R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 New aftermarket wind screen

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 10:45 AM
cooper8168
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brownflyer

But I guess you could say that I'm a bit biased...
And nobody would blame you.

My screen is as effective as I had hoped - nice work.

One thing - I'm planning to buy some Okoles. You did confirm there are no fitment issues with Okoles, right? I understand I might not be able to use the headrest cover along with yours, but that's not an issue at all to me. I'm mainly concerned about the J-hook points.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:09 AM
brownflyer
Former Vendor
Page 3, Post #65

Originally Posted by tigwantstoplay
I've had the windscreen for approximately 2 weeks now. Last weekend I drove from San Diego to Cambria, San Simeon, Big Sur, and Monterey. 1200 miles in 2 weeks has given me a substantial amount of time to assess the functionalilty of this new product. My complete review is provided below.

Ordering: I sent brownflyer a check on Monday, May 21. He received it Tuesday, May 22. My windscreen arrived on my doorstep on Thursday, May 24.

Fit/Finish: Very well made. Seams line up, color match is great, and the quality is visible.

Installation: Very easy to install. Fits nicely over the headrests (though it does not accomodate my Wet Okole headrest covers), and as long as the driver's seat and passenger's seat are closely aligned, the windscreen stretches perfectly between the seats and is aethetically pleasing. I received several compliments and inquiries from other cabrio owners in my car club.

Functionality: It definitely blocks airflow up through the passenger/driver armrest area, making for warmer and more enjoyable motoring. It worked almost as well as my OEM windscreen in deflecting airflow around my head (I have long hair).

My backseat passengers, on a 40 mile drive, said that they still felt windwhipped at freeway speeds but did notice a difference at city speeds and as we travelled through some mountain twisties. At least with this windscreen I was able to HAVE backseat passengers! These were also adult passengers, so there might be some advantage with shorter, smaller passengers (i.e., children). I can not confirm that.

The new windscreen also allowed me to take 2 suitcases and a duffle bag with me to Central California last weekend, something that would not have been possible with the OEM windscreen.

I tried something while driving the twisties in Big Sur last Saturday morning...I had both the new windscreen AND my OEM windscreen in place. I wanted to see if "more is better" since I already possess the OEM screen anyway. Yes, in this case, more is better. With both windscreens installed, wind in the cockpit is negligible...and my hair stayed relatively unscathed (i.e., I can drive top down to work now without worry - YAY). Granted, both solutions together are an expensive endeavor, but for those already in possession of an OEM windscreen - this is a nice addition, and I very rarely have backseat passengers. In fact, I had to "recruit" some folks to help me conduct the backseat portion of this review.

Suggestion for Improvement: I have already addressed this issue via PM to brownflyer, but to provide a fair review I will post it publically too. I did encounter one issue with the new windscreen. Much to my dismay, when I went to wash, wax, and detail my MINI, I found that after some top down driving on hot days, that the glue used to afix the velcro around the headrest had melted and caused a gooey mess on my seat. It took me approximately 1 hour with GooGone to clean up the areas where the glue had melted, smudged, and stuck to my seats. However, to his credit, brownflyer and his business partner are already addressing this issue and it won't be a problem in future releases of the product.

Overall Review: Excellent

Recommendation: Buy

This product is every bit as useful as the OEM windscreen, it is made of high quality materials, the workmanship is great, the customer service and responsiveness of the vendor is impressive, and the price is substantially less than OEM. And, for those already in possession of OEM windscreens...this new one can serve as the alternative that allows backseat passengers or high-profile cargo, as well as working in conjunction with the OEM windscreen to reduce airflow to the cockpit even more.

Way to go, brownflyer! You and your partner have produced a terrific product.

Feel free to post with questions you might have, or PM if you prefer. I will be happy to respond.

Wendy (Tig) in San Diego

Old 06-26-2008, 08:37 PM
speedyclyde
2nd Gear
I received my windscreen yesterday. It performed just as I would have expected. It looks great, and provided perfect relief from the wind. My first drive with it was about 60 miles on the freeway. There is just a slight breeze in the front area, which is better than the normal back blast! My wife and I went on a short drive, and on the freeway it looked like just a slight breeze blowing through her hair, and not the normal wind of a hurricane blowing from the back.

The installation was so simple, and just works! There is no engineering degree needed to put it on,

So thank you for an excellent product!

Old 07-16-2008, 10:19 AM
MichaelSF
5th Gear
Need to order this, but I am concerned about the glue residue the other member mentioned, that took her an hour to remove. Very concerned about that.

Has that issue been resolved? Realize that was a 2007 post, but did not see any follow-up by vendor that it's no longer an issue.

Old 07-16-2008, 03:28 PM
Sidewalk07
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MichaelSF
Need to order this, but I am concerned about the glue residue the other member mentioned, that took her an hour to remove. Very concerned about that.

Has that issue been resolved? Realize that was a 2007 post, but did not see any follow-up by vendor that it's no longer an issue.
MichaelSF

WE have had our wind screen since Sept 07. Have not had any problems. Did not see the post about a glue problem. I am sure EV would make good on any problem.
If you want to see our screen installed, click on the following link.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...&postcount=172

Old 07-16-2008, 09:42 PM
brownflyer
Former Vendor
Hi Michael,
See post #67.

No, the velcro with glue is no longer being used. As soon as Wendy informed me and I discovered the same issue, we eliminated that velcro.

The original units were designed with sticky velcro sewn in place. The new ones will have the normal velcro sewn in place....
The sticky velcro was eliminated as soon as Wendy (one of the original testers) notified me. Has not been used since.

Old 07-20-2008, 12:16 PM
schwabhaus
Neutral
Windscreen is GREAT

Received my windscreen this week. It works as advertized, looks great even on my cloth seats, and obviously shows excellent workmanship. Personally, I never minded the wind blast, but my wife's hair did. She would dress like a nun to keep the hair from slapping her face. I either had to get something to block the wind or get a new wife with short hair. This did the trick and was certainly cheeper than a new wife.

Old 07-28-2008, 05:40 PM
GUAGS99
Neutral
I love the wind up front on my 2005 MCS, but the wind in the back is a bit much for the kids....This can sometimes limit my trips with the top down. Have you made any progress recently on the back seat system? I'm willing to be a Beta tester (or would this be Alpha?) if you need one...But the season in the Chicago area only has a couple months left. Let me know!

Old 07-29-2008, 10:26 AM
brownflyer
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by GUAGS99
I love the wind up front on my 2005 MCS, but the wind in the back is a bit much for the kids....This can sometimes limit my trips with the top down. Have you made any progress recently on the back seat system? I'm willing to be a Beta tester (or would this be Alpha?) if you need one...But the season in the Chicago area only has a couple months left. Let me know!
Ah, yes! the back seat windscreen. I forgot about that... I do have to apologize to the people that have been patiently awaiting this product. In particular to one person out there, no names mentioned (Mike).

In all honesty, I have not had much time to work on it. The front windscreens have kept me pretty busy with not much time for anything else. The prototype is about 90% complete and just don't seem to find time to complete it.

It is one of those must do projects that never seems to get done... So, as soon as it is complete I will post it here.

Old 08-04-2008, 05:12 PM
LIWexler
1st Gear
Worth EVERY Penny!

I just received and installed my windscreen late last week. Here are my impressions/experiences:

Installation – Easier then expected. Ev, there are some toy manufacturers that I wish you wrote the directions for. If you can follow “LEGO” directions, installing the windscreen will be no problem.

Fit and Finish – Screen looks great. I even had to explain to my nine year old how it fit over the existing headrests. Fit was so good, he did not realize it was the windscreen cover not the original headrest. Straps fit and were easy to adjust. Screen fit smoothly and well with enough play to still allow use of the rear cup holder.

Effect – We estimate about a 75% reduction in wind buffeting in the front seat. Put the windows up (yuck!) and that obviously increases. For rear passengers, my 4’9” son reported about a 50% decrease in wind buffeting. Unlike the front passengers, he reported the effect to decrease at highway speeds, although he says the windscreen makes riding MUCH more tolerable at highway speeds (especially with the rear windows up). My 5’7” wife tried the back seat and also found about a 50% decrease of buffeting during street driving. On the highway, she reported her ears felt like they were in the “turbulence zone”, but the effect was still much better then without the windscreen. She still wouldn’t want to take a multiple hour trip in the back seat, but the windscreen made her 30-45 minutes comfortable. All and all we were VERY satisfied, and I estimate (the weather was far too perfect this weekend to give it a true test) the screen will allow us to go topless in temperatures much colder then what we could without the windscreen. Anything we can do to lengthen the “top down” season in Wisconsin is a plus.

Side Effects – I noticed two distinct side effects. One I was ready for the other I wasn’t. First, the windscreen makes it a little more difficult to check the blind spot over your right shoulder. You will be looking through the windscreen instead of between the headrests. Visibility through the windscreen is fine, but it takes a little getting used to. Especially if the sun is low directly in front or behind you. Second, I noticed a different feeling when entering or exiting the wake turbulence behind a large vehicle or semi. The feeling isn’t better or worse then without the windscreen, but be prepared to notice the pressure differences more once you put the windscreen on. Look at it this way: If you are an aspiring NASCAR driver, this effect will help you “see the wind” behind the truck you are drafting

My final observation is about rear seat access. Although the straps allow for fairly easy rear seat access, it still takes time/effort to un-zip, move seat, re-zip and reposition the seat. We found it much easier just to give our son a boost over the side of the car. He thinks he is playing the jump game on Mini website, and I am OK with this method until he hits his next growth spurt.

Finally, I can’t reiterate what a good purchase this was, especially for my co-driver. Anyone who has a spouse, significant other, or kid that has complained while you had that ear-to-ear convertible grin needs this windscreen.

Ev, you have a great product, and we can barely wait to try the rear windscreen once you develop it.

Thanks,

Larry

Old 08-06-2008, 06:20 AM
hangmanjt
1st Gear
I'll second every word Larry said about the quality of this product. I have yet to experience the back seat conditions but up front it was an amazing improvement. Thanks Ev.

Justin

Old 08-06-2008, 08:59 AM
brownflyer
Former Vendor
Wow! Thanks Larry for such a complete review.

I'm very interested with rear seat turbulance testing you did. I've been using my kids as testers but ofcourse the feedback has been limited from them. They are able to handle more top down time at hwy speeds than w/o the windscreen. So, I was aware of a small reduction in turbulance but was not able to really quantify it. I did notice that the "turbulance zone" gets moved from the middle of the front seats to the rear seat (although reduced as you stated).

One of these days I'll finish the rear one!

Thanks everyone,

BTW Justin, I love the red stitching on yours. It really stands out nicely!!

Old 08-06-2008, 09:35 AM
LIWexler
1st Gear
NP... I won't have any problems convincing my son that Mom needs to sit in back for windscreen testing while he is riding shotgun. I will just have to convince him he can't do the shifting all the time We will try to get you some more adult observations and post them here.

My wife has very pressure sensitive ears so she is a good gage. She really seemed to be sensing the low pressure in the wake turbulence of the screen, and claimed it was less irratating then the buffeting without the screen.

Thanks for letting me use the excuse "it's all for science" for driving the convertible more!

Larry

Old 08-06-2008, 10:05 AM
hangmanjt
1st Gear
Ev, That red stitching really stands out well against my car's interior with the red panels. I was a bit worried and almost told you to change it to just solid black, but after seeing it I'm so glad that I didn't

Old 08-07-2008, 08:22 PM
BigGuy25
2nd Gear
I've had mine for over a year and absolutely love it!!!!!

Old 08-30-2008, 12:49 PM
Mnifold
Neutral
Just found this thread, Ev, are you going to...

Hi Ev! I am truly excited to get one, right now. Are you still making these wind screens? I also have a PW cabrio with the sidewalk package... and LOVE the pics everyone's posted of theirs with your windscreen!!

Ok, here's the main question... damn - wish I had found this thread at least a week or two ago, because I'm leaving Tuesday evening (Sept 2nd) from Flint, MI, driving to the MMMT event in San Francisco... this sure would've been extremely fabulous to have in time for that drive... ok, my question is, do you happen to be attending this event in San Fran next weekend? If so, can I order one of your windscreens to be picked up there?

Old 08-30-2008, 01:20 PM
MichaelSF
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Mnifold
Hi Ev! I am truly excited to get one, right now. Are you still making these wind screens? I also have a PW cabrio with the sidewalk package... and LOVE the pics everyone's posted of theirs with your windscreen!!

Ok, here's the main question... damn - wish I had found this thread at least a week or two ago, because I'm leaving Tuesday evening (Sept 2nd) from Flint, MI, driving to the MMMT event in San Francisco... this sure would've been extremely fabulous to have in time for that drive... ok, my question is, do you happen to be attending this event in San Fran next weekend? If so, can I order one of your windscreens to be picked up there?
You should e-mail Ev directly and see if he can throw one into his car to take to San Francisco, if he is going. I think it is an issue of making one. When he sent me the wrong one [meant for sport seats] he told me that he would rush on getting me the correct one, but he had two other orders.

So this leads me to believe that he does not have any in stock, he makes them to order. But he may have enough time to get one made in time for San Francisco next week.

I'll PM you his e-mail address.

Old 08-30-2008, 02:41 PM
Mnifold
Neutral
Taken care of

Thanks Michael! When I received your pm, I had already just gotten off the phone with Ev... He's got the hookup for me since someone just-so-happened to cancel their order for a sidewalk package screen, so he already has one started. I'll be picking up my screen on the way up to San Francisco. Yay! If there's any free time, I'll post photos from the event.

Thanks again Ev, for working me into your schedule (and calling me back so quick!)

Old 08-31-2008, 07:37 PM
blu jcw
1st Gear
Please, please get that rear seat prototype working. The kids are killing me with the top up! The 1st prototype, did it help at all?

Old 09-01-2008, 09:35 AM
brownflyer
Former Vendor
Hi Jen,
You're welcome. At least you'll have it for the drive back to MI! Are you driving through my neck of the woods (HWY 80, through Sacramento - S.F.)?

Hi Michael,
Your windscreen is ready and will ship this Tuesday. You should have it within a day or two. I'll send you an email about the details. Sorry about the confusion.

Blu jcw,
I'm trying to free up some time to work on the rear one, and it doesn't help the fact that my Mini has been in the shop for over 3 weeks now! So, there is no way of test fitting anything. I was hoping to get it back this week for MMMT but it doesn't look like it.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:55 AM
BTT
2nd Gear
any word on my custom design windscreen..email me

Old 09-02-2008, 03:57 PM
brownflyer
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by BTT
any word on my custom design windscreen..email me
Is that you Frank? I wondered who that Mini belonged to! Great looking Cab!!
Did you get all the CF work done?

I sent you an email about 2 weeks ago about the issues with locating the thread. Did you get it? I'll send you another email later.

Thanks,
Ev

Old 09-02-2008, 06:35 PM
BTT
2nd Gear
Is that you Frank? I wondered who that Mini belonged to! Great looking Cab!!
Did you get all the CF work done?

I sent you an email about 2 weeks ago about the issues with locating the thread. Did you get it? I'll send you another email later.

Thanks,
Ev

yup it's me yes i got your email, just wondering if you found anything yet.

Thanks for your comments on my car., i did not go with the full package of carbon, i'm only adding my dash, downtubes, side door panels, that's it.

call me on my cell tomorrow we will discuss.

check pm for cell #

Old 11-04-2008, 02:44 AM
BobDogNdaHouse
1st Gear
Has anyone noticed any improved MPG with either the custom or OEM wind screens. It probably wouldn't make a noticeable difference but I was just curious, especially with the OEM one covering the back seat. It looks like it might get better aerodynamics.

Old 11-04-2008, 02:51 PM
blue lightning
3rd Gear
Now that it is cooler here, I use the OEM wind screen all the time, I haven't noticed any improvement in MPG. It does work great and am glad that I got it.

Quick Reply: R52 New aftermarket wind screen