R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Tornado Fuel Saver on Mini Cooper S?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 06:22 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by A S K
thanks for your thought and illustration to give us a better picture, but did you try it?
my experience with cruise control on my gs300 and the mini cooper proved otherwise. the gas consumption on cruise control was lot greater than without.
anyonce care to share their experience and not thoughts. this is free and we all have it so try it and see what the result is.

today seems like 'lets defy A S K day'. its all cool as long as we share our mini enthusiasm together.
Extensive amounts of highway driving with and without CC no change as far as that goes on cross country trips based on refilling at the pump and diving by miles driven. (All 4 tanks were within .5 mpg, 1 without CC and 3)

I've got nothing to do with defiance, just trying to get the information to be accurate.

Old 11-02-2006, 07:44 PM
DixonL2
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sheesh, I just used cruise control so the test conditions would be as similar as I could make them without dusting off my personal Nardi test track (constant speed, and minimizes the effect any personal lack of patience would have on the results).

Cruise will improve MPG if you're an impatient type or one who maintains speed by the "surge and drift" method. WOOOOO-aaaah-WOOOO-aaaahh. I've ridden with people like that...

There is no science in the turbolator, it's just a flow restriction.

Although, the line about the politician-slick lubricants got me chuckling.

Move along... nothing to see here... move along...

Old 11-03-2006, 06:32 AM
okraD La
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Reading over this thread about improved gas mileage made me think about a Mythbusters episode....(which BTW this vortex or tornado thing would be excellent to ask them about) Anyways, the episode had to do with people that drive their pickup trucks with the gate opened....
If you did not see the show, guess which pickup (identical F150s) got better mileage???
The pickup with the gate up...(due to the cushion of air created by the raised gate) actually aided the airflow over the back. The gate down created drag..
So much drag that the pickup with the raised gate got an extra 30 miles out of the tank....interesting.huh....
Oh and the testing conditions were identical, they even used cruise control...

Last edited by okraD La; 11-03-2006 at 01:30 PM. Reason: addtl comments
Old 11-03-2006, 07:51 AM
Squirlz
6th Gear
^^Hmmmmm....maybe the Tornado Fool Maker,er, Fuel Saver should be installed on the tailgate then?

Old 11-03-2006, 12:48 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Old 11-03-2006, 01:06 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Greatbear
yes.
so, we got done with our breif appetizer introduction of this product.

now, let's get on with the actual main dish.

Old 11-03-2006, 01:20 PM
Skiploder
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A S K:

Here on NAM there exists a special method of testing modifications to your car - it is called a "butt-dyno".

The butt-dyno is truly a marvelous thing. Instead of using real objective data to prove the power gains of a product, it measures it by the literal seat of your pants. In other words, if the car feels smoother, seems to be more responsive or the driveability increases, the butt dyno will register it.

Clumsy and biased methods such as the dyno are a thing of the past here on NAM. The butt-dyno cannot be disproven - mainly because you can't feel what I feel through my derriere.

Additionally, the accuracy and veracity of the butt-dyno is in direct proportion to your post count here on NAM. In other words, if you've spammed over 2K posts, your butt-dyno measurements will be deemed more accurate than someone with less than 200 posts.

Another well know rule of the butt-dyno is that of you have less than 5 posts and claim a butt-dyno increase - you automatically qualify as being a "Troll". yoiu have been warned - tell your friends.......

The Tornado really should fall into this category. There have been plenty of products that have been advertised and sold here on NAM that have never really documented a gain on the dyno or other objective measuring device but have been deemed worthy by the NAMistas because a prolific poster has felt a positive difference through the seat of his pants.

I have a couple serious words of advice for you:

(1) Whether the Tornado works or not is irrelevant. If you feel a difference, you don't need to convince anyone here. All that matters is that you feel it was money well spent.

(2) You now have six pages of responses poking fun at you and mocking the Tornado, debating Christmas, etc. Let it go.........

(3) Run your post count up to 10K or so with utterly worthless spamming of all the forums. Master the art of the short post, ie: +1, ROTFLMAO, and the emoticon and shoot right into sixth gear. Then post back here with your Tornado review. You might be pleasantly surprised at the positive repsonses you get.

(4) Get one of our NAM sponsors here to repackage the product as the "Insert Vendor Name Here" Proprietary Lightweight AirStream Molecule Booster. Then post your positive results and watch all the fan boys of that Vendor defend your honor.

BTW - Welcome to NAM!

Skip

Old 11-03-2006, 01:27 PM
MiniChik
4th Gear
This is all very interesting. We (my marketing firm) was just approached at SEMA by their competitor to do all of their marketing and brand identity, as well as getting them in the warehouses. Personally I don't know if it works or not, but the one thing about the Vortex vs. the Tornado is that it's not spot welded bits of aluminum made in Taiwain that can break but it's made from a stamped and folded single piece of stainless steel made in the USA. No chance of breaking apart and getting in your motor.

Old 11-03-2006, 01:32 PM
Gromit801
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MiniChik, I don't know how you can do it. Working in marketing would just kill me.

Old 11-03-2006, 01:46 PM
moreorless
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Skiploder
A S K:

Here on NAM there exists a special method of testing modifications to your car - it is called a "butt-dyno".

The butt-dyno is truly a marvelous thing. Instead of using real objective data to prove the power gains of a product, it measures it by the literal seat of your pants. In other words, if the car feels smoother, seems to be more responsive or the driveability increases, the butt dyno will register it.

Clumsy and biased methods such as the dyno are a thing of the past here on NAM. The butt-dyno cannot be disproven - mainly because you can't feel what I feel through my derriere.

Additionally, the accuracy and veracity of the butt-dyno is in direct proportion to your post count here on NAM. In other words, if you've spammed over 2K posts, your butt-dyno measurements will be deemed more accurate than someone with less than 200 posts.

Another well know rule of the butt-dyno is that of you have less than 5 posts and claim a butt-dyno increase - you automatically qualify as being a "Troll". yoiu have been warned - tell your friends.......

Skip
Well said Skip.....I've just had my butt-dyno recalibrated today and I can tell the MINI is definitely quicker since I painted my calipers. Um....maybe we could use the Tornado thingy as a deer whistle maybe?

....Les

Old 11-03-2006, 01:51 PM
MaxN
Reverse Gear
A S K:

You can now buy the aforementioned butt-dyno

from KaleCoAuto

Just install a great mod like a cold air intake? Electric supercharger? Big Muffler? Magnetic fuel line ionizer? Awesome wing? Are you getting no respect from your friends for your newly found power? As we all know, these are high end and sophisticated modifications. Some may be TOO sophisticated to actually show up on a traditional dyno. So here we have: The Butt Dyno. Simply place it in the seat, and drive fast, weaving in and out of traffic. (On a race course, of course.) Now you can tell your friends with confidence "That oil-saturated air filter gave me 20 horses!"

Old 11-03-2006, 01:52 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
skip is right, but when using the butt-dyno, you must first tune your bias
to the size of your butt.

for instance a larger butt will require more force for sensitivity vs a smaller butt. so the biasing is key for true real world measurements.

Old 11-03-2006, 02:14 PM
A S K
3rd Gear
A S K:

The Tornado really should fall into this category. There have been plenty of products that have been advertised and sold here on NAM that have never really documented a gain on the dyno or other objective measuring device but have been deemed worthy by the NAMistas because a prolific poster has felt a positive difference through the seat of his pants.

I have a couple serious words of advice for you:

(1) Whether the Tornado works or not is irrelevant. If you feel a difference, you don't need to convince anyone here. All that matters is that you feel it was money well spent.

(2) You now have six pages of responses poking fun at you and mocking the Tornado, debating Christmas, etc. Let it go.........

(3) Run your post count up to 10K or so with utterly worthless spamming of all the forums. Master the art of the short post, ie: +1, ROTFLMAO, and the emoticon and shoot right into sixth gear. Then post back here with your Tornado review. You might be pleasantly surprised at the positive repsonses you get.

(4) Get one of our NAM sponsors here to repackage the product as the "Insert Vendor Name Here" Proprietary Lightweight AirStream Molecule Booster. Then post your positive results and watch all the fan boys of that Vendor defend your honor.

BTW - Welcome to NAM!

Skip
is this how you play this game. so since i havent been on NAM long enough that my opinions are more liable to get under scrunity as oppose to the seniors of this group. i like the structure but it has its both pros and cons.

my company is based on your structure and i am one of the seniors however i always listen to my down-line fellow workers, whether be it in clerk, shipping, sales, etc... and take up on their ideas. whether it might be incorrect or not, its just as human being we should consider ones thought and respect it instead of bluntly shooting it down thus making them feel like stupid.
We learn from all walks of life and all ages whether experience or inexperience. everybody has a point and some points shouldnt go discarded due to seniority. i hope this doesnt fire anyone up. i do not wish to continue with this any longer. i got the point and will play by NAM rules since i already got an infraction for one of the thread i posted.

but im new to this NAM and i apologize to the seniors of this forum if i offended anyone....

Old 11-03-2006, 03:21 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
is this how you play this game. so since i havent been on NAM long enough that my opinions are more liable to get under scrunity as oppose to the seniors of this group. i like the structure but it has its both pros and cons.

my company is based on your structure and i am one of the seniors however i always listen to my down-line fellow workers, whether be it in clerk, shipping, sales, etc... and take up on their ideas. whether it might be incorrect or not, its just as human being we should consider ones thought and respect it instead of bluntly shooting it down thus making them feel like stupid.
We learn from all walks of life and all ages whether experience or inexperience. everybody has a point and some points shouldnt go discarded due to seniority. i hope this doesnt fire anyone up. i do not wish to continue with this any longer. i got the point and will play by NAM rules since i already got an infraction for one of the thread i posted.

but im new to this NAM and i apologize to the seniors of this forum if i offended anyone....
I think a good portion of Skips post was written as satire, but it did reflect a few past battles on NAM (vedor honor defense). I don't think your truly offending anyone, well at least not me. I'd take Greatbear's advice on this one. Six pages to agree to disagree, well its a bit much, and probably could have been handled in the first two, but hey more for the post count

Ken you have me laughing so hard it hurts.

Old 11-03-2006, 04:33 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Motor On
...Six pages to agree to disagree, well its a bit much,...
I disagree.

Old 11-03-2006, 05:30 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's not it at all...

so since i havent been on NAM long enough that my opinions are more liable to get under scrunity as oppose to the seniors of this group.
I think that's an unfair charecterization. I never look at the post count of people that I respond to. Maybe your posts got the reaction they did because of the content. While it is certainly true that some may defer to the high post counters here (watch out, the Short Bus has a zillion, but she isn't old like me!), I don't see it as the norm, and I catch my share of crap, just like newbies to the NAM world.....

Matt

Old 11-03-2006, 05:36 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Eric_Rowland
I disagree.
(sndwavian )
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
I think that's an unfair charecterization. I never look at the post count of people that I respond to. Maybe your posts got the reaction they did because of the content. While it is certainly true that some may defer to the high post counters here (watch out, the Short Bus has a zillion, but she isn't old like me!), I don't see it as the norm, and I catch my share of crap, just like newbies to the NAM world.....

Matt
+1 I probably get more crap for having a higher post count. Its all in the content.

Old 11-03-2006, 05:58 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Motor On

Ken you have me laughing so hard it hurts.

im just a 80% silly guy, ya know.

Old 11-03-2006, 06:22 PM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear
Being more familiar with motorcycles than cars over the last 40 or so years, in the late 1980s, Japanese motorcycle producers evolved a couple of relevant-to-this-discussion changes into their production sportbikes that are still major contributors to ultra-high-performance bikes today.

The cylinder block of across the frame, in-line fours was tilted, or laid down several degrees to give the mixture a straighter, less impeded-by-curves shot down to the intake valves. The other was locating a ram air duct into the front of the fairing that gave a straight, unimpeded shot into the airbox.

Both of these 'developments' were adapted to allow more mixture in the first case, and air in the second case, to move through the combusrtion process in a given amount of time.

The age-old art of degreeing valve seats, and porting and polishing heads are also methods of speeding up the combustion process, leading to more power.

Anything that gets in the way of speeding up this process, especially at high speeds, where the gains or losses mean the most, is undesirable.

Old 11-03-2006, 06:36 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
i too was once a non-believer on this product until i experienced it thus making me a little wiser person to not listen to all people with just ideological opinions who has not experienced it ...
Four words:

PT Barnum was right.

Dr. O (and Co) why are you all feeding the troll?

Old 11-03-2006, 07:27 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Everybody's gotta eat.

Old 11-03-2006, 08:06 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Eric_Rowland
Everybody's gotta eat.
You going to back that up???

Old 11-04-2006, 08:59 AM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by chows4us
Four words:

Dr. O (and Co) why are you all feeding the troll?
Because it's fun?

Old 11-04-2006, 10:01 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So now we have two choices!

Originally Posted by MiniChik
This is all very interesting. We (my marketing firm) was just approached at SEMA by their competitor to do all of their marketing and brand identity, as well as getting them in the warehouses. Personally I don't know if it works or not, but the one thing about the Vortex vs. the Tornado is that it's not spot welded bits of aluminum made in Taiwain that can break but it's made from a stamped and folded single piece of stainless steel made in the USA. No chance of breaking apart and getting in your motor.
I don't think the Tornado is spot welded Al. As far as I know, you can't do that..... But this is interesting, the foreign original was copied by a domestic knock off! What will the world bring us next.

But I think the criterea for purchase should still be how shiney it is. With all those surfaces the pagen lights from my heretical/hypocritical Christmass trees (I"m not all bad, we use live trees and plant them after Christmass, not bad for the agnostic son of a Jew and a dissavowed Protestant!) would really look good!

Matt

But this does bring up quite the moral dillema? Is it wrong to by non-US products if they both are crap? Should one respect the original vendor and not purchase the domestic knock off? Is it wrong to buy car parts as Christmass Tree ornamants? Now I have to go off in the corner and contemplate all the subtle moral and ethical implications of this latest twist in automotive add ons.....

Old 11-04-2006, 09:15 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
I...Now I have to go off in the corner and contemplate all the subtle moral and ethical implications of this latest twist in automotive add ons.....
I guess then it's time for Deep Thoughts, by Jack Handey

A man doesn't automatically get my respect. He has to get down in the dirt and beg for it.

And perhaps even more poignant:

Broken promises don't upset me. I just think, why did they believe me?

And on to the completely irrelevant:
Any man, in the right situation, is capable of murder. But not any man is capable of being a good camper.
So, murder and camping are not as similar as you might think.

Quick Reply: R50/53 Tornado Fuel Saver on Mini Cooper S?