R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Are you getting one ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 08:51 AM
lastrega
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got my production number too busy to look up the status.. I am told mid January production mid February delivery if nothing is on back order like GPS..

while waiting for the clubman I got myself a new convertible. Needs to be picked up !!

Last edited by lastrega; 12-04-2007 at 02:00 PM.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:20 PM
DaveloMA
1st Gear
Mostly nice

I spent some time in two Clubmans at the New England Automobile Show this Sunday. First real long-term exposure to any MINI. I have a few thoughts....

1. I really like this car. The proportions seem just right, and the added space is a deciding factor for me. It should hold a road bicycle (with the front wheel removed) with no problem.
  2. I liked the rear doors -- easy to unlock, and with just a tug the air springs open them gently (and don't provide much resistance when closing). Nice. And while they don't swing out 180 degrees (think: traffic!), they swing out a bit more than 90, so access to the cargo area is pretty decent.
  3. Love the cockpit (save for a few nits, below). Everything's adjustable, or so it seems, and it was easy to accommodate a great driving position with the tach in full view.
  4. Fit and finish (and the thunk! of the closing door) are what you'd expect from a premium brand. (Fit, for example, while good enough, suffered by comparison.)
  5. Seat backs go down quickly and easily and, for all intents and purposes, flat (with the head rests removed).
  6. A like-sized friend sat up front (I'm 5'11"), and I sat in back. It felt reasonable roomy, and was comfortable. Maybe not for a cross-country trip, but for a ride to a restaurant or the movies or whatever, more than adequate.
Nits
  1. Why why why did they get cute with the gearshift ****? It's one of the first things your hand falls on, and you're going to be on it a lot, so why not a plain ol' ****? That's the first part to get binned after purchase. (The **** on my '96 Protege is better!) Recall the top-most tennis ball in a can of tennis ***** -- you can put your palm on it, but you have to deal with the uncomfortable lip on the can. That's the basic design.... grumble.
  2. There are two banks of toggle switches -- one behind the stick, and one above the mirror. While I liked the way they operated, I wonder how I'll feel driving down the road at night trying to, say, put up a window. The legends are pretty small.
  3. Ambient lighting? Its effects were hard to appreciate in the convention center, but I'm not sure it's necessary. Orangeish or bluish or whitish, I think the pilot and serve up. (However, without a sunroof, that's a big ol' slab of roof, so maybe the ambient lighting helps with SAD.
  4. IIR, the radio requires two separate buttons -- one, away from the radio, below it, to power it on; another, similar in design, and above it and part of the radio, to do something else (tune stations, or select mode...). I did like, though, that the radio could be operated without the car on.
  5. Wasn't nuts about the roofline ridges. They don't detract, overall, but they don't add anything.
  6. The headlight holes in the bonnet have several little box-shaped tabs around the perimeter. All I could think of when I saw them is that road salt will be as welcome there as the mice seem to be in my attic. Not sure what function they serve.
  7. I just read the Clubman has a shift indicator (like my '87 Jetta... "Shift now for maximum fuel economy!"). Where's my roll of duct tape?
So, will I buy one? Yes!!!

IF: it will take a bicycle with the front wheel removed.
IF: I can stomach the idea of paying low- mid-$20s for a car.
IF: I can choose... S or non-S; colors! options! Too... many... choices....

Old 12-04-2007, 07:28 PM
Clubmanbound
2nd Gear
When you saw pictures of the clubman and then saw it in person does it look different, look better or worse. In pictures it looks very long.

Originally Posted by DaveloMA
I spent some time in two Clubmans at the New England Automobile Show this Sunday. First real long-term exposure to any MINI. I have a few thoughts....

1. I really like this car. The proportions seem just right, and the added space is a deciding factor for me. It should hold a road bicycle (with the front wheel removed) with no problem.
  2. I liked the rear doors -- easy to unlock, and with just a tug the air springs open them gently (and don't provide much resistance when closing). Nice. And while they don't swing out 180 degrees (think: traffic!), they swing out a bit more than 90, so access to the cargo area is pretty decent.
  3. Love the cockpit (save for a few nits, below). Everything's adjustable, or so it seems, and it was easy to accommodate a great driving position with the tach in full view.
  4. Fit and finish (and the thunk! of the closing door) are what you'd expect from a premium brand. (Fit, for example, while good enough, suffered by comparison.)
  5. Seat backs go down quickly and easily and, for all intents and purposes, flat (with the head rests removed).
  6. A like-sized friend sat up front (I'm 5'11"), and I sat in back. It felt reasonable roomy, and was comfortable. Maybe not for a cross-country trip, but for a ride to a restaurant or the movies or whatever, more than adequate.
Nits
  1. Why why why did they get cute with the gearshift ****? It's one of the first things your hand falls on, and you're going to be on it a lot, so why not a plain ol' ****? That's the first part to get binned after purchase. (The **** on my '96 Protege is better!) Recall the top-most tennis ball in a can of tennis ***** -- you can put your palm on it, but you have to deal with the uncomfortable lip on the can. That's the basic design.... grumble.
  2. There are two banks of toggle switches -- one behind the stick, and one above the mirror. While I liked the way they operated, I wonder how I'll feel driving down the road at night trying to, say, put up a window. The legends are pretty small.
  3. Ambient lighting? Its effects were hard to appreciate in the convention center, but I'm not sure it's necessary. Orangeish or bluish or whitish, I think the pilot and serve up. (However, without a sunroof, that's a big ol' slab of roof, so maybe the ambient lighting helps with SAD.
  4. IIR, the radio requires two separate buttons -- one, away from the radio, below it, to power it on; another, similar in design, and above it and part of the radio, to do something else (tune stations, or select mode...). I did like, though, that the radio could be operated without the car on.
  5. Wasn't nuts about the roofline ridges. They don't detract, overall, but they don't add anything.
  6. The headlight holes in the bonnet have several little box-shaped tabs around the perimeter. All I could think of when I saw them is that road salt will be as welcome there as the mice seem to be in my attic. Not sure what function they serve.
  7. I just read the Clubman has a shift indicator (like my '87 Jetta... "Shift now for maximum fuel economy!"). Where's my roll of duct tape?
So, will I buy one? Yes!!!

IF: it will take a bicycle with the front wheel removed.
IF: I can stomach the idea of paying low- mid-$20s for a car.
IF: I can choose... S or non-S; colors! options! Too... many... choices....

Old 12-05-2007, 09:45 AM
DaveloMA
1st Gear
I think it looks better in person. It does look long in pictures, but in the flesh (the sheet metal?), it looks perfect. But that's just my opinion. You need to check it out for yourself.

Old 12-05-2007, 09:51 AM
Clubmanbound
2nd Gear
Thanks for your reply. I may go to the DC auto show in Jan and I hope they have a clubman.

I think it looks better in person. It does look long in pictures, but in the flesh (the sheet metal?), it looks perfect. But that's just my opinion. You need to check it out for yourself.

Old 12-05-2007, 11:45 AM
lastrega
6th Gear
WhenI saw the Clubman in Sept. it was easily spotted among other MINIs and BMWs, but at a closer look it seems shorter than the pictures. It's a confortable 4 seater with a bit more room in the boot. To haul stuff around I think the GP is more convenient but who wants to use the GP as MINI Van? I don't.

Old 12-05-2007, 04:18 PM
club(wo)man
3rd Gear
I agree. I spent so much time staring at the pictures online, worried that I was getting all hyped up over something that I would hate "in sheet-metal". Just a few minutes at the LA auto show allayed those fears. It looks great in person. I can't wait to get mine!

Old 12-10-2007, 11:27 AM
korby
6th Gear
So who's is arriving first ? I'm going to Carmax today to see what they'll give me for my R56S.

Old 12-10-2007, 12:19 PM
cixuru
2nd Gear
mine's supposed to arrive Feb 14. I just changed from BRG to hot chocolate, but apparently it's not too late to make the switch.

Old 12-10-2007, 12:44 PM
Futures10
Neutral
Originally Posted by cixuru
mine's supposed to arrive Feb 14. I just changed from BRG to hot chocolate, but apparently it's not too late to make the switch.
Nice color choice. Yours seems to be one of the earliests. Mine is scheduled for production in 3rd week of Jan 08, and look for late Feb delivery...Checking my order status every week now

Old 12-10-2007, 01:25 PM
Skye2
3rd Gear
I just ordered a Clubman S in dark silver (no bonnet stripes) and silver C pillars and the convenience package. I decided not to get the sport suspension and got the 16" bridgespoke wheels. I had to cut costs a little. I did get the Xenon lights and the factory alarm. I was told that the delivery date will be in March.

Old 12-10-2007, 03:59 PM
korby
6th Gear
Carmax offered me $19,000 for my R56s ,6300 miles on it . I paid $25,800 . Thats not gonna' work .
http://www.motoringfile.com/2007/12/...-us/#more-6336
^^^^Clubmans will be hard to get .

Last edited by korby; 12-10-2007 at 04:55 PM.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:53 PM
club(wo)man
3rd Gear
I think I'm getting mine in feb, but i still can't log on to the owners lounge to see. My production number was apparently used on a BMW as well, so i get kicked over to their site when I try to log on. An e-mail to AskMini confirmed that my Clubman order is in their system, I just can't access it yet. maybe i'll just ask my MA...

Cixuru - I'm glad to hear you can make changes to the order... I'm tossing around the idea of adding Xenons. I read only rave reviews...

Old 12-10-2007, 06:01 PM
teachinkids
3rd Gear
I looked a fair bit at the Clubman before deciding on an MCS. I somehow couldn't get past the pillar in the middle of the rear barn doors.

Old 12-10-2007, 06:38 PM
club(wo)man
3rd Gear
How's that for quick response! I sent an e-mail to my MA after my last post (37 minutes ago), and he already called me back. I'm now getting xenons (hey, I was happy about the prompt response...) and he said I should have my Clubman in February. YAY! I'm starting to love Long Beach Mini!

Old 12-11-2007, 04:35 AM
glangford
6th Gear
I like the clubman concept and am glad MINI is building it. Hopefully this will get more people who were on the edge of getting a mini because of its small size into a mini and out of Suburbans!!

For me and a family of two, though, I'll stick with my 2007 MC, fits my bill perfectly. I love small cars, having once owned a Honda 600, talk about small. I kept my 99 CR-V for serious hauling stuff around.

But to those of you who are getting one, my thanks for carrying the MINI brand forward!!!

Old 12-11-2007, 08:03 AM
cooperdclubman
Neutral
Here it is...

Excuse the crap images but it's the best my iPhone could manage on a grey UK afternoon.

Ride is subtly different from my wife's Cooper - slightly better I'd say. As for the main reason for me getting a CLubman - the extra interior space - this is most definitely the case. At 6' 2" and me in an ideal driving position, my wife can comfortably sit behind me. This is not the case in her car.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:47 AM
cixuru
2nd Gear
fabulous photos. I was wavering on getting the chocolate seats, but you've definitely sold me. How exciting. gorgeous!

Old 12-11-2007, 01:01 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Beautiful ride Have any more pics....especially from the back?

Old 12-11-2007, 01:49 PM
Skye2
3rd Gear
I get sent over to the BMW site as well when entering the production number. It says i ordered a 335i in Hot Chocolate metallic and a member of the BMW owners circle. I think their website is a little messed up

Last edited by Skye2; 12-11-2007 at 01:57 PM.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:25 PM
Futures10
Neutral
Originally Posted by Skye2
I get sent over to the BMW site as well when entering the production number. It says i ordered a 335i in Hot Chocolate metallic and a member of the BMW owners circle. I think their website is a little messed up
I got that too. So I just picked up the phone and call 866-ask-mini, and talked to live person who then confirmed my order for 3rd week of Jan production. It will take a week to build and two weeks to ship across, thus the late Feb delivery...

Old 12-11-2007, 10:53 PM
club(wo)man
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Futures10
I got that too. So I just picked up the phone and call 866-ask-mini, and talked to live person who then confirmed my order for 3rd week of Jan production. It will take a week to build and two weeks to ship across, thus the late Feb delivery...
I think I might but one of those "I have one and you don't" MINI tee-shirts, just so I can wear it around when I pick this baby up. but then again, maybe, I don't really need to spend any money between now and then... I had a hard time saying no to the packages... good thing you couldn't add a Kitchen Sink... I mighta done it.

Do you think it's going to be a problem... all those people gawking at our crazy little cars?

Old 12-12-2007, 07:35 AM
Skye2
3rd Gear
It's gonna be the hottest new car of the year and very difficult to get for people walking into a dealer and wanting one.

Old 12-12-2007, 07:48 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Skye2
very difficult to get for people walking into a dealer and wanting one.
More like impossible for someone just walking in and wanting one

I bet once people start seeing them in person....the 4-a-month allocations will fill up like crazy.

Old 12-12-2007, 07:58 AM
Joey D
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While I really do not have the need for a Clubman, I think it would be a great car for my mom and I'm trying to convince her to trade in her Pacifica for one. She still doesn't know. She loves my Cooper but complains that it's a bit to small which is why the Clubman would be perfect for her. Although the wait time on them might discourage her.