R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 New aftermarket wind screen

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 02:11 PM
brownflyer
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Intense
Would this material come in different colors to match peoples interiors?
I noticed in your pictures that the material is blue.
My interior is black and that is the color that I would want

Just a question

Thanks
Intense, Yes. You could choose any color as long as you choose 'Black'.

All joking aside. No, the only color available will be black. I have the dark blue interior and that's why it looks 'blueish'.

Old 05-04-2007, 03:57 PM
Intense
252whp 200trq RMW style
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Awesome!

Thanks Brownflyer

Oh and..... get me ONE!!

Seriously, looks cool

Old 05-05-2007, 09:57 AM
rocketdays
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by brownflyer
Just a quick update. I had a conversation with Carlos yesterday and he will be working on the 3 new prototypes this weekend. They should be ready early next week. There will be some nice changes made to it.
That sounds great! I took delivery of my Cabrio yesterday. I'm getting in plenty of windscreen-free driving time this weekend before I start testing the prototype. Can't wait...

Old 05-07-2007, 09:28 AM
brownflyer
Former Vendor
I wanted to update everyone on progress of the new wind screen. Yesterday, Sunday, I met with Carlos to test fit the new wind screen and I must say the fit and finish is first class. Here are some of the changes we've made and as soon as he gives me the first one, I'll post pics of it.

We changed material not only for the mesh but also for the vinyl. We went with a high end soft vinyl wich looks like leather but feels like "silk" .

The rear (back piece) was exteded an additional 3" to cover further down the back of the seats. This meas 'one size fits all'.

As Intense suggested - All his parts will be fitting nice and snug. Some adjustements were made to the head rest pieces for better fitment.

And, we've added a zipper on the passanger side head rest. Now, access/egress will be as easy as undoing the zipper and reclining the seat.

I'm very excited about this. I was with a friend when I met with Carlos and he was impressed with the wind screen.

Pricing: The regular price of the screen will be $195 but NAM members will get a discount, so price will be $170.

Carlos asked me to get an interest list going. His business keeps him busy and wants to make sure he plans accordingly. I've already received several PMs from interested members and will be posting the list here. If anyone is interested, please PM me or email me so I can include you on the list.

Thanks, and feel free to ask any questions.
Everardo

Old 05-07-2007, 09:37 AM
Jeremy1026
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I wanted to update everyone on progress of the new wind screen. Yesterday, Sunday, I met with Carlos to test fit the new wind screen and I must say the fit and finish is first class. Here are some of the changes we've made and as soon as he gives me the first one, I'll post pics of it.

We changed material not only for the mesh but also for the vinyl. We went with a high end soft vinyl wich looks like leather but feels like "silk" .

The rear (back piece) was exteded an additional 3" to cover further down the back of the seats. This meas 'one size fits all'.

As Intense suggested - All his parts will be fitting nice and snug. Some adjustements were made to the head rest pieces for better fitment.

And, we've added a zipper on the passanger side head rest. Now, access/egress will be as easy as undoing the zipper and reclining the seat.

I'm very excited about this. I was with a friend when I met with Carlos and he was impressed with the wind screen.

Pricing: The regular price of the screen will be $195 but NAM members will get a discount, so price will be $170.

Carlos asked me to get an interest list going. His business keeps him busy and wants to make sure he plans accordingly. I've already received several PMs from interested members and will be posting the list here. If anyone is interested, please PM me or email me so I can include you on the list.

Thanks, and feel free to ask any questions.
Everardo
Wouldn't this be against the site guidlines of selling items and not being a vendor?

Old 05-07-2007, 09:39 AM
brownflyer
Former Vendor
Good question. I need to find out about this as I'm not familiar with this.

Old 05-07-2007, 10:04 AM
Drsms22
5th Gear
I'm interested. Keep me in the loop.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:08 AM
rc'S
5th Gear
To change your thread a little, I like the rear spoiler, close to what I was thinking would look good on a Cabrio. And it does look good! Did you try it just a hair lower so it didn't block the 3rd light? How attached.

Old 05-08-2007, 09:01 AM
brownflyer
Former Vendor
Thanks rc'S, yes I did try lowering a bit but then the corner pieces got in the way of the side lights (for removal purposes). I tried other configurations of the corner piece but none looked as good as the ones I ended up with. They just follow the trim line nicely. I'm currently working on a center section that will incorporate the third brake light. As for attachement, each piece requires two holes to be drilled (breath deeply) on the Mini. I suppose automotive tape could be used as the pieces are very light weight but didn't want to take the chance of going down the freeway and there 'goes all my hard work'.

Sorry, back on topic....

Last edited by brownflyer; 05-18-2007 at 10:58 PM.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:47 AM
rc'S
5th Gear
Way cool, thanks for the info.

Old 05-08-2007, 10:45 AM
spindrome
1st Gear
sign me up too! tester here in the bay area...

GO WARRIORS!

Old 05-10-2007, 01:32 PM
brownflyer
Former Vendor
'Hair in my Face' part two...

Hey everyone, here are the latest pics of the final product. I'm very happy with the finished product and can't wait to have some testers come back with reviews.

I've been in contact with all three testers and everything is in place and ready to roll.

Please don't worry about the blue tape. It just to protect the mesh material from the velcro.

Close up of the mesh.

On the car. The head rest pieces fit very nice and snug.

Access to the rear seat with the zipper undone. Ooops! That sounds kind of sexual...

Let me know your comments.
Thanks,
Everardo

Old 05-10-2007, 01:41 PM
brownflyer
Former Vendor
Forgot to mention, Carlos suggested the following options for more of a customized look.

Stitching can be done in different colors to match the color of your car.

Vinyl color can be a different color as well.

These options, ofcourse, would add to the price of the wind screen.

I'm going to have mine done in Orange stitching to complement the seats.

What do you think?

I'm thinking of putting one of these on Ebay to see how it does.

p.s. If anybody wants one before reviews, let me know and I can have Carlos start working on a few more. I'm almost finish with the interest list and will post as soon as complete.

Old 05-10-2007, 01:56 PM
Intense
252whp 200trq RMW style
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a comment...........

Can I have one now?????

For real, it looks great!

Make mine all in black please

Old 05-10-2007, 01:56 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
That looks REALLY good. I like the way you worked out the detachment at the headrest. I also like the concept of contrasting stitching, etc. I have the dark blue leather with orange like the car in the photos- would love the headrest color to be close to the seat color...

I'm eagerly awaiting an understanding of how these impact back seat ride-ability - good, bad or no difference. If this (perhaps plus something else for the rear seats) would improve rear seat comfort (especially for kids) I would seriously consider it as an alternative to my existing wind deflector...

Old 05-10-2007, 03:21 PM
kwk Mini
2nd Gear
Forgot to mention, Carlos suggested the following options for more of a customized look.

Stitching can be done in different colors to match the color of your car.

Vinyl color can be a different color as well.

These options, ofcourse, would add to the price of the wind screen.

I'm going to have mine done in Orange stitching to complement the seats.

What do you think?

What do you think the price would be for colored stitching?

Vinyl ?

Color choices?

I have Wet Okales seat covers are the head rests a little stretchy? So that the mesh can fit over the head rest cover?

I too am interested. I have CR

Old 05-10-2007, 03:22 PM
tigwantstoplay
6th Gear
Originally Posted by kwk Mini
I have Wet Okales seat covers are the head rests a little stretchy? So that the mesh can fit over the head rest cover?
Ditto that concern. I'm going to give it a try though, as a "tester".

Old 05-10-2007, 04:37 PM
brownflyer
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by kwk Mini
What do you think the price would be for colored stitching?

Vinyl ?

Color choices?

I too am interested. I have CR
Color stitching would add $15 more. As for vinyl, I would have to check pricing and colors available. Not sure on that figure.

The fabric does stretch somewhat and you should be able to fit it over the Okales. My only concern is the lower velcro that secures the head piece is snug and you might have to coerce it a bit. I'm sure Carlos can loosen it a bit but we couln't assure proper fit as I don't have anything to test on.

Old 05-10-2007, 04:47 PM
brownflyer
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by BlimeyCabrio
...I'm eagerly awaiting an understanding of how these impact back seat ride-ability - good, bad or no difference. If this (perhaps plus something else for the rear seats) would improve rear seat comfort (especially for kids) I would seriously consider it as an alternative to my existing wind deflector...
Blimey, I will be doing some testing on that and I should have the prototype of the rear ready in about a month. I have noticed, since using the original prototype for the front seats, for the back seats the wind comes in from the sides and that's an area which the wind screen will address.

Old 05-10-2007, 05:26 PM
CeliaMarie
2nd Gear
Count me in for one. Black is fine!

Old 05-14-2007, 04:57 PM
jody
2nd Gear
Count me in the interested group!

Old 05-18-2007, 02:55 PM
brownflyer
Former Vendor
I just got a windscreen made with the orange stitching and wanted to show how it looks. It really goes well with the interior of the car and I got lucky the color matches perfectly.

Also, we should get some reviews next week as the tester should be getting their windscreens in the following days.

Old 05-18-2007, 03:01 PM
Annewithane
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That looks really professional. It would be nice to have a functional backseat and the functionality of a wind deflector.

I can't wait to hear the test results and how it compares to the current factory deflector!

Old 05-18-2007, 05:16 PM
MINIBee
6th Gear
I just got a windscreen made with the orange stitching and wanted to show how it looks. It really goes well with the interior of the car and I got lucky the color matches perfectly.

Also, we should get some reviews next week as the tester should be getting their windscreens in the following days.

Wow, that looks really nice. Now I'm going to wish I waited for the next generation. I was thinking that making the headrest covers solid (instead of net) would also give you the chance to put a logo (maybe the MINI wings) on the headrest.

Last edited by MINIBee; 05-18-2007 at 08:59 PM.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:25 PM
jack07734
4th Gear
I see in the pictures that the headrests are all the way down.

How well will your design work with the headrests up or at different heights?

Cheers,
Jack

Quick Reply: R52 New aftermarket wind screen