R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 MINI Link Hitch System On A Clubman?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 08:24 PM
Copywrites
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MINI Link Hitch System On A Clubman?

Does anyone know if the Mini Link Hitch system is compatible with the Clubman? I don't care if the barn doors would be blocked, I just want to carry a couple of bikes every once and a while.

Last edited by Copywrites; 02-22-2008 at 06:11 PM.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:41 PM
astra
4th Gear
Not Yet

Old 03-12-2008, 04:29 PM
kbleicher
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Please let me know if you find a solution; I'm looking for the same.....

Old 03-12-2008, 04:43 PM
A&Rsclubman
Neutral
hitch for clubman?

Here's what I found....when I looked under the Clubman section
http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coop...port-link.html
and http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coop...tachments.html

I'm not sure about these and I'm starting with the "Mini factory roof rack system"....when we get our Clubman in a week or so.....

Old 03-12-2008, 04:48 PM
kbleicher
4th Gear
Thanks for the fast reply!

I already have a Yakima hitch-mounted bike carrier from another car, so I'm looking for a full size hitch that'll fit the Clubman-S. Doesn't have to tow anything; just hold the carrier...

Old 03-24-2008, 07:31 AM
Copywrites
3rd Gear
I just received word from Outmotoring that a version of the Mini Fini Sports Link II is being developed for the Clubman and should be ready in a couple of months.

Line forms behind me.......

Old 03-24-2008, 07:45 AM
Alto Clef
2nd Gear
I contacted both MiniFini and MiniDoMore about this, and Brent from MiniDoMore quickly wrote back to tell me he hopes to have a solution available for the Clubman by May!

Old 03-24-2008, 08:07 PM
pyskacz
3rd Gear
This is great news! Bike season is almost here (for the folks that don't want to bundle up)!

Old 03-25-2008, 07:39 AM
kbleicher
4th Gear
I already have a trailer-hitch mountable bike rack from another car, so the only thing I'd need on the MINI is the hitch itself. I took a look at the kit and it looks cool, but by the time you add the hitch attachment it really starts to add up.

Is the MINI's ground clearance too low to take a regular hitch? Do you have to go with something like these that brings the hitch above the trim level?

Old 07-31-2008, 02:32 PM
Duncan Maio
1st Gear
Mini-Fini says they should have the Sport-link for the Clubman in mid-August.

Old 07-31-2008, 02:56 PM
kbleicher
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Duncan Maio
Mini-Fini says they should have the Sport-link for the Clubman in mid-August.
Yeah, saw them at MTTS in Chicago (well, Wisconsin really). Looks good but it's not cheap....

Old 07-31-2008, 05:14 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm on the list to get one but i have been told that it may be mid September.

I am hoping that it is sooner than that but most of the summer is gone now so if it ends up being next spring that is okay with me.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:38 PM
zeddy
2nd Gear
Mini-Fini has posted that they are taking pre-orders for their Clubman hitch system:
http://minifini.com/ShopDetail.aspx?id=29
but it's $475, about $150 more than the other minifini models and from the pictures it doesn't look compatible with the existing attachments (bike, ski, tow, etc) as they mount at the level of the ports on the sport-link, but it looks like attachments for the Club-link sit below the ports. There are 90 degree angles on the system in the pictures. Presumably so not to block the license plate.
I guess it's possible that the Clublink itself has ports that poke thru the bumper next to the license plate and that it comes with a modifier that sits below the outside of the bumper. But you can't tell because the website doesn't have pictures of the "naked" Club-link.

And it weighs quite a bit more (28lbs vs 20lbs).

Is this new system not compatible with their original attachments (for those of you that might already own them)?

So $475 for the Club-link and then $300+ for each attachment.
Does this strike others as crazy-expensive?

Last edited by zeddy; 08-05-2008 at 07:31 AM.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:47 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by zeddy
Mini-Fini has posted that they are taking pre-orders for their Clubman hitch system:
http://minifini.com/ShopDetail.aspx?id=29
but it's $475, about $150 more than the other models and from the pictures it doesn't look compatible with the existing attachments (bike, ski, tow, etc) as they mount at the level of the ports on the sport-link, but it looks like attachments for the Club-link site below the ports. There are 90 degree angles on the system in the pictures. Presumably so not to block the license plate.
I guess it's possible that the Clublink itself has ports that poke thru the bumper next to the license plate and that it comes with a modifier that sits below the outside of the bumper. But you can't tell because the website doesn't have pictures of the "naked" Club-link.

And it weights quite a bit more (28lbs vs 20lbs).

Is this new system not compatible with their original attachments (for those of you that might already own them)?

So $475 for the Club-link and then $300+ for each attachment.
Does this strike others as crazy-expensive?
After speaking with them early last week i found that the attachments for the Sport-Link/Sport LinkII are not usable on the Club-Link system.

The reason for this is that the spacing on the Sport Link systems is to wide and would not fit well on the clubman because of the shape of the bumper, The holes would have had to have been cut in the turn back from th e bumper to the license plate area. it would have made the holes just about impossible to cut and have it look good. SO they opted to move the ports closer together and have them come out thru the flat spots on each side of the license plate. This make it so that you can not put a euro license plate on the clubman easily.

Yes it is rather expensive, but what other choice do we have at this point.

A OEM rack from Europe is even more expensive at over $700 (at current exchange rates) and over $500 for shipping to get one here. So for a total of $1200.00 for OEM plus accessories. Also note that the OEM only omes with a ball attachment and will not accept the standard US type of 1-1/4" or 2" receiver style accessories. BTW the OEM hitch if fitted at the factory has different rear springs in the suspension as well. These are not provided in the pricing above, they would be extra cost.

Th original Sport Link weighed in at 37 lbs and in the redesign they cut the weight to 20 lbs for the Sport Link I and the Sport Link II. At 28 lbs it will make a difference but again it all come down to what it takes to make it fit. As for the OEM hitch it weighs in at about 49 lbs.

As for the MiniDoMore hitch we are all still waiting. I have tried to call them a couple of time but not gotten a response to my call about the hitch for the clubman.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:37 AM
MINIFINIMAN
Former Vendor
Thanks for the interest in our solution for the Clubman, the "ClubLink" The unit shown at MTTS Chicago/Wisc. was a fourth generation prototype and we have since lightened it down to 25 Lbs yet not compromised strength. Yes I will be posting photos soon but this design is very innovative and I'm not ready to divulge it for broad distribution. As with the current "SportLink"
the design is very robust and more than capable of exceeding the recommended limits. Your safety is our primary concern as well as the assurance that these components will not damage your car. To help compensate for the increased cost of the unit we have developed a new component based approach so that the attachment base can be purchased once and most of the other attachments will bolt to it and can be easily interchanged. Additional bases can be bought separately for convenience.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:36 AM
kbleicher
4th Gear
I love the concept but there's just no way I can justify $800+ to haul a couple of bicycles....

If you're using this product to do more than that it's viable...

Old 08-05-2008, 08:31 AM
zeddy
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by kbleicher
I love the concept but there's just no way I can justify $800+ to haul a couple of bicycles....

If you're using this product to do more than that it's viable...
I agree. When I look at the Yakima hitch bike carriers for $175-$230 for the Big Horn or DoubleDown (non-foldable or foldable dual-arm bike carriers) and the $200 HitchSki which attaches to the bike carrier and thus the hitch mount I like those solutions and I like that those prices are similar to roof rack attachment prices.
Then I compare it to the mini-fini Ski-Link attachment for $408 ($353 for rack and $55 for shipping) and their bike rack for $376 ($348 for rack and $28 for shipping) and I'm blown away by the prices. Especially when added to the $475+ $27shipping for the base Club-link.
I guess I could get the mini-link tow hitch attachment and use the Yakima components but it's still another $340 for that hitch on top on the Club link.

I also can't tell if the what MiniFini refers to as "...developed a new component based approach so that the attachment base can be purchased once and most of the other attachments will bolt to it and can be easily interchanged. Additional bases can be bought separately for convenience...." ----is this equivalent to what I referred to above as a "modifier" that would be external to the bumper and allow existing mini-fini components to fit the Club-link?? Is it sold separate from the Club-link or is it included in the price???

With minidomore hitches being $325 (including shipping) I hope they come out with a Club-hitch soon. Half the minifini price to get a 1.25" tow hitch attached to your car and then can use the Yakima components which are also half the minifini price.
I guess it is more wait-and-see for a gear carrying solution.