R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Tornado Fuel Saver on Mini Cooper S?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 05:25 PM
valcom111t
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All you'll do is impede the airflow. What it claims to do is circulate the air going into the motor so it mixes with the fuel or something along those lines. It won't "work" with a supercharger because the air goes through the SC after going through the tornado thing, so you lose any potential gain from the turbulent air.

Old 11-01-2006, 05:26 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Im impressed (confused?) that you're doing the intake installs like a pro
but scared to do the auto window up. jk

Old 11-01-2006, 05:28 PM
A S K
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by valcom111t
All you'll do is impede the airflow. What it claims to do is circulate the air going into the motor so it mixes with the fuel or something along those lines. It won't "work" with a supercharger because the air goes through the SC after going through the tornado thing, so you lose any potential gain from the turbulent air.
than what is the purpose and spending so much on our air filter,.......more noise?

Old 11-01-2006, 05:30 PM
valcom111t
4th Gear
Originally Posted by A S K
than what is the purpose and spending so much on our air filter,.......more noise?
Other than keeping out dirt and such?

Old 11-01-2006, 05:32 PM
A S K
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by kenchan
Im impressed (confused?) that you're doing the intake installs like a pro
but scared to do the auto window up. jk
something small as tornado wont shut down the car but electrical issues which i experienced got me thinking twice. you never know, i just might have to get the auto-window upper for your sake.

Old 11-01-2006, 05:41 PM
A S K
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by valcom111t
Other than keeping out dirt and such?
and give you more air intake for added power.....? i thought, so i bought and added something that will vortex the air-intake for better induction for all that is good that goes about bumping in the night

Old 11-01-2006, 05:42 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
something small as tornado wont shut down the car but electrical issues which i experienced got me thinking twice. you never know, i just might have to get the auto-window upper for your sake.

never know, that tornado might collapse under wot and enter the
throttle body, then into the cylinders.

Old 11-01-2006, 05:44 PM
TheSilverBullet
4th Gear
^^^ now THAT would hurt

Old 11-01-2006, 05:54 PM
A S K
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by kenchan
never know, that tornado might collapse under wot and enter the
throttle body, then into the cylinders.
pleaseeeeeee, dont say something like that for i fear it might be:impatient. i jammed that tornado tightly in the pipe and seems pretty well made.

Old 11-01-2006, 06:06 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
pleaseeeeeee, dont say something like that for i fear it might be:impatient. i jammed that tornado tightly in the pipe and seems pretty well made.
oh no, you probably cracked your pipe from over torque. jk jk

Old 11-01-2006, 06:59 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
sorry to hear about your incidence with your dads car but when its time to go its time to go, most important thing is 'nobody got hurt'.

i hope you can read this before installing this weekend.
since i have the 'S' also, i called the tornado mechanic at the head quarters and got some important information: if you read the instruction, for turbo cars, you would need to install the tornado on the throttle body end instead of the filter. since our minis are supercharged, we must do the same way. if it is normal aspirated car than you would need to install it before the filter however ours is before the throttle.
i know there is a difference but you try it and share your experience. mpg will rise .3-.6 per gallon and the response will be better on the hwy.
upon reading all respected thoughts & opinions, how many of yous are speaking out of experience or just relying on ideology and spreading the rumors?
i too was once a non-believer on this product until i experienced it thus making me a little wiser person to not listen to all people with just ideological opinions who has not experienced it and go about spreading rumors that aint true. than again, it might be jut me......but nahhhhhhh, i see someone else concurrs with my experience. oh yeah!!!!

I'm going to cry BS but since that is not enough for you I guess I will explain it too.

Originally Posted by HowStuffWorks.com

The difference between the two devices is their source of energy. Turbochargers are powered by the mass-flow of exhaust gases driving a turbine. Superchargers are powered mechanically by belt- or chain-drive from the engine's crankshaft.
An ordinary four-stroke engine dedicates one stroke to the process of air intake. There are three steps in this process:
  1. The piston moves down.
  2. This creates a vacuum.
  3. Air at atmospheric pressure is sucked into the combustion chamber.
Once air is drawn into the engine, it must be combined with fuel to form the charge -- a packet of potential energy that can be turned into useful kinetic energy through a chemical reaction known as combustion. The spark plug initiates this chemical reaction by igniting the charge. As the fuel undergoes oxidation, a great deal of energy is released. The force of this explosion, concentrated above the cylinder head, drives the piston down and creates a reciprocating motion that is eventually transferred to the wheels.
So a SC engine has no gain from this because our air flow goes intake, SC, IC, engine block, the air flow gets changed up in the SC and the IC, negates anything the tornado would do.

Turbo Engine, almost the same, more turbos go sans IC for the tornado to have any effect on air enterin the block, must be after the turbo.

So you stil claim it will work on an N/A engine ehh?

Well Basically all this does is create turbulance unlike the animation (just like the Simpsons and Family Guy, please don't claim those people really exist) used for marketing purposes only all it will do is slow and disrupt the flow of air. Power comes from the explosion, the spark is the same , the fuel is the same, so air is the variable, more air burns more fuel, you get more power and better efficeny (and thus better mpg). Well with a constant volume how to get more air, there is only one way, density. Spinning air does nothing to change its density, if it could cool air without dispersing it then you could make a mildly founded claim.

However this product is complete BS, the gains are placebo and driving habit effect at best.

The crowd seems to be going easy on you typically a product like this gets you 6 pages of . Don't believe idealolodgy beacuse it comes from a salesman. Get yourself brought up to speed on the science and technology used.

Old 11-01-2006, 09:12 PM
creseida
4th Gear
motor on beat me to it. creates turbulence, which isn't what you want in your air intake.

they sell them on ebay, dirt cheap there.... one size fits aney car from the pics.

Old 11-01-2006, 09:57 PM
Celtic Frost
3rd Gear
Old 11-01-2006, 09:58 PM
valcom111t
4th Gear
motor on basically said what I was trying to say, only much much better.

Old 11-01-2006, 10:49 PM
ootah
2nd Gear
I think the argument is well address in this post: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...94&postcount=8

For simplification purposes just follow this link to referenced material. http://www.fuelsaving.info/turbulence.htm

Damn, forgot which x we are on...

Florida by birth, Gator by grace of God...

Old 11-01-2006, 11:17 PM
A S K
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by motor on
I'm going to cry BS but since that is not enough for you I guess I will explain it too.

So a SC engine has no gain from this because our air flow goes intake, SC, IC, engine block, the air flow gets changed up in the SC and the IC, negates anything the tornado would do.

Turbo Engine, almost the same, more turbos go sans IC for the tornado to have any effect on air enterin the block, must be after the turbo.

So you stil claim it will work on an N/A engine ehh?

Well Basically all this does is create turbulance unlike the animation (just like the Simpsons and Family Guy, please don't claim those people really exist) used for marketing purposes only all it will do is slow and disrupt the flow of air. Power comes from the explosion, the spark is the same , the fuel is the same, so air is the variable, more air burns more fuel, you get more power and better efficeny (and thus better mpg). Well with a constant volume how to get more air, there is only one way, density. Spinning air does nothing to change its density, if it could cool air without dispersing it then you could make a mildly founded claim.

However this product is complete BS, the gains are placebo and driving habit effect at best.

The crowd seems to be going easy on you typically a product like this gets you 6 pages of . Don't believe idealolodgy beacuse it comes from a salesman. Get yourself brought up to speed on the science and technology used.
nice said and read but all i hear is again someone trying to convince everybody by thorough explanation on it ought to be with or without actual experience? do you have it in your car?

Old 11-01-2006, 11:27 PM
A S K
3rd Gear
any golfers? if so, do you think a non-golfer could ever feel the way a real golfer would feel, especially hole-in-ones? or even in how people think what one important thing to remember when using the driver to tee off?
the ones who experience it would know what i got and not just think i got...
i hope you understand

Old 11-01-2006, 11:38 PM
glnr13
6th Gear
any golfers? if so, do you think a non-golfer could ever feel the way a real golfer would feel, especially hole-in-ones? or even in how people think what one important thing to remember when using the driver to tee off?
the ones who experience it would know what i got and not just think i got...
i hope you understand
i hear what you're trying to say but you have to understand that the physics of this item is not unlike a lot of golf "aids" out in the infomercial world...

here's the scoop... if tiger woods used a special aid to help w/ his swing everyone would use it. hence, if race cars use the tornado then no questions asked...

but the thing is, this item in question (the tornado) is not being used by professional racers. it's a keen idea but does it work? well, you'll have to be our judge and tell us if it's working....

i believe we met at steve's auto clinic a few weeks ago... you were trying to get the AGS v.3 installed right?

my point: you have a lot of great/significant mods. why impede it w/ this contraption? the k&n pipe is smooth as a baby's behind, the alta intercooler is larger than stock, you're pulley is reduced over the stock by (insert number here)%, why cheapen all these quality mods w/ a gimmick like the "tornado"?

i say this, drive it around for 2 more gas tanks w/ this thing on. then, take it off and run it for 2 gas tanks... come back and tell us if it's really making a difference in power, gas mileage, etc...
-glen

Old 11-02-2006, 12:08 AM
A S K
3rd Gear
hey you... thanks for showing me your car with the dampers. upon observing your damper at work i thought it was a great mod and especially against the price. i felt what you had said about your car when i got it installed and fired it up and drove on it and wow, what a difference, just like you said it should effect. i posted a thread on this experience and needed to share, like you did to me, but some are still hard deciding on this mod that is sooooo worth its money and you know once they feel it or experience it you know they will be happy, like you did too me. thanks.
are dampers used in formula one cars or indy cars?
i dont think so. not all mods out in the market is in the those professional sport cars.
like all im trying to say is 'do you have it too?

Old 11-02-2006, 12:13 AM
A S K
3rd Gear
and for tiger woods, he can't even if he wanted too, theres regulation *how many pieces of clubs you can carry.
so, is there more than 14 'make your swing perfect' devices on the market or are all those celebrities just lieing, all of them?
ah yah yah, who do can we trust, hmmmmmmmmm......

Old 11-02-2006, 12:16 AM
glnr13
6th Gear
are dampers used in formula one cars or indy cars?
i dont think so. not all mods out in the market is in the those professional sport cars.
like all im trying to say is 'do you have it too?
true, true... but they do have different bushings/engine mounts that don't require an engine dampener... and thru tried/tested results thru many other MINI owners those things are gems.

but back to the tornado, either way, pls do the comparison test for us... i'd love to see if the numbers are worth the install... (i don't think too many are running this, so you and ukhan24 are gonna have to be our test rats... )

and for tiger woods, he can't even if he wanted too, theres regulation *how many pieces of clubs you can carry.
so, is there more than 14 'make your swing perfect' devices on the market or are all those celebrities just lieing, all of them?
ah yah yah, who do can we trust, hmmmmmmmmm......
and as far as this part goes... i wasn't really talking about on course aids, those are illegal, i was referring to swing aids... a piece of rope works great for learning your swing tempo but i don't see anyone on the tour using that as an aid... doesn't mean it won't work.

Old 11-02-2006, 12:34 AM
A S K
3rd Gear
than why are you trying to convince others without trying it and experiencing it? some can be misleading since without experience you can be found like an idiot or tested rat if not proven to your thinking.
you state we will be the rats but this rat spoke and you did not listen. you ask of something you dont mean to consider.

from what i remember, you had the k&n HAI. can you install tornado in your cooper?

Old 11-02-2006, 12:35 AM
A S K
3rd Gear
than why are you trying to convince others without trying it and experiencing it? some can be misleading since without experience you can be found like an idiot or tested rat if not proven to your thinking.
you state we will be the rats but this rat spoke and you did not listen. you ask of something you dont mean to consider.

from what i remember, you had the k&n HAI. can you install tornado in your cooper?

Old 11-02-2006, 12:49 AM
A S K
3rd Gear
[quote=glnr13;1207023]i hear what you're trying to say but you have to understand that the physics of this item is not unlike a lot of golf "aids" out in the infomercial world...

i think you totally misread my comparison. if you read it again, you will note i am trying to relay a message of 'experience' or 'feeling it' and not any aids of golf in the infomercial world. are you speed reader? if not read carefully to not assume and create something irrelevant and get you stunned.

if you have read from the beginning and get my drift, i read the cons beyond cons about this product but like ive been asking, 'do you have it in your mini?

there are smart guys like you but cutting in line will when caught will get you behind the line.

if i were you without the tornado, i would tell ukhan24 to give me your expereince with it so i can compare to those rumors.

Old 11-02-2006, 12:49 AM
glnr13
6th Gear

take it easy bro.. im just saying that since you have it, tell us your results.
show us a comparison of a before and after...

correct, i have the k&n hai. i don't swear by it... i just personally like it. i like the sound, i like it's performance on the highway. the hai has greater heat soak than any intake mod, i know it's pluses and minuses...
and no, due to the fact that it's strapped onto the TB i can't get the tornado on. and to be honest i'm not convinced of the tornado's performance... this is why i was suggesting that you show us what it can do.

im not trying to egg you on or push your buttons, im honestly curious as to your results... by calling you guys test rats i meant no insult... sorry if it was taken that way.

i think you totally misread my comparison. if you read it again, you will note i am trying to relay a message of 'experience' or 'feeling it' and not any aids of golf in the infomercial world. are you speed reader? if not read carefully to not assume and create something irrelevant and get you stunned.

if you have read from the beginning and get my drift, i read the cons beyond cons about this product but like ive been asking, 'do you have it in your mini?

there are smart guys like you but cutting in line will when caught will get you behind the line.

if i were you without the tornado, i would tell ukhan24 to give me your expereince with it so i can compare to those rumors.
and fwiw.. i read this thread from the beginning and all you posted was .3-.6 mpg increase, nothing about performance issues, etc.

since you feel that i'm trying to "cut in line" i'll step out of this thread... sorry for bothering you

Quick Reply: R50/53 Tornado Fuel Saver on Mini Cooper S?