R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 My Dealer's Giving Me The Runaround??

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 03:52 PM
peestandingup
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Dealer's Giving Me The Runaround??

My local dealer (don't really wanna say which one specifically) first says that they can take no less than $1500 for a deposit for ordering us a Clubman. By the people on this forum & calling around to other MINI dealers in my area, I know that the going rate is $500-$1000 for deposit.

Calling them on it, they now say "OK, we can take $1000, but its non-refundable (unless the car arrives & isn't the correct spec)." Meanwhile, the 3 other MINI dealers I've spoken with all assured me that the deposit is 100% totally refundable under any circumstances, even when ordering one, & even if you just change your mind. I have written confirmation from one of them to back that up as well.

Local dealer still wont budge. What do you guys think is up??

Old 12-08-2007, 03:57 PM
Mini S Pilot
5th Gear
How far is the next closest dealer?

Old 12-08-2007, 03:57 PM
Scoopmama
6th Gear
I think the dealer is betting on lots of people clamoring for the Clubman and being willing to part with their money!

Lots of folks on NAM order from dealers who are not local. If you have one that is a bit of a distance away, you could order from that one, and have a fun road trip back home!

For services, the local dealership probably has a department that is completely separate from the sales dept. Sometimes free loaner cars are available if you bought from your service dealership, but if the Clubman is going to be a 2nd or 3rd car, I would consider if you even need that!

If I were you, I'd be steering away from your local dealership on this deal!

Old 12-08-2007, 03:58 PM
Karthi
2nd Gear
No deposit for a car should be non-refundable ... considering the wide range of circumstances why someone wouldn't buy a car. They'd leave themselves wide open to a lawsuit ...

Our MA told us the deposit (on an 07 MCS) was refundable ...in your case, with them waffling, I'd go somewhere where they would say they'd refund it or better yet get it in writing ...

Old 12-08-2007, 04:03 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Law varies by state, check it out

most have laws saying that the deposit is refundable, and there are many dealers who either aren't aware of that, or are betting you aren't.

CA and NY both have refundable laws for sure, the rest I don't know about.

Matt

Old 12-08-2007, 05:00 PM
peestandingup
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Scoopmama
If I were you, I'd be steering away from your local dealership on this deal!
I think thats what I'm gonna do. Even IF when I tell them I'm taking my business elsewhere & they then try to tell me they can refund the deposit 100%, I'm still going somewhere else regardless. I don't think I should have to talk them into doing the right thing, so I'll just bounce.

Its not a big deal. I've got 3 more dealers within 2-4 hours from me.

Oh, I forgot. They also told us that they WILL NOT place the order for the Clubman until we get pre-qualified by their own lending dept. I've NEVER had to do that before when buying a new car at this early of a stage. Yeah, Im definitely leaving.

Last edited by peestandingup; 12-08-2007 at 05:04 PM.
Old 12-08-2007, 06:19 PM
2phun
4th Gear
Yeah, they're definitely betting (hoping) that the Clubman will be as hot as the last generation was when it was first introduced. A time when just about every car that came into the dealership was already spoken for. While I think the Clubman will be a good seller for MINI, I think the MINI's days of it being a complete seller's market are starting to wane. I'd be taking my business to another dealership that understands the current market rather than living back in the glory days.

Old 12-08-2007, 06:58 PM
korby
6th Gear
So is there a run on Clubmans, has anyone heard ?

Old 12-08-2007, 11:39 PM
OrionLTD
3rd Gear
Any dealer who wants to charge over MSRP, tells you that prequalification is a must or wants a non-refundable deposit should be seeing your backside as you travel out the door and onto another dealer. If you are in So Cal, drop on by South Bay mini and ask for Amanda!

Old 12-09-2007, 08:19 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Then I'd guess

Originally Posted by peestandingup
I think thats what I'm gonna do. Even IF when I tell them I'm taking my business elsewhere & they then try to tell me they can refund the deposit 100%, I'm still going somewhere else regardless. I don't think I should have to talk them into doing the right thing, so I'll just bounce.

Its not a big deal. I've got 3 more dealers within 2-4 hours from me.

Oh, I forgot. They also told us that they WILL NOT place the order for the Clubman until we get pre-qualified by their own lending dept. I've NEVER had to do that before when buying a new car at this early of a stage. Yeah, Im definitely leaving.
you have to be in the SF Bay Area or SoCal. Anyplace else have that kind of dealer density?

Depending on where you are, the local clubs can steer you right.

Matt

Old 12-09-2007, 12:21 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
That's insane. The deposit should be no more than $1000, should be refundable, and your financing is none of their business.

Although, now that I think of it, they did run my credit anyway at East Bay, even though I told them I already had my own financing. No idea why.

Old 12-09-2007, 01:14 PM
gnatster
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
you have to be in the SF Bay Area or SoCal. Anyplace else have that kind of dealer density?

Depending on where you are, the local clubs can steer you right.

Matt
Texas has that sort of dealership density. Within 4 hours I can be at Mini of Dallas 20 min, Moritz Mini 250 min (Arlington), Mini of The Woodlands 3.5 hours, Jackie Cooper Mini 3.5 hrs (OK City), Momentum Mini 4 hrs (Houston), Mini of San Antonio 4 hrs and coming soon Mini of Austin 4hrs.

Old 12-09-2007, 02:34 PM
vdubdoug
6th Gear
Everything is refundable. Just read the back of the buyers order. If the buyer's order says 10% deposit on special orders and you put down less than 10%, it is easy to get your money back.

And like the clubmans won't sell.....

Old 12-09-2007, 03:10 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Learn something new every day!

Originally Posted by gnatster
Texas has that sort of dealership density. Within 4 hours I can be at Mini of Dallas 20 min, Moritz Mini 250 min (Arlington), Mini of The Woodlands 3.5 hours, Jackie Cooper Mini 3.5 hrs (OK City), Momentum Mini 4 hrs (Houston), Mini of San Antonio 4 hrs and coming soon Mini of Austin 4hrs.
But is that with or without rush hour traffic!

Matt

Old 12-09-2007, 07:07 PM
peestandingup
1st Gear
They're claiming that pre-qualification with them is to "protect" the customer & making sure they are comfortable with the current interest rate/payments & not getting in over their head. Uh, I think thats between my lender & myself, eh??

I've financed 2 new cars before in my life (a ford & a toyota) & I've never done such things. Is this a MINI thing or just this particular dealer?? Because none of the other MINI dealers I spoke with mentioned that. And we went into details.

Last edited by peestandingup; 12-09-2007 at 07:10 PM.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:18 PM
gnatster
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
But is that with or without rush hour traffic!

Matt

Without...barring no other backups.

Old 12-09-2007, 07:21 PM
cixuru
2nd Gear
I am buying at my family's dealer in nashville - they said it's against the law to make a non-refundable deposit, and the max was $1K. In SoCal, both the LA and North Hollywood dealerships were trying to run my credit/financing before they would even pre-order, and they wouldn't assure MSRP, saying they'd go at least $5K over if not more. This was mid-November. Wouldn't give them my business after that nonsense.

Old 12-09-2007, 07:31 PM
peestandingup
1st Gear
Originally Posted by cixuru
I am buying at my family's dealer in nashville - they said it's against the law to make a non-refundable deposit, and the max was $1K. In SoCal, both the LA and North Hollywood dealerships were trying to run my credit/financing before they would even pre-order, and they wouldn't assure MSRP, saying they'd go at least $5K over if not more. This was mid-November. Wouldn't give them my business after that nonsense.
God, MINI Corporate needs to do some house keeping it sounds like & get some of these clowns in check because it reflects on their brand name. This is my first MINI experience & its not going over so well.

Old 12-09-2007, 07:52 PM
cloud10
4th Gear
God, MINI Corporate needs to do some house keeping it sounds like & get some of these clowns in check because it reflects on their brand name. This is my first MINI experience & its not going over so well.
Mini North Scottdale has been great. I gave them $1K in Jan. '06. Always was refundable. The other night when they called to place my order that I had sent them specced out weeks ago, they had me give them another $1K. Once the order is placed the deposits are nonrefundable. No problem for me as I was just happy that once again they lived up to their end of the deal by keeping me as the no. 1 order. They don't play games and because of that this is the 4th car I've purchased through them (the other 3 were BMWs downstairs from MINI, but the same fine MAs).
They also asked how I wanted to pay as I have no car to turn in. They emailed me all the necessary paperwork to fill out so that when I go down to pick up Clubby it is quick and simple without sitting there filling out apps. They know I intend to use my credit line at Wells Fargo and they work through them so the deal should go quickly.
Nothing but good things to say about them. I may get on the list for the SAV as soon as they offer it. Never hurts to have the option to be first in line for something you may want. And I have time to save for it. I'd like to have a full stable of MINIs, but my family will probably commit me. They don't understand my love of cars.

Old 12-09-2007, 08:48 PM
peestandingup
1st Gear
Originally Posted by cloud10
Mini North Scottdale has been great. I gave them $1K in Jan. '06. Always was refundable. The other night when they called to place my order that I had sent them specced out weeks ago, they had me give them another $1K. Once the order is placed the deposits are nonrefundable. No problem for me as I was just happy that once again they lived up to their end of the deal by keeping me as the no. 1 order.
So, you had to give them a total of $2K before your order was even placed?? And they then said it wasn't refundable at that point??? That doesn't sound right either.

Its my understanding that the deposit is supposed to ALWAYS be refundable, even if you just change your mind once your custom ordered car arrives at the dealer.

It seems like some of these dealers just make up their own rules as they go instead of following set guidelines.

Old 12-09-2007, 08:56 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Some make up their own rules and hope the customer doesn't call them on it, but others actually go to the trouble of making the screw-job legally binding.

I've heard of California dealers that call the front money an "ordering fee", rather than a "deposit", specifically so they can make it non-refundable.

But if your dealer calls it a "deposit", and that's what's on the paperwork, I suspect that if push came to shove, you could get ALL of it back, right up until the moment you take delivery of the car.

Old 12-09-2007, 09:18 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
They can call it what they want...

but the law (check your state!) is very specific on this. I went through the pissing contest once in NY with a Ford dealer, and once in CA with an Acura dealer.

Most state web sites have the information you need. You just need to take the time to find it.

Matt

Old 12-09-2007, 09:19 PM
cloud10
4th Gear
So, you had to give them a total of $2K before your order was even placed?? And they then said it wasn't refundable at that point??? That doesn't sound right either.

Its my understanding that the deposit is supposed to ALWAYS be refundable, even if you just change your mind once your custom ordered car arrives at the dealer.

It seems like some of these dealers just make up their own rules as they go instead of following set guidelines.
The paperwork says that the deposit is fully refundable up to the time you are contacted to specify your vehicle. When they specify the vehicle and "provide you with a Production Number Assignment at that point in time your deposit becomes Non-Refundable. In return, please be advised thate we guarantee the vehicle you order will be yours when it is delivered to our dealership and that it will be equipped as ordered...."

I believe it is done to protect them. As a business owner I have been burned with special orders that I would have to end up putting on Ebay to sell. I should have taken nonrefundable deposits on special orders. I imagine that they like to make up the specs for cars they plan to sell on the floor and as MINIS are so personalized it may take more time to sell someone else's specced car. Plus as they are allocated a certain amount each month, it would ensure that their special orders are picked up.

It might also prevent someone playing a game of ordering in several places to see which one arrived first and cancelling the other order. People are capable of all kinds of deceit so I am sure the policy arose from some sort of problem.

I was just happy that after a 2-year wait they didn't play any games with my position in line. They always acknowledged my spot in line when I went from No. 7 toi No. 4 to No. 1. I appreciate their honesty with me.