R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 I didn't take delivery of my Clubman

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 10:02 AM
tim781996
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do they let you do silver and silver?

Old 02-20-2008, 10:28 AM
Skye2
3rd Gear
You can do a sparkling silver body with silver roof and C pillars but not the pure silver with silver C pillars.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:48 PM
club(wo)man
3rd Gear
Split rear door photos

On my first day with my Clubman, I realized I hadn't taken any pictures yet and shortly afterward found myself sitting in traffic... so I thought I'd take some pictures of the rear-view mirror for ya.

Now that I've put a little over 400 miles on the car, I don't really notice the rear pillar unless I 'm paying specific attention, and I haven't had a problem seeing anything, even today in the rain.

Attached Thumbnails I didn't take delivery of my Clubman-rearview1.jpg   I didn't take delivery of my Clubman-rearview2.jpg   I didn't take delivery of my Clubman-rearview3.jpg  
Old 02-21-2008, 10:09 AM
Skye2
3rd Gear
Hi and thanks for the photos.

Old 02-21-2008, 10:15 AM
Miniman3
1st Gear
I picked up mine Yesterday! I'm a first time Mini owner and very happy with the Clubman! I moved from a Lexus SUV and was a littled worried about moving to a small car. Especially being 6' tall. But no problem! It's fun to drive again!

Old 02-21-2008, 11:44 AM
tim781996
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Miniman3
I picked up mine Yesterday! I'm a first time Mini owner and very happy with the Clubman! I moved from a Lexus SUV and was a littled worried about moving to a small car. Especially being 6' tall. But no problem! It's fun to drive again!
You'll love the "Hey, I love your car" looks you'll get, as opposed to the "You're killing the planet" looks you used to get. And, you'll like the fact that you won't be spending as much at the pump... per mile anyway. You're likely to love the car so much, that you'll want to drive it everywhere you'd normally fly.

Anyone know when that bridge to Hawaii is supposed to be done?

Old 02-21-2008, 11:56 AM
Miniman3
1st Gear
Originally Posted by tim781996
You'll love the "Hey, I love your car" looks you'll get, as opposed to the "You're killing the planet" looks you used to get. And, you'll like the fact that you won't be spending as much at the pump... per mile anyway. You're likely to love the car so much, that you'll want to drive it everywhere you'd normally fly.

Anyone know when that bridge to Hawaii is supposed to be done?

I know what you mean! I have already been getting those looks! Especially from the young ladies! Loving it! The gas savings (among other reasons) was a contributing factor to my decision to make the change!

Old 02-22-2008, 06:44 AM
mwbflip
Neutral
Originally Posted by astra
I went PW with the pillars in Silver...

it's all getting repainted...

artic white... with a BRG roof
I am very curious to see how the PW looks with the silver. I hope you post some pics before you paint it too!!

Old 02-22-2008, 08:04 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by club(wo)man
On my first day with my Clubman, I realized I hadn't taken any pictures yet and shortly afterward found myself sitting in traffic... so I thought I'd take some pictures of the rear-view mirror for ya.

Now that I've put a little over 400 miles on the car, I don't really notice the rear pillar unless I 'm paying specific attention, and I haven't had a problem seeing anything, even today in the rain.
Thank you so much for the photos. Rear visibility is not bad at all. Here counting the days before I can get the keys to ours...

Old 02-22-2008, 03:13 PM
cixuru
2nd Gear
The back split is completely unnoticable to me while driving - it's more of a transparency fade-out similar to the graduated tinting at the top of a windshield. I did some parallel parking and tail-in parking in a cramped lot with no problems. Besides, the mirrors are well placed, the overall visibility of the car is good, and the little beast is so small it would be tough to have an errant object behind you and not see it.

My Vote: The only danger would be an extremely tall skinny person on an extremely tall skinny bike driving at precisely the same speed, acceleration and trajectory as the MINI driver.

Old 02-22-2008, 03:39 PM
muladesigns1
6th Gear
I am a little confused about some of the reasons why people didnt care for the clubman.
One person claimed that if they looked in there rearview mirror they had a blind spot from the door posts and therefore could not see a motorcycle behind them
Does it matter? I mean if you are going to turn (using your signsl i assume) then wouldnt the bike placement not even matter? after all its behind, not next to you. and the rider would see your signal.
And to all others who are worrying about a line of vision that does not distract you from seeing what is on the road, it is more of something to get used to rather then a safety issue. your c pillars have more of a blind spot on them, oh and if you want a really bad blind spot, drive a new dodge p/up truck. the windshield pillar is sooo wide that the front of the vehicle actually has a blind spot!
Personally, I think the clubman is a cool vehicle for its intended purpose. To have a family that otherwise could not have enough room in a cooper have the opportunity to own one. is it a performance vehicle?no. is it cool as a mini van/ hell yea. it, like the mini, has a style all its own. an thats what its all about in this cookie cutter world!

Old 02-22-2008, 05:16 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, some folks car-buying decisions are based upon the number of cupholders, at least the restricted rear-view complaint is driving-related. It was no big deal to me, but if someone's not comfortable with this issue, then that's their choice.

Old 02-22-2008, 06:55 PM
ftttuhzbmcs
5th Gear
Miniclubman, the cupholders actually are functional in my Clubbie. Who knows why they made them so close to the center stack in my '05. But the blind spot is no problem. I actually like it when there are bright lights behind me. Also, you just move your head a little side to side and you see anything behind you if you want.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:18 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
I actually wasn't commenting on the Clubman cupholders, and I honestly couldn't tell you if a Clubman has them, as I don't drink and drive. When I got my 325 wagon a few years back, I took out the cupholder compartment and replaced it with the euro-option sliding tray compartment.
I learned all of my driving skills from songs by the Doors: "Keep your eyes on the road and your hands upon the wheel".

Old 02-22-2008, 07:24 PM
ftttuhzbmcs
5th Gear
I saw you eyeing those cupholders. We all now know of your once secret cupholder fettish. You have been outed! No, you brought up cupholders so I used this forum to say that I was happy with the '08's as compared to the worthless '05's.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:29 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
Yes, it's my secret fetish. I'm going down to AutoZone first thing tomorrow to get those plastic cupholders that hang on the door frames, maybe two or three per door. You can't have too many cupholders!

Then it's off to 7-11 for half-dozen big gulps to hang from those cupholders!

Old 02-22-2008, 09:01 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The European autoreviewers seem to have more beefs with the Clubman than anyone else. The car has had a very good reception in the US.