R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 MINI CLUBMAN PICTURES

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 08:40 PM
lhoboy
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RktWgn
I don't have a problem with the suicide door's operation and agree that it'll be an enhancement to the functionality of the car. However, they put it on the WRONG side. 95% of the time this car will have one occupant, the driver. Why force this person to walk around the car in order to gain more convenient access to the rear seat? I can only conclude the bean counters didn't want to be bothered reconfiguring the car for us "yanks".
I am guessing that the US model will be on the driver's side, just as it is in the UK. Notice that the Clubman hasn't been introduced yet? Some of that has to do with the mods that are needed for the U.S. model.

Old 10-09-2007, 08:56 AM
theblueone
1st Gear
Originally Posted by lhoboy
I am guessing that the US model will be on the driver's side, just as it is in the UK. Notice that the Clubman hasn't been introduced yet? Some of that has to do with the mods that are needed for the U.S. model.
Sounds like some people haven't been reading their Motoringfile It's pretty well confirmed that the suicide door will be on the right side for all markets, regardless of which side the driver sits. This is to facilitate easier/safer rear-seat ingress/egress towards where the curb is in most markets.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:17 PM
lhoboy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by theblueone
Sounds like some people haven't been reading their Motoringfile It's pretty well confirmed that the suicide door will be on the right side for all markets, regardless of which side the driver sits. This is to facilitate easier/safer rear-seat ingress/egress towards where the curb is in most markets.
Still doesn't make sense. Convenience should be the overriding consideration in this case. How often does one actually parallel park these days? In suburbia you don't have to and in most cities you can't find curbside parking. When I get my Woody Clubman, I'll just have to get a right hand steerer.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:35 PM
MINIFINIMAN
Former Vendor
I still haven't had the confirmation on the frame openings but be sure of one thing we will make a SportLink to fit this car. Other new items out soon.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:19 PM
Zyamfier
Coordinator :: Cooper Owners of Rural Nebraska (CORN)
Originally Posted by MINIFINIMAN
I still haven't had the confirmation on the frame openings but be sure of one thing we will make a SportLink to fit this car. Other new items out soon.
Excellent!!!!!

Old 10-12-2007, 01:36 PM
cloud10
4th Gear
Check out the website Mini2-Fuel for Your Obsession in Britain. There is a lot of discussion and photos of the Clubman, plus coverage of the event at the Oxford plant to introduce it to enthusiasts.
The reason the little door has to be on the passenger side is because of U.S. safety requirements. With the fuel door on the driver side there was no way the backdoor could be placed on that side.
Lots of interesting information on the site and the Mini drivers are a great group.

Old 10-12-2007, 02:55 PM
CapWKidd
4th Gear
I was thinking "who would buy this thing?" then I saw the suicide doors, that I like...

Originally Posted by bmwgr1
Some pictures taken from www.autoblog.com

Old 10-12-2007, 06:18 PM
Drillslinger
6th Gear
For those of you interested, I'm still adding Clubman and other MINI photos from Frankfurt to the Motoringfile gallery HERE

Old 10-14-2007, 12:05 AM
jameszimo
2nd Gear
My 2 cents:
I'm not crazy about the paint schemes MINI chose for the Clubman, but may live with it (or will have it painted to match the rest of the car). Also, we have a newborn and live in the city, so having the suicide door on the passenger side will be key as we park on the curb everywhere we go. I gave up on owning a MINI when we found out we were having a kid, until MINI announced the Clubman! Yay!

Old 10-18-2007, 06:55 PM
lhoboy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cloud10
The reason the little door has to be on the passenger side is because of U.S. safety requirements. With the fuel door on the driver side there was no way the backdoor could be placed on that side.
Lots of interesting information on the site and the Mini drivers are a great group.

Lots of makes and models in the US have the gas on the passenger side. Whenever I rent a car, its always a coin toss whether the gas is on the driver side or passenger side.

Old 10-18-2007, 07:05 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I look at the paint scheme on the back of the Clubman I think..."well that's unique." Then I think (based on many comments here and elsewhere) "well what if you really did repaint those c-pillars?" I dunno, doesn't seem so cool to me....so then, considering the options, suddenly the contrasting paint starts to look much much better!! I hope those who are already ready to repaint will at least give it a chance...if it were me I'd likely regret ruining something very unique simply because I formed an opinion too soon. It happens.

Old 11-10-2007, 06:37 AM
esigs
Neutral
Here's a picture of a Clubman I saw in Rome last week.

Attached Thumbnails MINI CLUBMAN PICTURES-img_1594small.jpg  
Old 11-10-2007, 10:19 AM
2phun
4th Gear
Originally Posted by esigs
Here's a picture of a Clubman I saw in Rome last week.
That's a sharp look. I think the contrasting pillars on that one might even work!

Old 11-10-2007, 11:12 AM
qwiksilvr
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by wondermini
Not a fan. I think it looks like a Mini mated with a Subaru Forrester--not a pretty site. A Mini with an elongated butt.

Just my two cents. I seem to be the only one on this forum who's somewhat anti-Clubman.
I second that!