R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 New aftermarket wind screen

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 08:42 PM
Lazy S
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket Windscreen

I just took delivery of and installed a "brownflyer" windscreen on my '07 MCS Cabrio. It looks as good or better than OEM, and it fit like a glove. Super-easy to install! It even leaves the rear seat open for passengers (as if). Fine workmanship at a fair price, and fast delivery. I strongly recommend the "brownflyer" windscreen to all my fellow Cabrio Cowboys out there. Many thanks, EV!
New aftermarket wind screen-dark-silver-mcs-cabrio.jpgNew aftermarket wind screen-minipolice.jpgNew aftermarket wind screen-2-wheel-mini.jpg

Old 10-24-2007, 04:00 PM
brownflyer
Former Vendor
Hi everyone,

As of this morning 10/24/07, I will not be taking any new orders for the windscreen. There are some operational issues that Carlos (upholstery guy) and I need to resolve before we can take new orders. We should be back in operation in about 1 month. Once we're ready to go again, I will let everyone know.

However, if anyone is interested in acquiring a windscreen, I will be keeping an interest list so that we can plan accodingly once we get going.

In the mean time, keep posting your experiences and stories.

If you have any questions, please pm, email or call me direct at 707-330-5823.

Thanks again everyone,
Ev

Old 10-28-2007, 09:32 AM
Steven B
1st Gear
What a Great Product!

We received our "Sidewalk" version of Ev's windblocker and have installed it for a test drive. What a difference! This windblocker works VERY WELL.
Of course, I am comparing to having no windblock at all. I had no intention of paying $400.00 for the factory version. I've mentioned it to the folks at my local dealership. They seem interested, so I will take the car in on a Saturday for them to see it. Maybe you will hear from them, Ev. As for our fellow NAM listers who drive cabrios----buy one of these when Ev gets started up again! You won't be disappointed.

Steven

Old 10-29-2007, 04:47 PM
Rockies
1st Gear
Just received my windscreen on the weekend, thanks to Ev's tireless efforts in resolving a bit of a shipping snafu. Installed it tonight after work, and I am impressed. Very well constructed, a snap to install, and it works like a charm. 13 C (55 F) on the way home tonight, and I was snug and warm the whole way home. Windows up above 50 mph, other than that windows down was fine. Now the only part of me that gets cool is the very top of my head that sticks over the top of the windscreen. My hat takes care of that. All in all, great product that should extend my top down motoring season a while longer yet. Even here in Canada.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:53 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by brownflyer
Hi everyone,

As of this morning 10/24/07, I will not be taking any new orders for the windscreen. There are some operational issues that Carlos (upholstery guy) and I need to resolve before we can take new orders. We should be back in operation in about 1 month. Once we're ready to go again, I will let everyone know.

However, if anyone is interested in acquiring a windscreen, I will be keeping an interest list so that we can plan accodingly once we get going.

In the mean time, keep posting your experiences and stories.

If you have any questions, please pm, email or call me direct at 707-330-5823.

Thanks again everyone,
Ev
Noooooooooooo!!! I just found this thread and now I want one!! Let us know when you start production up again...

QUESTION: (sorry if I missed this in the vast chunk of historic threads) - What does this do to the wind in the rear seat? My kids love riding in the MINI, but get blown around something fierce. Does interrupting the air flow to the front seats also calm the rear seat area to any noticeable extent?

GREAT idea, Brownflyer!

-Matt

Last edited by ImagoX; 10-30-2007 at 08:55 AM.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:18 PM
brownflyer
Former Vendor
Matt, from your sig looks like the purple haze is comming???
As for the rear seat turbulance, it doesn't seem to effect it much. Because of the windscreen, the wind comes from the side at the rear seats. The difference is that it doesn't have anywhere to go so it clashes in the middle (due to the blockage of the windscreen) and creates some turbulance there.

I've been working on a windscreen for the rear seats. However, the prototype required holes to be drilled in the plastic covers on side of the seats for mounting of the windscreen frame. After having some discussions with other Mini owners, they made it clear that the it was something that was not to their liking. It's now back to the drawing board on an alternative mounting point.

However, from preliminary findings with the prototype it does eliminate the wind turbulance considerably for the rear seat.

As soon as I get the new one completed, I will post more info.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:49 PM
sreeja
1st Gear
It is good.It is easy to use and remove.What about its price.

Old 11-07-2007, 11:11 AM
Sidewalk07
1st Gear
The price is right. Contact Brownflyer for your Mini. I have an 07 Sidewalk.
The sidewalk screen is a little more to match the brown leather. Look back
on this thread to find Brownflyer's number. Tell EV Sidewalk07 sent you.

You will be happy.

Old 11-11-2007, 02:10 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Let me know when you start up again, Brownflyer...

And yes, I now have a Purple Haze cabrio. Driving the car home to Ohio from Los Angeles would have been a GREAT time to have one of these, let me tell ya.

Old 11-11-2007, 05:31 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm still REALLY interested in a back seat wind solution, also...

Old 11-15-2007, 05:11 AM
eager2own
6th Gear
Does the screen block access to the rear cup holder from the front seat?

Old 11-15-2007, 12:35 PM
brownflyer
Former Vendor
You do have access to the rear cup holder. Check out this pic from the installation instructions:

The windscreen falls right on the cup holder. So, you can push it forward for rear seat cup holder access or move it back for front access. I usually have a bottle of water sitting there and I just move the windscreen back so I can have access to it from the front.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-16-2007, 05:59 AM
eager2own
6th Gear
Hope this helps.
It does. I saw the pic, but didn't know how much "give" the material has to push back as you describe. Great! Let me know when you're back in production.

Old 12-05-2007, 10:21 PM
sreeja
1st Gear
Thank you .Later i will looking in to it?I contact Brownflyer

Old 12-06-2007, 08:19 AM
MichelleN
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by eager2own
It does. I saw the pic, but didn't know how much "give" the material has to push back as you describe. Great! Let me know when you're back in production.
+1 - can't wait til production is back on. Hoping to get one as a "christmas present" for myself

Old 01-09-2008, 10:26 AM
brownflyer
Former Vendor
Hi people,

I'm happy to announce that we're resuming production of the windscreen. So, if you have any questions please contact me.

Thanks to everyone that have been waiting patiently,
Ev
everardoval@netzero.net or brownflyer2000@hotmail.com

Old 01-09-2008, 03:28 PM
Sidewalk07
1st Gear
That's great news EV. Now more people can enjoy what my wife and I have for the last four months.

Old 01-18-2008, 06:57 PM
Wabbit
1st Gear
Hey Ev! Great article on your windscreen in the new issue of MC2 magazine. So are you going to be making windscreens for other cars too?

Marilyn

Old 01-18-2008, 09:57 PM
brownflyer
Former Vendor
Hi Marilyn,
Yes that's part of the plan but with other project at hand, I've had to put that off for a bit. However, if somebody is interested just contact me and we can discuss requirements.

Old 01-26-2008, 07:57 PM
MiniDaMoocher
4th Gear
Hi Ev, been a while. Hope things are going well. I have a couple questions for you.

Any closer on the rear wind screen? My daughter asks every time where cruising somewhere.

Have you ever thought to provide a holder for the wind screen when not in use? Or maybe a way to keep it rolled up like a couple pieces of velcro sewn on to the lower support straps. I take it down when it's really cold since I know the top isn't going anywhere. I used to put it in the trunk but now I roll it up and store it behind my seat. What do you think?

Old 01-27-2008, 10:38 AM
brownflyer
Former Vendor
Hi Jon, Nice to hear from you.
The short answer to your first question is, YES. I've made some progress, how much is debatable.

But here's where I'm at: The rear windscreen is composed of 3 sections. The rear (between the roll bar) and the two side sections. I'm finally happy with the rear section after making some more modifications to it. I was having mounting problems, well not really problems more like what the easiest and strongest way of mounting it. I think I'm finally done with that.

I will take some pics of it and post them in the next few days.

The side sections, well that has been more of a challenge. I had a full prototype ready to go but it required to drill a small hole on the plastic sides at the rear seat. Some people I spoke with expressed their concern with this. So, I had to rework the entire mounting concept. I think I finally came up with a solution that will make everyone happy. It will use the existing OEM windscreen holes on the plastic panels. There is a small screw at the very end of it and that will be replaced with a longer one that will hold the mounting hub for the squeleton. I'm currently in the first stage of molding this piece and it's a multi step process to get the final hub.

It's been pretty cold here in Northern Cali. in the last couple of weeks (well ok, for nor Cal standards I don't think we can compare to Colorado. ) and since I do all my prototyping and work in my garage, 30 mins and my hands are barely flexible. So, it's been a slow process.

Believe me when I say that this project is on my priority list as I want to have it ready so that my kids can enjoy top down motoring as well.

I will keep you posted when the prototype is finally ready to go. And will also post some pics in the next couple of days.
Take care,
Ev

Old 01-27-2008, 10:50 AM
brownflyer
Former Vendor
Ops! Sorry.
For your second question, honestly I hadn't thought about it. But, that's a good idea. I originally thought about including a bag but then I figure it would have the same faith as the OEM case the windscreen comes in and also wanted to keep cost as low as possible.

My only concern is that any exposed velcro or hook & loop (the hook side) has a tendancy to attach itself to the mesh. So, while folding it you could end up with the mesh all tangled up. Now...that gives me an idea.... how about two more strips of vinyl with snap buttons attached to them...or better yet...using the same elastic (the long side) and attaching the snap buttons to it...that would save on fabrication time, materials and no additional strips hanging out the windscreen than necessary.

Can I get some comments on this? How about the people that have been using the windscreen, comments?

See what you did, JON!!!

Old 01-27-2008, 04:48 PM
MiniDaMoocher
4th Gear
I think your on to something. The velcro catching could be a problem (easily correctible though), but snaps could work well too. Anything to consolidate it while it's not in use. Incidentally even though I didn't mention it, I think you and I are on the same page anyway, that the storage system would not need to incoporate the headrests. As we've discussed I leave mine on all the time. I guess if you don't have the two zipper type then maybe a different method might be necessary.

Glad your open to new ideas and thinking about it.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:10 PM
brownflyer
Former Vendor
Rear Windscreen

Here are some pics of the Rear Windscreen. This is just for the one that goes between the rollbars.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:12 PM
brownflyer
Former Vendor
Hey Jon,

Are you talking about something like this for storing?

New aftermarket wind screen-121_2120.jpg

Quick Reply: R52 New aftermarket wind screen