R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 New aftermarket wind screen

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 10:56 PM
brownflyer
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mini Bee, I thought about that, using a solid material to embroider on it. Depending on how well it goes over with other Mini owner, it might become an option. But, this is something that would have to be outsourced.

Jack07734, the headrest pieces use a velcro that attaches under the Mini headrest so height position is not a problem. You can see this in Pic #1 of the new prototype (blue tape). That might give you a better idea. However, there is an elastic that attaches to the bottom of the seat (small elastic band on the same pic). This elastic will only stretch so far so this could limit the amount of height adjustment on the headrest. This would be a simple fix for somebody that requires additional adjustment. As a matter of fact, I'll pass this info along to Carlos.

Does anyone else here have the headrest set at a different height? and if so, how much higher? Is it worth making this change or only on those that ask for it?

I really appreciate your input so far on this project as I truly believe everyone will benefit in the long run.

Thanks,
Everardo

Old 05-18-2007, 11:12 PM
brownflyer
Former Vendor
I've also been doing some research on the fit with the Wet Okoles. So far from what I can tell, they should fit.

1) I've been testing the stretch properties of the materials and they have enough stretch to go over another skin.
2) My real concern was the attachement point on the side of the seat (see pic#6 original post), but looking at their web site and the pic of a Mini seat, that area is not completely covered up. You might just have to lift the material enough to attach the J hook.

http://www.wetokole.com/minispecf.html

One of the testers has the Wet Okales. So, I guess it's just wait and see.

Old 05-19-2007, 10:26 AM
Nimrod
1st Gear
Aloha!

I am VERY interested in the wind blocker too. Regarding the headrest height, I always have mine up as far as possible - I'm tall and I like the look of the elevated headrests.

Hopefully, the blocker can be adjusted for this! Keep up the good work and please post the test results ASAP.

Old 05-21-2007, 02:10 PM
katesmini
3rd Gear
I just got my great new windscreen. I haven't driven anywhere with it yet, but I did install it. Very easy. I have Wet Okoles and I ended up taking off the headrest covers. The windscreen covers fit even better than the Wet Okole covers do. I couldn't get the windscreen covers over the Wet Okoles because it's such a perfect fit to the headrest. The black of the windscreen is almost a perfect match to the black of the Wet Okoles. The side attachment points aren't a problem at all, they fit right under the edge of the covers. It looks great so far, fits with the car, almost looks more like it belongs than the factory one I have! The passenger headrest unzips from the windscreen itself, quite easily too. That will be handy for loading and unloading our 90 lb dog (the main reason I'm so excited about this new windscreen!) I'll be taking the wind screen out for a test drive a little later tonight, I'll let you all know what I think!

Old 05-21-2007, 05:29 PM
katesmini
3rd Gear
Alright, we took the new windscreen out for a spin. Any excuse to go motoring! At low speeds there was definitely no wind coming from between the seats. On the freeway it was very effective in blocking out air. I had a napkin on the floor of the passenger seat and it stayed right where it was. I'd say anytime I have a free piece of paper that stays where it is, the wind screen is doing it's job! So far the only thing I would change is maybe to make both headrests zippable and that way if you wanted to take the windscreen out you could just unzip and unclip and not have to remove the covers. Other than that I'm thrilled and definitely think it's worth the price. I'll have more feedback next week as we begin our cross country drive from Columbus to Portland, OR!

Old 05-21-2007, 06:24 PM
brownflyer
Former Vendor
Thanks for the feedback, Kate. And keep us posted on your trip.

As for the double zipper, very good point, I had a conversation with Carlos over the weekend and he pointed that out. It can be done but I'm trying to keep the price as affordable as possible and that would add to the cost of production. Not because of the materials, zippers wouldn't be that expensive, it would be more labor involved.

Thanks for the feedback and have a safe trip.

Old 05-22-2007, 12:20 AM
Wabbit
1st Gear
Are you going to have the colors available to match the Sidewalk? CoopahS is a hardtop but the second MINI in the driveway is fixing to be a Cabrio!

Marilyn in Peoria, AZ - the hot place, the really hot place!

Old 05-31-2007, 06:48 PM
MINIBee
6th Gear
OK, after a week of testing with the windscreen prototpe, this is what I have to report:

Pros

1) It's extremely well-made and the fit and finish is outstanding.
2) It blocks wind in the front seat as well or maybe better than the OEM windscreen
3) It's very easy to install and remove
4) If you need to remove and store it, it's very compact and can be stored in the boot without a case
5) You can use it and still have back-seat passengers, and when it's installed you can still move the seats to let passengers in

Cons

1) My back-seat passengers reported that at highway speeds the wind was much worse with the windscreen installed than with no windscreen at all. At city speeds they said it was about the same.
2) With the area between the front seats blocked, you have no access to the back seat area. This was particularly a problem when we wanted to pass something from the front to a back-seat passenger.
3) If the two front seats are not positioned in the same general way, the windscreen ends up twisted and does not look right. Aside from the aesthetics, however, this did not seem to change the functionality.

Old 05-31-2007, 10:30 PM
brownflyer
Former Vendor
Mini_Bee, thank you for the review. You made good points.

We are planning some minor modification for the next run. But I'll wait for more reviews to come in before commenting.

Wabbit - the interior on the Sidewalk is absolutely georgeous!!! And it would also be very diffucult to match. So for now, we'll be sticking to black but different color stitching can be done.

Last edited by brownflyer; 05-31-2007 at 10:33 PM.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:15 PM
brownflyer
Former Vendor
Wuh Hoo!!!!! We're up again....

Ok after a short stay in the electronic netherworld, the thread is back from the dead (or should I say 'delete' key). However, notice I'm now a "vendor". So, ya'll have to treat me with respect or is it the other way around.

Seriously, I believe this to be an excellent product and once all the bugs are worked out, this windscreen could be a very good alternative to the OEM.

So, testers please give us your findings...

Old 06-05-2007, 05:41 PM
katesmini
3rd Gear
OK, after driving cross country from Columbus, Ohio to Portland, Oregon with the windscreen, I'm in love! This is definitely a far better value than the one you can buy from MINI. It is FAR less expensive and it doesn't completely put the back seat out of use. I was able to put a suitcase and our 90 lb dog in the back seat and still get the benefits of the windscreen. When I didn't want the windscreen up I would just unhook the zipper on the passenger side and let it hang down next to the seats. It took a lot less effort and time than removing and folding the OEM one. I'd buy it again in a second. Thanks Ev!

Old 06-06-2007, 04:27 AM
CeliaMarie
2nd Gear
How do we order one... or are you still looking for product testers?
I drive about 50 miles/day highway and local.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:39 AM
Intense
252whp 200trq RMW style
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Grats on Vendor status Ev!

I'm very very excited to get mine and I'll be sure to let you know what I think of it!

Old 06-06-2007, 09:50 AM
brownflyer
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by CeliaMarie
How do we order one... or are you still looking for product testers?
Well, Ask and you shall receive!! (for a small fee ofcourse).
Very easy, PM me with your name, shipping address and email. I can send you an invoice via paypal if you prefer or you can pay by check or money order.

You can also send me a direct email at brownflyer2000@hotmail.com or call me at 707-330-5823

The windscreen takes about a week to make, if none are in the works.
The price will stay at $185 for NAM members. If you want color stitching that would add $15 more.

Thanks,
Everardo
707-330-5823

Last edited by brownflyer; 05-22-2009 at 09:02 AM.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:55 AM
tigwantstoplay
6th Gear
San Diego Tester - Reporting In

I've had the windscreen for approximately 2 weeks now. Last weekend I drove from San Diego to Cambria, San Simeon, Big Sur, and Monterey. 1200 miles in 2 weeks has given me a substantial amount of time to assess the functionalilty of this new product. My complete review is provided below.

Ordering: I sent brownflyer a check on Monday, May 21. He received it Tuesday, May 22. My windscreen arrived on my doorstep on Thursday, May 24.

Fit/Finish: Very well made. Seams line up, color match is great, and the quality is visible.

Installation: Very easy to install. Fits nicely over the headrests (though it does not accomodate my Wet Okole headrest covers), and as long as the driver's seat and passenger's seat are closely aligned, the windscreen stretches perfectly between the seats and is aethetically pleasing. I received several compliments and inquiries from other cabrio owners in my car club.

Functionality: It definitely blocks airflow up through the passenger/driver armrest area, making for warmer and more enjoyable motoring. It worked almost as well as my OEM windscreen in deflecting airflow around my head (I have long hair).

My backseat passengers, on a 40 mile drive, said that they still felt windwhipped at freeway speeds but did notice a difference at city speeds and as we travelled through some mountain twisties. At least with this windscreen I was able to HAVE backseat passengers! These were also adult passengers, so there might be some advantage with shorter, smaller passengers (i.e., children). I can not confirm that.

The new windscreen also allowed me to take 2 suitcases and a duffle bag with me to Central California last weekend, something that would not have been possible with the OEM windscreen.

I tried something while driving the twisties in Big Sur last Saturday morning...I had both the new windscreen AND my OEM windscreen in place. I wanted to see if "more is better" since I already possess the OEM screen anyway. Yes, in this case, more is better. With both windscreens installed, wind in the cockpit is negligible...and my hair stayed relatively unscathed (i.e., I can drive top down to work now without worry - YAY). Granted, both solutions together are an expensive endeavor, but for those already in possession of an OEM windscreen - this is a nice addition, and I very rarely have backseat passengers. In fact, I had to "recruit" some folks to help me conduct the backseat portion of this review.

Suggestion for Improvement: I have already addressed this issue via PM to brownflyer, but to provide a fair review I will post it publically too. I did encounter one issue with the new windscreen. Much to my dismay, when I went to wash, wax, and detail my MINI, I found that after some top down driving on hot days, that the glue used to afix the velcro around the headrest had melted and caused a gooey mess on my seat. It took me approximately 1 hour with GooGone to clean up the areas where the glue had melted, smudged, and stuck to my seats. However, to his credit, brownflyer and his business partner are already addressing this issue and it won't be a problem in future releases of the product.

Overall Review: Excellent

Recommendation: Buy

This product is every bit as useful as the OEM windscreen, it is made of high quality materials, the workmanship is great, the customer service and responsiveness of the vendor is impressive, and the price is substantially less than OEM. And, for those already in possession of OEM windscreens...this new one can serve as the alternative that allows backseat passengers or high-profile cargo, as well as working in conjunction with the OEM windscreen to reduce airflow to the cockpit even more.

Way to go, brownflyer! You and your partner have produced a terrific product.

Feel free to post with questions you might have, or PM if you prefer. I will be happy to respond.

Wendy (Tig) in San Diego

Old 06-06-2007, 12:49 PM
Intense
252whp 200trq RMW style
Is your manufacturer still using velcro with glue Ev? Can't normal velcro be sewn into the product?

Just curious

Old 06-06-2007, 01:40 PM
brownflyer
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Intense
Is your manufacturer still using velcro with glue Ev?
No, the velcro with glue is no longer being used. As soon as Wendy informed me and I discovered the same issue, we eliminated that velcro.

The original units were designed with sticky velcro sewn in place. The new ones will have the normal velcro sewn in place.

Other changes:

the zipper will be changed to one that eliminates some of the wrippling effect. One of our testers noticed this and I'm sure she'll be posting on this. The functionality was not affected. It was mostly cosmetic.

Two of the retaining clips will have adjusters for those that like to have the headrest in a higher position.

By the way - Wendy was not bribed for that detailed review. Thanks-

Old 06-06-2007, 02:15 PM
Intense
252whp 200trq RMW style
Which model will I be receiving?

One with the new velcro and zipper? Or have you just made the change to the velcro as of now

Thanks Ev!

Old 06-06-2007, 02:57 PM
brownflyer
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Intense
Which model will I be receiving?

One with the new velcro and zipper? Or have you just made the change to the velcro as of now

Thanks Ev!
You'll be getting the latest and greatest, new velcro,zipper and adjustments.

You're welcome Rob.

Old 06-06-2007, 04:21 PM
Intense
252whp 200trq RMW style
I love you man! .......in that brotherly kinda way...um, nevermind

Thanks!

Old 06-06-2007, 07:23 PM
Nimrod
1st Gear
Aloha,

Will the modified retainer clips allow both headrests to be in the highest position?

Thanks!

Old 06-06-2007, 10:39 PM
brownflyer
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Nimrod
Aloha,

Will the modified retainer clips allow both headrests to be in the highest position?

Thanks!
Hey Nimrod,
Yes they will be adjustable so that you can raise your headrest all the way up and the elastics can be adjusted to compensate.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:57 AM
Insomniac
1st Gear
Just wanted to jump on the bandwagon and say that these really do look awesome! I will definitely be ordering one soon. Don't have my MINI yet, and want to enjoy some "stock" time with it before going mod-crazy!

Old 06-07-2007, 03:20 AM
davavd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you need any more testers, I drive top down about 50 miles /day whenever its not raining. Otherwise, I'll be interested when they are available.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:48 AM
brownflyer
Former Vendor
Insomniac - I believe the windscreen (regardless of the OEM or this one) is the one single option/mod that will really allow you to enjoy top down motoring experience. There are other threads about this topic.

Davavd - They are available for ordering. All the new ones will have the new changes to them.

Last edited by brownflyer; 06-07-2007 at 11:54 PM.

Quick Reply: R52 New aftermarket wind screen