R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 Show me your Cool Blue/Blue Top/Dark Blue Leather MCC or MCSC!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 11:41 PM
Wessy
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Show me your Cool Blue/Blue Top/Dark Blue Leather MCC or MCSC!

Can anyone show me or direct me to pics of this color combo? A friend of mine gave me a heads-up about a used Cool Blue MCSC he knows of that's for sale that has the Blue convertible top and Dark Blue Leather Seats with Orange Stitching -- I believe this spec includes blue interior door panels, and maybe blue carpeting, too? not sure about the dash or the interior side panels around the back seat; anyone know? -- but I'm not sure how I'd feel about living with all that blue as my daily driver, and I want to get a better sense of what it all looks like together before I decide whether I'm interested enough to contact the seller. (Yes, I could just ask them if they have any pics, but I want to do it this way first, without any pressure/expectation that I might buy.)

I've stumbled upon a few shots of Cool Blue 'verts with Blue tops, but I haven't been able to find any pics that give me a good look at the interior with the Dark Blue Leather Seats with Orange Stitching, although I've done bunches of searches. (Note: The interior I'm describing is different from the very cool Cloth/Leather combo upholstery in Sunrise Orange and Dark Blue. But you already knew that.) If I could get a good look at how it all looks together, with the interior and everything, that'd be awesome!

BTW, is there some really good reason I can't find a Cool Blue Owners or Registry Thread? I've searched and searched, to no avail.

Thanks in advance for any help you can send my way!

Old 12-10-2006, 02:54 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I have that color combo - there are a few pix in my gallery - though no good ones of the interior, alas.

I absolutely LOVE the color combo. I stared at the cool blue for a LONG time before deciding if I could live with it for 10-20 years - and decided that I could. And I'm glad I did. Got body color dash and door accents. I also wondered about the orange (!) stitching before ordering - but to be honest I don't even notice it - it does NOT scream "ORANGE!!!" - it's just kinda "there". And with the orange accent lights in the MINI it seems to work.

This color combo comes with dark blue carpet also, and the door panels are very dark blue (not black) and the dash top is black (not blue). But the shades are so close that again, you don't really notice it, even where the door panel blends into the dash. There are umpteen shades of blue, gray and black in the car, but somehow it just all works. The leather is VERY dark blue, in most light it almost looks black. Only in bright sun is the blue hue very apparent - and even then it's very dark.

The color is NOTHING like the "cool blue" color in the configurator, and being semi-pearlescent metallic, paint chips and photos don't really do it justice either. In bright sun it's medium blue metallic. In dim light it's almost indigo. Kinda "cool" indeed.

Old 12-10-2006, 10:44 PM
brownflyer
Former Vendor
I also have the same color combo and absolutely love it!!! I agree with Paul that the interior really goes well together. The orange stitching adds a bit of sportiness to the cabin, IMO, without being too obnoxious. I'm actually taking that orange theme a bit further and going to add a bit of orange in some areas of the car. Check out my gallery to see what I've done with the engine compartment.

You should definitely check it out.

Old 12-10-2006, 11:56 PM
Wessy
1st Gear
Sweet! I love the orange you added under the bonnet, brownflyer!

And thanks for the detailed description, Paul -- that's really helpful!

Old 12-11-2006, 08:26 AM
Suji
3rd Gear

Here is a picture of my 06 MC

Old 12-11-2006, 08:41 AM
Jughead
4th Gear
The light and the angle impact the color that appears. From almost a solid blue to almost purple.

With all of the dirt and salt on the roads here mine is more of a brown right now.

Old 12-11-2006, 09:19 AM
Wesmonster
3rd Gear
I've got that...

...same color combo. As mentioned above, the cool blue paint looks different in real life versus pictures. Since MINI is one of the few convertibles available with different colored tops I was determined to go with something other than black, so blue was a no-brainer. The body colored dashboard was one of my favorite visual options, when the top is down it really ties the inside & outside together. Out of all the MINI cabrios I've seen, this is by far the most common color scheme I've seen (there's even another cool blue/blue top/blue full leather interior MINI that parks two blocks away from mine) so if you're looking for a unique combo, this isn't it. But I do think it's the best.

Old 12-11-2006, 09:55 AM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I've got a Cool Blue / Dark Blue / Blue Top MCSC as well, so if there's any particular shots/angles you'd like, I'd be happy to oblige.

I'm trying to darken up the interior a bit, so I went with the carbon fiber dash, downtubes, cupholder rings and shifter ring. I'm also thinking about re-doing the gauge trim rings in anthracite, and I've got a friend that wants to swap me his anthracite door pulls for my silver ones. I've already swapped out the big silver cupholder for an anthracite one, since it went better against the carbon fiber downtube.

I've also got the "Cocomats" floor mats in dark blue with natural (light tan) dots, if you'd like to see how those look.

And I'll vouch for the fact that the Cool Blue paint almost never looks like the same colour twice. Depending on time-of-day, lighting, etcetera, I've seen light grey, light blue, lavender, dark grey, or bright blue. If the light hits the pearlescent particles just right, there's even some gold in it.

Old 12-11-2006, 09:31 PM
Wessy
1st Gear
Thanks for the pic, Suji, and for the comments, y'all!

Wesmonster, I'd never heard that this very color combo was particularly common -- interesting. Since Cool Blue in general is such a popular color for topless MINIs, I really don't understand why there appears to be no Cool Blue Owners or Registry Thread. Unless, of course, I'm meant to buy a Cool Blue MINI and start it!

And Scott? Thanks so much for offering to take shots of your Cool Blue MCSC for me -- that's very kind of you! The one aspect I'd really like to see, if you're up for it, is a shot or shots that show the interior in daytime -- under bright natural light -- with the top down. Not only because what I most want to get a sense of is the color of the seats and carpet and door panels and dash together, but also because I'd love to see what you've done with yours -- the carbon fiber trim you've added sounds very cool!

Thanks again for the feedback, everybody.

Old 12-12-2006, 10:01 AM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Wessy,
Here are some various shots. You can tell it's winter here - it was only 12:30pm, and the sun was already well past overhead. You can see how the colour changes based on the angle and the lighting. All of these pictures were taken within about 5 minutes of each other, so the changes are mostly from the angle rather than the quality of the light.
Let me know if you'd like any other/larger pics.

Scott

Old 12-12-2006, 10:30 AM
Wessy
1st Gear
Oh, wow -- that really is a nice color combo! I like it a lot! And I love the carbon fiber accents!

Thank you so much for the pics, Scott!

Old 12-12-2006, 10:33 AM
ChrisW
6th Gear
Originally Posted by riquiscott
Wessy,
Here are some various shots. You can tell it's winter here - it was only 12:30pm, and the sun was already well past overhead. You can see how the colour changes based on the angle and the lighting. All of these pictures were taken within about 5 minutes of each other, so the changes are mostly from the angle rather than the quality of the light.
Let me know if you'd like any other/larger pics.

Scott

Wow you have one good looking car.

Old 12-12-2006, 10:43 AM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Wessy
Oh, wow -- that really is a nice color combo! I like it a lot! And I love the carbon fiber accents!

Thank you so much for the pics, Scott!
Thanks - one day when the light is better, I need to shoot some pictures with a "grey card", so that I can make sure the colours are calibrated better. The seats are actually more blue than they look in the picture, and the coco floormats are actually a little lighter than the carpet, but it's still a fairly good match.

All of the carbon fiber parts are JCW except for the exterior door handle "cup guards", and it's obvious in person that the JCW parts are much nicer - the company that makes the door guards kind of skimped on the clearcoat.

I'm gradually darkening the interior by replacing silver and chrome pieces with anthracite, and I may do something similar to the outside by replacing the chrome grille with the black aero grille, either with or without the rest of the aero package. I'd also like to black out the headlamp trim rings, but I don't know yet what's involved in taking them apart.

Regardless, thanks again for the compliments, guys.