R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Highway Patrol in a JCW MINI ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 02:08 PM
MINI~193
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Highway Patrol in a JCW MINI ?

I had a VERY strange thought the other day when I was FLYING down a twisty two lane Hwy-???. What if the California Highway Patrol, (or any Law Enforcement Agency) got a JCW setup Mini S. They could come up on me like the wind. But then I thought nawwwww they wouldn’t do that. Or would they? A JCW CHP Pursuit Vehicle built just for the twisties.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Loan me your thoughts on this one – will ya?
Elaborate.
Dream.
Imagine.
Throw a rock at it.

NOTE: I hope I haven’t given Law Enforcement an idea here…
RoadKill

Old 10-12-2006, 02:21 PM
clarkdr81
6th Gear
It would add some flavor to their patrol fleets but a 4 cylinder engine may not be acceptable. I don't know if they have any rules about that...

Old 10-12-2006, 02:27 PM
MINI~193
1st Gear
Originally Posted by clarkdr81
It would add some flavor to their patrol fleets but a 4 cylinder engine may not be acceptable. I don't know if they have any rules about that...
I don't think 4 cylinders should matter. Their Motorcycles are BMW's with 2 cylinders.

Old 10-12-2006, 02:28 PM
planeguy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINI~193
I had a VERY strange thought the other day when I was FLYING down a twisty two lane Hwy-???. What if the California Highway Patrol, (or any Law Enforcement Agency) got a JCW setup Mini S. They could come up on me like the wind. But then I thought nawwwww they wouldn’t do that. Or would they? A JCW CHP Pursuit Vehicle built just for the twisties.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Elaborate.
Dream.
Imagine.
Throw a rock at it.

NOTE: I hope I haven’t given Law Enforcement an idea here…
RoadKill

Watch an episode of cops!......There is a reason they need powerful heavy cruisers.......Not only do they need to be able to bang into other cars....the kind of off-road action the average HP car sees is considerable.

MINI's though great handling.....won't handle a pothole let alone a pothead

Old 10-12-2006, 02:31 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MINI~193
See https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=80382

There are MANY cars out there better and faster than a JCW Mini for the twisties. I wouldnt be worrying about a MINI. I'd be worried about some of the other cars ...

Old 10-12-2006, 02:41 PM
Gromit801
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The CHP also has pursuit Camaro's and used to have some Mustangs. However, on a twisty winding road.... they'd just radio ahead.

This got me to thinking about a model of an F4 painted in CHP colors and markings someone had at the IMPS Nationals once.

Old 10-12-2006, 02:51 PM
moreorless
6th Gear
Something like this?

Old 10-12-2006, 02:54 PM
moreorless
6th Gear
Or like this?

Old 10-12-2006, 03:20 PM
batgirlwildcat
6th Gear
Originally Posted by planeguy
MINI's though great handling.....won't handle a pothole let alone a pothead

Old 10-12-2006, 03:26 PM
Mini Mizer
5th Gear
Ive seen a state-trooper in a Corvette. He pulled over two sports bikes.

I wonder if they modifey those specialty cars, or if they are just stock

Old 10-12-2006, 04:33 PM
allenski
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Mini Mizer
Ive seen a state-trooper in a Corvette. He pulled over two sports bikes.

I wonder if they modifey those specialty cars, or if they are just stock
I know my friend who's dad was in the California Highway Patrol, his dad told him the specialty cars are modded for higher performance, although he couldn't be specific on how they were modded.

Old 10-12-2006, 06:07 PM
A S K
3rd Gear
mini for cops is like trying to suffice a pig on a hamster cage. hope no cop around here... ever watch 'die hard'... twinkies, ding-dongs, pretzels, doughnuts are there partners. would be funny to watch a chase though...

never around when you need them but always around when you dont... or is it just me. hahaha

cops are my best friends

Old 10-12-2006, 06:15 PM
BECOKA
4th Gear
Problem is the computer they use would take up the whole passenger seat. It would be kinda hard to ride with a partner.

Old 10-12-2006, 06:18 PM
A S K
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by BECOKA
Problem is the computer they use would take up the whole passenger seat. It would be kinda hard to ride with a partner.
not if the partners name is 'boston cream, twister, cinnamin roll with foldgers cream and sugar.

Old 10-12-2006, 06:25 PM
BECOKA
4th Gear
Originally Posted by A S K
not if the partners name is 'boston cream, twister, cinnamin roll with foldgers cream and sugar.

Old 10-12-2006, 06:52 PM
planeguy
6th Gear
And yet they would still catch you and put your face on the ground.

Old 10-12-2006, 09:26 PM
89AKurt
6th Gear
I often think a MINI plain wrapper patrol car would catch many boneheads doing stupid things.

Old 12-20-2007, 07:36 PM
Miniriffic
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by allenski
I know my friend who's dad was in the California Highway Patrol, his dad told him the specialty cars are modded for higher performance, although he couldn't be specific on how they were modded.
Higher performance mods for police vehicles are probably the norm. I used to work for GM, and one of our electricians figured out how to disable the electronic speed governor for the street version of the Buick Grand National. (I think he had help from the PhD electrical engineers in the Advanced Engineering department.) At the time, it was the fastest car GM made. Police departments could buy the same car without the governor.

Old 12-20-2007, 07:49 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Gromit801
The CHP also has pursuit Camaro's and used to have some Mustangs. However, on a twisty winding road.... they'd just radio ahead...
Yep, nothin' faster than Motorola.

LMAO!

Originally Posted by 89AKurt
I often think a MINI plain wrapper patrol car would catch many boneheads doing stupid things.
Back East they use Mazda and other non-descript American sedans for such purposes. I haven't tried, but I don't think you can fit a shotgun in the boot of a MINI.

Nice thread dredge, Miniriffic.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:52 PM
minibeel
Coordinator :: PDX MINI
MINI could work, as most people will pull over when the lights come on. CHP and WASP both use BMW motorcycles; I'm sure they wouldn't if size were an issue. Granted, the motorcycles have some acceleration and top-speed numbers to their advantage. Although... meter-readers and parking ticket cops could use MINI's.

dan

Old 12-20-2007, 09:25 PM
mc40mini
2nd Gear
Check out the Pic on my gallery. I'll upload some more
SEMA show 2007

Old 12-20-2007, 09:48 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Ok well lets look at this logically, a patrol car is a mobile office (computer printer files pens video/mic equip etc), need toXport the Officer and possibly a prisoner, hold a few radios, first aid kits, road flares reflective vests, emgergency lighting andsirens) Tight but it can all fit.

Impala, Charger, Crown Vic can all pretty much out power the MINI. Reliabilty, well as a MINI owner I cannot reccomend the brand anymore, and there are techs out there that agree with me, sad but true MINIs have issues and will beextremely expensive to maintain esp. on a fleet level basis, now on that fleet level basis the big three have programs modifications and support, MINI offers no such program on the same scale. Again adding to the expense. Now this car is costing you the tax payer ridiculous amounts of money to keep on the road (did I mention real world mpg isn't much better if not worse than some of these V8s?) and you start asking why it's costing you so much for the service anddemand change (jobs have been lost over this).

Now lets bring this down to another level, stopping a car in the twisties, many have very narrow to no shoulders, some have a few pull offs when you're lucky, now you're asking the officer to get out where both directions of traffic post a serious threat and they both have little notice before coming around a corner and approaching the stopped vehicles, now you're causing a significantly increased risk for a minor/routine traffic stop. the other optionis follow through until clear of the twisties, in which case any other squad or radio out there will just as effectively catch violators. Only need to ook so far as this falls Dragon crackdown to see how effective Crown Vics and even SUVs can be in twisty conditions.

There is some preformance data on the MI State Police website that does standardized preformance testing, but their site seems to be down tonight.

Possible, impractical but if someone really wanted to doable.

BTW-Douubt it would be any less respected bythe public than a crownvic out there, as without strobes, tint or stray antenna I was asked if my JB MINI could be used as a squad car

Old 12-20-2007, 09:57 PM
jrlombard
2nd Gear
The Colorado State Troopers have a Subie STI...so why not?

Old 12-21-2007, 04:57 PM
MBR
2nd Gear
It's a good idea, the car will keep up with almost anything!

Where I'm from, the police department has a ferrari. Another department has a diablo, must be pretty nice for the cops!

Old 12-21-2007, 05:03 PM
roaduscarnivorous
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MBR
Where I'm from, the police department has a ferrari. Another department has a diablo, must be pretty nice for the cops!
where are you from?

beverly hills pd had land rover discoverys for a while. there're some german police (polizei!) mini's, they look sweet. as for chp? stick w/ the american cars. mustangs look great in chp colors, they should do it

Quick Reply: R50/53 Highway Patrol in a JCW MINI ?