R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 Collision Repair Advice :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 07:28 AM
FelixFJ40
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Collision Repair Advice :(

Due to a minor "incident” my wife had with her new MCSC this weekend, the right rear quarter panel has a pretty good dent with some considerable creasing, so it’ll be more work than just pulling the dent out. A shop I trust recommended two auto body places: Shop A with skilled craftsmen who will repair it to like-new if possible and Shop B that will just pull the panel and replace it. He recommended that latter if I were going through my insurance company (which I am), as it would be much more $$$.

Before making that decision to file a claim, I took it by Shop A. The advice of the head guy there was that he’d like to see the existing panel worked back into shape. His explanation was since it’s a convertible, to cut out and put in a new panel would compromise the structural integrity of the car. Unless it could be easily removed by unbolting or drilling out the spot welds.

Does that sound like good advice? Am I better off with a new panel? I have pics at home, but the general idea is that the dent starts right at the rear of the passenger door and ends and the top of the rear wheel well. Should I get dealership input?

Thanks for the help.

Old 05-21-2007, 07:56 AM
CHKMINI
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pictures when you get them will help with a recommendation. Shop A is laying it on pretty thick...replacing a quarter panel correctly does not change the structural ridgidity of the vehicle.

Old 05-22-2007, 03:50 AM
lambspeed
3rd Gear
In reality both shops will receive about the same money for the repairs. Hours, hours, hours. That is all its about. Some insurance adjusters will actually make the call on weather or not to replace a panel. It usually depends on the year of the car and mileage. Also which will pay out less HOURS. Shop A may nickel and dime the insurance company for stuff that they may or may not perform.
Overall finish on a replaced panel is much nicer(usually)than a repaired panel. No worries of body filler shrinking or sand scratches. Working modern sheet metal is not like the days of old. And a common practice in the auto body world is to "cave and pave" dents. As far as structure, no problems replacing a cabrio quarter. A good shop will have your car on a frame machine and take measurements and clamp everything prior to welding. I have cut off and replaced roofs, rockers, door posts, you name it. with no comprimise in structure.
www.lambspeed.com

Old 05-22-2007, 04:08 AM
FelixFJ40
2nd Gear
Great, thanks, guys. That's just what I was looking for.

Old 05-26-2007, 07:26 AM
MINIFVR
6th Gear
I'd say get the new panel. An SUV backed up into my hood and I got it replaced....definitely a good move.