R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 No More Blind Spots...

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 01:13 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by rkw
The Multivex does make a difference on the drivers side and you can see two lanes over without turning your head. However, for me it was too much of a difference and I went back to the original mirror after I spent a couple of weeks trying to get used to it. I had trouble judging distance of cars that are moving relative to me. For example when changing lanes into a faster moving lane to the left and there is a car coming up the lane, you have to decide whether to go ahead and merge or let the car pass first. I had trouble making that judgment with the Multivex because its curvature changes across the width of the mirror and affects the depth perception. On the passenger side I adjusted easily, probably because I'm already used to convex mirrors on that side and the Multivex is just a variation. On the drivers side I've never really had an issue with blind spots and I don't mind using the original mirror.
... and I actually read a similar comment early on that made this same point and said they had success with the driver's side autobahn mirror, which is what kept me from ordering a pair of Multivex mirrors from the get-go.

It took me only a few days to get comfortable with the driver's side multivex - and it does make a big difference (which no one disputes - it's just a matter of whether you can be comfortable with the difference it makes.)

For me, the value of the Multivex mirrors is they let me know if there is something "there" I should be concerned about before a lane change or whatever. If there is, and if there's any doubt, then I turn and look. But the Multivex earns it's keep for me in keeping me from assuming I know what's in either blind spot when I really might not... I'm sometimes kinda bad about that... and for me, it really hasn't been an issue on either side after a brief adjustment. With the driver's side Multivex set correctly, if it's not in your peripheral vision and it's not in the mirror, it ISN'T THERE.

I set my mirrors a tad lower, which is also cool when backing into parking spaces in lots - I can stretch my neck up a bit and see the lines...

Old 01-02-2007, 07:49 PM
dix
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
I had Wink mirrors installed in all of my past project cars including the Triumphs and Turbo REX...got one in the garage and am about to install it into Msfitoy

Zero blind spots and 180 degrees rear vision...
Wild. I've never seen any mirrors like that! Do you have trouble with headlight glare at night with it?

Old 01-03-2007, 05:37 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by dix
Wild. I've never seen any mirrors like that! Do you have trouble with headlight glare at night with it?
I just tip it up enough while lowering my eyes gets them out of the glare...you see these used often in race cars...