R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 Shaky acceleration Cooper S Cab.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 07:09 PM
bigallen
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shaky acceleration Cooper S Cab.

Hi,

I have a confuse problem.

Does any one feel after first gear into second gear around 2000rpm. Press gas pedal then feel the car shakes on second or is it super charge kicking in??

Thanks and looking forward to your reply

Big Allen

Old 11-14-2007, 08:15 PM
Papa Bdog
2nd Gear
Shake on back to the Dealer...ain't a whole lot a shakin goin on here ....should have a nice smooth ride right on up to 6500 rpm.....

Old 11-14-2007, 10:39 PM
brownflyer
Former Vendor
Bigallen,
Sound like you're too low in the rpm range from first to second. You should be north of 3000rpms for smooth acceleration. Over 4000 when driving aggressively. Keep in mind this is a 4 cyl. engine and should be driven accordingly.

Old 11-15-2007, 03:07 AM
SuperMINIs
3rd Gear
I agree with BrownFlyer. Hit that gas a little more. I tend to go 2500-3000 rpm before shift to 2nd. Lower than that as I sometimes did in traffic and it is like riding the mechanical bull. Heeeee Haaaaa !

Old 11-15-2007, 06:08 AM
minianni
2nd Gear
Like the post above, more revs are needed. Probably lugging the engine. This ain't no diesel.

Old 11-15-2007, 01:24 PM
BobDogNdaHouse
1st Gear
Do you have an automatic or manual trans?

Old 11-15-2007, 01:30 PM
rataha
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Shift up around 6000 and you will smooth right out

Old 11-15-2007, 01:52 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Even at 2k you should be smooth. Even if it's smoother at higher RPM, I'd check with the dealer. Could be a speed sensor going out or some other easily-rectified issue - better safe than sorry.

Old 11-15-2007, 05:11 PM
bigallen
1st Gear
Dear All

Thanks for all the suggestion, I always flat out on my gas pedal.

The reason was I have try to pull 2000 rpm from second gear was, there wasn't any shaken before I "lower the car". I have lowered the car with KONI adjustble kit. Sorry forgot to bring this point up.

I have try other car with 2nd gear at 2000 still pulling stong amd smooth with out the shaking or so call lugging the gear. I know it is not diesel.

Around 5-6000 the whole car body vibrates. even the glove compartment makes noise.

The shop people have check every thing. They think it have to do with the tranfere axel from the engine or the engine mounts. I wil go back to the shop today and see what is goin on. and I will keep updates.

Could a speed sensor do this? or almost going transfere axel do this?

Thanks

Big Allen

Last edited by bigallen; 11-15-2007 at 05:21 PM.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:50 PM
brownflyer
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by bigallen

The reason was I have try to pull 2000 rpm from second gear was, there wasn't any shaken before I "lower the car". I have lowered the car with KONI adjustble kit. Sorry forgot to bring this point up.
Oh yeah! That's a whole other subject. Check out the suspension forum under 1st Gen. There's a lot of info about the shaking there. The amount of drop definitely has a lot to do with it.

How much did you lower it? I think the general concensus is that it is the angle of the axel when a car gets lowered. Some people seem to be ok and don't have the "shakes" going on...

Old 11-15-2007, 06:46 PM
bigallen
1st Gear
Thank you brownflyer,

That was what the shop was wondering about too. The angle of the axle or premuture worn out on the joints causeing the shaking. I dropped the car to about one finger space in the front and rear.

By the way I got the PCM tunning, Milltek whole section exhust, H-sport competion sway bar, Made in Japan BBS forge wheels and almost worn out 1500 miles CSC2. Now try to up grade the suspension to Koni. But now have this problem.

I will looking into the forum and look for some of this issues.

Thank you all

Big Allen

Last edited by bigallen; 11-15-2007 at 06:48 PM.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:08 AM
minianni
2nd Gear
Hey Big Allen...I misunderstood your prob. I thought you were shifting from 1st to 2nd @ 2000 rpms. Not trying to accelerate from 2k. I hope you find the answer.

Old 11-16-2007, 10:52 AM
JPit
2nd Gear
Cabrio Shaking

I lowered my Cabrio with M7 springs and it developed the shaking you are talking about. It has been the same for 2 years. However, if I put 35 psi in the tires it all but goes away.

Old 11-18-2007, 05:47 PM
bigallen
1st Gear
Thank you all,

I have fed up with the shaking. This weekend I have put the OE supsension back in and all the shaking and vibration are gone. Strange? Does this mean I can not lower my car any more?

Once again thank you for all the feed backs.

Big Allen

Last edited by bigallen; 11-18-2007 at 05:54 PM.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:07 PM
brownflyer
Former Vendor
I'm ridding on Megan coilovers with about 1" drop. No issues with shaking.

You've mentioned you're on the Koni adjustables. Are they ride height adjustable? If not, you might be able to use spacers to raise the Mini up a bit. I've read somewhere in the "suspension" forum about a company that makes the spacers.

Old 11-28-2007, 04:56 PM
bigallen
1st Gear
Thank you, brownflyer.
I will try your suggestion to my shop people. I have notice you have the helix Swbr. Is it by hotchkis? If it is, is your competion bar. After all these trouble looking for shakes. I have found out that my Hotchkis Comp swbr. mount is sitting on my chaisis. do you have the same problem?

Old 11-28-2007, 05:00 PM
bigallen
1st Gear
The Koni are both hight and ride adj. The shop drop on the highest setting. the car front end is no room for one finger to fit in. May be itis ture i might need spacers to solve the problem.
Also, I was think about JCW Kits. what do you think? will I get the same shaking experence. since itis made for mini cooper ?

Old 11-28-2007, 08:10 PM
brownflyer
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by bigallen
Thank you, brownflyer.
I will try your suggestion to my shop people. I have notice you have the helix Swbr. Is it by hotchkis? If it is, is your competion bar. After all these trouble looking for shakes. I have found out that my Hotchkis Comp swbr. mount is sitting on my chaisis. do you have the same problem?
Yes, it is the hotchkis comp swbr. but I'm not sure what you mean by "sitting on the chasis". Can you take a pic of it? Here is what mine looks like;
You can see the mounting bracket and bushing behind the spring.

As for the springs, JCW gives you modest drop. You can also look in the the TSW springs as they will also only give you a modest drop. Give TSW a call, I'm sure they'll be happy to help you.

Last edited by brownflyer; 11-28-2007 at 08:13 PM.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:18 PM
brownflyer
Former Vendor
Bigallen,
I'm thinking...What size springs are you running on the Konis? If by chance they happen to be 2.25" ID, you might be able to get longer springs from a different supplier (i.e. Eibach). But that raises yet another question, are your dampers long enough to support a longer spring? You can measure that and find out.
Hope this helps.

Old 11-29-2007, 05:13 PM
bigallen
1st Gear
Originally Posted by brownflyer
Bigallen,
I'm thinking...What size springs are you running on the Konis? If by chance they happen to be 2.25" ID, you might be able to get longer springs from a different supplier (i.e. Eibach). But that raises yet another question, are your dampers long enough to support a longer spring? You can measure that and find out.
Hope this helps.
Dear Brownfly

Thank you again for your kind answers.

I can see you H-Spot Comp. swbr setting. How about the mounting for the sway bar it self. Is it rubbing on the lower part of you car. I mean literly and really rubbing the car underbody.

Cheers

Big Allen

Old 11-29-2007, 08:04 PM
brownflyer
Former Vendor
Now I know what you mean! I went out to take a look at my mounting point for the swbr and the bracket & bushing are very close the underbody. I couldn't tell if it was touching or not. However, the rear subframe and underbody are bolted together and there shouldn't be any independent movement.

I recall commenting to myself how close the bracket was to the underbody when I originally installed the swbr. But, I never gave it a second tought.

I'll try and get under there this weekend to check clearances. I'll take some pics of it as well.

Last edited by brownflyer; 11-29-2007 at 08:09 PM.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:07 AM
bigallen
1st Gear
Dear Brownflyer

I have take some Pics of my H-sport comp Swbar. Don't know how to post it on the page. Can I PM you the PICS. It looks it is rubbing the the underbody. White part is white out I used it to see if rubs off during driving. Seems the bar stay with the subfram. but my exhust sounded loader.

Shaking issue, In other threads an other mini owner call "Sonichris". has reply that he has add a chamber plate and adj to -1.5 and the shake is all gone . do you think is possible. I wish this solution works. because i will order the H-sport chamber set tonight.

Cheers Big Allen

Old 11-30-2007, 09:05 AM
brownflyer
Former Vendor
Wow Bigallen,
Seem like you have a few issues going on. I'll try and help as much as I can, so, sure you can pm me with pics.

To load pics, you can load them into your gallery first and copy/paste from there or while replying to a message go to "advance mode", click on the paperclip, that will allow you to load the pic and post it in a thumbnail format.

I would suggest you start a new thread under the "suspension" forum and ask for help with the rubbing issue. There are a lot more knowledgeable people that might be able to help you as well. But I will do what I can as well.

Do you have stock exhaust? or aftermarket?

Camber plates will help. Here is why, 1) Most camber plates will raise the mini anywhere between 1/2"-1". This alone helps with the angle of the axle. 2) By adding neg. camber you're changing the angle as well. How much? I couldn't tell you?

However, I don't know whether is the increase in ride height or the change in angle due to the neg. camber that has the greatest impact here. I would guess it's the increase in ride height. My Megan c/o came with built in camber plates, but then again, I never had the shakes.

Feel free to PM me so we can discuss.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:34 AM
Intense
252whp 200trq RMW style
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
From what Ive gathered anything lower than a 1 inch drop in front you risk getting the shakes. This is caused by the joints in your drivelines changing angle.

The only way to get rid of it is to raise the car up a bit. My car is lowered about 2 inches and I have a shake when the car is under load at about 60-70mph or so. Its not bad enough to be too annoying to change the ride height of my car but it is there.

Old 11-30-2007, 03:46 PM
bigallen
1st Gear
Hi All

Forget aboutt the PICS uploading, what I took witha DSLR is over 5mg. Way to big tol upoad. too muvh hassel to shrink them.

Swbar rubbing, talked to H-Sport Sales rep. He said it would normal for Cabrio to have the brackt mounts rubbing the chasis. Once i mentioned this issue he return the answer right away,that he is aware of that situation and No biggie! they just hammer then flatter in the shop or shave some of it of.

Exhust Hummmm..... it definaly have to be Miltek from header to toe baby.... Love that sound+ Burps like a race car. Sound like Ferrari coming when the supercharge kicks in.

I guess dropping the car is different in every Mini set up. Some Mini Owners i have talked to are use to the sake and some solved by adding Chamber Plates or not lower that much. But any way i have order the H-sport Chamber plate and Comp Links to test them out soon and hopping no more shake and get baked.

Since it will be on back order until Dec.15 2007. Then I guess I have to wait for Santa to bring me a new Cabrio. while this one is waiting for new part. HAHAHA

Cheers

Big Allen