R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 New to Mini's

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 02:46 PM
Brussolino
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to Mini's

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post, and I have never owned a Mini, but I am seriously considering the clubman for my next car. I currently drive a Dodge Magnum RT wagon. I consider myself a "driver" in every sense of the word. I love to drive. Now I still have 2 years left on my current loan, but pay through the nose for gas as the Magnum gets about 20 mpg. As an accountant I ran a schedule to figure out the total costs over the next 5 years on both cars (assuming I pay off the dodge in 2 years/and or get a 5 year for the mini)

I think I will end up saving money, as I plan to put down 5-7 g's and finance 20-23? I would end up saving money in the short run, as my monthly would be less, and fuel costs would drop...And I could always pay it down faster with the savings. My dodge is a 75,000 miles and the tranny was destroyed, So that just got replaced with a brand new one...I have no more warranty left, and I am worried this car will cost me in repairs over the next 5 years.

I am thinking I want the Clubman S, but is it really that much different form the base? Am I going to regret not getting the S, as someone who loves to drive, and enjoys good "pickup"?
The 4,000 in difference in the models could easily be spent on many of the avaliable options...

Am I missing any costs, not factored in to this schedule? I have had an awful experience with this car, and will not buy american again, and I want to get better MPG's, this car seems to be perfect for what I am looking for.

What options are a must for someone who loves to "drive"? I am pretty much decided on a stick, and I need a sunroof. I also love the look of the dark rims on this car...I have been toying around with the build option.

Decisions, decisions...

Sorry for the long winded post, I am running out of work as I type.

I look forward to any opinions/advice on my current situation.

Thanks,
Brian

Attached Files
File Type: doc
Car.doc (23.5 KB, 67 views)
Old 02-26-2008, 02:54 PM
tony1athome
3rd Gear
Hi Brian,

Welcome aboard. Yes, you definitely want the S. No question about it, IMHO.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:33 PM
Brussolino
1st Gear
Also, is there any extendable warranty plan for the Mini's? After my previous experiences, I think I want more than the 4/50,000.

So its worth it to splurge on the S, rather than spending the extra 4,000 elsewhere, and juicing up a regular?

Old 02-26-2008, 04:47 PM
Miniman3
1st Gear
Go with the S! You will enjoy it far more being a driver! I absolutely love my car!

Old 02-26-2008, 04:50 PM
liveSTRONG
3rd Gear
I think you'll also make out better in the end interms of resale (less depreciation with the MINI). Hope you end up getting one...it'll change the way you feel about driving!

Old 02-26-2008, 05:05 PM
Brussolino
1st Gear
whats the deal with the JCW ones on here, should I just wait for that and get a few interior upgrades? pricing looks to be low?

Old 02-26-2008, 05:10 PM
tony1athome
3rd Gear
JCW is for folks that want even more performance AND a warranty. For me, my Mini is a daily driver and I've got other things to do than tinker with my car.

Waiting for the stage II JCW is for folks who want even more power than the stage I, and have a whole lot of patience.

Old 02-26-2008, 05:10 PM
tim781996
6th Gear
Drive both cars and see which one you like better. The MA won't have any problem with you opening it up... they encourage that sort of thing.

I understand where you're coming from with your Dodge issues. I had an Intrepid a few years back, and the tranny was replaced at 38K. Never again. But the whole "American" vs. "Foreign" line is blurred these days anyway. I'd venture to guess a whole bunch of your car was made in Mexico. Anyway, that's a whole other subject.

The only extra costs, other than your options, you need to take into account are the premium gas requirements and the required synthetic oil changes, but even that's minor. I don't know what they cost, but I do recommend getting an extended service plan if you plan on keeping the car longer than 4 years or 50K. I think MINIs are generally more reliable than Dodge, Ford, or Chevy, but they're not Toyotas. Most of us don't care about that though, since all the pleasure we derive from driving and looking at the car offsets the little issues that may come up. That being said, it's way more expensive to fix a MINI than a Dodge. I'm very careful about where I take the car, and I try to use the dealer for as much as possible. Even something as simple as an oil change could prove challenging to the guy a Jiffy Lube. I took my 04 to a Nissan dealer for an oil change (where I was having my other car serviced since my MINI dealer is 70 miles away), and they screwed it up. All the oil leaked out immediately, and I had to take a rental car home. Never again.

Anyway, as far as options go. you'll want to get the premium package for the sunroof, sound, and climate control. Get the convenience package if you like gadgets, and get the cold weather package if you live in a cold weather state. Get the xenon headlights if you drive a lot at night. Get the front & rear fog lights for extra coolness and extra gadgets.

I'm not into the whole racing/driving fast thing, so I don't need the S for the extra horse power. I'm into gas mileage, so I'll be getting the Clubman manual, which is rated at 37 MPG highway, though I know one guy on here who got over 39 MPG.

Have you built a MINI yet? Go over to miniusa.com and start configurating. Save your configs, compare, and go to your dealer to play. Have fun!

Old 02-26-2008, 06:06 PM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brian,

If you can get a quote, you might want to factor in changes in insurance cost as well. I just purchased an 08 MCS and the insurance is surprisingly low (imo). According to the folks at the dealership, that is at least partly due to the Mini's wide demographic appeal. Not sure what insurance is like on a Mangum.

Also, maintenance might need to be factored in there. My new Mini came with three years of maintenance (mainly oil changes I reckon), so that is a cost savings. Plus, it looks like the service interval is quite long, and I have to imagine quite a bit longer than your Mangum between oil changes. I suppose it depends on how detailed you want to get, but I have to guess even items like tires, brakes, etc., may be cheaper (if for no other reason, than they are smaller). And Mini (or at least the dealership) was offering an extended maintenance period to cover some other items.

So a couple more items you might want to factor into your analysis. Looking forward to hearing how things turn out!

Good luck!!!

Old 02-26-2008, 06:23 PM
Brussolino
1st Gear
Thanks for the responses.

I actually tried ot factor that stuff in. The magnum is pretty expensive insurance wise...5.7L V8, RWD is kindof a sportscar...I imagine the insurance may be less. And I did include maintenance costs, and how the first 36,000 miles are free with the mini (approx. 2 years for me).

Not to mention that I am worried that the engine will fall out of the magnum at anytime, they way stuff has been failing on me. I got the transmission covered because I complained alot, but it could have costed me 3,500 or so...who knows what will happen next.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:08 PM
Jeff S.
3rd Gear
You are now driving a "tank" although a very quick one. Drive a MINI. Dirive an "S" and make sure that the Sport button is ON!! Then you will forget about the financing and think about the fun!

Old 02-26-2008, 07:25 PM
chili_red07
5th Gear
Absolutely test drive one of each before you decide if you want an S or not.

I'm willing to bet you get an S though

Old 02-26-2008, 08:31 PM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome aboard and to NAM. Drive both models - you'll see the difference for yourself.....Keep us posted...

Donna