R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 R52 2008 Convertible top not opening

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2024 | 10:12 AM
Cachuttm
|
Neutral
R52 2008 Convertible top not opening

Hello guys!

I’ve been reading a lot of threads, but just a few I’ve found that describe the behavior in my r52, but still no ideas on a solution.
My top will open the first stage, but then won’t do anything else. It won’t lower the windows, it won’t show a blinking red light either. Yes, I checked the rear shelf, and even replaced it just in case. I also replaced the module but still not operation for opening. And I say just for opening, because I have opened the top manually, and it will close perfectly fine.
Recently, I bought a scanner that would read the CVM module, and it’s coming up with some codes.
It says, “Switch, stowage lock, right: short circuit to ground” and also “Switch, stowage lock, left: short circuit to ground”.
I’ve read that after 2005 the r52 have this extra system to lock the top when stowed. I tried replacing the green relay, but nothing changed.

According to the scanner, the hall sensors are reading what they are supposed to.
what seems weird to me is that both switches have short circuit, And frankly I’m not sure if the piece for that switch is this triangular shape piece that I know is in both sides of the car.

If anyone can please give me some hints or clarification on how to fix that code, it would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-05-2024 | 01:31 PM
zabond
2nd Gear
1st check the micro switch on the l/h side that the parcel tray activates [if you lower the tray you should hear a light "click"] also make sure that the locking levers [one each side] are fully locked, I had the same problem and it was the levers not fully locked even though I thought they were they needed a bit of a wiggle, after I open and closed the levers about 20 times it all started working, maybe the switches were a bit stuck
good luck Russ
'

Old 10-05-2024 | 03:19 PM
Cachuttm
|
Neutral
Originally Posted by zabond
1st check the micro switch on the l/h side that the parcel tray activates [if you lower the tray you should hear a light "click"] also make sure that the locking levers [one each side] are fully locked, I had the same problem and it was the levers not fully locked even though I thought they were they needed a bit of a wiggle, after I open and closed the levers about 20 times it all started working, maybe the switches were a bit stuck
good luck Russ
'
Thank you for your advice. The parcel tray switch is working fine, I replaced it before having the scanner, and the scanner shows that is good as well. I tried your advice with opening and closing the levers but still no luck.
I’m still not sure what the code means, or if it’s a switch that needs to be replaced, just not sure which one is exactly.

Last edited by Cachuttm; 10-13-2024 at 07:32 AM.
Old 10-13-2024 | 08:25 AM
Cachuttm
|
Neutral
After some time of research, I found that after 2006 the R52s have two locks, one on each side, to keep the convertible top secure when stowed in case of an accident. The pillar hooks are supposed to go in there and those will press a small lever or toggle to activate a switch.

There’s a switch in each lock that will send a signal to the CVM module to let it know if the convertible top is locked once completely stowed. It’s a very simple circuit, when the circuit is open, it means unlocked, and when the circuit is closed, means that is locked.

In my particular situation, the switch was stuck and it was closing the circuit even when the top was not stowed, letting the CVM module know that it was locked. That’s why the convertible top was not opening, the module needs to read “open or unlocked” from those switches to start the sequence to open the convertible top.

As you can see, that small copper toggle is what makes the switch function, when the top is stowed the pillar hooks will press on it, closing the circuit. Once the top is closed, that toggle or lever should go completely up to open the circuit, but as you can see in the picture, there was a small gap at the beginning, which means it was not going up all the way, leaving the circuit closed. I tried some contact cleaner, and will try with WD40 to see if that will solves the issue, if not maybe disassemble the lock to try to fix it or replace it (I think the part is available in eBay used).

In the mean time since it’s a very simple continuity circuit, I incorporated another solution, extending the circuit and adding another switch, so I can manually send or cut the signal to the module.

Hope this helps in case your convertible top is not opening and you get the same trouble codes from the CVM module.

The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (Yesterday)
Old 10-13-2024 | 02:07 PM
zabond
2nd Gear
glad you found the prob, as I said the side lock levers were also my problem but with a bit of lube and some jiggling they came good
Russ [down under]

Old Yesterday | 09:02 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
+1 thanks for posting that. Linked this old thread: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ompletely.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172