R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 New Member Intro

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2021, 01:27 PM
jamielay
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New Member Intro

Howdy! Just scooped this little gem a couple weeks ago. It's got a lotta miles (195k ) and needs some love, but damn is it fun. Scared the **** outta me second day - I learned what it sounds like when the timing belt tensioner isn't working.. Now I'm tracing an issue with the ac clutch or perhaps serp tensioner squeaking and locking the whole setup.. I come from VW rabbits, and am parting with my 90 Cabriolet to take this on... Anyways, happy to be here and ready to soak up everything there is to know about these... (I did have an R56 for 3 months and it blew up but Carmax refunded me... that's a story for another day!)

Here's a pic of me and Sky (my 6 year old named it).

Old 06-14-2021, 01:31 PM
jamielay
Neutral
Oh, it had some ugly after market wheels, thankfully a buddy had these mini lites and I was able to trade. These terrible tail lights go next...

The following users liked this post:
i53nyc (08-07-2021)
Old 06-21-2021, 07:13 PM
CooperSCabrio
Neutral
Love that color, congrats! I just made a deal to purchase my 1st Mini, ‘06 Cooper S Convertible w/manual and 120k miles. I’m planning to pick it up in a few days and drive it 2 hours home. I’ve never driven or even been inside of a Mini, sent a mobile mechanic to do a pre-inspection and made a deal without seeing it. Spoke to my local mechanic and a neighbor who’s owned an ‘05 and has a son that currently owns one to get their opinions and they said go for it. Never even considered one until I started looking at used cars over the weekend and now I’m already planning to join a group ride next month.

Mineeee (06-22-2021)
Old 06-22-2021, 03:54 PM
miniCPA
5th Gear
Received 145 Likes on 129 Posts
Welcome both to the forum and the MINI experience. I couldn’t imagine buying a MINI without driving one first. Before I first drove one, I assumed I would never fit. I never imagined how great they handle.

You are both going to love your new MINIs.

Old 06-22-2021, 05:20 PM
CooperSCabrio
Neutral
Originally Posted by miniCPA
Welcome both to the forum and the MINI experience. I couldn’t imagine buying a MINI without driving one first. Before I first drove one, I assumed I would never fit. I never imagined how great they handle.

You are both going to love your new MINIs.
First, apology to Jamie, didn't mean to highjack your thread so I hope you're okay with me adding to it.

I factory ordered a full size '21 SUV in early January and it has not been produced and may be pushed out to a '22 model which means it likely won't be delivered until the end of the year. I've been working from home, sharing the wife's car, selling my e-Golf, but will be returning to work more frequently and will need a car. That's what started the used car search, needed something to get to work and run errands until my new vehicle gets delivered. It came down to a Lexus SC430, BMW 435i convertible, and a Cooper S convertible. My kids will be learning to drive in another 5-8 years and I really want both of them to learn to drive a manual. I haven't owned a manual in 17 years so what better reason to not just get a fun car, restore it, teach the kids to drive with it, and keep it as a project car. Found a Cooper that looks to be well maintained, quality aftermarket bolt-ons, and very reasonably priced.

Old 06-22-2021, 09:03 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 373 Likes on 314 Posts
Welcome to 'proper' MINI motoring. We've had many fun wind-in-our-hair road trips including one next month.

I've only four reasons for running up the head.
1. It is raining.
2. It is snowing.
3. My co-pilot is whining about being too hot or cold
and I can't hear the supercharger.
4. Some guys are throwing empty beer cans
in the back seat and didn't invite me.

CooperSCabrio (06-22-2021)
Old 09-11-2021, 10:00 PM
CooperSCabrio
Neutral

I picked up my R52 almost 3 months ago, 2006 Cooper S. Came with a Borla Touring exhaust, K&N Intake, coil-over lowering, sway bar, aftermarket headlights and LED taillights, front splitter, MSD Ignition, Peddle Commander, and Uni-Chip (removed and sold). My local mechanic replaced the oil filter housing, oil pan gasket, valve cover, coolant reservoir, and did a synthetic oil change and coolant flush.

Mods I completed myself in the last couple of months:
- Hyperdip Anthracite Grey oem wheels
- BMW Golden Brown dyed leather seats and door arm rests
- Vvivid Matte Riviera Blue vinyl wrap, flat blackout trim, and matte ceramic coat (never wrapped a car before, learning experience, watched a lot of Christian's CK Wraps videos on YouTube)
- Vvivid smoke headlight film
- Vvivid yellow fog light film
- LED headlight bulbs, smoke LED front & rear marker lights, smoke LED side marker lights
- Stripes & Union Jack white vinyl hood graphics from an Etsy store in England
- Union Jack mirror caps, antenna, center caps, and interior handle covers
- Door cards, dash, gauges, and trim finished in dark grey metallic paint & Anthracite Grey Hyperdip
- PlastiDip black roll bar covers
- Razo aluminum peddles
- Alpine head unit, MB Quart 6.5" component set up front, 5.25" rears, 12" sub, and 5-channel amp.

This is my fun budget project car that I bought for commuting to work, 10 year old daughter named her Smurfette. I've only put about 250 miles on the Cooper in the last 3 months, only driven with the top up once, been a really fun car to own.

Last edited by CooperSCabrio; 09-11-2021 at 10:08 PM.