R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Thoughts after seeing in person RE: Clubman ownership?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 06:13 AM
freez3
4th Gear
Location: United States of America, Ohio, Stark County, Uniontown
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those of you who are having a dificult time coming to grips with the Clubman... can you imagine a MINI SUV? Oh the horrors!

Old 01-28-2008, 06:27 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by freez3
can you imagine a MINI SUV? Oh the horrors!
I don't think we'll see one of these. An AWD SAV based on the Clubman seems more likely.

If anything, I would hope we'd learn to give lots of latitude to the new MINIs...once they're out they seem to be quite well done and very capable. Don't you all get tired of the childish angst and end-of-the-marque drama that seems to come with every new MINI tweek??? Sometimes I think we MINI owners are our own worst enemy.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:12 AM
raven14
Neutral
Originally Posted by ADAMSALTAMINI
Thank you again folks! The Lime Green would be AWESOME on any MINI and certainly might help the look of the Clubman as well.

I need people to understand that I don't dislike the Clubman, the idea of the Clubman etc. Many of you know I have had classic Mini's as well as new MINI's so I am a freak for these buggers. What I have mixed emotions about after having seen the car in person, is that while I can do many things to it, wheels, tires, go fast bits and the like, is that REALLY what the Clubman is all about? Like am I swimming upstream just for the sake of saying I did it?

ALTA is about performance handling, engine tuning, and other upgrades to improve upon the already brilliant MINI platform. But those relate to speed and agility. Is the Clubman a speed and agility machine trying to be released? Or is the Clubman content with being the quirky soul that it is? The MINI of SUV's.

Does that make any sense?
Adam,

this is my first post on this forum... I think the Clubman is indeed also targeted at the performance-interested individual. Me, I ordered a Clubman because it is has room for my 2 kids when I need it, but above all because it is 100% Mini, including the tunability (is that a word?). I very much look forward to enhance the performance of my soon-to-be Clubman Cooper S, gradually, on all levels. Reading up on forums in Belgium and Holland, here in Europe, many people who have ordered or have been delivered Clubmans think the same way.

Of course this doesn't provide you hard numbers on which you can base decisions, but I'm sure the Clubman will be of interest to the real Mini fan, and might even bring that fan back to Mini...

Old 01-28-2008, 09:13 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by GoMiniGo
Adam,

I think the clubman could be more of the sleeper of the family. Kind of like the those nasty BMW M station wagons. Alan
That's the first thing that came to mind when I looked at the Clubman, the BMW 3 series wagons. I've thought about one for my wife (she loves wagons). I'm not really thinking about one for me though. My question is this: if you want to mod a Mini for performance why would you choose a Clubman over a HB? I do like that look of the car (somewhat) but I think its major selling point is that it has more room, that's about it.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:01 AM
Jeff S.
3rd Gear
Adam, it appears that your soul is searching for an answer. Is it size or shape? From what you said, you haven't driven it yet so how can you judge it's real soul? I await more from you

As a matter of fact, I am impatiently awaiting week 9 production for a Clubman S (Hot Chocolate) and was about to ask you for help in making it "unique" Yes I will tint the windows and await a JCW body kit--but I am buying it for the street and want the go with the show.
I await your follow up and see where you take it --and me and my $$$$

Keep on reporting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-28-2008, 10:15 AM
pdflint
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I would strongly consider painting the rear light surrounds and the top of the rear bumper to match the body color. I haven't seen a color combination yet that I've really liked yet, although the CR/B is not bad.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:48 AM
GoMiniGo
Former Vendor
Here are pics of our color combo from one of our spanish brethen (Allminiworkshop.es):

Old 01-28-2008, 11:50 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I personally do not like the black C-pillar trim covers, that is why I ordered Hot Chocolate/Silver roof. Mine has been built as well and can't wait for it to be already mid-February!

Old 01-28-2008, 12:10 PM
jthorst75
3rd Gear
i love it the moment i saw it at last years frankfurt auto show and i want one. but of course my wife much rather have me trade in my r56 to get one. i told her that i would have to have both-- but who wouldn't say that. i have already built on on miniusa, just need to buy it!!

Old 01-28-2008, 01:40 PM
xBoXlOvEr
2nd Gear
Adam.. As Alan form Gominigo showed you, that's my Car... Im Nacho, from Madrid, ALLMINIWORKSHOP.

I've felt in love with the clubby when I saw it in the MINI Spain Headquarters in September... Now, Im so proud of have bought it 2 days later that day.

Everyone who see my clubman, tells me the same: its another world from see it in pics than in real person... People who judged me about the car when I told them that I had ordered one, now is faced everytime they see the car...

You have a good taste for cars as we all know and have seen... You will be very very happy with it.

In the fact of performance, I like it much more that the r56's... The clubman takes the corners better and faster than the r56's, and it is true... It more like a kart feeling than the r56; is much more r53 than the r56.

I have a friend/customer with a r53 JCW with superspint racing system, your intercooler v1.0 and many more stuff and we drag from 80 to 190 km/h and we were TWINS... this car is very , very fast...

Old 01-28-2008, 02:23 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Nacho, great comments. Saludos desde Miami!

Old 01-28-2008, 04:29 PM
paulsminis
4th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Make it a woody! Check my gallery.

Last edited by paulsminis; 01-28-2008 at 04:33 PM. Reason: adding
Old 01-28-2008, 05:52 PM
Vhyper
1st Gear
"My question is this: if you want to mod a Mini for performance why would you choose a Clubman over a HB?"

The same reason why i've ordered one, because it's different! & when you're wanting to create a modified version of something it's sometimes better not to follow the crowd because then you can show off your own vision of a car that not many people would have chosen it makes your car stand out from the crowd & makes it more unique!

Old 01-28-2008, 06:10 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ClubmanS
I ordered Hot Chocolate/Silver roof.
That will look amazing...I can't wait to see one.

Old 01-28-2008, 06:26 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Does the Clubman come with the same powertrain as the R56 ?

If so, how could it possibly corner better and how could it be faster ?

It's longer, and heavier. Doesn't compute.

Old 01-28-2008, 07:23 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
The suspension has been retuned, I know that much.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:28 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
OK! So here is the update!

I have POSTPONED the Clubman for a few months. I had a hunckering to build a car somewhat opposite of "Howard" Many of you followed the build, as I completed a car that was a sensible as any other car, yet went like stink and was damn pretty doing it. Had all the luxury features, great audio system, didn't jar your teeth a bit when cruising the motorway etc etc. So "Lloyd" as I have aptly named him for the time, is going to be different.

Club Sport Coilovers, Carbon Bits, Rear Seat Delete?, all of the NEW to be released ALTA items in addition to the old, race inspired front seats, large brakes, big anti roll bars, lightweight wheels and ultra grippy tires, etc. etc. BUT will still be able to be driven on the street. A sort of MCSGT3 (Like a Porsche GT3). So watch the build of "Lloyd" in the coming weeks and months. I expect to reveal him to our local and semi local folks at our grand opening on the 23rd of February!

Back to Clubman. I will be ordering ANOTHER Clubman shortly, but in a different color and option scheme that the previous one. I want to say what it is, (marketing won't let me!) but expect it to be FAR different than both Howard and Lloyd. A real TEAM effort on this one.

So don't fret, the Clubman will enter the ALTA stable, just not right away! We will have a proto car at our command beginning later in February, and a complete exhaust system will be made to match with other ALTA bits, ASAP. So don't fret, we have NOT left any of the Clubbies out!

Thank you to all who gave their feedback, and stay tuned for what is next!

Chat soon!

Old 01-28-2008, 08:29 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by xBoXlOvEr
Adam.. As Alan form Gominigo showed you, that's my Car... Im Nacho, from Madrid, ALLMINIWORKSHOP.

I've felt in love with the clubby when I saw it in the MINI Spain Headquarters in September... Now, Im so proud of have bought it 2 days later that day.

BEAUTIFUL color combo, Love the Laser Blue over the Black. Killer combo, glad you like it! Thanks for your business as always, and chat soon Nacho!

(Nacho is one of our dealers in Spain! Does a GREAT job and a real asset to the ALTA family of dealers!)

Old 01-29-2008, 02:58 AM
xBoXlOvEr
2nd Gear
Hehehe... Thanks Adam.

I forgot to congrat you about "that little new thing running in your home this days"...

Old 01-29-2008, 07:15 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by xBoXlOvEr
Hehehe... Thanks Adam.

I forgot to congrat you about "that little new thing running in your home this days"...
Thank you! Appreciate that! Chat soon!

Old 01-29-2008, 08:25 AM
miniemee
3rd Gear
It is my phobia, but I just cant get over the drivers side view. It is too long and slab sided. The vehicle looks like a shrunken down delivery van. The proportions are just wrong. To make it acceptable it needs stripes or accent or blacked out windows on the sides. Anything to break up the monotony.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:44 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Originally Posted by miniemee
The vehicle looks like a shrunken down delivery van.
Perhaps you should examine some more pics of the classic version!!!

Old 01-29-2008, 12:19 PM
racemor
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ADAMSALTAMINI
So don't fret, the Clubman will enter the ALTA stable, just not right away! We will have a proto car at our command beginning later in February, and a complete exhaust system will be made to match with other ALTA bits, ASAP. So don't fret, we have NOT left any of the Clubbies out!
This is good to know. We are expecting our new baby girl in April and have been trying to decide what to do about our '06 JCW. I hate to give it up and will try using it with a baby seat in the back for a while, but not sure my 41-year old back will appreciate the daily reaches.

So a Clubman is on the radar but I was reluctant to commit and lose the JCW performance I've gotten used to. If there will be aftermarket support for the Clubman I'm a lot more interested in purchasing.

Oh, and I dig the look of long roofed cars like the Clubman, A3 and BMW M Coupe. In fact, it would be the only post-R53 Mini I'd consider buying because it helps draw attention away from the re-styled nose and pseudo scoop. Just my $.02, I know there are a lot of R56 lovers out there.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:50 PM
xBoXlOvEr
2nd Gear
Racemor... You should wait til the Clubman Factory JCW

Old 01-29-2008, 02:58 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by racemor
This is good to know. We are expecting our new baby girl in April and have been trying to decide what to do about our '06 JCW. I hate to give it up and will try using it with a baby seat in the back for a while, but not sure my 41-year old back will appreciate the daily reaches.

So a Clubman is on the radar but I was reluctant to commit and lose the JCW performance I've gotten used to. If there will be aftermarket support for the Clubman I'm a lot more interested in purchasing.

Oh, and I dig the look of long roofed cars like the Clubman, A3 and BMW M Coupe. In fact, it would be the only post-R53 Mini I'd consider buying because it helps draw attention away from the re-styled nose and pseudo scoop. Just my $.02, I know there are a lot of R56 lovers out there.
We have a 15 month old baby boy and with 2 hardtop MINIs it has not been a problem at all. The best baby car seat for the MINI is the Britax Roundabout. When they ride rear facing, just open the hatchback and load the baby into the car seat from the back. Presto! the easiest and quickest way to do it! After 12 months, they start to ride forward facing. Putting the child in the rear seat of a R53 with the forward facing seat is not a problem. In fact much easier than a 4 door sedan! I am not giving up my '05 R53 S! In fact, we are getting a new Clubman S to add to the R53. My wife's R50 2002 Cooper is up for sale as we speak. Don't let the fact that the MINI has 2 doors scare you from allowing your baby to ride in it. The MINI is a surprisingly kid friendly car! You children will thank you for all the memories of riding aboard daddy's and mommy's MINI!

Quick Reply: R55 Thoughts after seeing in person RE: Clubman ownership?