R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 MINI CLUBMAN PICTURES

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 12:49 PM
bmwgr1
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MINI CLUBMAN PICTURES

Some pictures taken from www.autoblog.com

Attached Thumbnails MINI CLUBMAN PICTURES-clubman003.jpg   MINI CLUBMAN PICTURES-clubman008.jpg   MINI CLUBMAN PICTURES-clubman014.jpg  
Old 07-28-2007, 12:51 PM
Alpha Motoring
6th Gear
Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts
The 2nd picture, ohh wow! Agh!!! This might make me get a second MINI!

Old 07-28-2007, 12:51 PM
jeffc
7th Gear
Interesting....

Old 07-28-2007, 04:16 PM
Mishka
6th Gear
Not sure we like the contrasting silver trim around the back door on the blue one.

Also, I wonder why it says "Cooper S" on the back in the first pic?

Old 07-28-2007, 05:29 PM
mauberley
6th Gear
The Clubman isn't badged "Clubman," just as the cabrio isn't badged "Cabrio." They are still Coopers.

Old 07-29-2007, 06:44 AM
Mishka
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mauberley
The Clubman isn't badged "Clubman," just as the cabrio isn't badged "Cabrio." They are still Coopers.
Except that the cabrio is still a Cooper or Cooper S-just convertible instead of hardtop-whereas the Clubman isn't a Cooper.

Old 07-29-2007, 06:55 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mishka
whereas the Clubman isn't a Cooper.
no, the clubman IS a cooper(or cooper S) just longer instead of shorter

Old 07-29-2007, 07:30 AM
kgdblu
6th Gear
I just hope they make an AWD version....

Old 07-29-2007, 11:44 AM
everytimeidie027
6th Gear
Originally Posted by kgdblu
I just hope they make an AWD version....
That would be awesome, the Clubman is pretty sweet

Old 07-29-2007, 12:13 PM
wondermini
4th Gear
Not a fan

Not a fan. I think it looks like a Mini mated with a Subaru Forrester--not a pretty site. A Mini with an elongated butt.

Just my two cents. I seem to be the only one on this forum who's somewhat anti-Clubman.

Old 07-29-2007, 12:16 PM
wondermini
4th Gear
down-side of suicide doors

Forgot to mention...

As a Honda Element owner, I can tell you all that suicide doors seems great, but are a huge pain in the ***. It's all well and good if you're parked in an empty lot, but as soon as someone parks next to you--good luck getting out of the back seat or loading anything in. It ceases to be even remotely convenient at that point.

Old 07-29-2007, 01:57 PM
rhawth99
6th Gear
Originally Posted by wondermini
Not a fan. I think it looks like a Mini mated with a Subaru Forrester--not a pretty site. A Mini with an elongated butt.

Just my two cents. I seem to be the only one on this forum who's somewhat anti-Clubman.
I have a Forrester along with our two MINIs and the Clubman looks MUCH better than the Subaru! It is always interesting seeing everyone's reaction to new MINI models. Many R53 owners were initially (and some still are) put off by the R56. Personally, I love the look of the Clubman, especially with the contrasting silver roof and C piilars. Of course, I have the silver roof on my '06 so I'm prejudiced!

I'm thrilled that MINI is continuing to evolve the MINI family - some people like convertibles, some don't, some need more room than a standard MINI has, some don't. Different strokes for different folks!

Old 07-29-2007, 02:13 PM
wondermini
4th Gear
Certainly, everyone has different tastes...

You have to consider those suicide doors might be a real negative, though. I challenge anyone who plans to buy a Clubman to try to gracefully get out of the back seat while parked next to another vehicle in a standard-sized spot--without banging the doors of the new Mini on the adjacent car.

I love our Honda Element, but I hate those suicide doors.

Old 07-29-2007, 05:55 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't see a Forester resemblance in the Clubman. If they had mated that would've been so cool, because then the Clubbie would be AWD. We have a Forester XT & yes I can think of one similarity. Our XT has a hood scoop too. Although it is functional.

I really like the Clubbie, but man that silver trim on the C pillars isn't my cup O tea. I'm betting after a while they will make that an option.

Old 07-30-2007, 08:39 AM
garp
Neutral

You are not alone. I like the front and side views and I could live with the suicide door, but the rear end is just plain ugly. The contrasting color scheme does absolutey nothing for me. If I could get it in Red with a white roof, and a body color rear end i would order it tomorrow.

My other concern is the rear view being blocked by the pillars where the rear doors meet. I know that is the way the old minis were set up, but it just seems like a huge sacrifice to form over function.

I have a small child, and I NEED a clubman, but I will order a Coupe. The Coupe will make me smile every time I see it in the driveway. The Clubman would have to be backed into every parking space so I didn't have to see the rear end

Old 07-30-2007, 10:06 AM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Originally Posted by garp
You are not alone. I like the front and side views and I could live with the suicide door, but the rear end is just plain ugly. The contrasting color scheme does absolutey nothing for me. If I could get it in Red with a white roof, and a body color rear end i would order it tomorrow.

My other concern is the rear view being blocked by the pillars where the rear doors meet. I know that is the way the old minis were set up, but it just seems like a huge sacrifice to form over function.

I have a small child, and I NEED a clubman, but I will order a Coupe. The Coupe will make me smile every time I see it in the driveway. The Clubman would have to be backed into every parking space so I didn't have to see the rear end
That make at least three of us who aren't big fans. Somehow it just doesn't seem to fit the sporty MINI persona. I know, people are going to point to the classic Mini Clubman and use the heritage argument to justify the existence of the new design, but I think they were in a completely different category back then as the new Clubman will be now. It's just a really unique vehicle that falls into a broad, utilitarian, station wagon / small SUV category. And quite honestly, to me they look lumbering and very suburban--most unlike the R50-R56.

I'm sure there will be a small subculture of rabid Clubman fans, and that's okay by me. Just don't expect me to embrace it. If you decide to put big chrome wheels, low-profile tires, and flame graphics on your Clubman, I will be looking the other way and trying not to hurl...but I will repect your personal choice.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:21 AM
eVal
6th Gear
Forgot to mention...

As a Honda Element owner, I can tell you all that suicide doors seems great, but are a huge pain in the ***. It's all well and good if you're parked in an empty lot, but as soon as someone parks next to you--good luck getting out of the back seat or loading anything in. It ceases to be even remotely convenient at that point.
Good point. Actually they look like they have the potential to be real door dingers since anyone emerging from the rear seats will probably have the suicide door pop all the way open. (I almost forgot, that is exactly what happened when our 05 MCS was brand new - a coworker opened her Element's suicide door right into my doorhandle, it just flopped right open and without any exterior handle it seemed inclined to do that. Lead to some very tense moments but luckily the handle was not harmed at all.)

Rear light treatment looks too small in proportion to me. I'm sure it fits a marketable niche but for us it defeats the whole point of having the Mini, a tiny nimble easy to park car; once it gets bigger there is a lot of worthy competition (esp rwd/awd).

Last edited by eVal; 07-30-2007 at 10:27 AM.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:36 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by eVal
Element's suicide door right into my doorhandle, it just flopped right open and without any exterior handle it seemed inclined to do that. Lead to some very tense moments but luckily the handle was not harmed at all.)
I've only been in the back of an element a few times....but it has a handle in the door jam. Wouldn't that have to be pulled for it to "pop open"?

Old 07-30-2007, 10:39 AM
wondermini
4th Gear
Originally Posted by garp
At the risk of harping on the suicide doors too much...if you plan to try to get a child out of the back seat while parked next to another car, you're in trouble. Think about it...everytime you want to open the back door, you have to open the front door. This means that the 1.5ft of space between you and the adjacent car (if you have that much) is about 1/3 consumed by the front door. If you then try to squeeze into or out of the back seat, you can only open the back door about a foot. :impatient I'd hate to try that with a squirming child.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:40 AM
wondermini
4th Gear
Originally Posted by RallyMINI
I've only been in the back of an element a few times....but it has a handle in the door jam. Wouldn't that have to be pulled for it to "pop open"?
Yes. It would. The doors do not just pop open. But they are very heavy and swing out quickly once opened.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:42 AM
eVal
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RallyMINI
Yes (and I rode in the back too), its just once you pull it the door seemed to just open all the way. The handle incident happened when the owner opened it from the outside and the rear door flopped into my drivers side handle - it is a good thing the cars were aligned as they were or it would have been a ding in the metal for sure.

As for the handle, I think people are more inclined to hold a door from the outside if it has a handle that can be grasped when the door is still closed vs an indent in the frame.

Last edited by eVal; 07-30-2007 at 10:45 AM.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:49 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
ahhh gotcha....i noticed that too. Once unlatched that door definitely wanted to be open

Old 07-31-2007, 08:44 PM
pinkMINIgirl
3rd Gear
I have to honestly say, I'm not a fan either I don't like it at all.

I was hoping it would be cooler since we just had twins, but we will make do with our current MCS's for sure!

Old 07-31-2007, 08:51 PM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I see one in my hubby's future....It's still growing on me though...but...I don't like the suicide door - ick... I don't think that will stop us from getting one though...

Donna

Old 07-31-2007, 09:18 PM
BUGETER
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I join you in the anti-Clubman crowd I just do not like the look of the car. I will be courteous when I see one on the road/parking lot and give the "MINI-wave" because it is still a MINI.

Quick Reply: R55 MINI CLUBMAN PICTURES