R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 R52 no crank no start

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2019, 10:33 AM
Thehive
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R52 no crank no start

My R52 Mini Cooper S (manual 6 speed) exhibited no crank no start earlier this summer. I pushed it into my driveway after trying to rotate the engine using 6th gear and pushing a bit just to see if perhaps the alignment of the flywheel and starter drive tooth was causing problems.

Once I got it in my driveway, magically there was crank and it started. It ran without issue until last week.

Now, no crank no start. Battery is fully charged and have tried with a boost battery. Nothing. I've checked all fuses and relays and all look good. I can hear a click when I depress the clutch which leads me to believe the clutch switch is good.

The starter never really sounded slow or exhibited any problems at all.

I'm hesitant to pull the starter motor only to find out that the starter motor is likely good.

Any suggestions on testing or what what might be causing this issue?

Is there a way I can easily jump the terminals on the starter motor to check for crank? I have not seen anyone suggesting this on forums.

All suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks!

Old 12-14-2019, 07:12 AM
user 7389739
Banned
Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts
Would recommend start with the basics. First, per Uncle Bentley try the other key to start the car. There's apparently something called an EWS or "drive away protection system" which prevents starting the car without the specially coded owner's key. If the key fails or is getting ready to, you may need to replace it and have it coded to your car. Some locksmiths can do this; you may not necessarily need to go to the Mini or BMW dealer.

Next check battery cables and connectors, ensure tight, clean connections, not frayed, broken etc. Also, is the battery old? What is its resting voltage? Should be 12.6V or so at a minimum. Charging voltage should be in the high 13's / low 14's somewhere. If the solenoid at least clicks when you try to start, it's likely not the clutch switch but if it doesn't, and the battery is good, you're likely down to the switch, the solenoid, or the starter itself.

On the clutch switch, check the connection to the switch and make sure it's solid, nothing loose. The click you're feeling is the mechanical side of it and may or may not necessarily indicate good electrical function and/or connectivity. You can probe around with a multi-meter or you can Easter egg it with a replacement for about $25-50 depending on which of the usual local or online vendors you prefer and how much 'OEM quality' you desire to purchase.

As for jumping the starter with the key and clutch switch bypassed, thinking that's not a good idea in general and you'll get the same result by simply removing it and having it tested.

Last edited by user 7389739; 12-14-2019 at 09:22 AM. Reason: added relevant info
Old 12-14-2019, 08:28 AM
MVPeters
5th Gear
Received 145 Likes on 122 Posts
Check the ground connections before you take it all apart!
Main one is by the right side engine mount - must be clean, bright & tight.
Plenty of other threads....

The following 3 users liked this post by MVPeters:
ItsmeWayne (12-21-2019), Tygurscoop (04-09-2021), user 7389739 (12-14-2019)
Old 12-21-2019, 07:14 PM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 329 Likes on 310 Posts
The starter solenoid can be an issue, usually with high mileage cars! (on the starter)

Old 12-22-2019, 11:19 AM
Thehive
Neutral
Start Update

So I've been trying to start the 2005 mini cooper s 6 speed for weeks now. I took out the battery and charged it, just to be sure. It registered at 12.4V with solid connections in the trunk. I Re-installed and no crank, no start. I checked the clutch switch and I could hear the click of the switch and a click from what is probably the solenoid under the hood as I turned the key. I tried this during a colder spell over the past two weeks with no luck.

Today, I was going out to try and push start, to see if she would go, and then perhaps return to starting, as it had before. It is a sunny day and about 5 degrees C. I get in and turned the key, and after a very slight pause, crank and start! I let her warm up and moved her to a new spot. Turned off by key and started up again without issue.

So, at least I have her running, but now I can't be sure if this will happen again and when? Also, no idea on the why.

Any thoughts as to what could be happening? Could the weather be playing a role even though this happened for the first time during the summer? Could there be a wearing part in the starter that could be causing this? Can I rule out the EWS, clutch switch and any other relay problems? Could a bad ground be causing intermittent contact that might be affected by cold and wet? Is the best idea to swap out the starter?

If I can't be sure she will start, I'll have to think about where I want to take her, and this is not a great way to enjoy a mini...

All thoughts are very appreciated! I will be sure to investigate all suggestions!

Old 12-22-2019, 11:23 AM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 329 Likes on 310 Posts
The brushes in the starter are shot!

Old 12-22-2019, 05:05 PM
user 7389739
Banned
Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts
I took out the battery and charged it, just to be sure. It registered at 12.4V with solid connections in the trunk.
That's what mine read, after I charged it all night and half the next day. Still, it was deemed junk when tested at the auto parts store, and they handed over a new one, being it was still under warranty. Should be at least 12.6V for a full charge.

Could there be a wearing part in the starter that could be causing this? Can I rule out the EWS, clutch switch and any other relay problems? Could a bad ground be causing intermittent contact that might be affected by cold and wet? Is the best idea to swap out the starter?
The car wouldn't crank at all if it was a key / EWS issue. Still could be the clutch switch if it's getting ready to fail, and since the starter and solenoid are grounded to the engine through the block doubtful it's an intermittent ground.

The brushes in the starter are shot!
That would be my guess, and/or the solenoid isn't fully engaging, either because it's shot as well or the battery is a turd. At this point I would pull the battery for in-shop testing. If you replace it, then maybe see how the car behaves before taking a wrench to the exhaust manifold to access the starter. Or just get the starter tested now for peace of mind.

Last edited by user 7389739; 12-22-2019 at 05:14 PM. Reason: add'l info
Old 11-28-2020, 09:05 AM
Thehive
Neutral
So, on a sunny day last winter, I decided I would just go and try her with the key and boom, full crank started right up. Very weird.

She ran all spring and summer, no problems at all.

Last week, in mid November in Ontario (colder and wet), when I went to start, as I turned the key to start, there was a 1 or 2 second pause before she cranked and started. This week, I went out to start and nothing - same as last year at almost the same time of year.

I checked other forums and sites and someone mentioned the ignition circuit starter. So, I follwed the instructions and took out the ignition starter behind the key mechanism - very easy to get to and very easy to remove. I pulled apart the switch and noticed a bit of corrosion on one of the switch terminals. I cleaned it up with some sandpaper and reassembled. Reinstalled but no crank - same condition.

I'm guessing it is the starter, but very weird that when it was starting all summer, never did she hesitate or have trouble cranking. No issues at all. Only when cold and wet does she say no.

Again, any suggestions would be very welcome and helpful since I'm looking at another winter with her parked and not working until I can solve this.

Thanks!

Old 11-29-2020, 09:21 AM
NC TRACKRAT
6th Gear
Received 232 Likes on 169 Posts
Years ago, I had a Euro BMW 635CSi that did the same thing as soon as the temp got below 32F/0C. Finally solved it by replacing the ignition switch.

Old 02-28-2021, 10:56 AM
Thehive
Neutral
Update

So the R52 Cooper S convertible has been parked since November. Every now and then, I would go out to try and see if she would crank but nothing.

Yesterday, here in February in Ontario, it was sunny and plus 8 degrees C so I thought I would give her a try and she would slowly crank with a weak battery from sitting for so long. I took the battery out and charged her over night. Now, I have a very fast crank, but no start. I topped up 5L of fuel to be sure there were no issues from stale gas but nothing. At least I am getting a crank! I can now begin to diagnose and see where that leads but thought I would update the group to also see if anyone has any suggestions based on this odd scenario of no crank when colder and wetter weather.

I will update on what I find!

Old 02-28-2021, 12:04 PM
Thehive
Neutral
Just tried getting some OBD codes and couldn't connect. Also, dash gauges do not move when key turned to on, just before crank. I can't remember if they jump to life in key position on or not. All very weird, but this is feeling electrical in nature at this point...

Old 03-01-2021, 10:08 AM
nd-photo.nl
6th Gear
Received 308 Likes on 263 Posts
Check the battery and consider replacing the crank position sensor

Old 03-02-2021, 10:08 AM
Thehive
Neutral
Thanks. The battery seems to be irrelevant since the starter would not previously engage at all, but after sitting and possibly drying out and warming up, the starter engaged and turned the engine over but slowly, without enough energy to start. So, in as much as all the no crank no start advice suggests battery issues, my experience does not support that the battery either works or it doesn't. Like all battery issues, batteries get weaker over time and will always crank the starter slowly. If too slow, the car will not start.

I have not investigated the crank position sensor and I'm unfamiliar with what it is supposed to do so I will investigate this.

Thanks for posting your suggestions! I very much appreciate it!

Old 03-07-2021, 08:11 AM
Thehive
Neutral
So weird

So, I've been following all of the diagnostic hints I have been reading here and on other forums. Yesterday, I pulled the back seat to check if I was getting any voltage at the fuel pump. While checking, I heard the fuel pump prime so I figured it was working.

This morning, a sunny but very cold morning in Ontario in March at -4 C. I was headed out to check spark. I pulled the number 1 wire and got a screwdriver against a grounded bolt in the engine housing. I had my son crank and she tried to start. I put the wire back on and she fired and ran.

So, while this is good news, I now have no idea as to what is causing first the no crank, no start last year. And now, the crank no start for a few weeks.

Just thought I'd update on my progress.

I can only conclude that this mini, only likes to start, and drive, when it's sunny.