R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 If ya get a flat with a runflat...

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 01:56 PM
Mini_MEL
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If ya get a flat with a runflat...

OK. I've got my MCS with R-84 Xlites/Run Flats.

What's the way to deal with a flat, on a runflat.

If you have a tire problem - you can drive for 50+ miles on it- basically to keep you going UNTIL you can deal with the problem.

OK.,..then what do you do?

So, let's say I leave Portland Oregon ( the only dealership in the whole state ) and half way to San Francisco I hit road debris and trash a tire.

Seems like if you damage one... you're going to have to buy two to balance treadwear. also, I've seen posts that mention the tire facility has to have special equipment and or experience to handle the runflats, and not damage the rims, -- and not every tire store along the way is going to stock runflats for my car.

So if I get a flat on a trip and damage 1 tire, will I have to spend $400 - $500 to resolve the issue, and hope I can find a tire business that can deal with runflats?

Seems kinda crazy.. Since I've seen people selling all 4 wheels AND tires ( takeoffs ) for that price. - Should I just buy some now,.. for use later (??) and just bring a spare ( wheel and tire! ) along with me if I was on a long trip!

Or does that really suggest to just get rid of the run flats NOW and get regular tires so if you have a problem, you can just go to any professional tire facility and they can handle the job ( repair, or buy a new tire ) ??

Just curious how others deal with it!

Thanks,
M

Old 12-20-2006, 01:59 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
just treat it as any other regular tire. you just dont need to put
the donut on.

Old 12-20-2006, 02:03 PM
lisdexic driver
3rd Gear
I switched my runflats out for traditional tires, and now carry a tire fix kit and a small compressor. I got a nail in my tire and 30 minutes later I was roll down the road. I got a nail in My runflat and 2 hours and $220 I was on my way. As an added benifit I like the ride on the non-runflats much better.

Old 12-20-2006, 02:14 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Mini_MEL
...Seems kinda crazy.. Since I've seen people selling all 4 wheels AND tires ( takeoffs ) for that price. - Should I just buy some now,.. for use later (??) and just bring a spare ( wheel and tire! ) along with me if I was on a long trip! ...
That's what I've done. Then again, on a long road trip (CA-MT-WA-CA) I had too much crap to reasonably fit the spare in, so I took my chances.

The big issue in my mind is getting the tire, not the changing equipment, as runflats have become fairly common.

I carry a plug kit and small compressor in case of a repairable runflat flat.

Old 12-20-2006, 04:55 PM
Greg S
3rd Gear
You just drive to the nearest tire store and have it plugged or changed. That's what I did last time. I managed to put a 1/2" bolt through the tire on the way home one night pulled it out in the garage and then drove to the tire store the next morning. They tried to plug it for me but the whole was too big for it to be really secure so they ordered a new tire and put it on that afternoon.

Old 12-20-2006, 06:15 PM
vazquezgordo
3rd Gear
1. Drive to the near tire shop and fix it or get a new one
2. Call roadside assistance for help.
3. Put a spare rim and tire on your boot for long trips

Old 12-20-2006, 06:54 PM
CooperGear
Banned
I also went with the non runflats. For the price of one runflat tire I could buy almost 4 non runflats. I have read that they can run the 50 miles, but can't always be fixed. I carry a compressor and fix-a-flat too.

Old 12-20-2006, 06:57 PM
Jersey_Bill
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 12-20-2006, 10:23 PM
Mini_MEL
1st Gear
Granted, a couple have mentioned: re: runflats - you just go to a tire store and buy a new one if you pick up a screw or nail and the tire can't be plugged.

but sheesh: $225+ expense because of 1 damaged tire? Twice that if you need to keep tread wear even - and have to buy two!

For the replacement of just one runflat - you could be well on the way to paying for replacing all 4 with new non runflats, some fix a flat & and a small compressor for the times when Roadside assistance is not available and you need to limp to a tire store. Then if necessary - you can pretty inexpensively deal with a replacement tire or two.

Seems the economical way to go...

For long trips, one can still stow a spare wheel/tire. ( the spare link tire carrier is pretty cool - but that's a $300 luxury )

Old 12-21-2006, 02:05 AM
RafterManFMJ
2nd Gear
OK. I've got my MCS with R-84 Xlites/Run Flats.

What's the way to deal with a flat, on a runflat.

If you have a tire problem - you can drive for 50+ miles on it- basically to keep you going UNTIL you can deal with the problem.

OK.,..then what do you do?

So, let's say I leave Portland Oregon ( the only dealership in the whole state ) and half way to San Francisco I hit road debris and trash a tire.

Seems like if you damage one... you're going to have to buy two to balance treadwear. also, I've seen posts that mention the tire facility has to have special equipment and or experience to handle the runflats, and not damage the rims, -- and not every tire store along the way is going to stock runflats for my car.

So if I get a flat on a trip and damage 1 tire, will I have to spend $400 - $500 to resolve the issue, and hope I can find a tire business that can deal with runflats?

Seems kinda crazy.. Since I've seen people selling all 4 wheels AND tires ( takeoffs ) for that price. - Should I just buy some now,.. for use later (??) and just bring a spare ( wheel and tire! ) along with me if I was on a long trip!

Or does that really suggest to just get rid of the run flats NOW and get regular tires so if you have a problem, you can just go to any professional tire facility and they can handle the job ( repair, or buy a new tire ) ??

Just curious how others deal with it!

Thanks,
M
Dunno..been driving since 1986 and have had exactly 2 driving flats...one was unknown cause in my first car, a precious 76 candy apple red 'vette. (Chevette) And the other was in my 03 Jetta TDI...that one was flattened muffler system that jumped up, smashed the front end of a Chevy Van (2 feet higher, the guy would have been decapitated) then I hit it at 70 MPH..end of tire...

then i had to spend 4 hours explaining to some folks in florida, where i was... (I79 N. of Cranberry PA) they could not figure it out...had one guy show up and refuse to tow me, saying I needed a flatbed..(realized later he thought I had an AWD)...what a boondoggle...

Point is:

Flats are rare.
Buy fix a flat
Rely on AAA or Roadside Assist (good luck!)
Regular tires = better ride
Any Mini owner sees you on the roadside, they stop. How cool is that?
Stay out of remote regions during snow storms, and you'll be fine

Old 12-21-2006, 04:08 AM
davavd
6th Gear
I had wondered if anyone was making a spare tire carrier like that, but I was thinking one that fit into a hitch receiver. That is really a great solution, though it is 50lbs in the worst possible place, I guess. Don't know how big a deal that is. Anyone seen a carrier that will fit in a hitch receiver?

How critical is the differential tread wear issue? I have never worried about that before.

Old 12-21-2006, 04:17 AM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
fix a flat.

i filled my stock runflats 3 times (twice on one tire) with fix a flat and they lasted quite a few miles.

Old 12-21-2006, 06:20 AM
dansmini
5th Gear
If a nail or small puncture is in the treaded area, you can plug a runflat with a plug kit you buy at Autozone for $10. I have plugged two myself now with no issues. I also bought a spare set of take-offs with runflats for $550 shipped off of ebay quite a while back, it is a nice inurance policy to have an extra set of tires and wheels sitting in the garage.

Old 12-21-2006, 06:27 AM
findude
4th Gear
. . . or just go to a Goodyear Tire shop

If you have runflats made by Goodyear or Dunlop (owned by Goodyear) you can just drive to the nearest Goodyear Tire Shop where they will fix your runflat FREE OF CHARGE or replace it and charge you a prorated amount based on the wear of your tire if it cannot be repaired. They do this because they are the ones who warranty the tire. While this certainly applies to the original equipment Goodyear or Dunlop tires on your MINI, I can't speak for the Pirelli's or for aftermarket replacements.

They do a correct patch which involves removing the tire, prepping it, and patching it from the inside. Then they remount the tire and rebalance the wheel--something you won't get if you use a plug kit as mentioned in other posts.

I discovered this by accident from an honest employee at my local Goodyear shop. It is beyond me why MINI does not tell owners.

Old 12-21-2006, 06:30 AM
Jeremy1026
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by blockh102
I also went with the non runflats. For the price of one runflat tire I could buy almost 4 non runflats. I have read that they can run the 50 miles, but can't always be fixed. I carry a compressor and fix-a-flat too.
I ran a down run-flat for about 400miles, well over the recomended 50MPH (probably about 70 on highways)

Old 12-21-2006, 06:37 AM
JustJAY
6th Gear
.......So if I get a flat on a trip and damage 1 tire, will I have to spend $400 - $500 to resolve the issue, and hope I can find a tire business that can deal with runflats?

Seems kinda crazy.. Since I've seen people selling all 4 wheels AND tires ( takeoffs ) for that price.........
....... $225+ expense because of 1 damaged tire? Twice that if you need to keep tread wear even - and have to buy two!

For the replacement of just one runflat - you could be well on the way to paying for replacing all 4 with new non runflats......
If you are paying for a new tire everytime you get a puncture in your RF, than I have a bridge to sell you. I have had sports cars and SUVs and have always payed near $200 or more for each tire, so a price for an RF is no different. I would not want the cheapest tires I can get on my MINI hitting .8Gs in a corner and blowing out.

Old 12-21-2006, 07:56 AM
dansmini
5th Gear
Originally Posted by findude
If you have runflats made by Goodyear or Dunlop (owned by Goodyear) you can just drive to the nearest Goodyear Tire Shop where they will fix your runflat FREE OF CHARGE or replace it and charge you a prorated amount based on the wear of your tire if it cannot be repaired. They do this because they are the ones who warranty the tire. While this certainly applies to the original equipment Goodyear or Dunlop tires on your MINI, I can't speak for the Pirelli's or for aftermarket replacements.

They do a correct patch which involves removing the tire, prepping it, and patching it from the inside. Then they remount the tire and rebalance the wheel--something you won't get if you use a plug kit as mentioned in other posts.

I discovered this by accident from an honest employee at my local Goodyear shop. It is beyond me why MINI does not tell owners.
I may be entirely wrong, but I find it difficult to believe that anyone is going to warranty a tire for a nail being in it (or hitting something, etc.). Unless you have purchased the added on coverage against road hazards, warranty should only apply to a manufacturers defect.

Old 12-21-2006, 09:25 AM
Mini_MEL
1st Gear
Flats are not common, but they do happen... , so does the occasional tire being damaged beyond repair if you hit something.

Runflats give you the ability to get to a tire store in case of a problem, to fix or replace your tire.

Fix a flat sounds like it does the same thing.

So, for me: I'll just get my miles out of my runflats ( ride seems OK to me - but I get to look forward to an improved ride! ) If I get a nail, or small puncture, just plug it/fix it if possible.

but when it comes time to buy new tires: Get Non Run Flats and fix a flat.

1) If I get a nail or small problem: any tire store can fix the tire - same as a run flat.

2) If I damage a tire and it has to be REPLACED, I'm sure I can get a very good non run flat tire for less than $225( or more! ) each. I'm not racing.

If I wanted to stay with Runflats, I'd watch the marketplace and buy takeoffs BEFORE I needed them. New tires AND wheels for around $500. No sense in spending $225+ per tire - but I can't see the reason to stay with the runflats for the long run.

If I was going to take a long trip, thru isolated areas,.. I'd really consider bring a spare wheel/tire - just for the peace of mind. A doughnut/small tire or a trailer hitch / spare tire carrier would be ideal!

Old 12-21-2006, 10:30 AM
dansmini
5th Gear
Sounds like you've got solid info and a solid plan!

Old 12-21-2006, 04:17 PM
beken
6th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
In the 22 years I've owned my previous car, I have never had a flat. The current tires on it are Pirelli P600's. The minispare has never left the storage location.

In the two years I've owned my MCS, I've had one nail and recently one leak, though we never did find where the leak was coming from. The nail was fixed by a Pirelli dealer. When I called MINI about the nail, they said I had the replace the tire at $600CDN each (!!!!). So I took it to my local Pirelli dealer who pulled the nail, and did an inside patch. Then recently, I had to pump air into another tire every 3 or 4 days. I brought the tire to the same dealer and he pulled the tire off the wheel and remounted it along with replacing the valve. That seemed to have fixed the problem. For emergencies, I have a small pump in the boot and a can of goop. Incidently, the same tire dealer would not fix Goodyear runflats because he said they have some goop inside already that fills any punctures automatically. You would have to buy a new tire.

So I asked him for a price (Canadian dollars) on Pirelli Euphori@ runflats understanding that MINI sells them for $600CDN and Tirerack sells them for $150US. He said they would be about $300 each, which is almost reasonable. Then he went to the back and said he has two in stock and I could have them both for $300 if I buy them before somebody else needs them. I haven't decided yet.

I'm wondering if this thread should go to the tire forum.