R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Title?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 04:49 PM
jboy_nm
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Title?

Hey everyone:

As many of you know, my Mini is somewhere in the middle of the Atlantic right now on it's way to the US from Germany. It is US spec and I should be receiving it within the next 3 weeks. I hope someone can help me with this:

The car has never had a US title, as it was registered with the military in Europe. I have all of my dealer documentation and the Certificate of Origin. I *dread* going into the FL DMV to ask about this, so I'll come to you guys for help. Has anyone had experience with applying for a title? I was also considering giving Downtown MINI in Orlando a call to ask for help with titling since they do it every day.

Any help you guys can give would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 04-17-2007, 05:39 PM
usaaus
2nd Gear
Here in Vermont, the Certificate of Origin is considered to be the "manufacturers title", so you simply swap it for a VT title.

VT isn't FL, but I'm guessing most states are similar

Old 04-18-2007, 06:56 AM
Mike02MCS
2nd Gear
When I shipped mine back from Germany I took all my paperwork, including USAREUR registration, into the Arizona DMV and they didn't even blink. Walked out with Arizona plates/documentation in about 15 minutes. My only gripe was that they kept one of my German plates, but I think that's an Arizona thing.

Old 04-18-2007, 08:07 AM
thulchatt
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike02MCS
When I shipped mine back from Germany I took all my paperwork, including USAREUR registration, into the Arizona DMV and they didn't even blink. Walked out with Arizona plates/documentation in about 15 minutes. My only gripe was that they kept one of my German plates, but I think that's an Arizona thing.
Keeping your plate is an Arizona thing. When I moved there from Alaska, I wanted to keep my plate but they conficated both.

When I moved to Tennessee from Arizona they could care less about the Arizona plate.

Old 04-18-2007, 08:22 AM
Bigcoyote
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are worried - call your local DMV and ask what they require. Take all your paperwork and the car ( get a temp tag if needed ) - they may want to inspect the car & doublecheck the VIN #'s.

Also be sure to get the warranty registered with MINI USA . Otherwise you have no warranty here -- just in Europe

The warranty forms come from MINI / BMW Military Sales in Germany ( I have the contact info if needed ). That was the problem I had -- full warranty in SPAIN -- not in the USA. Make for kinda a long drive to get stuff repaired

Good luck

Old 04-18-2007, 08:27 AM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
I brought a car home from Belgium (to Ohio). I had to present an English translation of the title, the original Belgian title, have the VIN verified and pay something like $10.00 for an Ohio title. Very easy and uneventful.

Old 04-18-2007, 01:06 PM
jboy_nm
1st Gear
Thanks!

Thanks for all of the responses. My MINI, sadly, has not arrived yet... but as soon as it will I can have some knowledge about what to expect. Thanks guys!

Old 04-18-2007, 01:21 PM
Loony2N
6th Gear
I brought a car home from Germany years ago. The DMVs are quite used to it. Don't sweat it.

Old 04-18-2007, 02:34 PM
BillTheCat
4th Gear
There's a fellow over on Sunshine Minis http://www.sunshineminis.org who has imported more cars than I care to count. If you have an account there, post something up in the MINI Chat forum, or PM "Minimad" for some advice from a Floridian with experience at our DMV's.

Bill

Old 04-19-2007, 04:06 PM
skidmike
1st Gear
It's not as difficult as using another state title

Wehn I moved to NM, I had to retitle my Jeep and MINI. That took several weeks.

I just used the COO on my newly-bought (in NM) Toyota Tacoma to title it here. I was too cheep to pay the dealer $300 to transfer my tags and title it, so when the COO arrived from Toyota, I went and did it myself. Saved myself alot of money, too. $20 and 15 minutes of my time was all it took. Of course, I had to get to the MVD first thing and was second in line when they opened..

-- mike

Old 04-23-2007, 07:50 AM
Dave_in_Va
3rd Gear
I just went through that here in VA. I bought my MINI in Bahrain (through the military as well). The DMV in VA wanted the certificate of origin (the original); all the import paperwork (which the POV processing center should give you in a nice stapled bundle); my d/l (state issue). The only issue I ran into was the odometer statement...the dealer in Bahrain didn't write it down in the dealer-to-consumer section (it's called something like that) towards the mid-bottom of the COG. So I had to fill it in myself and fake the signature (HOWEVER, check to make sure you don't have to have it certified,, in VA we don't). Other than that it was not very painful.

Old 04-23-2007, 09:32 AM
Paul!
6th Gear
I wouldn't sweat it too much. FL DMV is well versed in dealing with military. I even have a VA address on my FL drivers license! And I got it without any hassle.

I would just drop by the local full-service DMV office with what you have and chat with them about it to alleviate any surprises.

Hope the lil one makes the trip across the pond safely!

-Paul!

Old 04-23-2007, 03:23 PM
jboy_nm
1st Gear
Just found out today that my car just arrived in NJ, and is trucked down here for pickup this weekend! I CANNOT WAIT!!!!

Old 05-08-2007, 11:03 AM
jboy_nm
1st Gear
YAY!

Today my pretty lil' MCS arrived in perfect condition after it's shipment from Germany, and I'll head out this week to get plates for it! (Although driving with my German plates on it is still fun in ways!)

Unfortunately though, my Nav DVD that bought from EBay is apparently for BMW's only, so I'm stuck with no Nav until I can find a corrrect disc out there.

Thanks again for everyone's advice on how to handle registration!