R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 Cold start issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 02:05 PM
oldtrojan66
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cold start issue

This is not strictly a cabrio issue, although that's what I have, so here goes... About three months ago Sgt Pepper started not starting like usual. At first it was only a stutter after running for about 10-30 sec. Then it became a rough start, then proceeded to a start, sputter, gag, spit, quit, restart and run okay as long as it warms up for about 10 min! I put up with this for a short time then called D & R in Indy for service. They have looked at this three times before when I was there for other stuff (the "stuttering after starting" has been going on for a while longer than 3 mo), but the car was warm and no symptoms. They made an appointment to bring a loaner and take Sgt Pepper to Indy to sit over night and do a cold start. They said they checked a lot of stuff, including voltage, fuel pressure, etc. The only thing they could come up with was bad fuel and asked me what I use. I have nearly always put 91 or 93 octane in, but from at least three different locations. Plus, it seems to me that bad fuel would show itself all the time, not just when cold (?), and he runs fine, after warming up.
They put a fuel additive in and asked me to start using Shell premium. I agreed to try this, but I really think they're missing something. Does anyone have any clues? Didn't I read somewhere, here (can't find the thread, now) about flashing the ECU as a fix for this stuttering problem? D & R have been great to help with this and I don't really have a rant, I just want the car to start and run like it did when new. Is that too much to ask? thanx for letting me ramble! david

Old 01-22-2008, 02:16 PM
lotsie
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My wife has a 05 MC Cabrio. It was having a back-fire issue at cold starts. After it started it ran fine. The dealer could never duplicate this, and their only answer was bad gas.

We run 91/93 in both our MINIs, I have a 03 MC, and even when we both have non tier one gas in them, mine has no issues, and I have not had a reflash of the ECU for close to 3 years now, but hers does not seem to like it.

Here is a link to tier one/top tier gas;
http://www.toptiergas.com/

Hope this helps.

Oh, since only running top tier in the Cabrio the problem has gone away.

Mark

Old 01-22-2008, 03:23 PM
buzzsaw
6th Gear
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
Always use a premium top tier fuel namely Conoco,locally, since day one. On a cold start I always turn on the ignition until the fuel light extinguishes(got the chrono package) and all the associated audio cues cease--then continue with the start. I've read that this primes the system and boots the electronics prior to start.

Old 01-22-2008, 03:45 PM
AstroBlackS
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
There was a thread about a problem similar to this, the person had this trouble only in the cold weather. Apparently, condensation was freezing in the throttle body area, and upon startup, would cause a SES light to come on and go into limp mode.

Old 01-22-2008, 03:45 PM
PGT
Banned
it's a MINI trait, nothing to do with gas. We had it in our '05 MCSC and my '06 MCS. Dealer flashed the latest software and it still happens. They're clueless about the fix.

So, as is normal with me and cars, I work out my own solutions. The key is to let fuel pressure build by turning the key but not starting it, waiting about 5-7 seconds. Since doing this, I've not had a single issue. The culprit seems to be fuel pressure and the emissions closed loop cycle.

Old 01-22-2008, 03:54 PM
AstroBlackS
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
here is the other thread, however it is for 2nd gen:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...=1#post1996470

Old 01-22-2008, 04:09 PM
oxtox
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
similar issue with my current, but soon to be ex-ride. don't pitty me though, i'm pretty psyched. different car, but same manufacturer http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=156535

Old 01-22-2008, 04:48 PM
oldtrojan66
4th Gear
Originally Posted by AstroBlackS
Apparently, condensation was freezing in the throttle body area, and upon startup, would cause a SES light to come on and go into limp mode.
I've not had the SES light come on, and I don't believe its in limp mode.

Originally Posted by PGT
The key is to let fuel pressure build by turning the key but not starting it, waiting about 5-7 seconds.
I've tried letting the start-up symphony end before ignition, but it didn't seem to help. I admit I only tried it a couple times.
Thanks to all for quick replies. I really thought all 91-93 gas would be the same, unless it was dirt or water contaminated.

Old 02-28-2008, 03:33 PM
oldtrojan66
4th Gear
Thought I'd better get the final results of my difficulty in here. I had forgotten to post the "fix". After a thorough go-through by D & R service, their only recommendation was to go to a better fuel, spell that SHELL premium. Well, I didn't believe it, but I tried and Voila', I guess they were right. I've used nothing but Shell for several weeks now, and no, repeat, no issues whatsoever! Made a believer out of me! Yes, I did call D & R and let them know.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:44 AM
JPit
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the same problem with my 05 cabrio. Stared happening about a year after I bought the car. I will start the car and while it is idling, the revs will drop to about 500 rpms for a second and then back to normal. Car runs a little rough for about 30 seconds and then is fine. There was much discussion about this and many people thought it was a difference between summer and winter gas but for me it happened year round. Then one day I used Shell and the problem was reduced by 80%. So I think the type of gas can be the problem.

Old 02-29-2008, 02:52 PM
oldtrojan66
4th Gear
If one chose not to think too long, one would think the "cheap, dirty, ruin your engine", gas would cost less than the "make your car run like normal", kind! But Noooooooo! They charge exorbitant prices for all of it, even if some producer has the hiccups!