R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 Cabrio windscreen / deflector opinions

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 04:52 AM
Tron Chief
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I purchased my wife a Cabrio almost a year ago. She is a top down when the suns up kind of a gal. Her big complaint is that her hands get cold. My biggest complaint when I ride with her is that I GET COLD. (I'm use to my Coupe). I took the opportunity of her birthday approaching and after deciding that she really liked using the back seat I would spend my money on a very clean looking custom made Brownflyer accessory for her car. The main area that gets me is right between the seats and if she won't put the windows up then I really don't think she would have put the OEM screen in.

Old 03-25-2009, 06:18 PM
Tron Chief
6th Gear
Ok my .02, I drive a Coupe and enjoy my car however my wife loves her Cabrio. I don't really like driving in her car based on the fact that she has the attitude that if the sun is up the top is down. 37 degrees with full wind and I can't warm up. So for her birthday I contacted Brownflyer and after one day the production was in full swing. Today on her B-day the package arrived and it looks awesome. The wind is decreased by at least 95% the craftsmanship is extremely well done and the color and look is outstanding. Now the options open up for more rides with us in the car and the top down enjoying the ride. This would be the best $215.00 mod that I have done and I should have done it when we first got the car.

Tron Chief

Old 04-12-2009, 08:09 AM
raleel
1st Gear
So, I have one point that I think is going to make me buy a brownflyer. I went out yesterday and the cross wind was hard enough to fold down the OEM deflector. That is... make it largely useless. I don't think this can actually happen with a brownflyer, or anything else similarly annoying.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:40 AM
cabriopilot
6th Gear
Originally Posted by raleel
I went out yesterday and the cross wind was hard enough to fold down the OEM deflector. That is... make it largely useless.
Wow! That must have been one heck of a crosswind, I don't think I've ever
had my OEM windscreen drop down under any conditions.
I didn't even think it was possible with the way it locks into place.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:43 AM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by cabriopilot
Wow! That must have been one heck of a crosswind, I don't think I've ever
had my OEM windscreen drop down under any conditions.
I didn't even think it was possible with the way it locks into place.
Mine does it about once a month if I get a really heinous crosswind. The OEM deflector doesn't really *lock* into the upright position - it's more of a detent.

I sometimes fold my deflector down when I have the top up to improve the visibility a bit. No idea if this practice contributes to the unintentional flip-down in crosswinds.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:50 AM
Tron Chief
6th Gear
Thanks for the previous discussions about the OEM I have no regrets about getting the Brownflyer screen. I had a cross wind yesterday and was noticing that the dirty air behind large trucks was knocking my hat around a bit. However it was not enough to cause me to worry about loosing my hat.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:47 AM
raleel
1st Gear
Oh, and Tron Chief, this is the attitude of many convertible owners. However, I'm merciful when someone else is in the car With company that doesn't mind it a little cool, 60. With normal people, 70. My myself, 45, and if prepared well, down around 40.

I should get a facemask

Old 04-12-2009, 10:10 AM
Tron Chief
6th Gear
The Cabrio is my wifes car as you can see by my signature she will wear out her top motor and seat warmers long before she stops having fun. Her comment the other day when it rains the rain does not even hit the back seat it only gets wet when you stop or slow down I do find that lower temps are much more enjoyable with the wind deflector in place as noted in the picture below.