R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 First MINI, I got questions!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 08:22 AM
biglittle
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First MINI, I got questions!

Hi! Ah the first post! First off, its really nice to see how nice everybody is on this forum. I've never considered a Mini before, but with the clubman...its a home run. I know it sounds weird but the 9 inches really make a huge diffrence. This car has it all, fun, power, utility, looks, gadgets, mpg, 6 speed. I have a Jetta 2.0T DSG...and I'm just sick of it. I would probably order the car in 2 months and take delivery in 2 months. I'm looking at a loaded S with a manual.

So, questions :

1- I have 2 small dogs (13 lbs each). Cloth is out the window, its bettween leather and leatherette. I do plan on covering the back seats most of the time. The leather in the mini seams to be of very high quality...the salesman told with it scratches easy...and it would look like crap fast. Any other dogs owners?

2- I want most options, but a few of them I'm on the fence. Electric window defroster? I live in Montreal, so it would seem like a good feature. Any cons? Does anybody regret any options? How about comfort access?

Here is what my build would look like (not the colors...not even close to a decision on that!) thanks in advance!

Old 02-28-2008, 09:10 AM
Otra
6th Gear
With dogs - get the leatherette, in my opinion. Definitely go for the Cold Weather package - oh, wait..you seem to have different packages. Heated seats, mirrors and washer jets are excellent...(our Cold Weather package in the USA)

You're getting the automatic...which comes with Dynamic Stability Control - at least here it does - as standard. I don't know much about the Limited Slip Differential...nor why one would need it with your configuration...but I'm sure others will have their input to offer.

Many find that the portable navigation devices are quite good. I'm still in the paper map era.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:15 AM
Jeff S.
3rd Gear
It is interesting seeing the differences of the Canadian packages. What I am not familiar with is the Travel package. Exactly what does it include and how do the pieces work?

Awaiting delivery of Clubman S

Old 02-28-2008, 09:15 AM
biglittle
1st Gear
It would be a manual, only the checked boxes are what I want. I would actually get the GPS for everything but the map function, I just find it makes the car interior look better...

The travel pkg included the flatloading floor (standard in the US) and a storage box, some nets...nothing much really but the flatloading floor is a must. I'm it will be standard next year...

Old 02-28-2008, 09:16 AM
Otra
6th Gear
It appears as though it consists of everything that we down here get as part of the normal Clubman.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:17 AM
shamrok
2nd Gear
1st tank of gas...

Well I filled up my Clubman S for the first time since purchase and I am already starting to save some real money. 6 days on a tank beat the 2 1/2 tanks I used to spend in my V8 Tahoe..

--------------------------------------------------------

I have two Fox Terriers (mostly white hair.. uggg) both around 13lbs and it is going to be interesting how they are going to travel with my two kids in the back seat. If I were taking them without people in the back seat I would definitely flip the seats down and get a nice blanket or custom fit bad for the back area. If you want to keep the seats up they should fit fine with the back seats tilted in the forward position. then you just need a rubber mat for the back. the opening between the head liner the the tops of the rear seat is not very large so unless they are very persistent they will most likely give up quickly trying to jump into the back seat.

Options..

I went overboard and bought just about everything.. probably because the one I found had just about everything. The item I like best are the Bluetooth/iPod adapter.. and of course the heated seats. I did not get the navigation system but I was planning on using a portable one since I have other cars. I miss not getting Sirius radio.. and they have a unlimited subscription special right now.. but it is still $1,000.

Are you more interested in convenience items or performance?

I love the car and have not found anything that I would deem not worthwile.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:25 AM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
First of all, welcome to NAM and the world of MINI fanaticism! Great color choice, BTW.

The Nav system is quite pricey just for the aesthetics. I'd recommend you think about your priorities on this a bit more before taking the plunge.

I lot of people like the Convenience Package but in my opinion it's stuff that wouldn't be missed much. I certainly don't mind taking the 8/10 second to flip the mirror **** or HVAC fan switch / temp control when necessary.

...and see, I just saved you over $3K Canadian (looking good compared to the U.S. dollar these days!) that you can use on cool after-market stuff.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:32 AM
dlpruk
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by biglittle
Hi! Ah the first post! First off, its really nice to see how nice everybody is on this forum.
I'll try to keep standards up.

Congrats on your impending move to a MINI and the spec you've suggested. But there are some points I think you might like to consider further:
  1. How smooth are the roads around you? The Clubman has a fairly firm ride anyway - in a pleasant way; not harsh - so try to get a demo in a car with and without the Sport Package before you decide. (This didn't work for me but that may just be British roads and I thought the standard suspension and 16s was better.)
    You can always spec the anthracite headliner separately, if you really want it - but I'm glad I didn't.
  2. Many people here in the UK think the factory-fit sat-nav is way overpriced compared with the better-performing Tom-Tom, Garmin, etc. (But that may not apply in Canada, of course.)
  3. I think PDC would be a useful addition and you might want the Clubman dog guard and the hi-fi speaker upgrade, which is much better than the base version. (But it may not be worth the cost if you plan to upgrade to a $$$$ aftermarket set-up anyway.)
  4. Is the multi-function steering wheel standard in Canada? (I'd add that too if it isn't in order to get cruise control - and think about the classy but costly wood one, which comes with a wood gear-change ****. (You might not like it with a black interior mind!)
  5. Do you really want stripes? (Virtually every MINI in the UK has stripes and decals of one sort or another - apart from mine, because I wanted to be different!
Otherwise, I chose virtually everything else you have picked and am very happy that I did.

(I can't comment on the LSD as it's not even an option on a Clubman D but I'm sure others will comment about their experiences.)

Good luck; it'll seem a long wait but I assure you it's worth it!

Old 02-28-2008, 09:40 AM
tony1athome
3rd Gear
I would definitely go with seat covers. I have two small rodents (Homo Sapiens ) and I want to avoid having them trash stuff. I'm going with the Wet Okole's.

For dogs I'd definitely do some kind of mat in the back. I'm going with cocomats in front and if you do that, they make a matching pad in the back. Their sisal mat might be more comfortable than the original cocomat.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:49 AM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Originally Posted by tony1athome
I would definitely go with seat covers. I have two small rodents (Homo Sapiens ) and I want to avoid having them trash stuff. I'm going with the Wet Okole's.
Be careful if you choose the Wet Okoles. I love mine to death and they would be the optimum physical protection for your seats but the dark colors have a tendency to show hair/fuzz especially during the cold months when static electricity is an issue. When we acquire our MINIs we tend to develop an OCD about these sorts of things. Throw in a couple of shedding dogs and you would likely be employing a tape roller on a daily basis to mitigate the hair.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:09 AM
tony1athome
3rd Gear
Thanks for the warning. When the seat is already going to be covered in Cheerios, Hot Wheels, and Binkies, a little hair is the least of my worries.

Bigger concerns are the overturned cup of milk and the potty accident.

I guess I got over my OCDness when I became a parent.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:27 PM
biglittle
1st Gear
Thanks for the replies!

dlpruk, You're correct about the sport pkg, the roads in my area are quite bad. I test drove a Cooper S without the sport pkg and though the ride was harsh enough. But in canada you can't speck the black roofliner seperatly and I really want it, and I would go for 17" wheels anyways.

yes the multi-function steering wheel is standard in canada.

I know the Nav systems is pricey if I won't even use the GPS function much...If it was up to my wife she would give it a "no". I'll keep thinking about it.

The car I listed includes 1900$ for the leather, right now I'm thinking leatherette would be best. I would probably get the rear seat cover from Mini. As for the stripes, just like the exterior color, I'm not decided. Thats one of the things I love about the mini, you can make it look sporty or luxury. One minute I want hot chocolate with wood trim the other white with alloy bits...still time to make up my mind.

Old 02-28-2008, 01:09 PM
shamrok
2nd Gear
Nice Interior

I love the white seat piping in the picture. I had black with white piping in my old Sunbeam and it looked great. This was an option I forgot to get in my Cooper's all black interior.

Old 02-28-2008, 02:01 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
For heavy duty passangers (Kids, pets) the leatherette, IMHO, is the way to go. Leather is a strong material but it will wear out sooner or later. I am not sure whether leatherette is a no cost offering in Canada, but if it is, save the money for the leather and go with the vinyl. It is a very high quality and resilient material intended for heavy use. Cloth, sorry is horrendous, stains easily and it is a safe heaven for allergies and dust. Yes it is grippy, its comfy and looks good. But in the hot weather where I live cloth is disgusting. It acts as a huge sponge absorbing my body persperation..yuck!

Old 02-28-2008, 02:04 PM
biglittle
1st Gear
Ya cloth is out of the question. The pleather is a no cost option in canada.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:31 PM
TomW
2nd Gear
Comfort Access

No one has mentioned the comfort access question so i'll take a stab at that. First welcome as many have said.

I am a total believer of the comfort access; we ordered it for our clubman and i have it on a BMW - all i could think of when i first got it was how i could possibly incorporate it to the deadbolt and key lock of my home! it is really great to be able to never have to use the key and the fob at all. Just walk up to the car, grab the handle, it unlocks and opens, you hop in and hit the start button and away you go - all with the key in your pocket (or purse). The only downside, which a fellow BMW owner experienced was a valet experience where the valet brought his car around to return it to the owner (unknowingly the valet had the key in his hand or pocket or something), the fellow hopped in and drove home - many miles to where he did not have the backup key. Long story short he was stuck. But i know that there is a warning which comes on in the display if the key is away from the car and it is still running - so i'm not sure why he didn't see this and immediately return to obtain the key.

Anyhow, IMO the comfort access is a must but it is just an extra amenity - we all lived for a long time using the key and fob system which also work fine - it is just a cool techno feature. Enjoy.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:56 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
I was going to mention the comfort access as well. It's one of my favorite features on my car. I've never had a car that didn't use a key before and this is very convenient.

Old 02-29-2008, 01:43 AM
shamrok
2nd Gear
I agree

The keyless entry and buttons are one of the big WOW factors have when they see my car for the first time. It works great and I makes me feel free of stumbling for my key fob when my hands are full.

I am sure this is a standard feature with the BMW high end vehicles but to get it on my little old Mini is awesome.

**My only question is if my I ever decide to let my wife drive my car ... and while showing her how the vehicle works I start the car keylessly. When she drives off by her self.. what happens when she stops somewhere or will it warn her when she is out of range of the key? Oh well it will be fun to find out.**

Old 02-29-2008, 04:59 AM
biglittle
1st Gear
Keyless drive...I've never ad it so I can live without it, I might get it. I would just have to see it in action.

Same for the nav, I want to play with it in person before making a move.

Old 02-29-2008, 05:17 AM
djam43
6th Gear
If you are getting the Nav, be sure to get the park distance control, as it integrates with the system and shows a "picture" of whats behind the car.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:07 AM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Originally Posted by biglittle
Keyless drive...I've never ad it so I can live without it, I might get it. I would just have to see it in action.

Same for the nav, I want to play with it in person before making a move.
I should rephrase what I meant. Comfort access isn't just keyless drive. All the 07+ Mini's have push button starting. With Comfort access you can leave the key in your pocket. My car won't start unless the key is inside the vehicle. It's obviously something a person can live without but it's a nice feature that I like. It's nice to walk up to a locked car and open the hatch without touching the key fob.

The main drawback is what was mentioned already. If you have the key in your pocket, start the car, and let some one else like your wife drive away in it without you, when she shuts off the car there is no way to restart it if she doesn't have the fob.

I have the Nav but skipped the park distance control because I didn't like the way the sensors look in the back. Not to mention it's so small I didn't find it necessary. I don't parallel park too often. If I did, I would reconsider the option. Luckily Mini uses a different trim piece for cars without park distance control so don't have blanks in the bumper. That was the only reason I got rear fog lights, the darn plastic blanks bug me. They should have put a solid grill without the cut-outs.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:13 AM
biglittle
1st Gear
How about stipes? Seems not alot of people have em. I find they make the car look more agressive...now I'm not sure! Too many choices!

Old 02-29-2008, 09:45 AM
tony1athome
3rd Gear
I went for the stripes. Thought the car was too boring without them.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:02 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
I would have gotten stripes if they were painted on or underneath the clear coat. I'll pass on giant stickers.

Old 03-01-2008, 03:16 AM
shamrok
2nd Gear
Stripes vs No Stripes

I am kinda torn on the issue.. but the dealer told me he could put them on anytime.. so I can switch it up after a while. The best of both worlds.

I am leaning toward the sport stripes (double down center). Nice look but not sure how good it will look on roof since I have a sunroof.

Quick Reply: R55 First MINI, I got questions!