R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Sports Package or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 02:03 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bahollings
I have a question about the run flats. I drove a Clubman S last week at the Scottsdale, AZ dealer and the salesman told me the "S" only comes with run flats, is this correct?
thanks
Yes this is correct. The only model that comes with 15" radial tires from the factory is the Cooper Clubman (And a spare I might add whether you get radials or runflats). The S model comes with runflats on 16" and 17" size and no spare. But you'll be happy to know that there appears to be space under the trunk floor to drop a small spare tire on a Clubman S. Hope this helps!

Old 03-17-2008, 06:01 PM
ncgator
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks ClubmanS. That was my gut feel about it, so I think I'll stick to non-Sport with the 16" rims (I also prefer the Bridge-Spoke to the S-Winders). Plus, I'm thinking that I really like the Lounge Hot Chocolate interior, so forgoing the Sport will help pay for it.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:20 AM
Joep
6th Gear
Wow all this conversation about not purchasing the sport package has made me rethink my plans. Up until now, it was a no brainer. Sport package and convenience package were a must. Now I don't know. I hope that this discussion goes on so that I can hear different points of view on "to sport package or not!".

Old 03-18-2008, 05:35 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Well, the way I see it... If you truly want the SS+ suspension, Xenons, stripes and 17" wheels, I'd say go for it.... However, I think the best way you can justify getting the firmer suspension setup is if you plan to put the car to good use at the track or autocross circuit. if that is your plan, then by all means get it (or at least get the SS+ suspension, LSD). I have the convenience package package in my '05 R53 S, but that was configured a little differently from the factory in the way it is offered today. I would say though, that the Homelink buttons in the rearview mirror, automatic self dimming rearview mirror, auto headlights and rain sensing wipers are really worth the money IMHO. We didn't get it in the Clubman as we wanted to keep the car under $30K (After all was said and done). If you have a bluetooth phone and want the center armrest, the convenience package seems to me money well spent. But do you need it? No, not really. Once you drive this car, the gadgets take a back seat. It is the handling and driving experience what makes the "Meat and potatoes" of owning this car.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:38 AM
PepperSClubman
2nd Gear
This is my second Mini and I have yet to splurge on the sport pack. I got the sport suspension for my S Clubman and was expecting a stiffer ride. It's pretty smooth IMO especially with longer wheelbase of the clubman. I prefer the stock S wheels for my winter set compared to the 17"s offered with the sport pack.

As for xenons, I'm sure they illuminate the road better than stds. But I dislike driving at night and I hate being blinded by oncoming blue lights. For me it's a simple matter of not wanting to be that jerk. Sry xenon lovers.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:02 AM
Joep
6th Gear
With all this talk about packages, is there a down-loadable list of what the packages consist of? I went around the site some today but didn't find a list that be copied or downloaded to my pc to see if I really needed it or not.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:50 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Joe, I think if you search in www.motoringfile.com, there is an article posted there towards the end of last year that has a complete list of all the 2008 MINI Clubman packages. I believe it is in a PDF format file. Let me look it up for you..

Old 03-18-2008, 10:13 AM
Joep
6th Gear
ClubmanS,

Thanks for the link. I did a search and found the list of options. Now I need to decide if it is cheaper and better to go ala carte. Thanks!

Joe

Old 03-18-2008, 12:24 PM
GoMiniGo
Former Vendor
Since I have an 02 MCS with its own sports suspension and the wife has the Clubman S with sports suspension, I thought I could share my impressions.

If you remember, the early 02's had the extra stiff shocks.

My car rides a LOT rougher than the Clubman. There is also more body roll. Sure, some of that comes with a slightly larger/longer car. But I think a lot comes from the shocks. I personally feel the Clubman sports suspension is fairly mild. In fact, I was thinking about putting on a rear sway bar on it just to keep it from rolling so much.

Bottom line from me, if this is sport, the normal would not be too nice in the twisties.

Last edited by GoMiniGo; 03-18-2008 at 03:21 PM.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:51 PM
astra
4th Gear
I have a 2004 MCS.. bought the sport suspension package.. ended up replaceing all of it with aftermarket parts..

get the std suspension.. if you feel you want something stiffer or that gives a little more control, you will save money by adding only what you need..

Old 03-18-2008, 04:27 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
In the first gen R53 MCS, sport PLUS suspension was always standard and optional on the R50 Cooper hardtop.

In the second gen MINI, Sport PLUS suspension became optional for both, MC and MCS.

As an interesting tid bit, in the R52 cabrios, Sport PLUS suspension is not offered.