R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Things to look for in a body shop....

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 05:55 PM
ionray
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Things to look for in a body shop....

So it finally happened.... Ion got rear ended. No worries, everyone's ok and accidents happen. The damage is somewhere between minimal and moderate. I'm expecting a new rear bumper and hatchback door (which currently won't close). So now I'm searching for a body shop to take it to. What are some things to look for in a shop. I've never had to deal with all of this crazy insurance stuff before. I was originally planning to take it to the dealership's recommended body shop but it's about 100 miles away.

Anyways I'd love to hear everyone's experiences in this matter. I'll post pics later anyone would like to see what the damage is.

(Anyone know any good body shops in Madison, WI?)

Old 11-28-2006, 07:32 AM
savage65
3rd Gear
The process is straight forward. An insurance asessor (sp?) from the offenders insurance company will examine the damage (often at a repair shop who will confirm afterwards that they can fix the car for the price shown on the damage report) and write up the claim using a laptop computer that has a database of the cost of all parts needed and shop rates for labor. He will then cut you a check for this amount. You will at that time need to agree that you have been paid off and that the settlement is correct.

Now you have choices. You can search around for a repair shop who will fix the car for less than the settlement and maybe make a small profit, but in doing so risk a sub standard job and aftermarket parts. Or (best bet) go with the shop the insurance company works with who agreed to fix the car for that price. In this case if there is more damage than originally estimated, you have some recourse.

In some cases if the car is drivable, just put the money in the bank and keep on motoring. Someone gave me a decent nudge six months ago and I took a $1,000 settlement for some minor rear bumper rash. I just kept the $$$ and kept going. I figure it brought down the resale price by maybe $400 so I'm $600 up on the deal.

Old 11-28-2006, 08:02 AM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ionray
(Anyone know any good body shops in Madison, WI?)
I do, but it's in DeForest, not IN Madison. Let me know if you're willing to have it towed/drive it that far and I'll go look up the name and PM it over to you. They fixed my car twice in three months several years ago and did a great job both times and have a reputation of being the best in the county.

Old 11-28-2006, 08:08 AM
minimusprime
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
which place in wisconsin is this? and i wouldn't be afraid to tow it or send it some where. Good body shops are hard to find and i wouldnt' be suprised if there wouldn't be a good one for over 100miles in wiscompton. (sp)

Old 11-28-2006, 08:25 AM
mtbscott
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We are lucky to have lots of body shops in Houston. I had some minor damage on my rear quarterpanel fixed and painted a few months back. First I asked for local recommendations like you mentioned. I went to one right in my neighborhood. He had a large picture book of work they had previously done, and offered up references if I wanted them. It was a large, high volume shop that did lots of high-end cars. I paid the $500 repair out of pocket and was very pleased with their work. Looks great and was done in just two days (body shops notoriously can drag things out at times.)

Old 11-28-2006, 08:31 AM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by prime-drk-
which place in wisconsin is this? and i wouldn't be afraid to tow it or send it some where. Good body shops are hard to find and i wouldnt' be suprised if there wouldn't be a good one for over 100miles in wiscompton. (sp)
It's about 10 minutes outside Madison. Quite a ways from Green Bay My brothers both live near you though, one in Wrightstown and one in Howard.

DeForest Collision Repair
416 N Main Street
DeForest, WI 53532
Phone: (608) 846-5380

I'm pretty sure my dad's totalled Intrepid (work car) went there too at first after he was attacked from above by a large deer...and when I was hit twice in rapid succession (some people seriously cannot drive in snow), they did a great job both times.

Another good option is to contact the local MINI dealer for a recommendation.

Old 11-28-2006, 08:32 AM
bamatt
6th Gear
To me the best & only thing to look for in a body shop (or a plastic surgeon ) is good customer referrals

I would start a new thread over on the WI local NAM boards & ask for recomendations.

Old 11-28-2006, 10:09 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i would take it to Patrick's bodyshop in Schaumburg, IL.

i think it's well worth your time and efforts although a long drive.
perhaps you can flatbed it there (?).

Old 11-28-2006, 10:53 PM
ionray
2nd Gear
Update

Thanks for all of the info. As it stands, the insurance company (mine) sent a damage appraiser over to take a look at the damage. I was very pleased with his visit, he even pointed out some damage I had not noticed! So now I wait to hear from my insurance company about the amount their ready give me.
I think I'd like to stay in the Madison area, the appraiser mentioned the local BMW dealership has handled all of the MINI's he's seen with excellent results, so I'll probably go poke my head around there and see what kind of work they do.

Here's a photo I took while waiting for the police to arrive. As you can see, it was nothing compared to some of what we see here on NAM, but I definitely can't wait to have a trunk that closes all the way.

Attached Thumbnails Things to look for in a body shop....-img_0304b.jpg  
Old 11-28-2006, 11:01 PM
Jtrem
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I never go to those run down looking body shops in the Ghetto!

Old 11-28-2006, 11:17 PM
lawsonmh
1st Gear
I sell shop supplies to quite a few body shops in the anchorage alaska area. I have seen that the shops who do the best work and are more likely to stick to the promised time schedule are those who are very well organized both in the shop and office. No old parts laying around, paperwork clearly labeled, no excess cars just laying around taking up shop space. Good luck!

Old 11-28-2006, 11:17 PM
Jtrem
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I imagine its tough to find a body shop in Alaska

Old 11-29-2006, 05:13 AM
CooperGear
Banned
I guess the real question is, who will pay for the repair? If it is you, look for a shop that does work on high end cars. They will get you good parts, but you will pay for it! Now if it is the MAN who will pay for the repair, your best bet is to go through the shop that is associated with your MINI dealer, if possible. Other than that, the insurance folks only really look at the low $$$ and not quality of service.

I know a family who had a great collision shop and a hot rod shop. The collision shop is on the rocks because the insurance system always goes with the lowest bid, even if the parts are no good.

If I were you I would take any $ for the repair, take it to a really good shop and spend the extra $$$ to get your baby fixed right.

blake