to say that it isnt' your thing, it's another entirely to suggest that to do so is tantamount to defaming the entire premise of the MINI. So what if it's a european import? Is there such a dearth of imagination amongst some of you that you feel compelled to limit yourself to things you've been told are acceptable and particular to a certain breed of imports?

I look forward to painting my Ollie pale, metallic green with a turquoise roof and bonnet stripes, and an Om roof graphic. I don't suppose that falls within the canon of acceptable mods for a british/german import.

I also don't suppose that I care.

The fear of of originality amongst some of the posts here is horrifying. Get over it. The sky will not fall just because someone has a different aesthetic opinion.

Old 10-13-2006 | 09:50 AM
planeguy
6th Gear
Im certainly not aganist youifying....I dont think any MINI enthusiast is.....But that is not the issue at hand

many customizations are done because "it's cool" .....I am not someone who does anything "to be cool" ......So, you will not find me doing "cool things" to my car. If I like or don't like the look of something I dont have to ask my friends or make a post on the internet or post pictures of it so everyone else can see my cool thing.....I just do it, and like it, and thats it.

Now, if you want to "be cool" then fine!.....nobody is talking about rounding people up and imprisioning you!....But you take the good and the bad opinions, maybe those opinions do not change your decision but just don't act all offended when some of us say that it looks dumb all the while saying you don't care what anyone else thinks........

Old 10-13-2006 | 09:57 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
you can you-ify your car all you want, its your car afterall......but being you-ified doesnt exclude the car from being ugly.

Old 10-13-2006 | 10:04 AM
Mini Mizer
5th Gear
Originally Posted by RallyMINI
you can you-ify your car all you want, its your car afterall......but being you-ified doesnt exclude the car from being ugly.
what a true statement.

Old 10-13-2006 | 10:05 AM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
See, it's comments like that that I don't understand. Someone is excited about something they've been thinking about doing. If you don't like it, perhaps it wouldn't hurt to be tactful and suggest that it isn't your thing -- that's assuming you feel compelled to respond.

But why bother responding to tell someone that their aesthetic is "ugly"? What on earth point does that serve?

And I have no problem with the expression of contrary opinion -- the thing (in addition to above) that really rankles is when people post that it's inappropriate for a "european import". Do you get nose bleeds, sitting that high up on your horsie?

Old 10-13-2006 | 10:05 AM
ZenMINI3
2nd Gear
well said rally mini

Old 10-13-2006 | 10:18 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Originally Posted by OmToast
See, it's comments like that that I don't understand. Someone is excited about something they've been thinking about doing. If you don't like it, perhaps it wouldn't hurt to be tactful and suggest that it isn't your thing -- that's assuming you feel compelled to respond.

But why bother responding to tell someone that their aesthetic is "ugly"? What on earth point does that serve?

And I have no problem with the expression of contrary opinion -- the thing (in addition to above) that really rankles is when people post that it's inappropriate for a "european import". Do you get nose bleeds, sitting that high up on your horsie?
There's no convincing people on matters of aesthetics, bro. You gotta feel it or you don't. I was sitting in an outdoor coffee place a few days ago when some people walked by my car. "Man, I hate the look of those MINIs," one said. "So boxy and ugly. No grace at all."

Then they walked over to and got in a Hyundai Tiberon, which *I* think is one of the uglier cars I've seen in the past 5 years.

There's no accounting for taste... it doesn't matter if others think your car is ugly, what matters is what YOU think. RallyMINI, for example, has a tartan shift and ebrake cover in his car (if I'm remembering correctly) that's... well, let's just say that it's "not my cup of tea". But hey, it works for him, and that's all that matters. It's not MY car. The only reason someone else's opinion should really matter is if they're paying for your car.

Happy MODding, everyone!

Old 10-13-2006 | 10:25 AM
Mini Mizer
5th Gear
Using rattle-can spraypaint to paint your MINI camoflage would also be you-ifying. However most people would think it is ugly, and they would be wondering why you would do such a thing to a compact european sports car.

You would however expect that sort of thing to be on a 1975 Chevy C10 4x4 with mud slung all over the side and big knobby tires.

Just like neons on a mini, it isnt expected by most people and they would find it tacky/ugly. But we would expect it to be on a japanese tuner car.

It all boils down to opinions and everyone has one. But like i said before, if you want to do that sort of thing, go for it! it is your car, mod/decorate it how you like. But dont be surprised or offended if others dislike it.

Old 10-13-2006 | 10:42 AM
ChiliCooperS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ma78
Maybe you guys might find some inspiration here.
Maybe you can find some manners here. Pay special attention to #2.

Old 10-13-2006 | 12:49 PM
justintime
6th Gear
-rattles the hornerts nest and runs away-

I was just thinking the other day how all of us mini owners thought basically alike. I guess I was wrong haha. My dad always told me it was tacky and didnt like them. I thought it made the car look great. personal prefrences. in the end he has lots of feedback ^__^

Old 10-13-2006 | 01:43 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by OmToast

hey chill out there.....i dont care at all about the under-car glow. I would actually suggest it (as long as the color choice was correct). I'm just saying that it IS possible to you-ify your car and still have an ugly one. I never stated what would make an ugly car

You can't say anyone is on a high horse for just sharing their opinions. Deal with it. People will say "I dont like it" , "i like it", "it doesnt fit a euro car", and "it fits your car well". That is what a forum is about. If you don't like it, dont make posts that say "what do you think?" or "This is my plan...".

The point of a forum isn't a yes-man deal.....we aren't just here to say "yah! if you are excited do it!". People should be able to do that on their own accord...you don't need anyone telling you to go ahead with it. You come for opinions....positive or negative.

If anyone is on a high-horse, i would bet that its the silly person who is telling people to not share their opinions if it's negative.

Old 10-13-2006 | 04:00 PM
planeguy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mini Mizer
Using rattle-can spraypaint to paint your MINI camoflage would also be you-ifying. However most people would think it is ugly, and they would be wondering why you would do such a thing to a compact european sports car.

You would however expect that sort of thing to be on a 1975 Chevy C10 4x4 with mud slung all over the side and big knobby tires.

Just like neons on a mini, it isnt expected by most people and they would find it tacky/ugly. But we would expect it to be on a japanese tuner car.

It all boils down to opinions and everyone has one. But like i said before, if you want to do that sort of thing, go for it! it is your car, mod/decorate it how you like. But dont be surprised or offended if others dislike it.
golf clap.....Huzzah! Well said chap! An apt comparison my friend.....Now its off to the polo grounds

Old 10-13-2006 | 05:31 PM
Fatherdeth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by justintime
I just noticed something I havnt before... ok... so did you oneball your mcs? or did you get a MCS gas cap???

orrr did the older models come with that gas cap??
No, it was a base model Cooper. I added the S gas cap door because it reminds me of the classic Minis. I added the S side skirts because they look better than the flat ones that come on the base model Coopers. The exhaust was a Remus.

Old 10-13-2006 | 05:35 PM
Fatherdeth
6th Gear
But see, I can turn around and say "yours" is just as ugly because maybe I don't like the color of your car's paint. Besides some of the uglier MINIs make for the most interesting.

Old 10-13-2006 | 05:42 PM
Fatherdeth
6th Gear
hey chill out there.....i dont care at all about the under-car glow. I would actually suggest it (as long as the color choice was correct). I'm just saying that it IS possible to you-ify your car and still have an ugly one. I never stated what would make an ugly car

You can't say anyone is on a high horse for just sharing their opinions. Deal with it. People will say "I dont like it" , "i like it", "it doesnt fit a euro car", and "it fits your car well". That is what a forum is about. If you don't like it, dont make posts that say "what do you think?" or "This is my plan...".

The point of a forum isn't a yes-man deal.....we aren't just here to say "yah! if you are excited do it!". People should be able to do that on their own accord...you don't need anyone telling you to go ahead with it. You come for opinions....positive or negative.

If anyone is on a high-horse, i would bet that its the silly person who is telling people to not share their opinions if it's negative.
I think most people in here can take the negativity. The keyword is "respect", and there was a definite lack of it. All the individual asked was whether any one had or was thinking about putting an underglow kit on the car. If so and so didn't like this idea, all that needed to be said was "I don't like those." NOT those are silly, or stupid, or whatever. This thread just cracks me up.

Old 10-13-2006 | 05:53 PM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by BadMINI
I think most people in here can take the negativity. The keyword is "respect", and there was a definite lack of it. All the individual asked was whether any one had or was thinking about putting an underglow kit on the car. If so and so didn't like this idea, all that needed to be said was "I don't like those." NOT those are silly, or stupid, or whatever. This thread just cracks me up.

Precisely what I was attempting to communicate.

I never said you shouldn't share opinions, just that -- as suggested above -- it be done with some modicum of respect.

Old 10-13-2006 | 11:11 PM
DOPAMINE
5th Gear
peter gabriel.

solo?

or

with genesis?

Old 10-15-2006 | 10:08 PM
Jtrem
|
6th Gear
I bought a green neon under glow kit today and im going to install it soon. Ill post pictures as soon as I finish!

Old 10-15-2006 | 10:19 PM
everytimeidie027
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Jtrem
I bought a green neon under glow kit today and im going to install it soon. Ill post pictures as soon as I finish!
Cool, cant wait to see it

Old 10-16-2006 | 06:56 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
with underglow kits it really helps to lower the car so that the light is more focused and doesn't get diffused and spread like a ceiling light

Definitely post pics so we can see what it looks like