R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 Install Guide - XM Direct with Blitzsafe Adapter in an 06 Mini Cooper Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 12:20 PM
pjschaffer
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Install Guide - XM Direct with Blitzsafe Adapter in an 06 Mini Cooper Convertible

The following is a step-by-step guide to installing an XM receiver into a 2006 Mini Convertible. This guide will most likely work on previous model years. This is a recreation of the steps that I took to install XM in my vehicle. No warranties or guarantees are made as to the completeness of this guide. While every attempt was made to be accurate, your experience may vary.

This guide is a compilation of information found in the NAM forums.

Some of the photos in this guide were provided by MINImis. See MINImis’s gallery.
Ricky provided the inspiration to try this on a convertible in this thread
Rev. Limiter provided information on how to remove the OEM Antenna from the roof of the Mini Convertible in this thread and this thread.

Without the efforts by all, my antenna would probably still be on the dash.

Equipment required - XM Direct Receiver and Blitzsafe Mini Adapter. I got mine here.

The first step is to mount the XM Direct Receiver and Blizsafe Module. The Blitzsafe will connect to the CD Changer controls that are located in the boot of the Mini, on the right side behind a carpeted panel.

The panel can be removed by removing the plastic retainer in the center of the panel. While this retainer looks like a screw, it is not. The best way I found to remove it is to pry the screw head out a little and then pull with a pair of pliers. Once the “screw” is removed, the larger retainer can also be removed. The panel can then be removed by tugging it from your Mini. This does take a little force, but the panel seems capable of handling it. I did find that if I removed some of the retainers from the plastic trim in the boot closest to the tailgate, it was a little easier to remove the panel and significantly easier to replace.
Once the panel is removed, you will see a white foam rubber liner underneath which is easily removed.

The CD changer cables are located adjacent to the rear seatbelt tensioner and will most likely be taped to other cabling in the boot.

Remove the tape and separate the CD changer cables and connectors.

The Blitzsafe module can be mounted below the seat belt tensioner. The foam rubber pad will need to be modified to fit after you have placed the Blitzsafe module. Some have trimmed the foam, I simply removed the whole bottom left corner. The XM Direct module can be place as shown in the photo or simply placed on top of the boot liner adjacent to the roll bar tubes as I have done.

Now it is time to mount the XM Antenna. I mounted the antenna in the base of the OEM FM/AM antenna. To gain access to the OEM Antenna base, you need to remove the center map/cabin light module at the top of the front window. This is done by gently prying the light assembly from the trim. There are three fixed tabs in the front (toward the front of the car) and two flexible retainers at the rear. Many have had luck prying from the front of the assembly. I found it worked best for me to work from the rear. The rear view mirror can be moved out of the way by rotating 90 degrees. It will then come loose from the roof. Once you drop the light assembly, you can remove the multi-pin connector and get the assembly out of your way.

Once the light assembly is removed, you will have access to the OEM antenna retaining nut. Remove the nut and the OEM antenna will come loose from the roof of the car.

There are four screws in the bottom of the antenna. Remove the screws and the plastic antenna cover will separate from the antenna base.

Now you need to prepare your XM antenna. Start by removing the sticker on the bottom of the antenna with a razor blade. You will see four screws (see photo). Remove the screws and gently disassemble the antenna. You will need to cut the rubber material away from the antenna guts. Just don’t cut the wire. Now remove the red/pink plastic housing from the other end of the XM antenna cable. This is done by removing the white plastic clip from the housing. The plastic housing will then fall away. Keep these pieces for later. Thread the connector end of the antenna cable through the OEM antenna base and place the XM antenna on the base as shown in the photo. Double sided tape works well to hold it in place. I had to trim a little of the internal structure of the OEM antenna cover for the cover to fit over the XM antenna. I used some pretty thick double sided tape. If you use thinner stuff, you may not need to trim. Reattach the OEM Base to the cover and then reattach the antenna to the car with the retaining nut.

Now the fun begins. To route the antenna wire along the top of the frame, I first removed the right side sun visor and sun visor clip. Once this is done, you can gently pull the plastic molding down enough to route the wire between the molding and the frame. I started by threading the antenna wire from the light assembly to the inside of the car by passing it between the plastic molding and the rubber gasket material. Once you do this, you can pull the rubber away a little as you work the wire between the rubber and the plastic trim over to the A Pillar. The A pillar will also pull away enough so that you can route down behind it down to the door and then behind the dash. From that point, simply push the wire under the plastic trim pieces along the door sill to the rear of the car, under the rear seat and into the boot. If you take your time, you can easily hide the wire so that it cannot be seen at all. Reattach the red/pink housing using the white clip and connect to the XM Direct module. Connect the CD Changer wiring to the Blitzsafe (will only go in one way) and the Blitzsafe wiring to the XM Direct Module. Now test. You should get Channel 1 and a couple of others before activating. If everything works, button it back up and enjoy.

Feel free to PM me with any questions. I will do my best to respond.

I also have a PDF version of the guide available. It was too large to attach so I've put in the webspace I get with my ISP. I don't normally use this so ot may disappear in the future. If it does, just PM me. I've hosted the photos on my own photo archive account and I don't plan on removing them but make no guarantees.

Motor On
Phil (pjschaffer)

Last edited by pjschaffer; 03-24-2006 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Add pdf link
Old 04-12-2006, 07:54 AM
pjschaffer
5th Gear
Bump - There seems to be a flurry of folks using these instructions lately based on PMs I've received and posts in other threads. Maybe this should have been posted in the Navigation and Audio Forum instead? Moderators, please move if you think that would make sense.

Old 04-12-2006, 09:27 AM
mistro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thanks, this is terriffic

Old 04-12-2006, 10:54 AM
alpinamike
5th Gear
Can i see a pick of the screen

I want to make sure it works with the muti-funtion wheel control, and the names come up on the radio screen, Station, title, ..etc

-alpinamike

Old 04-12-2006, 11:03 AM
pjschaffer
5th Gear
Originally Posted by alpinamike
I want to make sure it works with the multi-function wheel control, and the names come up on the radio screen, Station, title, ..etc

-alpinamike
Alpinamike,

I'll try to get a pic or two tonight, however, I can absolutely verify that the station, song title and artist name will display. They do not, however, scroll and you only get one lines worth of info, the rest is cut off. You have to push the info button to change the display and it will default back to station name after a short delay.

The MFSW buttons work fine. A quick press of the up or down button cycles through your presets. A long press advances up or down one channel. It's a little touchy but it works.

Old 04-12-2006, 07:34 PM
pjschaffer
5th Gear
I want to make sure it works with the muti-funtion wheel control, and the names come up on the radio screen, Station, title, ..etc

-alpinamike
Alpinamike,

Here are the photos of the HU with the XM Info.

Phil

Old 04-13-2006, 04:54 PM
alpinamike
5th Gear
Thanks

But it does not scroll like the regular radio RDS system.
Do you have to hit the info button.
It looks great.
Does XM have a user rate that is lower if you get your service advice from another XM user like Siruis.
How does it sound w/ H/K better then FM and CD?

-alpinamike

Old 04-13-2006, 09:00 PM
alpinamike
5th Gear
Did you get the discount

on the XM100?

Old 04-14-2006, 05:46 AM
pjschaffer
5th Gear
But it does not scroll like the regular radio RDS system.
Do you have to hit the info button.
Right, no scrolling. You have to push the info button and after a short delay, it will switch back to the channel display.

It looks great.
Does XM have a user rate that is lower if you get your service advice from another XM user like Siruis.
Not that I know of. I took a quick look at www.xmradio.com but couldn't find anything like a referral program. You can find the service plans here. Basically, it's $12.95 a month with increasing discounts if you purchase a 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 year package. A second XM receiver on the same account is $6.99 a month.

How does it sound w/ H/K better then FM and CD?
Sound is better than FM and pretty close to CD quality. Hard to tell the difference over typical road noise. I have no complaints. In fact, I also have XM in another of my vehicles I like it so much.

As for discounts on the XM100, I'm not sure what that is. I did get a $30 rebate on the XM Direct receiver but I believe that offer expired on April 1, 2006. XM's current rebate offers don't include the XM Direct but ends on April 29. It's possible that they'll rotate the XM Direct back into the rebate then.

One additional benefit is XMOnline. Basically, once your a subscriber, you can stream any of the XM channels over your internet connection at no additional charge. I think Sirius has something similar.

Old 04-14-2006, 07:41 AM
alpinamike
5th Gear
Thanks

I saw the rebate on their site, its gone now.
Thanks for the review.
I just wonder how i can hook th ipod up also?
-alpinamike

Old 04-14-2006, 07:51 AM
pjschaffer
5th Gear
I saw the rebate on their site, its gone now.
Thanks for the review.
I just wonder how i can hook the ipod up also?
-alpinamike
The SLD01 Blitzsafe adapter has feed through connectors. This means you can connect anything to your system that you would have been able to before installation of the XM Direct. Thus, if you planned to use the Denison Ice Link through the CD changer cables, that is still possible and I believe that I've seen posts from others that have done this.

Old 04-14-2006, 07:53 AM
alpinamike
5th Gear
I remember that.

I did not know if it was sirus or XM,
thanks for comfirming.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:50 PM
ptroost
Neutral
I am trying to install a sirius antenna inside the antenna base of my 2008 MCS convertible. On the step where you pry the convenience light panel off above the mirror, I am stuck. I've put quite a bit of force on that panel and it will not release, I'm afraid I'm going to break it.

Do you pull straight down along the back edge? Do you push "in" toward the front of the car along the back edge and down at the same time? How do you get that piece to let go?

Thanks!

Old 02-12-2011, 01:43 PM
Spiderwolf
2nd Gear
I tried this on a Cabrio that had XM installed by us after the car was purchased. I thought it would be cool to get rid of the magnetic antenna on the roof. I followed the wire from the magnetic base, through rubber trim, down the A pillar, inside the car, removed the glove box and radio only to find the end of the wire from the magnetic base has a standard antenna type plug on it. There was no red/pink connector. Maybe because it was not a blitz safe brand?? I dont know. Mine is all XM brand stuff, but I figured the end of the cable would be the same. They all have to hook up the same I would think. Not this one. Very disappointed. Wasted 3 hours. what a colossal waste of time and energy.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:51 PM
Spiderwolf
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ptroost
I am trying to install a sirius antenna inside the antenna base of my 2008 MCS convertible. On the step where you pry the convenience light panel off above the mirror, I am stuck. I've put quite a bit of force on that panel and it will not release, I'm afraid I'm going to break it.

Do you pull straight down along the back edge? Do you push "in" toward the front of the car along the back edge and down at the same time? How do you get that piece to let go?

Thanks!
Let me tell you. That light was a Mother F@*%#r. If you pull it down from the back like the directions say, you will break the tabs on it holding the back in place. It has to come down from the front! And, I could not even get it down then.

On an 05 Cabrio, I had to drop the entire upper panel assembly which meant removing the mirror and the inside "A" pillars. Once that entire assembly is down and hanging, you will see two tension clips that have to be pushed in from the front to drop that light assymbly. And even doing it that way, those clips were so tight, I had to fight it and it took me 10 minutes!! Even with easy access to the clips. Whoever designed that needs to be shot!

If you look in the picture where this guy pulled it down from the back, he really gouged his plastic up! Not the way to do it. If it wont pop down from the front fairly easy, you are much better off dropping the whole upper assembly to get to it. That means removing the two phillips screws on each side holding your visors in place, and the two torx screws on each side holding the piece that the visor clips into. Twist the mirror couter clockwise and it will pop down.Then, the whole upper assymble just has two tabs that push into two clips holding it up. All you have to do is pull down on both sides and it will come loose. It only takes 5 minutes to get all that stuff loose, and you dont need to fight with that light assymbly and take the chance of breaking something. Then you have easy access to the nut holding the antenna base in place.

Last edited by Spiderwolf; 02-13-2011 at 03:33 PM.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:38 PM
I CHA 3X
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
tagging post for instructions on cd changer. thanks.