R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 DSC BMW Curse

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007 | 04:33 AM
rc'S
|
5th Gear
DSC BMW Curse

I knew that DSC would get you if you try to pull out too fast from a stop. It's curse is even more than I thought. It did a number on me yesterday from a redline first to second shift. Did some second gear rubber and shut right down. I've heard some say that DSC is great in corners for getting you thru something you were a little to hot on. But it would seem to me that it can shut you down when you are trying to power out of a curve if you have some wheel spin. We've talked here about first gear problems, anyone experience 2nd gear problems and/or curve problems with DSC?

Old 03-06-2007 | 05:26 AM
rhawth99
6th Gear
I've had it shut down on me as I was shifting from first to second. I can reproduce it more often than not when making a 90 degree left hand turn from a dead stop and accelerating hard on a slight up hill stretch of road. This is the exit ramp set up that I encounter in my daily commute from work to home. I always turn off the DSC as I approach the stop sign to avoid this. If it is dry out, I now turn off the DSC until I get on the interstate.

Old 03-06-2007 | 05:40 AM
daflake
6th Gear
My DSC left me in traffic a few times. However, since MTH all is well.

Old 03-19-2007 | 05:59 PM
jody
2nd Gear
Start car turn it off.
I got in the habit.

So no problem for me. I do not want anyone or anything thinking for me

Old 03-20-2007 | 03:50 AM
rc'S
|
5th Gear
Originally Posted by jody
Start car turn it off.
I got in the habit.

So no problem for me. I do not want anyone or anything thinking for me
Probably a smart habit at that. I find myself doing that more often.

Old 03-20-2007 | 07:30 AM
eager2own
6th Gear
Start car turn it off.
I got in the habit.
You may want to consider the following:
http://www.gbmini.net/wp/auto-up_windows/

You can get the Track-mode DSC feature (and you get the auto-up windows!!).

Old 03-20-2007 | 10:37 AM
CarterMD
3rd Gear
It is not DSC what makes you stop accelerating, it is more the ASC+T system

ASC is a traction control system, preventing one wheel going fast than the other (saying it very easy). So when turning hard right with much power one wheel spins and the system stops it.

DSC is used in long corners, when you back tries to overtake you. It brakes in at your back first by taking away motorpower, later by putting on the brakes.

See, its more a ASC-problem you have...

Old 03-21-2007 | 06:42 AM
eager2own
6th Gear
It is not DSC what makes you stop accelerating, it is more the ASC+T system
Of course, the easiest way to troubleshoot this is: disengage the DSC, if you still have the same problem, it was the DSC . . . otherwise it's the ASC.

Old 03-21-2007 | 07:00 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Actually guys, DSC incorporates ASC. So, if you turn it off, the whole system is off. They are not seperate systems. So, it is DSC that throws the car into limp mode, it is just the ASC component of it.

MTH can raise the tolerance of DSC with a tune. I have it and it has done very well.

Old 04-23-2007 | 09:33 AM
Porco Rosso
2nd Gear
Maybe it's the difference the LSD makes, but I've never had DSC bog me down excessively. The most I've seen it do is typically a little nudge during aggressive cornering, or the one time it dug in pretty extremely on an uphill start in wet conditions on loose gravel. The latter was entirely justified given the conditions.

I tend to leave it on for everyday commute driving, but will turn it off for spirited weekend romps through the Hill Country or a track event.

Old 04-23-2007 | 09:40 AM
eVal
6th Gear
Are you on the runflats or other not very grippy tires? If your tires are not working all that well and losing traction it will be the catalyst for these issues- we have good sticky non RF tires and when they are warmed up I don't have DSC issues unless I am too abrupt on the throttle for the conditions and/or the ground is damp.

Old 04-23-2007 | 10:00 AM
defylogik
5th Gear
not sure if all minis are like this, but with the DSC off i can light up the tires from a 15mph roll without dumping the clutch, just mashing the gas at high rpms, and can continue to spin the tires up through half of 3rd gear. this is with 18s w/ 215/35 tires. with the dsc ON it will cut power and not spin at all, as well as kill the revs as soon as it chirps into 2nd. this is very bothersome for me when i need to make a uphill exit out of my street into blind oncoming traffic, as half the time it will bog the motor as i am trying to scoot out, potentially smashing my car.

Old 04-23-2007 | 10:51 AM
rc'S
|
5th Gear
Originally Posted by defylogik
not sure if all minis are like this, but with the DSC off i can light up the tires from a 15mph roll without dumping the clutch, just mashing the gas at high rpms, and can continue to spin the tires up through half of 3rd gear. this is with 18s w/ 215/35 tires. with the dsc ON it will cut power and not spin at all, as well as kill the revs as soon as it chirps into 2nd. this is very bothersome for me when i need to make a uphill exit out of my street into blind oncoming traffic, as half the time it will bog the motor as i am trying to scoot out, potentially smashing my car.
No LSD, but big time bog on a hard, tire squeeling, 1st to 2nd shift, not to mention throw you forward bog in low if tire spins. BTW, I am not into tire spinning, spinning tires equals less go.

Old 05-13-2007 | 05:07 PM
vintageb3
Neutral
I've only got ASC+T...and when I went from my 15" winter wheels back to my 18" JCW R95's ASC+T was kicking in on hard cornering to the point that I thought that the tyres where climbing over the side walls (impossible on a 205/45.)

It took me a day to figuire out what the hell was going on...so I thought i would try ASC+T off. Well!!!!...I through my MCSc into a corner and it gripped like hell and threw me out of the corner with full power as the car should!

I switch it off if I'm going for a fun ride or need to corner hard/get away fast...but leave it on when its raining or if soemone else is in the car with me.

I've driven for 25 years and I'm too old to let a car drive me...BUT...I do see its safety uses.

mark

Old 05-13-2007 | 05:14 PM
JPMM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by eVal
Are you on the runflats or other not very grippy tires? If your tires are not working all that well and losing traction it will be the catalyst for these issues- we have good sticky non RF tires and when they are warmed up I don't have DSC issues unless I am too abrupt on the throttle for the conditions and/or the ground is damp.
Exactly +1 Its all about the lack of traction