R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Honda Accord 1, MINI Cooper 0

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 01:54 PM
HighSchoolzMINI
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thats very true, forgot to consider this

Old 02-27-2007, 02:01 PM
S Curvz
6th Gear
Those inside door panels look very intact.

Glad you are alright.

Old 02-27-2007, 04:46 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any way to give just a quick synopsis of what MINIUSA said about the side airbags? This has got me very concerned. The airbags are there for this very reason and I would very much like to trust that they will deploy when needed.

If you take a close look at the interior shot, the interior door panel has been pushed up against the bottom side bolster of the seat far enough to "crinkle" it. I can't believe that the side air bags didn't go off.

Old 02-27-2007, 08:37 PM
HaveBulldogWillTravel
2nd Gear
Woah...that was quite a "T-bone" hit. I hope everyone is OK. That damage looks to be in excess of $10K. I'd be sick if that happened to my car.

Old 02-27-2007, 09:22 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
OK I guess the first poster didn't have a passenger, thus the reason why the air bag didn't deploy. But I am not sure why mishka's side airbag didn't go off !

Old 02-27-2007, 09:31 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
The pics show the grill surround, which is definitely pre-'05, so there's no passenger seat occupancy sensor. Interesting to see if MINI says (or is willing to say!) if the seat airbag should have fired.

Old 02-27-2007, 09:47 PM
minibeel
Coordinator :: PDX MINI
I am sure there is an entire engineering class at the University of Munich devoted to the design of the side airbag and why it will or will not activate.

Nonetheless, it is good to see that you came out alright.

Really though, would you rather have a rebuilt car, or just total it and start fresh? Personally, though I am sentimentally attached to my MINI, I think I'd want to get a new one.

dan

Old 02-27-2007, 10:04 PM
wildone3c
Coordinator :: Gulf South Motoring
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Ouuuuuch!!! Glad your ok. I would say the damage would have to be under $9000. I hit 3 trees and a barbed wire fince with My mini a month ago and smashed the front right suspension and bent the frame so the insurance totaled it out but even with that damage was only $5500 worth of parts and $6000 worth of labor. Pics of my accident are here: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=91102

Old 02-28-2007, 05:50 AM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by minibeel
I am sure there is an entire engineering class at the University of Munich devoted to the design of the side airbag and why it will or will not activate.

There is a whole lot to air bags, more than this old fart will ever be able to comprehend. Just because you hit something doesn't mean the bag goes bang. Going off when you really don't need it may be as bad as not going off when you do. My guess is your crash didn't meet the parameters need to deploy the bomb in the seat.

Glad you are OK.

On a lighter note....Fun with airbags

http://www.break.com/index/air_bag_explosion_under_nuts.html

Old 02-28-2007, 06:25 AM
MisterDangerPants
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by HaveBulldogWillTravel
That damage looks to be in excess of $10K.
The estimate is 5868.99, and I have been told by the body shop that this figure will increase when they take the car apart and submit supplements for damage that wasn't apparent during the visual inspection. I can't imagine it would get up to the 5-figure mark but you never know. I was told 3 - 4 weeks until I get it back, but I'm hoping it'll be sooner.

Old 02-28-2007, 06:45 AM
Mishka
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ScottinBend
Any way to give just a quick synopsis of what MINIUSA said about the side airbags? This has got me very concerned. The airbags are there for this very reason and I would very much like to trust that they will deploy when needed.

If you take a close look at the interior shot, the interior door panel has been pushed up against the bottom side bolster of the seat far enough to "crinkle" it. I can't believe that the side air bags didn't go off.
On my accident, MINIUSA said that the airbag sensor is located in the fender area behind the door, and the impact location and force was not enough to cause the airbag to deploy. I wish I could remember exactly what they said, but I am technically challenged, and was still a little rattled from the accident. For what it is worth, after the accident we were not sore or stiff, even the next day, which helps me believe the impact wasn't enough to deploy the airbags.

As for the door panel against the seat, this accident damage looks like mine. The actual door panel(interior piece) wasn't against the seat. The lower trim piece(that makes the door pocket) had a broken attachment on the front, but not the back. The front edge of the piece then angled in against the seat, pushing the edge of the seat up slightly. I could put my hand between the seat and the interior of the door after the accident, except for where that trim piece was pushing against the seat. I still have the remains of my door and the interior panel looks undamaged unless you look at the interior of the door pocket.(You can see the crease in the pocket in my pic.) The "crinkled" seat wasn't a result of the major impact but is a result of the tension on the trim piece from one attachment point.

MisterDangerPants, my estimate was about the same as yours, and we were told 2-3 weeks to repair. It took 6 weeks to fix, though. The car drives as good as it did before the accident.

Old 02-28-2007, 06:24 PM
MisterDangerPants
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Mishka
The car drives as good as it did before the accident.
That's good to know! Thanks!

Old 02-28-2007, 06:53 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Thanks for the update and explanation !

Old 03-30-2007, 10:21 AM
MisterDangerPants
4th Gear
So, the body shop my MINI was initially towed didn't touch the car for 3+ weeks, so I had the car moved to a shop (Today's in Malden, MA) that MINI of Peabody has all their work done. I originally was going to have it towed there, but the guy was so nice at the first shop I figured that was okay. Anyway, within the first week, Today's had the car dismantled and had the insurance adjuster out for the first supplement. The first estimate was just below $6000, and now it's up to $11,000.

Old 03-30-2007, 10:26 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Whoa... brutal!

Old 03-30-2007, 12:15 PM
JohnBLZ
5th Gear
Hopefully the other guys fault!!

Old 03-30-2007, 12:31 PM
MisterDangerPants
4th Gear
Originally Posted by JohnBLZ
Hopefully the other guys fault!!
Wishful thinking...

I'm still stunned that there's $11,000 damage.

Old 03-30-2007, 12:49 PM
07PepperS
3rd Gear
ouch -

Old 03-30-2007, 01:00 PM
MDK
6th Gear
That sounds like a total- sorry to hear the news. I am guessing the first estimate was from the shop and not the adjuster? I would trust the adjusters estimate as it is the one your carrier will use and if the local dealer uses the second shop it probably the best around.

Old 03-30-2007, 01:06 PM
MisterDangerPants
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MDK
That sounds like a total- sorry to hear the news. I am guessing the first estimate was from the shop and not the adjuster? I would trust the adjusters estimate as it is the one your carrier will use and if the local dealer uses the second shop it probably the best around.
An insurance adjuster did both estimates. Once the body shop started dismantling the car, the cost went up. In addition, the time allotted to repair many items was too low, so the supplement included that. I believe the actual cash value of the car is around $16,000, so the estimate would have to be 80% of that to have the car totaled.

Old 03-31-2007, 08:55 AM
hemiheaded18
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MisterDangerPants
Neither of us was hurt, although the driver of the Honda had his wrist burnt when the airbag deployed.
If he had hit my car like that, he would have been hurt. Bad. I don't carry 21 inches of expandable, hardened justice in my glovebox for nothing.

Old 03-31-2007, 01:36 PM
Drewbb
Neutral
Whew. Close call.

That whole airbag issue does seem a bit fishy to me. Interesting.

Glad you're ok!

Old 03-31-2007, 02:49 PM
umberto
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Crashton----------that video gives new meaning to the term 'jackass'.....that has got to be one of the most stupid things i've seen anybody try.............

Old 04-02-2007, 04:37 AM
DaveTinNY
6th Gear
Glad you're okay... quite a nice hit to the door. Personally I'd be happy if they totalled my car after a smacker like this... the frame could be bent. And you'd receive a new MINI.
I hit an older lady who pulled her smallish car perpendicularly to my paid off Jeep Wrangler at an intersection (I had the green light) and I clobbered her passenger side door at about 45 mph... if anyone was in that seat, they would not have survived. If it were a MINI, I bet the person would have survived easily judging by the looks of your MINI.

Old 04-02-2007, 05:42 AM
okraD La
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Crashton, that video was funny as $hite....LOL

Quick Reply: R50/53 Honda Accord 1, MINI Cooper 0