R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 All bicycle riders and their MINIs

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 07:36 AM
Gilman
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All bicycle riders and their MINIs

To all the people that ride bicycles and own a Mini.

I don't have a Mini yet, but am looking into getting one in the near future, but I am consirned about my bike and how to transport it in the Mini.

Who out there has a roof rack, rear rack for your bicycle, do you have any problems mounting the rack, scratching your car?

Do you put your bike in your Mini instead of on a rack, and is there enough room to do this?

I ride my bike everyday of my life and I need to know that I can keep doing this once I get my Mini.

Thanks for all the help in advance,

Gilman.

Old 10-18-2006, 08:07 AM
MaxN
Reverse Gear
My mountain bike fits in the back, assuming I pull the wheels off, and I only have to fold one seat

I have managed to slot two bikes in - again with only one folded seat, but it was a little 'tight'.

I also have a bike-rack that I bought for a Jeep, it fits reasonably well and holds two bikes in comfort, but you have to remove the rack to open the hatch.....

Old 10-18-2006, 08:20 AM
jyung
1st Gear
I can fit a road bike in the car with rear seats folded down and just the front wheel off. Handlebars in first, seat on the driver's side, drivetrain facing up. I don't even have to tilt the passenger seat forward if I turn the handlebars all the way to the right (facing up) and hook the left handlebar around the left shoulder of the passenger seat.

Confused yet? My bike fits great.

Old 10-18-2006, 08:36 AM
SayGoodbye
6th Gear
Old 10-18-2006, 09:10 AM
mtbscott
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have had a Thule roofrack with Rocky Mountain trays on my car since day two of ownership. Have been on many trips, short and long, with my bike and never a problem. Picture of my car in my gallery.

Old 10-18-2006, 09:24 AM
JEA
Neutral
Saris Bones

Another good bike carrier which I have used on the Mini is the Saris Bones -- it is the easiest to use of any I have used and is also secures the bikes better than most.

Old 10-18-2006, 09:31 AM
Dinger28
2nd Gear
I too ride bikes just about every day. I have had many types of cars with roof racks, hatch racks, and rear racks, as I have raced bikes for about 13 years. A rear mounted rack (hitch) is your best option for a few reasons.
1. it keeps your bikes away from your car at all times. this means no scratches.
2 you can take off the rack easily. I dont like leaving the rack on without bikes on it, i dont think it looks as good with an empty rack on.
3 as opposed to a roof rack, you can easily wax your car without going through the hassle of taking off your roof rack. Yes you could wax around it if need be.
4. I can just take it off and set it in my garage until I need to use it again.

I had the Mini Fini rear rack mounted and love it. I can fit my BMX Road and MTB on there without a problem. There are 2 pipe-like pieces that come out of the rear bumper that make it look like you have a quad exhaust. haha

Roof racks are ok but there area some downfalls.
1. The waxing issue as stated above
2.the whistling noise you get when driving at speed
3. Not a huge deal but you get less MPG, more noticable on long trips
4. there is always a chance of you dropping your bike on your roof.
5. Correct me if I am wrong) I believe the factory roof rack drills holes in your roof. But I know that Yakima and Thule make ones that dont.

I would say the only downfall of the Mini Fini that I can say is that after the year that I have had it the paint on it has faded a bit. I could personally care less, but could be fixed with a trip to the powder coater.
Hope this helps

Old 10-18-2006, 10:27 AM
Gilman
1st Gear
Hey thanks everyone for the comments.

I currently have an older civic hatchback that I have always put my bike in the back of my car, I just wasn't sure if I could do the same with the Mini.

I hate the look of any bike rack, though the hitch style sounds like a good idea.

Gilman.

Old 10-18-2006, 10:42 AM
fred3
4th Gear
Here's mine...

Works like a charm. :-)

Attached Thumbnails All bicycle riders and their MINIs-img_0881_1_1.jpg  
Old 10-18-2006, 10:59 AM
mini-mine
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just shove it in my boot with the rear seats folded down (with the front wheel off)

Old 10-18-2006, 11:30 AM
DixonL2
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
egads, in the USA (especially here in Texas!) it's a "trunk" ;-)

just funnin' ya...

Roof rack for me, an old Barrecrafters that works great, coupla fork mounts on there spaced to clear the sunroof in the open position. If the paint smudges a little, I'm not super worried - cars are made to be used. Know, though, that some bicycle mount and rack combinations are too low to clear an open sunroof in the back, had to mount my bike mounts outboard of the pylons. Also, a spoiler removes most of the wind noise.

I'm getting a 1 1/4" receiver hitch though, for reasons above. They're by far the best option, keep bike out of airstream, easy install/remove, no paint contact. Only drawback is in bad weather the schmutz gathers on the bike - a good reason to get a cyclocross bike in addition to the others in your stable... or have a dinky utility trailer like I do that has forkmount bike racks on ITS roof! (come to think of it, I have to repaint that thing to match the Mini...)

Remember too, the mathematical formula for the ideal number of bicycles to own (it's actually identical to the number of Minis one should own):

n + 1

...where "n" is the number of bicycles currently owned.

Old 10-18-2006, 12:31 PM
Duck360198
6th Gear
Look for "Konky"...sweet setup there!

Old 10-18-2006, 12:37 PM
Scavenger
6th Gear
Seems like not many folks have the Sportlink. It's a great option though, as you can hook all sorts of things into it, take a look at MINI FINI

Old 10-18-2006, 01:32 PM
Mahatma Kane
1st Gear
I used to have a Honda Civic hatchback also. My 56 cm. road bike fit inside that car easily with the front wheel off. The same bike fits fine inside the MINI, but I have to remove both wheels.

Old 10-18-2006, 05:31 PM
rigidjunkie
6th Gear
The Mini Fini is the best option in my oppinion. I have had mine a little over a year and would not use anything else. Mini Fini also has a bunch of cool attachments and the guy who does the stuff is supper cool to boot (boot joke in case nobody got it)

Old 10-18-2006, 07:24 PM
RR XING
1st Gear
I have the Sport Link and it's great. Any car manufacturer that has bike rack options has my kind of car. A great accessary for my Trek Madone 5.9 SL.

Attached Thumbnails All bicycle riders and their MINIs-dsc01643.jpg   All bicycle riders and their MINIs-dsc01642.jpg  
Old 10-18-2006, 09:30 PM
Cadzillac
Neutral
Rack it up!

Buster and I like the Thule.

Matter of personal preference, I really like the way a roof rack looks. I leave it on pretty much year-round. There is noise...however I have the music on enough that I am rarely aware of it (the Mini inherently not the quietest of vehicles). It has been through a few trips on turbulent days and the set-up inspired confidence. Also initiated quite a few conversations that inevitably begin "that bike is bigger than your car" including one with a really good looking cop and that totally made my day.

BONUS 1: Bought a huge mirror (awesome clearance price!!!!) and was able to tie it down on that rack (next to the bike) for the ride home. It WAS bigger than the car (first time unscrewing the antenna...amazingly reception was the same!).

BONUS 2: SO much easier to find Buster in a parking lot...just look for the bike.

Agree, it WILL leave marks that will need serious, potentially costly attention.

Great luck with your decision...you'll be thrilled either way!

Attached Thumbnails All bicycle riders and their MINIs-rack.jpg  
Old 10-18-2006, 10:39 PM
ootah
2nd Gear
Have not mounted on my MINI yet, but have used 10+ years on last two cars and works great.

Plan on mounting when tags finally arrive (6 month wait so far).

http://www.bdiracks.com/bdiplate.html

Another cool feature is you can open the boot with the rack in place, mind you carefully.

Last edited by ootah; 10-18-2006 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Burp..
Old 10-19-2006, 02:40 AM
fred3
4th Gear
There is always that, but a bit snug with 2 bikes. A bit less messy after a ride my way.

Old 10-23-2006, 01:13 PM
Konky
4th Gear
Here's my setup:

Old 10-23-2006, 05:21 PM
vazquezgordo
3rd Gear
I have the OEM roof rack and can not complain. I looks great!

Old 10-23-2006, 05:34 PM
BECOKA
4th Gear
I really like the look of the roof mounted one but due to the noise on my last car I am leaning toward the sport link version for the rear.

Oh my, I have been waiting for about a month for my car now and just now I realized my Canondale bike is the same color as the car.

Old 10-24-2006, 05:03 PM
andrsncpr
Coordinator :: River City Minis
Here is a picture of mine with Thule roof racks. No problems, but recommend the fairing to reduce noise.

Old 10-24-2006, 08:03 PM
powershot
1st Gear
I have the MINI-FINI - works great, especially after a muddy cyclocross race
With the checkmate interior and the space grey cloth, I need to keep it as clean as possible.

Old 10-24-2006, 08:08 PM
TsPoet
2nd Gear
gas mileage

I'm trying to decide between the roof rack and a trailer - anyone have an opinion as to which is easier on the gas mileage?
I need to transport kayaks and recumbent bikes.

Quick Reply: R50/53 All bicycle riders and their MINIs