R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Possibly ordering a Clubman.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 07:25 AM
pmustang
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possibly ordering a Clubman.

Hey folks, After a long and hard search for a new car that doesn't put me into the poor house (I live in the UK and petrol is near 9 US dollars a gallon) I think the MINI clubman is it.

I realize the diesel makes the most sense but I think it takes away the fun factor of the car, I have had 2 identical cars, Ford Mondeo's and one was a petrol and one a diesel and the D is less fun than the petrol.

Can anyone give me any suggestions on the car? The S is of course what I want but I have to take into consideration the mileage per gallon and do I really need the S. OF COURSE I DO, but any suggestions you folks have would be most welcome.

Regards: Peter C (formerly of Florida USA now in Essex UK)

Old 01-20-2008, 09:03 AM
club(wo)man
3rd Gear
Lots of people explain that they got a Cooper because of the MPG and price difference. Others say they got the S because they didn't mind the extra cost and because the MPG difference is not really that much... this is particularly true if you compare the S to other "sports cars"... Perhaps the different bonnet styles that differentiate the two varieties had something to do with it...

If the D were an option here, i would have had to seriously consider it. I haven't paid much attention to it at all because we're not being provided that option. (no regenerative breaking or auto stop-start either...) I'd say, if you use the fuel saving features provided in the UK, maybe you can justify buying the S... make your heart happy!

Old 01-20-2008, 09:17 AM
lotsie
Banned
As I understand it, the regenerative braking and the auto stop-start will be available here about 1/2 way through the 08 model year.

As to whether to go with an S or not, I have driven both the 08 MC and MCS. My take, if your mostly driving around town, get the MC, as the extra power of the S is just that, extra. On a Clubman, I'm sure because of the extra weight an S may be the way to go. I'd test drive both, then decide.

Mark

Old 01-20-2008, 11:52 AM
pmustang
4th Gear
I have read a simply horrid review by Jeremy clarkson of Top Gear fame, It isn't just bad its downright horrid, I have to think on this one, He says the rearward visibility and road holding in the wet are downright dangerous. Bit scary.

The cars are so lovely thought, I saw a blue S and White non S, I would have driven out today if I could make the finance work.

thanks folks. Peter

Old 01-20-2008, 07:28 PM
Robsreef
2nd Gear
Watch what you read too. From what I understand and have read myself, Jeremy Clarkson is the only one that has completely ripped the Clubman. Of course, everyone can find some kind of flaw with any car. If it handles anything like the R56, which I've heard because of it's longer wheel base it actually handles a little better, I would not worry about handling in wet weather. As far as the rear visibility, I could see that being a little obstructed. The best would be for you to actually take one on a test drive to see just how much that obstructed view bothers you. We here in the states can't test drive one yet, but I'm predicting I'm going to love it. The Clubman will be our fourth MINI purchase. Heck, that rear visibility can't be any worse that my MCS Cabrio.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:45 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mr. Clarkson also ripped the MINI in general when it first came out as compared to the classic. His opinions are best taken as a collection of points, some agree, some contradict...most all entertain.

FWIW, the Cooper is capable of some superb mpg savings...more than the sticker would indicate. I'm still shocked as this generally tends to not be the case.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:28 PM
club(wo)man
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by lotsie
As I understand it, the regenerative braking and the auto stop-start will be available here about 1/2 way through the 08 model year

Mark
I'm disappointed that I'm not getting it. I write to MINIUSA to ask about a month ago, and they told me there we no plans as of then to bring it to the US. I think it'd be great to offer something like that here... Maybe I'll get that on my next-next mini... (AHH, the danger of future planning...!)

Old 01-20-2008, 10:17 PM
pmustang
4th Gear
Well I find out the trade in value of the RAV4 we have and go from there, He did a "sunday off the cuff" book value of 9k which is a bit less than the 16,500 we paid for it less than a year ago so interested to see what he says after I have now given him the reg number so he can look up the car in detail (over here a car is known by its reg or liscence plate number from birth to death unless someone puts a personalized plate on it, thus the dealer can use the lisc plate number to look up the whole story on the car from accident history (HPI) to model, color, year and engine type, Many thanks for the comments.

peter

Old 01-21-2008, 08:06 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by club(wo)man
I'm disappointed that I'm not getting it. I write to MINIUSA to ask about a month ago, and they told me there we no plans as of then to bring it to the US. I think it'd be great to offer something like that here... Maybe I'll get that on my next-next mini... (AHH, the danger of future planning...!)
Based on info posted in Motoringfile.com, there are no plans to offer the automatic engine cutoff and regen brakes for US spec MINIs at all.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:28 AM
pmustang
4th Gear
They are sticking at 9k for my rav4, Gotta pass for the time being, Bit too much of a loss and with the stock markets in free fall the wife and I have to hope that there are no job cuts or other nasties for us over here.

Thanks for the help folks, Peter

Old 01-21-2008, 10:54 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pmustang
They are sticking at 9k for my rav4, Gotta pass for the time being, Bit too much of a loss and with the stock markets in free fall the wife and I have to hope that there are no job cuts or other nasties for us over here.

Thanks for the help folks, Peter
Where in Florida did you use to reside? By the way, greetings from Miami (The epicenter of the housing bubble burst that is creating waves and ripples accross the world)

Old 01-21-2008, 11:35 AM
slbazz
Neutral
WT4

Old 01-21-2008, 12:03 PM
pmustang
4th Gear
I lived in Windermere Florida. Right in Orlando, Could hear the fireworks every night from Disney.

the housing problems are happening here as well, stock markets are down across asia and europe, tommorow is gonna be a nightmare on the US stockmarket, I figure at 500-700 point drop, bet it goes 1000 points down by friday.

not a good time to be buying a car or anything for that matter.

peter