R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 spider!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 10:58 AM
katesmini
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
spider!

I ran a quick errand this morning and when I got back I just left the top down because I knew I was going to be heading out again soon. When I came back out I noticed a little spider web on the passenger side. I didn't see a spider so I figured it had moved on. While wouldn't you know that as soon as I hopped on the freeway, the spider shows up! Right on the steering wheel. Hanging there in all his spider scariness, blowing in the wind. Then he dropped right down on the seat between my legs! I brushed him onto the ground and tried to maintain my composure as I was going at freeway speeds. I got off at the next exit and connvinced myself that he hadn't crawled onto me or anything, but I couldn't find him anywhere! People, this was not a SMALL spider! This was a large, angry, I want to scare you to death spider! So, I know this has happened to all of us cabrio owners at one time or another. Can I get some words of encouragement that he's not waiting under the seat to attack me as soon as I stop paying attention???

Old 09-08-2006, 11:09 AM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Things often look bigger when next to a Mini, perhaps it really wasn't that big of a spider.
(Probably laying eggs under there as you read this).

Old 09-08-2006, 11:12 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pink dancing bananas, that's scary!

Old 09-08-2006, 11:15 AM
Mini Mizer
5th Gear
I would have died (if i managed to live somehow)....i would have pulled off the road and jumped out....i dont do spiders. And i wouldnt drive that car again until i had a dead spider for proof...or until i searched the car from bonnet to boot.

nuh-uh not me! spiders stay AWAY!!! :impatient :impatient :impatient

Old 09-08-2006, 11:22 AM
ThomB
5th Gear
Step 1-- Top Up.
Step 2-- Windows Up.
Step 3-- Insect Bomb the car.

Just kidding that's not what I do, I call my wife to kill them.

Old 09-08-2006, 11:24 AM
JC Scooper
3rd Gear
Cabrios don't have a monopoly on this. I often park my MCS in our garage with sun roof open and have occasionally had similar visitors! However, none have been as large an nasty as you report. Neatest visitor I've had was a mocking bird who landed on the sun roof wind deflector while I was stopped somewhere, and looked about ready to hop in when he spotted me down below. I'm not sure who was more surprised.

Old 09-08-2006, 11:49 AM
RafterManFMJ
2nd Gear
Put the top up, park in the Sun. Spider dehydrates. Sweep out his hoary husk at your leisure.

Old 09-08-2006, 11:51 AM
pottermom
6th Gear
Had a tarantula in my car when I lived in the desert. Now THAT was an interesting ride.... as soon as I saw him I was on the side of the road, out the door, screaming my head off. I hate tarantulas. In the house was bad, in the car worse... I couldn't run.

Old 09-08-2006, 11:53 AM
62Lincoln
5th Gear
Kudos for keeping your composure under duress. Unlike this guy: http://video.msn.com/v/us/v.htm?g=42...ideos&GT1=8506

Old 09-08-2006, 12:00 PM
Hngn on n the psnger seat
6th Gear
We actually had a cricket of all things in the car today. Now you may not think this is a big deal but as you are Motoring quickly down the freeway and your child starts screaming in the back seat it becomes a big deal.............yes i know my children are wusses

Was a bee last week flew into my sons lap

Old 09-08-2006, 12:12 PM
climbergirl
5th Gear
ok, hate spiders! absolutely hate them. We have this huge flowering tree that drapes over our walkway. Every night we have too look for charlotte and her buddies. They build these webs that are big enough to catch a large animal. The are nasty, big buggers. We usually smoosh em. I hate it when we don't see the web and then the web ends up on our face! Nasty. Happens several times each summer.

Old 09-08-2006, 12:15 PM
Morris9982
4th Gear
I just had an idea for a movie....Spiders in a Car. What do you think?

Old 09-08-2006, 12:19 PM
AggieMini
4th Gear
Screw that. I am going to have to sell my car now and it hasn't even left England yet.

Kidding, of course...

Old 09-08-2006, 12:25 PM
UKDragon
Iguana Tamer
ew. good job on not getting into an accident. I might have.
Spiders have no business being so creepy!

I caught a fat cat sleeping on my bonnet the other day. UGH
that got me so mad. (I also hate cats!)

Old 09-08-2006, 12:33 PM
Squirlz
6th Gear
They are more scared of you than you are of them.

That's why they will bite you and fill you with poisonous venom while they lay eggs in your brain.

But seriously....
My girlfriend has raised several generations of spiders in her GTI. They like to drop down in front of her face while she's at speed. She's become accustomed and doesn't get too startled any more but she just can't get rid of them!

Old 09-08-2006, 12:35 PM
Mini Mizer
5th Gear
Has anyone noticed how ninjas and spiders have alot in common? I mean come on, they are quiet, hide in dark cracks/areas, can climb up walls with ease, have their own personal grappling hooks to scale down and ninja attack you with deadly poison. They are down right scarry!

Old 09-08-2006, 12:47 PM
TReed
2nd Gear
Last week I only had the sunroof option of the cabrio open along with the windows down, and as I was waiting at a drive-thru window a HUGE bumble bee dropped down inside the opening! I was trapped because I was too close to the pick up window to opent the door and get so I just about freaked out. Luckily I think I scared him just as much and he buzzed on out.

Old 09-08-2006, 01:24 PM
AggieMini
4th Gear
I wonder if you leave it some crumbs in the floor...if it will consider it a peace offering and not bite you. Then you could be friends. And give it a name....just like Mini...

Old 09-08-2006, 01:31 PM
climbergirl
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Mini Mizer
Has anyone noticed how ninjas and spiders have alot in common? I mean come on, they are quiet, hide in dark cracks/areas, can climb up walls with ease, have their own personal grappling hooks to scale down and ninja attack you with deadly poison. They are down right scarry!
You are sooo funny!

Old 09-08-2006, 01:34 PM
SpiderX
6th Gear
Spiders.... I don't see the problem......

actually my name comes from my Mt bikes ........Intense "Spider" and a Titus "RacerX"

I was bit three times in two months while trail running in the woods.....

Spiders are not my favorite.....

park it and let him dehydrate..... or leave a window open and he will probably just leave on his own..... or others may join him....JK

Old 09-08-2006, 01:39 PM
gizzer777
5th Gear
Just as long as...

That bugger did not have an Hourglass shaped red thing on its belly (Black widows...also have long legs) or was a brown Recluse (VERY dangerous)...Most spyders are not dangerous!!...Rent a cat and put him in there with the windows up and top up!

My dogs hunt them too but not as well as a cat would...this is time of year for spyders...be on lookout for a web...means it has taken up residense in your Mini!

Old 09-08-2006, 01:43 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
I remember a post years ago about someone who had a (former) bug inside their tail light housing. Since it was a new MINI (they all were) we figured it was a British bug that had made the entire trip over from Plant Oxford. At that point who could not love it. I think the owner just left it there, gave it a name, and repeated the legend for anyone who would listen.

Old 09-08-2006, 01:43 PM
AggieMini
4th Gear
Oh my goodness...rent a cat and put inside with top/windows up... I almost wet myself....

FUNNY FUNNY!

Old 09-08-2006, 02:08 PM
Annewithane
4th Gear
Ah, the joys of open motoring!

Old 09-08-2006, 02:15 PM
gizzer777
5th Gear
Did the owner

Originally Posted by gokartride
I remember a post years ago about someone who had a (former) bug inside their tail light housing. Since it was a new MINI (they all were) we figured it was a British bug that had made the entire trip over from Plant Oxford. At that point who could not love it. I think the owner just left it there, gave it a name, and repeated the legend for anyone who would listen.
DiD the owner feed it....cucumber sandwiches and dishwater coffee???

Quick Reply: R52 spider!