R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Clubman... Want vs Need

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 12:04 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Clubman... Want vs Need

I suspect one of the reasons some in the MINI-world express discomfort with the Clubman model comes from the fact that a bigger Mini/MINI just seems out-of-step with the very concept of a car called "MINI" in the first place. To them, the proportions of a larger variant seems out of whack. I'd submit that the original Clubman Estate/Traveller was born not so much out of looks only, but moreso out of utility.

So, do MINI Clubman owners (or soon to-be-owners) prefer them because they simply want a Clubman, or do they need a Clubman?? If so, why? Family? Recreation/hobbies? I know you like the looks, but then you all must like the looks of the coupe as well. Perhaps not all, though.

I think a car that is a MINI but has enhanced functional use is brilliant and surely drove the creation of the classic version. I was just curious what functions or preferences make the Clubman a necessity for you and your lifestyle.

BTW, if there ever was a Mini that was impractical, it must have been the poor Moke. But hey, we love it too right??

Old 01-03-2008, 12:24 PM
cloud10
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've wanted a MINI since BMW brought them out. But the size was impractical with 3 large dogs. It wasn't an issue when I could use my shop's Suburban for them, but with my husband's wheelchair lift taking up most of the back of the big car I decided it was time for the MINI for mileage and just for a great drive. Of course other cars could have worked, but already having the Sub, a Nissan Titan truck and a BMW 330 convertible (my fun car, but not to be left in a parking lot), I didn't want just another little SUV. I don't love the truck, but it was my husband's and now that he can't drive I can use it for hauling stuff.

The MINI satisfies my soul and the Clubman will be my reward for many years of 18-hour days. I put a deposit on it 2 years ago Jan. 4th and was committed to it long before the final design was released.
Despite many MINI people not liking it, it will work for me and it makes those long nights of proofreading technical books worth it.

I would love to have one of each MINI, but the Clubby will fit most of my needs. I'm planning on signing up for the future SAV too. It can't hurt to put my name on the list. There are so many large trucks and SUVs in Arizona, it is better to be a little bigger on the road.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:41 PM
Big Jim Swade
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm just suspecting that gas will hit $4.00 this Spring and I wanted something that gets better MPG than my Nissan Frontier does (18mpg). I ordered one on Dec.29th with delivery expected late March. The Clubman's more room only adds to the desire of it and I like having things others don't. I'll still keep my other 2 vehicles, but just add a Clubman for highway driving. Since there is no Mini Dealer in Idaho, mine should be quite rare thoughout the State.....

Old 01-03-2008, 12:45 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Someone once was asking if a Clubman (given that the front doors open so wide on all MINIs) would work for wheelchair use given it's extra carrying capacity. That'd be awesome if it would work for some folks!!

Old 01-03-2008, 01:09 PM
cloud10
4th Gear
Originally Posted by gokartride
Someone once was asking if a Clubman (given that the front doors open so wide on all MINIs) would work for wheelchair use given it's extra carrying capacity. That'd be awesome if it would work for some folks!!
I wish that would work for Rich's but he has to have a heavy duty chair that raises up so he can stand. He has muscular dystrophy and the past few months can no longer walk with canes even from front to back of car. Unfortunately he will never even sit in the Clubman because he can't get up from that low seat. He is helping me pay for some of the options though as he is so happy that I am finally getting one. He did get to sit in one in London in 2001 and loved it, even with his 6'6" frame.
Many years ago when he raced in SCCA he pointed out a MINI on the track and told me I should have one of them. I laughed at the time, but never realized I would fall in love with the cars. I had mostly admired them when the Beatles drove around London in their little Mini with the British flag roof. Oh for those old days....

Old 01-03-2008, 01:38 PM
astra
4th Gear
I am getting one because I need the extra haul capacity. I love my MCS.. but I am tired of trying to put way too much stuff in it...

Old 01-03-2008, 02:59 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We need the Clubman's extra rear door and added trunk space to accomodate our 1+ year baby boy.

We WANT the Clubman because we love MINIs and we refuse to go back to a boring sedan, suv or minivan just because we have a little one.

The Clubman will become the primary family car and roadtrip highway cruiser.

So far we have managed well with 2 MINIs for family duty. The Clubman is just going to make this duty even better.

Old 01-03-2008, 05:52 PM
KILRBEE
Neutral
I put a deposit on one in Oct. and just receiver my order number. Delivery should be in late march.

I want a cooper s until I saw the Clubman s. The Clubman has just a little additional room and the back doors are so handy. I just like the looks better and it's more convenient.

I ordered heavy on options except the sunroof.

The clubman will be my main car but, I have a cube van and a 4X4 diesel PU.

Happy New Year to all.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:45 AM
club(wo)man
3rd Gear
I can say I NEED the Clubman 'till I run out of reasons, but, to be real... after 80,000 extremely dependable miles in my Toyota Matrix, I'm bored. I got it because it wasn't a Corolla or a Camry and my Uncle worked at a dealership, so I got a great price.

This baby is going to be the first car I've ever bought new without getting a great deal. That's always been my rationale before. Now, I WANT a MINI. I have a good job and own my home (by "own" I mean have a huge amount of debt). I'm almost 30 and a year away from earning my Ed.D. I've worked hard. I deserve a MINI. I've earned it.

I choose to believe the hatch is too small for me. My friends are all pretty short, but I'm sure they wouldn't want to cram themselves into the backseat of a Cooper as much as they do my Matrix. So, If i think about them, I NEED a Clubman. I hate not driving; I try to hide the white knuckles and the anxiety I get when others drive... but, let's face it... not everyone has my skills.

Need it? If I'm to adopt the philosophy that multiple billboards for a particular car company I see every day during my hour-long commute into the depths of Los Angeles proclaim... "Love what you Drive"... then yes, I NEED it.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:33 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Originally Posted by club(wo)man
If i think about them, I NEED a Clubman
I'd think for anybody who regularly carries passengers the Clubman would be highly desirable....both for ease of getting in/out and for that extra legroom!!!

Old 01-04-2008, 08:46 AM
Clubmanbound
2nd Gear
I ordered one because I need something more practical. I don't one to sell what I currently drive, but it's paid off and I can pay off all my debt and only have a car payment, so some of the reason to buy the clubman is rationale. The car I currently drive is a Pontiac Solstice and I have a family. Its getting to a point with an 8 yr old to be a very inconvenient car. When I first got it I had a Nissan Murano and decided after 8 months with the Solstice to sell the Murano due to high equity in it. I have been able to survive with the Solstice since then but its time to say goodbye. I didn't want to go back to a SUV and didn't want something too small. I think the clubman will be perfect for me. The room to carry additional passengers or to put the back seats down and be able to carry a lot of cargo. Also, I wanted something easy on the environment.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:19 AM
ftttuhzbmcs
5th Gear
Mostly a want but partially a need. My wife has her RX350 and I had my CR-V along with my MC. My daughter was rapidly approaching driving age so the Clubman came out at the right time in order to pitch the sceme to my wife. The scheme of getting another new car/Mini that is. I told her that instead of two cars, I wanted one so that I could get our daughter a car. So on Dec 21st I traded in my MC for a Clubman. I traded my CR-V in a couple of weeks before and got my daughter her new car. Now I found out that the Crossman will be released in the next few years. That will be my next new car.

ftttu

Old 01-15-2008, 10:19 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
We may have Clubbies at the dealer this weekend!! I do believe I'll be paying them a visit!!!

Old 01-15-2008, 10:43 AM
ftttuhzbmcs
5th Gear
No way! I'm stuck out here in far West Texas so I'm not able to see them. I just received my status update of "transport to port of exit". It looks like about another month for me.

ftttu

Old 01-15-2008, 11:06 AM
T&CMCSa
4th Gear
Definitely need. We are getting rid of our Chrysler 300C, so we need a BIG car to replace it.

Old 01-16-2008, 12:25 PM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
About 1/2 and 1/2 for us. Mike really WANTS one and he really NEEDS the extra cargo space since his vehicle is his portable office.

We're hoping to have it by the launch date. It's already through the production process and should be at the port Friday (1/18) awaiting it's ship assignment - yayyy!!!

Donna

Old 01-16-2008, 04:14 PM
runninbeer
2nd Gear
I really want one.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:34 PM
club(wo)man
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Donna/Mike
About 1/2 and 1/2 for us. Mike really WANTS one and he really NEEDS the extra cargo space since his vehicle is his portable office.

We're hoping to have it by the launch date. It's already through the production process and should be at the port Friday (1/18) awaiting it's ship assignment - yayyy!!!

Donna
Maybe you'll make the Isolde and cruise with me!

Old 01-16-2008, 09:48 PM
ftttuhzbmcs
5th Gear
Club(wo)man, one other person in the Mini Owner's Lounge has one on the Isolde. I would love to make it but I bet mine is in a huge group of others trying to make it on. We will see.

ftttu

Old 01-16-2008, 11:21 PM
club(wo)man
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ftttubrgcm
Club(wo)man, one other person in the Mini Owner's Lounge has one on the Isolde. I would love to make it but I bet mine is in a huge group of others trying to make it on. We will see.

ftttu

who, clubbin'?... yeah, that's me. I think of dumb screen names and can't commit to one.

Old 01-17-2008, 12:03 PM
SeaJayAre
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ClubmanS
We need the Clubman's extra rear door and added trunk space to accomodate our 1+ year baby boy.
Ok, so the baby will be very small for the next few years.... it will fit thru the current door and in the current back seat and never even complain about foot/leg room...

What's the extra trunk space needed for?

I had to chime in on this one since it's used so often as an excuse for a larger vehicle... I can't see how it's valid....

Old 01-17-2008, 12:15 PM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Maybe you'll make the Isolde and cruise with me!
Maybe so! Still trying to find out something - probably won't know until tomorrow.... Ahoy Matey!!

Donna

Old 01-17-2008, 04:01 PM
ftttuhzbmcs
5th Gear
Club(wo)man, clubbin', whatever, I thought that was you from the description. Mine is waiting for a transport vessel. I still think your order will always be one step ahead of mine though. We can only see how this all unfolds.

ftttu
(Far too technical to understand)

Old 01-17-2008, 08:44 PM
club(wo)man
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ftttubrgcm
Club(wo)man, clubbin', whatever,
exactly. whatever. it's all part of my online identity crisis.

Hope you make the Isolde. I have faith. But, it will all even out when you and I are motoring in our hot new cars! (hundreds of miles apart, but still...)

Old 01-18-2008, 06:52 AM
Clubmanbound
2nd Gear
exactly. whatever. it's all part of my online identity crisis.

Hope you make the Isolde. I have faith. But, it will all even out when you and I are motoring in our hot new cars! (hundreds of miles apart, but still...)
Won't it be kind of cool that for a while at least that you will be the only one on the road driving a Clubman. I have a Pontiac Solstice (For 2.5 yrs) and I rarely see another one on the road), so I am hoping this will help when I try to sell it to get ready for my Clubman.

Quick Reply: R55 Clubman... Want vs Need