R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 ADVICE FOR POSSIBLE FUTURE MINI OWNER???

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2003 | 08:28 AM
littlecar
|
Neutral
hi,
i'm new to this site and was advised by a friend to check out these sites to get an idea of what people's overall feeling about the mini was. i drive long distances (my commute to work is long) so i need a reliable, sturdy, fuel efficient car.
does anyone have any feedback or suggestions? any things that annoy you? any recurring problems w/ your car? overall ratings? I need some good advice!
thanks!

Old 04-29-2003 | 08:30 AM
2minis
6th Gear
I've had a Cooper and an S. I'd go with
the Cooper for a long commute and the
mpg difference.

Old 04-29-2003 | 08:33 AM
littlecar
|
Neutral
that's good b/c i don't drive stick shift and i hear the S only comes in that. :smile:
how do you think the mini does on the highway riding along large trucks and such? does it get pushed around a lot?

Old 04-29-2003 | 08:35 AM
2minis
6th Gear
>>that's good b/c i don't drive stick shift and i hear the S only comes in that. :smile:
>>how do you think the mini does on the highway riding along large trucks and such? does it get pushed around a lot?
Not really. Safe and stable at speed.

Old 04-29-2003 | 08:37 AM
VerucaSalt
Coordinator :: Mid-Atlantic
Definitely safe and stable at speed. Solid as a rock. And you can't beat the handling with a great big stick.

Old 04-29-2003 | 08:46 AM
littlecar
|
Neutral
anyone noticed any problems w/ electrical, ignition, transmission, cooling systems etc? i've had a terrible experience w/ a '96 VW jetta so i'm going into this process VERY cautiosly...

Old 04-29-2003 | 08:49 AM
JohnW
4th Gear
VERY stable on the highway, plus handles great in the rain and under windy conditions!

chollomo
4th Gear
I have a cooper cvt I love it. I have an hour and 30 minute Wash. D.C. commute to work in the morning and afternoon. I love the lumbar support in my leather seats it really has help out alot. also I routinely get 25 mpg in traffic, adn i've been hitting 32 on teh interstate ( at least according to the mini built in computer.) The sucker got pick up. and more truck space than you think. I'm no tjsut saygin this becasue I'm a newbie, but you can ask anybody in here. You will love being in this car... I've been in car ranging form vipers to old chevy pickups. and I tell you I just lvoe the fellign I get driving this car. also I highly suggest the sunroof test drive oen adn find out for yourself.... oh and dont' get ripped off this forum will help you out so uch if you wan tto buy look at all the ratignin you area, and ask people about you specific dealer.. I even got a check list on what to look for when I got to the dealer. hope that helps welcoem ( if this is too premature) to the world of MINI motoring!

VerucaSalt
Coordinator :: Mid-Atlantic
^ ^ I haven't had any of the above said problems, except I was experiencing an engine stumble with my CVT. There is a software update for that now though, so you shouldn't have the same issue if you get a Cooper with CVT.

Old 04-29-2003 | 08:55 AM
littlecar
|
Neutral
that's very good to hear b/c my commute is about 1hr 1/5 one way. which means at one point iwas driving 3 hours approx. daily. how long have you been doing your DC commute?

i also found that my jetta stalls in the rain (dont' ask - they haven't found out why yet). but they were thinking it was an ignition problem or something. that is why i was curious about the rain/commute issue.

Old 04-29-2003 | 09:24 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Welcome to MCO littlecar (nice name) :smile:

I drive an MCS but some of my comments carry over to the CVT cooper which overall seems like a good match for you.
Long commuting - got to have a good driver position and seat. The sport seat option either by itself or in the sports package is good- sit in both before you order. CVT is nice but if you "learn" how to drive stick (take you about a week or less) then you can save $1250. On a commute with not too much stop and go traffic you will not shift much so a manual 5 speed will give you better mpg. My MCS gives me at best 28 mixed driving and 35 on the highway. If you have lots of heavy traffic or at least 30-40 minutes each way of rush hour traffic then the CVT would be good.
If you like a good sound system-then the HK system is worth listening to and a $550 option. If you don't really care that much about music the stock sound system is OK. The trip computer comes with the premium package but isn't as useful- the reading it gives are not accurate. The cruise control would be good for commuting. The stock 15" wheels are OK for commuting, the 16" wheels in the sports option are a little heavier but offer better cornering and performance. I really like my xenon headlights and the fog lights in the front are good if you encounter fog.

Some owners really like the open feeling of the large sunroof but it is heavy (about 60 pounds), doesn't have a full screen so the sun hits you more (you may be hotter), tends to rattle, and cuts down on headroom.
The CVT stumbles a bit and there are constant software updates through the dealer to help with this ongoing problem. If you live very far from a dealer this could be a problem since you would have to go in for each update. In that case the manual 5 speed would be less hassle.
Sports suspension plus- for the cooper this adds better sports handling. If you want to drive your car at the speed limit and never enthusiastically then don't get this option but if you like driving fast occassionally or you like the quick handling of the cooper then SSP is good and in my opinion worth it.
Cold weather package- if you live in a cool or cold climate then this is good- go for it. I am in Hawaii and some people here have it and like it. For comfort of course, in the mornings. Not for use at 12 noon.
White roof option- doesn't cost anything but will keep the car noticibly cooler. I have one and would not give it up.
Chrome accents- for the cooper you have the option to add to the already abundant use of chrome. Some people really like this look so that can be an appearance plus for either CVT or 5 speed coopers.
Run flat tires- is an option with the 16 inch wheels. They are good if you never want to get out to fix a flat on the freeway- like it is too dangerous or you commute at night. Then if you get a flat you can still drive for about 50+ miles to a safer area. Coopers with runflat upgrades get to keep their spare tires. MCS doesn't have a spare. The runflats give a harsher ride over bumps and will tram in the lines of concrete freeways- very annoying for long distance. If your commute has lots of expansion joints, lots of bumps and potholes, lots of concrete grooves then don't get the runflats-get a cell phone to call AAA to have them fix your flat if it ever happens.
Seat options- I have leather and I like it. In hot weather I do get sweaty on them. Space cloth and leatherette is an option that some people like. Try them out at the dealer. Some people report that the leather will wrinkle and be uneven after moderate use. I have 2300 miles and my blue/black seats look new. No wrinkles.
I hope this helps. This car has wonderful options- choose away and Motor On

Old 04-29-2003 | 11:03 AM
chollomo
4th Gear
I think my mini might be stumbling, or maybe its how I drive, will mini fix for free. it should right? anyway, I've been doign this longer commute for abtou 6 months, befeor that I was on atoll road but still gettign in abtou and hour.. I mgiht mention that my commute is 1.6 hrs, in HOV! argh I hate the suburbs, but thats where my gf bougth her place doh!.. anyway I'm way off subject. I've been driving in teh rain adn haev had no leaking or sputtering of any kind,, so as far as i'm converned its has had no problems in the rain. I liek my leather seat, becasue I've alwasy wanted tan leather adn with the beige option you can get beige trim inside which is gorgeous. I haven't had any wind rattle, 2but engine is a bti louder at idle than i'm used too. I routinly carry 3 peopel in my car and have gotten no complaints yet.. I weigh 300lbs, and i'm 6 feet tall and i do NOT feel cramped at all. teh sunrood does lower the roof a little but it s raised in the middle and you can alwasy open it. it does have a fung shui aspect of perception and openess which is great. adn if you talk abtou handling.. I took a 35 mph turn of the interstate at 60mph and could even feel the lean.. teh wheels didn't break contact adnit help on like it was on train tracks... my little booger is a steal, and at teh cosst you can get so much for so little, and mini lets you buy peices out of the package so if you like a part of a package you don't have to buy teh whoel package.. also the warrenty adn roadside service is really good. Take a test drive I hihgly suggest it. happy mottoring

Old 04-29-2003 | 12:35 PM
littlecar
|
Neutral
wow, i am thrilled with the great advice so far! keep the pointers coming b/c everything i hear is helping me make my decision :smile:

i am still new to the world of minis so in my ignorance i must ask - what is CVT? you have all mentioned it quite a lot in your feedback and i'm sure knowing what it is would help me make my decision.

i live in new york and work in northern new jersey. so my commute has a lot of potholes due to our bad winter. i understand i shouldn't get the special tires if this is the case?

also, i'm about 5 foot 2 inches tall and weigh about 110lbs. so i'm fairly small but i noticed i felt cramped in the mini when i first got inside in the dealership. is this something i'll get used to in time? i'm generally not a claustrophobic person so i'm hoping i'll just get used to it w/ time.

i am very excited to now hopefully join the mini family! based on your feedback i'm feeling pretty good about getting one

Old 04-29-2003 | 12:46 PM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
CVT- Continuously Varible Transmission. CVT Owners can confirm this, but I'm pretty sure a CVT Transmission is an automatic transmission that uses a series of belts/pullies...etc to provide a smooth acceleration experience. As you accelerate the car won't "hesitate" as it automatically shifts gears.

Plus CVT equipted cars have the ability to Sport Shift. You can manually shift the gears like on a manual transmission but there's no clutch and you can't stall it out....

This car is my first with a manual transmission (my previous 4 were all automatics) and I love it...

Old 04-29-2003 | 12:51 PM
SuperMINI03
5th Gear
Best car I have ever owned. I had a corvette before I got my MCS, and I think that my MCS is so much more fun to drive. It is fast if runs nice, it turns, and it gets pretty good gas mileage. The one thing that I don't like is the fact that it runs on Premium fuel. But it is confortable, and very roomy for the size of the car. I'd say go ahead and buy the car, you wont regret it. Have fun with whatever you choose, and good luck

Old 04-29-2003 | 12:53 PM
littlecar
|
Neutral
oh - so that would be something i'd pay extra for right?
thanks for the info!
:smile:

Old 04-29-2003 | 01:48 PM
rataha
5th Gear
CVT is an automatic. Learn to drive a manual. You won't be sorry!

Old 04-29-2003 | 01:59 PM
SuperMINI03
5th Gear
>>CVT is an automatic. Learn to drive a manual. You won't be sorry!

See, rataha know exactly what he is talking about. The manual I thought I was going to get sick of, so I almost got the MC, but I decided that I wanted the extra HP and speed, so I went ahead with the MCS and the 6-speed manual transmition. I have no regrets, this makes the car so much fun to drive, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Old 04-30-2003 | 05:17 AM
Brownielocks
3rd Gear

>>. i drive long distances (my commute to work is long) so i need a reliable, sturdy, fuel efficient car.
>>does anyone have any feedback or suggestions? any things that annoy you? any recurring problems w/ your car? overall ratings? I need some good advice!

Hi Little Car,

FWIW, a sturdy, reliable, fuel effecient and fun car to drive also is a Miata. I also have one of those. It's a bit smaller than a Mini and so you're usually confident you'll fit in any parking spot available (usually next to an SUV!).

The Miata handles great like the Mini. The bad thing about a Miata is there is not much storage space. But if it's just you in the car and you aren't hauling kids etc. you might consider it?

If this is your only car, however, I'd go with a Mini. If it's a second car, you might consider a Miata? But, depending on what you want, the Miata can be more expensive than a Mini or MiniS. However, it's also a convertible!

Old 04-30-2003 | 06:55 AM
mexminime
4th Gear
Welcome littlecar.

The claustrophobic sensation when you first get into the car does go away. I think it´s cause by the shape of the car and the very small windshield, but once you get used to it there´s no problem.

Based on your driving conditions I would also recommend to order the standard suspension (as opposed to the sport plus) which is softer and gives you a more comfortable ride.

For long commutes the seats and driving position are most important. I´d ask for a long (at least 1/2 hour) test drive to see how you like it. The regular seats are firm and comfortable but lack support both at the seat and the lower back (sport seats would be recommended).

Overall I´d say it would make an excellent long commuter car based on the added fun factor of driving them

Old 04-30-2003 | 07:31 AM
VAmini
3rd Gear
oh - so that would be something i'd pay extra for right?
thanks for the info
Yes, the CVT is a $1250 option, but may be worthwhile for you in that DC traffic. Keeping a constant foot on the clutch in an hour of stop-and-go traffic is definitely not fun! I got the CVT for a variety of reasons, and can attest that is not quite like any other automatic transmission.

As has been mentioned, the shifting is much smoother than other automatics, and the steptronic mode where you can manually shift gears let you have lots of fun in the twisties and the mountains. Sure, it's not quite like having an actual manual transmission (disclaimer for those manual die-hards ), but it's a pretty close second!

Old 04-30-2003 | 07:47 AM
Pebbles
6th Gear
Hi LittleCar! -- cute name -- and you are exactly my same size! ok, I weigh about 15 more lbs than you, but I love seeing other mini ladies wanting a MINI!!

I've been reading the MINI forums for a few months now and overall the only negative thing about the MINI that I will worry about when I get mine is...

VANDALISM -- Van"dal*ism, n : willful wanton and malicious destruction of the property of others --

Yes, I know a car is a mechanical thing so it may break down or need service. I also know I get options, like 5 speed, CVT, or 6 speed. Those things I can deal with and decide on!

But how to I stop some idiot from sray painting, keying, denting, breaking off the grill, etc...of my car while it sits at my work during the day, in a mall parking lot, on the street, or in front of my friends house ?

A MINI is a target because it's cute, fun, sporty, fast and most everyone, male, female, young and old, think they are terrific! My Mom who totally hates the PT Cruiser because it reminds her of the ugly cars from her childhood, just loves the look of the MINI! If Mom didn't have a Honda CRV for it's cargo space, she'd be getting a MINI. If MINI would come out with a Wagon, my Mom would get one!!

Old 04-30-2003 | 08:14 AM
littlecar
|
Neutral
i am so thrilled to be meeting so many mini lovers :smile:

your answers have sparked new questions...

to Brownielocks - funnily enough i was considering looking at the Maxda 6 but i've heard great things about the Miata too. although this will be my only car so i'm thinking i might go w/ the mini instead just b/c it's cuter :smile: do you know anything about the Mazda 6 though?

to Austin - somebody was mentioning how they see a lot of males driving minis so i'm glad (if i get one) to have another petite female in the ranks! it's funny you mention vandalism though b/c i was just thinking that might be a problem w/ such a cool looking car - have you had multiple situations where this has happened? has anyone else?

to chollomo - how long have you been doing your one hour and 30minute commute to DC w/ the mini? do you think it's holding up well? and is it comfortable on long trips so far (assuming i get the sport seats which everyone is recommending?)

Old 04-30-2003 | 08:21 AM
macncheese
6th Gear
20,000 problem filled miles.

LINK

Old 04-30-2003 | 08:37 AM
Pebbles
6th Gear

>>
>>FWIW, a sturdy, reliable, fuel effecient and fun car to drive also is a Miata. I also have one of those. It's a bit smaller than a Mini and so you're usually confident you'll fit in any parking spot available (usually next to an SUV!).
>>

I am sorry, I am usually not one to point out mistakes in other people's posts! but my lease is up in Dec and I started over the holidays researching cars so I could decide what I want to get! In reading the Specs and comparing the new cars on Edmunds, I've found no car smaller than the MINI! -- not in the USA --

so the Miata IS NOT SMALLER than a MINI!

Miata is 155" long and 66" wide !!
MINI is 142" long and 66" wide !!

Other small/cute/sporty cars I looked at and concidered ...

Toyota MR2 -- 153" long and 66" wide
Porsche Boxter -- 170" long and 70" wide
Honda s2000 -- 162" long and 68" wide

--Note that the Boxter is over 2 feet longer than the MINI, Which did shock me!

Infact, Brownielocks, If you have an older Miata, it may be smaller than the new ones out now! and I have to admit that I found the Miata to be a really great car! It is my 2nd choice with it's detachable hardtop, which lets me choose to have the wind in my hair or not, it's choice of 6-speed or auto tranny and it's 142hp and (w/out the hardtop)weighs 2387 lbs!

The only thing that threw the MINI into being my #1 choice of car is it's Smile Factor! It rates a 10 on the Smile-o-meter!

Quick Reply: R50/53 ADVICE FOR POSSIBLE FUTURE MINI OWNER???