R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Get a sunroof or not to get a sunroof?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2003, 06:56 AM
Mini2Go
Coordinator :: Pitt Stop MINI
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^ Interesting. I didn't realize that.

Oh well, it is a completely moot point for me - I have the NAV system which includes all of it anyhow! I do like having that information all on one screen to read at a glance better than I having to toggle through it in the tach display. Even though I don't need the trip calcs - I use them all the time since they are so handy in the NAV screen!

Old 04-28-2003, 07:03 AM
mexminime
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another thing I would consider is the roof color. I personally don´t like the look of the huge sunroof on white roofs, but that is a matter of taste.

On the other hand sunroofs are fun, especially during fresh nights.

I didn´t get a sunroof with my Mini for three reasons: 1 I have a white roof, 2 My other car has a sunroof and even though I like it a lot it´s not a must have. 3 The test car I drove had it and it was very sunny. The mesh shade is not sufficient for me.

If you have never had a car with a sunroof I would definitely get it, you need to experience it.

Old 04-28-2003, 10:27 AM
rataha
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
SO's Cooper has a sunroof. The S doesn't, I love them both! But Glad I didn't get it on the S

Old 04-28-2003, 01:43 PM
Brownielocks
3rd Gear
I did not get a sunroof. The reason is in my area, it's too hot! I didn't want sun on top melting me and the interior.

I test drove a car with one and didn't like it.

I tested it on a sunny day and when it closed I did not think it adequately shut out all sun.

I also felt it was a burden to the A/C and Automatic Climate Control to have the sunshine heat making it work harder to cool things off.

I don't feel claustrophobic at all without a sunroof. The Mini is cute with a sunroof or without. It's not a styling issue with me. It was more well...Ia matter of IMHO not being practical for my area?

But, rather than a sunroof, I applied the money into a CVT. It's all personal choices, lifestyles and geographical location on what you get IMHO.

I have no regrets about not having a sunroof. Don't miss it at all.

Old 04-28-2003, 01:49 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My only reason for not getting one is the heat, too. My MINI's usually out in the sun all day...fighting the heat is a serious issue in summer and it really gets to me. But if I parked in a garage or something, of if the sun roof was opaque...who knows??? I do like the open feel, but the windows are working great for me!

Old 04-28-2003, 03:55 PM
blfreund
1st Gear
Hmm, I still have yet to make up my mind.

I currently live in Oklahoma so it can get fairly hot out. I rember my black leather interior in my 3000GT burning my but when I forgot to put the sunshades in. How bad will the MINI be with a sunshade in? Isn't the Sunroof tinted, and have UV protection, and what is this talk about melting interior?

I am getting the black roof so the sunroof would not be noticable, and I am 6'2" and the MINI I test drove with the sunroof seemed like it had plenty of head room.

I am going to be sending my order to my dealer tonight so I got a couple hours to think abou it.

Old 04-28-2003, 04:03 PM
SuperMINI03
5th Gear
I'd say no, because it doesnt have a full cover, so the sun is always shining in, whether you want it to or not. It also adds nearly 60 Pounds onto the roof, and if you want to autocross, you want the least amount of weight possible.

Old 04-29-2003, 12:21 AM
fms
5th Gear
I love my sunroof, and I live in the Pacific Northwest. The option of open or closed is something I value a great deal. The new perforated sunroof graphics from CooperFlags cuts down on the sun even more, and I'm thinking about a gray UJ for my PS/B MC. One thing about the ACC: it looks WAY cool lit up at night. Even using it like a manual would still give you the cool orange glow everywhere, and as part of the premium package, you're not out any real money.

Old 04-29-2003, 02:42 PM
retroom
4th Gear
I think this is a pretty easy decision. If you like sunroofs get it, it you don't like sunroofs don't get it. I didn't get one.

I had a sunroof once, it was noisy on rough roads and I really never used it...I never opened it that much. That's just me, other people can't live without it.

Noise problems with the MINI sunroof are well documented on this site.

retroom

Old 04-29-2003, 07:33 PM
MINIACK
3rd Gear
I just have to say something about living in Pacific Northwest. Someone said that it rains 6 days a week here and there is no use for a sunroof. I am a native Washingtonion and find that there are more sunny days that are accounted for. You may have to work a bit (opening and closing) but so what! People that think it rains all the time, are not from here. And yes, my feet are webbed.

I think if you are going to race your car, don't get it.
If it's too hot in your area. Cover it up with a solid UJ or something.
If it's only sometimes hot, get the perferated roof decal.
If you like the sun, go for it.
If you don't like the sun, don't.

I think it was MINI2go that stated it perfectly. It's a personal choice, and both, with or with out, you're getting a great car.

MINI has been very progressive with their fixes to common issues. I doubt if you will get a rattle in an 04 model.

Cheers!

Old 04-29-2003, 07:57 PM
blfreund
1st Gear
I said screw it and I went ahead and got the sunroof. Now I just have to wait for them to call me back and give me me my productions date and delivery.

Old 04-29-2003, 08:01 PM
SlidewaysMini
2nd Gear
When I was originally contemplating getting a MINI, the sunroof was not on my list of options but when it came time to purchase, they had a car on the lot I really liked that happened to have one. I'd recommend test driving a car with one at highway speeds first. There was a recent thread concerning how loud the wind noise is. Like that owner, I've driven many convertibles & several sedans with sunroofs & I too find the wind noise much louder than any previous cars (including old British roadsters). For me it's loud but you might find it fine. Aside from the noise at higher speeds, it's wonderful. Mine has functioned flawlessly w/out any rattles. I've got the black roof & it definately looks very trick & generates a lot of compliments.
It should be fine for general hard street driving, occasional autocross, but I also agree that if you plan to do any serious competition driving, it might be better to avoid it for the reasons previously mentioned. Whatever you decide you'll be pleased, after all, you'll be driving a MINI! :smile:

Old 06-28-2003, 10:29 AM
countrym
6th Gear
I'm reviving the sunroof thread, in the hope that I can get some opinions. I'm moving to Florida next month, and I can't decide whether or not to get the sunroof.

How do the sunroof people living in hot parts of the country feel about their decision? Hating the heat? Loving the open air?

Anybody have a cooperflags sunroof graphic? I've seen the pictures on the web, but how does it seem in real life?

Thanks for the opinions!

Old 06-28-2003, 12:20 PM
orbhot
6th Gear
Reasons not to go with the sunroof:
1) The sunroof adds about 45 lbs to the car in the worst possible spot (furthest away from the ground). So if you're interested in the best possible handling, don't get it.
2) IMO the sunroof is very noisy at highway+ speeds.
3) I live in sunny FL and didn't like the fact that it doesn't have a built in solid shade (just a perforated one that blocks out only a little light).
These are just my thoughts and opinions, to each his own... you lika de sunroof... dat's a fine wit me).

Old 06-28-2003, 12:53 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
The weight is 54 pounds.
The sunroof can be tinted dark but it will cost you more.
If you leave it open and drive you will get some wind noise.
There is a fun factor having it and using it.
If you don't tint it too darkly then at night it can become a moonroof- I like this better than it's day function.

I don't have it and my next cooper will be a convertible if they ever get around to making them in 2005 model year with CVT AND in the MCS model. Am I asking too much? I don't think so. Dream big. Keep motorin.

Old 06-28-2003, 01:04 PM
Pebbles
6th Gear
I am not going to get a sunroof. I have one now and never open it. I've had convertables (2) and found I really never opened them much either.

It's hot and dusty here in Texas. I open the roof and both me and my car end up filthy dirty! Today it's 102 degrees outside, humidity is 40%, heat index is 115.

I also have heard different weights for the sunroof. I've heard 54, 65, and 80 lbs. Either way, I don't want the extra weight in the car, I'd prefer to have a passenger!

Old 06-28-2003, 02:17 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I skipped the sun roof and I'm glad I did...but only because of excessive heat in summer. (...I live in Texas, too and park outside all day.) That said, if there's any way you can justify getting one, get it. If it rattles, fix it...the fun factor is probably more than worth it. :smile:

Old 06-29-2003, 08:09 AM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Over 10,000 miles of rattle-free sunroof ownership here.

Old 06-29-2003, 02:42 PM
Brownielocks
3rd Gear
I didn't get one. Now with this summer heat and humidity in my area, I am sure glad I didn't get one. The car is hot enough to get into. And the Automatic Climate Control works hard to keep it cool and comfy without additional sun beating in the seating area.

I'm one woman that doesn't like sun roofs. But maybe it's an age thing? The younger kids seem to love it.

Old 06-29-2003, 03:46 PM
Spoof11
1st Gear
sunroof is a good idea. its very convinient, but if your lookin for better handling and trying to make your mini light, your should not get it. the sunroof weighs 50 lbs.....50 extra pounds in the worst place for extra weight is not good. But its whatever you are looking for.

Old 06-29-2003, 03:55 PM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
You know how the inside of the car seems to be hotter than the outside temps when it's parked in the sun? Inside my MINI with sunroof is nearly identical to outside temps because I leave the sunroof tilted open in its first position. It keeps the inside of the car from reaching 140F like cars I had that had no sunroof. I'm glad I can tilt it open to allow that hot air vent out.

Old 06-29-2003, 04:43 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

My first Cooper had no sunroof, but when I ordered Wanda, who is all-Jet Black, I decided I MUST have the sunroof to vent out the heat before getting into her! I agree with Dominic...I leave the sunroof tilted at the first position, too, to keep it cooler. I'm in Los Angeles, just completed a cross-country roadtrip in Wanda, and really LOVED having the sunroof. It's loud on the highway, but I usually fiddle until I get the right balance and, most of all, it's fun!

Old 06-29-2003, 04:46 PM
red03miniS
Banned
clo nailed it on the head.

u gotta get hte roof

Old 06-29-2003, 11:34 PM
Zappa
5th Gear
I love my sun roof! In texas you just pop it open and turn the AC on vent and you get a great blast of air. Also with the windows down you get an uncomfortable turbulance. With the sunroof, you open it a crack and the turbulance is gone!!
You can always get a Cooper Flag and shade it more (white) and reflect the heat.

Old 06-29-2003, 11:46 PM
Zappa
5th Gear
I read others posts.. What's this about the rattle? I've had my MCS for a year now and never a Rattle. Also I never drive at Noon so I have never had teh problem with the sun burn on the head and I don't wear hats. My arm gets more burn than the head. All you have to do is lay a cloth above the screen if you are getting too much sun.

Quick Reply: R50/53 Get a sunroof or not to get a sunroof?