R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Leatherette??

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008 | 12:37 PM
OH6
|
1st Gear
Leatherette??

I was at my MINI dealership yesterday....the Clubmans are not in yet, I know. Saw it at the Indy Auto Show and been building them in the configurator for a while now...just got a good news at work of a big bonu$ so I'm putting that toward my Clubman.

I'm ready to order - but have a question about the Leatherette...my MA says that it's the same as what I saw at the dealership (on the Cooper S) which was all black. Online in the Configurator it looks like it's black/gray. Can anyone help me with this?

I have searched the net looking for different pics and see the different pacific blue/hot chocolate/punched/leather lounge, etc...but nothing resembling the leatherette.

Thanks!!

Last edited by OH6; 02-03-2008 at 01:01 PM. Reason: .
Old 02-03-2008 | 08:13 PM
club(wo)man
3rd Gear
My dealer didn't have any cars on the lot with Leatherette, so I still don't know what it looks like. As soon as I saw/sat on the Lounge Leather, I didn't even care what else they had, I loved the look of the Carbon with white trim. It might be a big expense, but I think it'll be worth it in terms of enjoyment.

Old 02-03-2008 | 09:03 PM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Originally Posted by OH6
I was at my MINI dealership yesterday....the Clubmans are not in yet, I know. Saw it at the Indy Auto Show and been building them in the configurator for a while now...just got a good news at work of a big bonu$ so I'm putting that toward my Clubman.

I'm ready to order - but have a question about the Leatherette...my MA says that it's the same as what I saw at the dealership (on the Cooper S) which was all black. Online in the Configurator it looks like it's black/gray. Can anyone help me with this?

I have searched the net looking for different pics and see the different pacific blue/hot chocolate/punched/leather lounge, etc...but nothing resembling the leatherette.

Thanks!!
What you saw at the dealership is the correct color. The monitor you are viewing from, sometimes makes the colors look a bit different. We've had both the Leatherette and Leather - pleased with both. We opted for the Leatherette again this time in the Clubman, using the difference to pay for the JCW instead of Leather.

Whatever you choose, you'll be happy with..

Donna

Old 02-04-2008 | 06:16 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
We ordered leatherette as well. It was my impression that this is black/gray two tone leatherette seats and not plain black. Either way, I much prefer leatherette to leather or cloth.

Old 02-04-2008 | 11:05 AM
JeremyAZ
2nd Gear
Interior...

My father-in-law has a MCS with Sunroof and Leather and absolutely despises having both in Arizona because the mesh sunroof cover doesn't shielf the interior from the hot Arizona sun. With this info, I decided on the cloth--so your choice could depend on your locale.

Also, I saw the leatherette in person and it was very nice. It didn't detract from the Mini at all---my feeling is to put the $1500 towards other goodies.

Old 02-04-2008 | 02:41 PM
Jim Ray
4th Gear
Got the build sheet today in the mail on the Clubman.

Option K8E1 Grey/Carbon black leatherette seats.

We have modded the order to black leather

Last edited by Jim Ray; 02-04-2008 at 02:47 PM. Reason: inserted code for leatherette seats.
Old 02-09-2008 | 10:56 AM
OH6
|
1st Gear
I got to see the Leatherette today.

In case anyone else is wondering...I did get to see the leatherette on the Clubman I test drove today - it is black/gray, but very subtle. Can hardly tell the difference. So, it looks great!! Glad I did the leatherette.

Found out while I was there that I'm already in production...so it was too late to change my mind anyway.

Old 02-15-2008 | 07:00 PM
Aonach
3rd Gear
Hey Donna/Mike
How'd you swing the JCW Clubman? I thought the Stage I tuning kit won't be out until later in the year. Do you mean you are using the $ to pay for it later or am I missing something. I dont see it on the configurator...

Old 02-19-2008 | 06:18 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
The black/grey leatherette image on the MINI site does not look at all like the actual black/grey material on the Clubman seat. I was also very concerned by this photo, but the actual material has a very pleasing dark grey, not the stark contrast in the MINI site image. I think it's a very attractive material.

Old 02-19-2008 | 08:51 PM
Deutsch
3rd Gear
Can't go wrong with the ette; lasts longer and wears better over time. The cloth looks nice, but I'm more a textile guy and MINI doesn't have that on offer. Ette all the way!!!

Old 02-19-2008 | 09:22 PM
Chief_Charlie
4th Gear
Considering a Clubman, but..........

Thinking of ordering a Clubman S, but I'm "stumped" by the seat choice. Not so much the look of the leatherette seats, but their design. For that matter, the design of all the R56 seats.

In our 04 MCS cars, we have Leatherette, and found it to be a great choice for look, wear, and especially comfort. When ordering my wife's R56 MCS coupe last July, we opted for the Punch Black Leather because I was put off by the two-tone blk/gray Leatherette seats. And what I discovered on our cross-country jaunt from Classic MINI to Santa Clara, CA was that the seats weren't comfortable, especially while driving.

I found that the newer seat design doesn't provide the same leg/thigh support at the front of the seat as those in the 04 cars. Looking at the two, (haven't measured as yet) it appears that the front of the newer seats is lower than the R53 models. There is a noticible difference when you sit in one and then the other. After about a 1/2 hour behind the wheel of the R56 my legs start to feel the lack of support, and driving becomes more of a chore. It's as if the rear portion of the seat cushion can't be lowered enough to support the bottoms of your legs.

Anyone else notice this difference? Or is it just me...............................

Charlie

Old 02-19-2008 | 09:23 PM
im1hapa
2nd Gear
The only thing about leatherette and cloth is that they do not come with lumbar support, which is only available on the leather and leather/cloth combo options. If you plan on doing long road trips, this could be an issue as I have heard people complain of back fatigue/numbness due to the lack of support in that area.

Old 02-20-2008 | 07:07 AM
ftttuhzbmcs
5th Gear
I think one reason to get leather is that it has lumbar support feature. The cloth and leatherette, I hear, don't come with it.

Old 02-20-2008 | 07:34 AM
ltlr-n-u
3rd Gear
i ordered the leatherette cause its whats in my 05, didnt want cloth because i dont care what anyone else says...cloth is hard to keep clean

Old 02-20-2008 | 07:37 AM
Chief_Charlie
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ftttubrgcm
I think one reason to get leather is that it has lumbar support feature. The cloth and leatherette, I hear, don't come with it.
We've got the lumbar support in two of our other R53 MINIs and have never used it... The problem isn't the back support...it's the lower front edge of the seat.

Old 02-22-2008 | 06:18 PM
Copywrites
3rd Gear
leather vs vinyl

There is very little difference in color on the leatherette. Basically very, very dark gray, and very dark gray. It is a reasonable quality vinyl. But I went with leather as I plan to keep this car beyond 5 years. I've owned vinyl on a couple of cars, and 5 years seems to the the max life before seams start to fray, tear, etc. Also I got the heat seat option and wonder how vinyl will hold up to the cycle of cold temperature/quick warmup.

BTW. You can get punch leather on the standard seat. It is not necessary to upgrade to the sport seats. Personally, I preferred the standard seat shape vs. the sport seat.

Old 02-22-2008 | 06:53 PM
NJP
3rd Gear
We have the all leather seats w/lumbar support & its great, does a great job at supporting my back. NJP

Old 02-22-2008 | 08:00 PM
elprofe
5th Gear
I think it's charcoal gray.

Old 02-22-2008 | 09:05 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Leatherette wears so much better than leather overtime. Hence the reason MINI #4 was ordered with leatherette again!

Old 02-22-2008 | 10:02 PM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Originally Posted by Aonach
Hey Donna/Mike
How'd you swing the JCW Clubman? I thought the Stage I tuning kit won't be out until later in the year. Do you mean you are using the $ to pay for it later or am I missing something. I dont see it on the configurator...
Sorry for the late reply on this. I just saw your post.

When we originally ordered the Clubman, our MA told us the JCW would be available. Well - that didn't happen.

About a month ago, he was told by MINIUSA that now they aren't sure WHEN the JCW will be ready for the Clubman. The main reason being - are you ready? SOMEBODY FORGOT that the Clubman is a little longer and they didn't make the exhaust long enough! Hum....interesting......

There were 100 vehicles (not Clubmans) tied up at the ports for over 2 months, awaiting their JCW kits. They were just released last week.... So something that we are not being made aware of , is going on behind the scenes.

Donna