R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 hello

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2003, 11:21 AM
aero_student
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hello, I would like to intro myself to the forum.
I am an aeronautical engineering student at calpoly. I got interested in the mini because my younger brother is getting my pathfinder and I need to find a new car this summer. On paper the cooper s is exactly what I am looking for in a car, fun, safe for a small vehicle, sporty, good handling, and good fuel economy, and also better insurance rates than asian imports. I can't wait to test drive one, I will probably get to mother's day weekend. a question to the california folk, what are good dealers in norcal and bay area? (I am from folsom, up by sacramento)

Old 04-23-2003, 11:23 AM
Phobol
4th Gear
check dealer ratings in the left menu.

Old 04-23-2003, 11:25 AM
Trippy
Banned
Oh, you're gonna' love it.

I've had my MINI Cooper for almost a year now, and it's GGGGRRRREEEEAAAATTTT!!!!

Old 04-23-2003, 11:37 AM
vespa
4th Gear
Welcome! You're going to love the MINI but I have some bad news for you -- everyone else loves it too! You'll need to place an order today at a dealer several states away if you're going to stand a chance of being behind the wheel this summer. I had to go to Dallas, but I think they're available as close as Colorado now.

Old 04-23-2003, 11:39 AM
VerucaSalt
Coordinator :: Mid-Atlantic
Welcome to the board and have fun on your test drive. I know you will!

Old 04-23-2003, 11:41 AM
aero_student
1st Gear
I am hoping I will be able to fina a used 2002 cooper s for a decent price when the 2004's come out. btw, does anyone know when the 2004's will be coming out?

Old 04-23-2003, 11:43 AM
Minae
2nd Gear
September for the '04 Coopers is what I remember hearing...

Old 04-23-2003, 11:47 AM
FraserBonnett
3rd Gear
As an Aerospace Engineer from Penn State ('85) I can guarantee you'll appreciate this car! :smile:

Old 04-23-2003, 11:55 AM
vespa
4th Gear
September is when the first '04 will be produced, It'll be November by the time an '04 hits sunny soil, and March by the time any significant numbers are available to persuade '02 owners to sell. Don't mean to rain on your parade, but there's still quite a shortage of these things and you're in for a big project if you intend to find a used model, especially an S, and at a "good price", this summer.

Old 04-23-2003, 12:32 PM
aero_student
1st Gear
I am not on any real time frame, I would like to get it at the end of the summer, but I would not have anything against waiting until next winter. I am also starting to get curious about the cvt.

Old 04-23-2003, 12:41 PM
Minikin
1st Gear
Hi aero_student,

I went to Cal Poly too! Go Mustangs!
Mini of Concord will give you the keys and let you test drive on your own. No appointments. They let me take it for a good half hour or so. But the only NorCal dealer selling at MSRP is East Bay MINI in Pleasanton. The wait for a spec'ed car is about 10-12 months for an S. I finally got to order mine after putting my name on the list last June.

Old 04-23-2003, 12:52 PM
NUMMYTIME
2nd Gear
Welcome aero! I'm in Milwaukee and the wait here is 2 months. Another option for you would be look into buying from my dealer, International MINI (or another with a shorter waiting period), and having it shipped. You'd have to pay probably about $600 for shipment, but wouldn't have as long of a wait.

>>I am not on any real time frame, I would like to get it at the end of the summer, but I would not have anything against waiting until next winter. I am also starting to get curious about the cvt.

FYI: The CVT is not available in the Cooper S model, only the base Cooper. I'm not sure about the 2004 models.

A QUESTION FOR ANYONE: My dealer told me they are allotted 30 vehicles (MINIs) per month. Do you know if this is standard for all or is each dealer different?

I have a feeling that once you test drive, aero, that wait til winter is going to seem longer than it does now. I'm halfway through waiting my 2 months and I am planning a trip back to the dealer just to get up close and personal for my fix to tide me over til mine comes in. You're in for an amazing discovery!!!

NUMMY

Old 04-23-2003, 01:01 PM
Mister_S
3rd Gear
Hi aero_student,

Welcome to MCO from another Cal Poly engineering grad ('94 BSME)!

My brother just ordered an MC from East Bay MINI in Pleasanton. He waited only six weeks to place his order, but the S I'm sure has a longer wait. He has so far been thoroughly pleased with the process and treatment there and they sell at MSRP with no add-ons. A friend just test drove a car at Sacramento MINI and they are charging a $2500 premium. He said they had a rude take-it or leave-it attitude.

You should track one down in the east or midwest and spend a week or two of your summer break seeing the countryside. Check out the MCO Sponsor Directory for MINI of the Hamptons or, as others have pointed out, cruise the Dealer Rating System.

Best of luck to you,

James

Old 04-23-2003, 01:06 PM
aero_student
1st Gear
yeah, i don't think the cvt would be able to handle the power of the supercharger. I am curious how well it would handle performance upgrade to the exhaust, intake, and computer.

I am also considering going through ebay and driving it back. I think that would make an awesome road trip. Just me, open road, and my mini.

Only the next few months will tell my automotive future. Right now I am more concerned abou the next 6 weeks of classes. Right now it is week 4 of the quarter and I am working hard to keep up.

Old 04-24-2003, 08:49 AM
minidawn
1st Gear
FYI - I just ordered my Chili Red/White MC on April 15th here in Colorado. Got an estimated production date of May 16th, delivery in July (not soon enough!!!)