R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Show us your pictures of your R55 (Clubman) here

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 09:31 AM
ewik
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last Thursday I traded in my 98 GTi VR6 for a 2009 clubman. I had many good years with the GTi and drove it hard but the time had come for me to be more practical. I really wanted the Clubman S but my wife said I needed to keep my loan to 25k or less and she thought the S did not get good enough gas milage (she wanted a prius). I have now put almost 300 miles on the new mini and while it does not get up and go like the GTi or the S that I test drove It is still fun to drive and I am liking the gas milage

Old 10-13-2008, 09:32 AM
ewik
Neutral
Oh yea forgot to mention the reason for being practical is we just had a baby. so the clubman was cool, fun to drive, and the baby seat is not to bad to get in and out of the back seat.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:51 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by HTClubman
Rally - nice HC pictures! Looks like it would be a stiff ride, though.
Nah

It's actually much more comfortable and softer than stock. It's a suspension I developed myself, it's got far more travel than stock so there's no bumpstop contact, and the spring rates and ride height are adjustable at the flip of the button so I get to determine the ride comfort. It's nice and smooth no stiffness here.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:55 AM
HTClubman
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Rally@StanceDesign
Nah

It's actually much more comfortable and softer than stock. It's a suspension I developed myself, it's got far more travel than stock so there's no bumpstop contact, and the spring rates and ride height are adjustable at the flip of the button so I get to determine the ride comfort. It's nice and smooth no stiffness here.
Good to know. It's 'adjustable at the flip of a button"? - is your HC on hydrolics?!

I'm no car expert (clearly!), but looking at how lowered it is, just makes me think the ride has to be stiff. Glad you're happy with it!

Old 10-13-2008, 09:58 AM
HTClubman
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ewik

Last Thursday I traded in my 98 GTi VR6 for a 2009 clubman. I had many good years with the GTi and drove it hard but the time had come for me to be more practical. I really wanted the Clubman S but my wife said I needed to keep my loan to 25k or less and she thought the S did not get good enough gas milage (she wanted a prius). I have now put almost 300 miles on the new mini and while it does not get up and go like the GTi or the S that I test drove It is still fun to drive and I am liking the gas milage
You made a good decision NOT getting the Prius. Our friends just bought one (to be hip and 'environmentally friendly' - whatever) and it goes 40 mph off a cliff...We however, chose the fun, sassy Clubman - which does get good mileage and is far from boring. And we have a 7 year old who is freakishly tall and she fits just fine! Glad you 'won' the car decision in your household!

Old 10-13-2008, 10:37 AM
Reldieh
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Joep
BTW, where in MS do you live? My wife was born and raised in Cleveland, MS.
I don't even know where that is, lol. I'm on the Coast.

Ooh, and "Cruisin' the Coast" is going on right now! My favorite time of year

Old 10-13-2008, 10:39 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by HTClubman
Good to know. It's 'adjustable at the flip of a button"? - is your HC on hydrolics?!

I'm no car expert (clearly!), but looking at how lowered it is, just makes me think the ride has to be stiff. Glad you're happy with it!
It's sorta like hydraulics....but without the liquid. Instead of pumping liquid into hydraulics, it's pumping air into custom springs. Much like many of the luxury vehicles like the Mercedes or Audi A8's and some SUVs like the VW Touraeg and Audi All Road.

I had just gotten tired of the stiff ride on my last slammed cooper, so i worked to get some custom struts that would be more comfortable on the back

Old 10-13-2008, 10:56 AM
Joep
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Reldieh
I don't even know where that is, lol. I'm on the Coast.

Ooh, and "Cruisin' the Coast" is going on right now! My favorite time of year
Cleveland is up in the delta, near clarksdale. Northwest part of the state.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:23 AM
HTClubman
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Rally@StanceDesign
It's sorta like hydraulics....but without the liquid. Instead of pumping liquid into hydraulics, it's pumping air into custom springs. Much like many of the luxury vehicles like the Mercedes or Audi A8's and some SUVs like the VW Touraeg and Audi All Road.

I had just gotten tired of the stiff ride on my last slammed cooper, so i worked to get some custom struts that would be more comfortable on the back

Good for you! I don't like a stiff ride.

We're putting a subwoofer and amp in that little space in the back .

Old 10-13-2008, 03:06 PM
ebh
2nd Gear
Here are some picks of my PW/S/S. I have a few more in the PW thread: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...&postcount=438

Old 10-13-2008, 03:39 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Very nicely done and love that name! Your interior is beautiful!

Old 10-13-2008, 04:18 PM
Wolfeee
6th Gear
Whitechocolatespaceegg is beautiful!!!

Old 10-13-2008, 04:43 PM
Joep
6th Gear
ebh,

Whitechocolatespaceegg is sweet. I never thought I'd like PW/S with the silver sport stripes but man that is really nice!

Old 10-13-2008, 06:31 PM
LadyGodiva
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ebh,

Your Whitechocolatespaceegg is totally stunning!

Old 10-13-2008, 07:42 PM
lurch70
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the PW/S is such a great looking combo!

Old 10-13-2008, 09:04 PM
jointheclubman
2nd Gear
PW/S is suh-weet!

Old 10-14-2008, 06:09 AM
jbobp
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by kathyinasheville

I'm probably one of the few here as excited about the pic of the GH as the MCCs! I pick up my Hot Chocolate w/Blk trim MCC this afternoon. As soon as I get the plates transferred it will carry "GREYHND2" on the back. My other MC (2004, Chili Red w/Blk trim) carries "GREYHND1" on the back.

Have to ask - are you able to fit a dog crate in the back that is large enough to carry a GH? I've used a Giant-sized Dogloo carrirer but don't expect it to fit. I'm hoping I can go down a size or two in crate but still comfortably carry my GH. Since I'm down to 1 GH and don't need to carry 2 crates in the car any longer I'm getting rid of an Olds Silhouette for the MCC.

Here's a pic of my 5-year-old female, Jenny, in her favorite pose:
You have Greys; can your Greys standup in the back of your Clubman with the seats folded down?

Old 10-14-2008, 06:13 AM
moe-jiller
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Otra
moe-jiller, I really like the way the PW/PW looks with those rails, and definitely would have taken it and been glad to either wait for the replacement headliner or, even more likely, been glad to save that extra $. I can't imagine waiting all over again. However, different strokes for different folks, as they say.
Otra, Thanks for the encouragement. The only offering so far is take it as is or get back in line. I don't think I'm up for either of those two options. Different strokes indeed.

Old 10-14-2008, 06:20 AM
Otra
6th Gear
So, I'm guessing that you're going to go a non MINI route, then - or, possibly, buy one privately?

Old 10-14-2008, 08:46 AM
moe-jiller
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Otra
So, I'm guessing that you're going to go a non MINI route, then - or, possibly, buy one privately?
As ordered this was my retirement 'Harley'. As such my requirements and expectations were apparently to high. Whether I reorder another R55 or research other, I'm basically back to square one. I am not complaining about this circumstance - I only posted the original pictures cause there are not many photos of Roof Rails on actual cars, - yet.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:57 AM
Otra
6th Gear
Thanks, moe-jiller and I really do understand - you want your "Harley" to be what you are after. Promise, if you do stick with the MINI fold that you'll let us know what's coming next.

P.S. And for me, especially, I do appreciate seeing those roof rails. If I'd been able to see them in a photo on a body colored roof, I might well have gone in that direction myself.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:04 AM
Bernard_1962
3rd Gear
pic just 'found'

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1206603283
Taken about two weeks ago with Blackberry & I just found it this A.M.
* quality is just "ok"

Old 10-14-2008, 10:38 AM
rasputinj
4th Gear
Originally Posted by moe-jiller
Otra, Thanks for the encouragement. The only offering so far is take it as is or get back in line. I don't think I'm up for either of those two options. Different strokes indeed.
What dealership is this? I think you should go to another dealership if you are to order another R55. Just seems like terrible customer service. I can see taking it but they need to fix the headliner. You should write a letter to the Sales Manager and another compliant letter to MiniUSA.

That really sucks.

Old 10-14-2008, 11:25 AM
Wolfeee
6th Gear
Why reject the car if it was ONLY that the headliner was wrong?? That can easily be replaced.. just my opinion...

Last edited by Wolfeee; 10-14-2008 at 11:55 AM.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:32 AM
LordRybo
Seat To Wheel Spacer
Originally Posted by Wolfeee
Why reject the car if it was ONLY the that headliner was wrong?? That can easily be replaced.. just my opinion...
I have to agree. This is a changable option. It's not like they forgot to put the Turbo engine in the car or something.

Quick Reply: R55 Show us your pictures of your R55 (Clubman) here