R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 New aftermarket wind screen

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 06:17 PM
oxtox
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Wabbit
oxtox, I guess you'll be the BRG Beta tester. I lost my job and got my mom to live with us instead. I think I ought to get the car just because of the other two, yanno??? But I'm still watching and waiting.
well i've taken the plunge. ev (and i to some degree) have come up with a variation on the sidewalk screen.....that i think may work better with the brg. will post pics soon

Old 04-17-2008, 08:39 AM
mikenaron
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EV, any new pictures of the rear windscreen? My kids are cutting into my top down time in the mini..

-Mike

Old 04-19-2008, 10:30 AM
brownflyer
Former Vendor
Hey Mike,

To answer your questions, No. Now that the weather has changed, orders for the regular windscreen are keeping me busy. You are at the top of the list along with a few others. Send me an email so we can discuss. I've been pondering some thoughts I would like to discuss with you.
Thanks,
Ev
everardoval@netzero.net

Old 04-20-2008, 12:01 PM
Roneboy
2nd Gear
brownflyer, I sent you an email about your screen. Thanks, Ron

Old 04-20-2008, 05:36 PM
Roneboy
2nd Gear
Ev, pm u. hope u got it. Ron

Old 04-22-2008, 07:22 PM
Roneboy
2nd Gear
Ev, sent you paypal payment. Thanks,Ron

Old 04-29-2008, 07:20 PM
SPF ZERO
4th Gear
Originally Posted by oxtox
well i've taken the plunge. ev (and i to some degree) have come up with a variation on the sidewalk screen.....that i think may work better with the brg. will post pics soon
Any more details on the variation?

Old 04-29-2008, 08:16 PM
oxtox
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SPF ZERO
Any more details on the variation?
just received todaya day earlier than expected...and promtly used on the way to my sons' baseball practice. i have to compliment ev on the quality of this ingeniously simple and lightweight contraption. it dramatically cuts down on the wind. i ordered just about every option since i'm 6'1" and my wife is 5'3". adjustability is awesome. took under a minute to install, and will be easy to store.

my sidewalk screen has more black trim than the previous sidewalk version. i wanted it to be more "invisible." i was temped to post pics.....but will not untill i can wash the mini!!!!! sorry, just want everything to look just right!

Old 04-30-2008, 07:12 PM
oxtox
6th Gear
sorry for the double post, but here it is! great job ev! (see a view from the front in the "welcome to th Sidewalk owners club" thread)

Old 05-05-2008, 02:00 PM
Roneboy
2nd Gear
Thanks Ev. Received my windscreen today. Looks and fits great. Nice job.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:23 AM
Banjo
2nd Gear
EV, Just recieved my windscreen today, and I dont even have my sidewalk yet!! Great customer service from a new vendor. Highly recommended

Old 05-18-2008, 01:12 PM
sshaynak
2nd Gear
Just wondering

I'm sorry if this is a day late and a dollar short, and for the crude nature of my "drawing", but as far as a rear screen is concerned, is it possible to have one piece of mesh go all the way from the gray plastic holder you made to the other side? Would this help with keeping it in place? Also, is there any benefit to having the screen go all the way to the bottom of the roll bar to the top of the seats in the back?

Attached Thumbnails New aftermarket wind screen-rearwindscreen.jpg  

Last edited by sshaynak; 05-18-2008 at 01:18 PM. Reason: pic
Old 05-20-2008, 10:25 PM
brownflyer
Former Vendor
sshaynak,
That's not a bad idea! I have to look a bit more into it and see if that would work. I just haven't had much time to work on the rear screen. As it is, I already have a very patient person waiting for over 4 months for the protype to start testing. I have not been able to get to it!!!

By doing a wrap around, it would cover all those openings around the back seat and could eliminate all the draft. It definitely needs a solid frame at least for the sides as the wind gets pretty strong and a piece of mesh with vinyl trim would not be be able to hold. Give me some time and I will look into it a bit more as well as finish the prototype.

But, please keep the ideas comming!

Old 05-21-2008, 04:25 AM
sshaynak
2nd Gear
I hope it isn't one of those "it's a good idea, but..." kind of ideas, and again I am sorry for the lovely drawing (who would have thought that with all the creative software that comes on a Mac, it doesn't include a basic art program).
It is obvious that you put a lot of time and attention into your products, so any wait would seem to be worth it - just glad there is somebody with more skills than I have who can turn the idea into something real.
Good luck, and I'll be interested in helping if I can.
Sean

Old 05-21-2008, 04:54 AM
sshaynak
2nd Gear
two thoughts (just had some coffee)
1) The angle on top of the rear seat belt holders apparently is there to help the roof fold during retraction, so a rear cover that could be left in place can't interfere with that area, and
2) your frame for the sides that you made is a great idea, but might work out better for a wrap-around design if it were a triangle coming out of your plastic holder that plugs in where the OEM windscreen does.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:45 AM
brownflyer
Former Vendor
The triangle idea was my first prototype but I had it extended further forward. That required drilling into the plastic (I had some negative comments on that). I later redesigned the triangle to mount to the OEM holes but the triangle was reduced considerably providing little coverage area. Although, I did not test the shorter triangle design for wind turbulance reduction. The square design that you see in the pics would provide for a large coverage area but as of now still untested.

I can see where the triangle wrap around design would work in that it works well for the stress points for the side screens.

And you're right that there would be no interference with the roof to open and close. There is a space of a few centimeters available when the top is opening and closing. More so above the seat belt straps.

Last edited by brownflyer; 05-21-2008 at 06:03 PM.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:00 PM
oxtox
6th Gear
interesting!

Old 05-28-2008, 05:25 PM
John's Baby
1st Gear
Just got my windscreen from EV, aka, brownflyer. It is better than expected. Very effectively cuts the wind, easy to install, materials are of higher quality than I thought they would be, and the price is more than half what I would have paid for "another" type. And to top it off, it looks great, looks like something the manufacturer would have made for the car. EV was so easy to work with and did everything he said he would. Highly recommend the product and the person...both are high quality and reliable. Thanks EV! John in San Jose

Old 05-31-2008, 05:34 AM
BTT
2nd Gear
BROWNFLYER,

do you make a custom color for an black panther interior leather? if so can you post a pic...interested in this product.

Old 05-31-2008, 09:18 AM
brownflyer
Former Vendor
Hi BTT,
The standard windscreen is Black vinyl (very good quality). For the Sidewalk, I use a malt brown (same quality as the black) but has bone white stitching. The all black can be stitched with different colors, red, yellow, grey/silver, light blue, orange. I'll add a couple of examples here.

Last edited by brownflyer; 05-31-2008 at 09:42 AM.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:45 PM
BTT
2nd Gear
thanx for the pics, as soon as i pick up my car in 3 weeks I'll see what color stitch will match....talk to you soon.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:38 AM
srmitch2
2nd Gear
EV, aka, brownflyer

Received the windscreen last week, enjoyed the week-end in the top-down condition on street, highway and interstate. Marvelous and effective, and has made speed runs much more enjoyable. Great design and wormanship, and very quick delivery. Now, if we could just get out of the monsoon season (usually top-down 1 to 2 days a week only)..

I also highly recommend the product.
-Steve in Iowa

Old 06-18-2008, 05:32 AM
BTT
2nd Gear
EV,

thanks for your return phone call, i must say i am impressed with your service...i cannot wait to see the final custom windscreen for my interior black panther leather that you are designing for me HOPEFULLY!!!

hope to talk to you soon!!

Old 06-18-2008, 05:57 AM
banjoez
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone have a real world comparison to the effectiveness of this windscreen vs the OEM screen? I have the OEM and it works great but it would be nice to have something that doesn't make the rear seats unusable.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:33 AM
brownflyer
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by banjoez
Anyone have a real world comparison to the effectiveness of this windscreen vs the OEM screen? I have the OEM and it works great but it would be nice to have something that doesn't make the rear seats unusable.
Yes, I do and I can tell you that my OEM windscreen has been sitting in its bag, in the garage, collecting dust for the better part of over 1 year and I'm not going back. I've even tried to sell it but so far no takers.

But I guess you could say that I'm a bit biased...

Quick Reply: R52 New aftermarket wind screen