R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Sports Package or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 04:40 PM
amdoubleu
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sports Package or Not?

My production date starts 3/9 and I know I can still re-figure the options. I chose the sports package but now I am wondering if I really need it. From what I read on NAM the ride is going to be a little harsher with this package or do I delete it and go with the stock tires? And while we're at it, a little advice about xenons or not?.......Thanks

Old 03-02-2008, 05:09 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would highly recommend the Xenons. They illuminate the road much better then the standard halogens. As for the sport package, I don't like run-flat tires, so that was the deciding factor for me. I'd rather change a flat tire and pay $20 to get the flat fixed then have to replace the run-flat with a new tire. I also don't have to worry about getting stuck 200 miles from the nearest MINI dealer with a run-flat that can't go the distance. Run-flats also have stiffer sidewalls, and are heavier. I'm glad MINI offers the choice of standard or run-flats, it's one of the reasons why I didn't consider a BMW, which is now 100% run-flat across their car line.

Old 03-02-2008, 05:17 PM
Laser-Red
1st Gear
Headlight Option

The standard headlights do leave a lot to be desired. I would like to have the xenons, but it is too late for this adventure! I have the Silverstars and they help, but... still lacking. I read somewhere on NAM about re-aiming the headlights a bit higher. I think I am going to give it a try.

Old 03-02-2008, 06:29 PM
tim781996
6th Gear
Definitely go with the Xenons.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:47 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've got the sport suspension and Xenons with mine. I find the sport suspension to feel just fine, even on the bumpy backroads I like to drive. It has noticeably less body roll than when I test drove one with standard suspension. Since my Mini is just a weekend twisty and long trip car, I prefer the tighter ride.

Xenons are good but the temperature range between them and halogen is quite a bit. I don't mean heat temperature, but light output color. Some people see better with Xenon, some don't. I've used my Xenons on dark roads with no street lights in the middle of nowhere and though they worked quite well for my eyes.

I don't use the fog lights except in fog as I find the bright light directly in front of the bumper makes my eyes squint slightly and affects my vision. I don't seem to have the problem with the Xenons though. I know Robin Cassady has posted a few times about liking Halogen's better due to the light not having such a sharp cutoff. Maybe he'll drop a line in here as well. I think for him the temperature of the light output might not be part of the spectrum that gives him the best night vision. I found the opposite to be true for my eyes. The Xenon light is compatible to my eyes just fine, even though the fog lights bug them.

Old 03-02-2008, 09:13 PM
that7guy
6th Gear
Xenon's are a must unless you drive on dark, back roads alot. They illuminate great in the city but cut off and can be bad in the pitch black. They also sometimes glare and blind oncoming drivers.
As far as the Sport Package, if you really don't know if you need it or not, don't waste your money. If ride comfort or harshness is more important to you then performance and handling then you probably aren't going to use it anyway. I think you need to evaluate your driving style and what suits you best.

Old 03-02-2008, 10:48 PM
Chief_Charlie
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get the Xenons; and on a pitch black road, turn on your "high beams." I'd pass on the Sport Suspension as well.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:49 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Halogens + fogs here and very happy. No need for the added $, weight and complexity of Xenons. Sometimes, less is more.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:57 AM
miniclubman
6th Gear
Xenons add weight? How much heavier are they? I would imagine any headlight system only weighs a few pounds at most.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:34 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by miniclubman
Xenons add weight? How much heavier are they? I would imagine any headlight system only weighs a few pounds at most.
Yeah, not by much. If you are not planning to take the car to the track, then the 10-15+ pounds extra are of no consequence to you.

Notice the 2006 JCW GP car only came fitted with halogens from factory.

I have nothing against xenons, just that I am not convinced by the technology enough to justify the expense. I have driven MINIs with them and they are much brighter but the cut off is bothersome (to me) in pitch black darkness.

Another problem of Xenons is that they run very hot.

But the nail in the coffin against them is that here in Miami, Xenon headlight theft has been a real problem in recent years. Thieves look for parked cars with Xenons and they pry open the hood to get to the ballast, which is what are they after. The ballast can be retrofit into other cars (Namely Asian compacts). You see here all the time Nissan Maximas, Audis, etc without headlights. MINI's have not been immune to this crime either.

For these reasons, I prefer the low key and cheaper to replace nature of halogens.

I drive 90% of the time under city lights anyway. If I had to drive in rural roads, then that would probably convince me to get them.

I have found the Clubman's halogens plus front fogs to provide more than adequate illumination

Old 03-03-2008, 02:50 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
All valid points. The light cutoff is very sharp, but the overall road illumination is much better, and that's what's most important to me. I also would hesitate to get them if there was a high incidence of vandalism and theft in my area, but fortunately that's not the case. Also, I'm 53, and my night vision isn't what it was in my younger days, so I need all the help I can get!

Old 03-03-2008, 03:04 PM
Otra
6th Gear
My two cents - love the xenons, never had the "sports package" but I am not a race car sort MINI driver (nor have I ever had an S ) though I do enjoy driving which I why this will be my 3rd MINI.

As for run flats - there are pros and cons. I've had them, found they made me feel more secure while commuting through some not so great areas (in and out of NYC) for a flat tire... Did have mine plugged twice (found a nail in one twice) which never caused a problem. Don't have run flats now, though I do have an extra set of wheels with snow tires on them.

Old 03-03-2008, 03:15 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
There are many advantages to run flat tires, but many disadvantages, as well. It all comes down to evaluating the choice and deciding what works best for you. I'm glad MINI gives you a choice, although I would have preferred an optional 16" wheel with standard, not run flat tires. It probably won't be long until all the MINI tires are run flats, as that's the way BMW seems to be headed with all the vehicles they make. I also think that run flat tires will get better and cheaper if they're adopted by more car makers, but I don't see too many other manufacturers jumping on the run flat bandwagon just yet. I think the jury's still out on this one...

Old 03-03-2008, 04:00 PM
JohnJohn
4th Gear
Originally Posted by miniclubman
There are many advantages to run flat tires, but many disadvantages, as well. It all comes down to evaluating the choice and deciding what works best for you. I'm glad MINI gives you a choice, although I would have preferred an optional 16" wheel with standard, not run flat tires. It probably won't be long until all the MINI tires are run flats, as that's the way BMW seems to be headed with all the vehicles they make. I also think that run flat tires will get better and cheaper if they're adopted by more car makers, but I don't see too many other manufacturers jumping on the run flat bandwagon just yet. I think the jury's still out on this one...
Not trying to argue one is better or worse than another...but

I think you'll see more car makers go to run flats. In the coming years the pressure to increase fuel economy will be greater than it is today. Ditching the spare may be an easy route to help achieve that. If that does happen maybe run flat prices will come down.

PS: I love my Sport Suspension and Xenons

Old 03-03-2008, 04:15 PM
VelvetFoot
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I haven't got my MINI yet, but I would think with the bixenons you get xenon on high beams which should really be awesome. Again, I don't have my MINI yet, but on a couple of other cars I've had the fog lights were totally useless. Also, to vent somewhat, I've traveled behind people with a rear fog light on in clear sky conditions at night and the bright light was quit annoying.

From what I can tell, my MINI will have parking lights where the fog lights are. They look like fog lights, superfically.

Old 03-03-2008, 04:36 PM
JohnJohn
4th Gear
If you get Xenons, get fog lights! Especially if you drive in a snow storm or two.

My factory fogs saved my bootty a few times. Running Xenons during a snow storm is like driving in snow with normal halogen "brights" on. The reflection off the snow is blinding. I turned off the headlamps and ran with the fogs...worked great.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:51 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJohn
If you get Xenons, get fog lights! Especially if you drive in a snow storm or two.

My factory fogs saved my bootty a few times. Running Xenons during a snow storm is like driving in snow with normal halogen "brights" on. The reflection off the snow is blinding. I turned off the headlamps and ran with the fogs...worked great.
That's exactly the way fogs are supposed to be used. Works great in very dense fog as well.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:03 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
I usually get fog lights because I hate looking at the two large blank spots in the front bumper when you don't get them! I do use them from time to time, and if it ever snows again on Long Island I'll try out the fog light trick. Anyone want to buy a snowblower, never used?

Old 03-03-2008, 07:23 PM
ftttuhzbmcs
5th Gear
Get the sport package or I think you will be sorry. The ride is firm but rides way nicer than 2006 on down Minis. Xenons are great also. Also, I like sport seats.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:25 PM
Otra
6th Gear
I vote for fog lights front and back. That back one can be a big help when you're driving through pea soup and someone's coming up behind you.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:36 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
If you get the S, front fogs are standard equipment. For another $100 I got the rear fog light and a full toggle switch!

Old 03-17-2008, 01:00 PM
ncgator
Neutral
Hey everyone - newbie here from Raleigh, NC! I've been looking at this forum for a while now and it has been a great help. I think I am about to make the move to order an S Clubman at the end of this week (for June delivery) and have almost everything picked out. The one item I am on the fence about is the Sport Package, and I'm specifically concerned about the Sport Suspension. I admit I like to get up to speed quick, which is why I am going for the S, but I really don't want a ride that's too rough. I am coming out of a 330i with Sport package which does get a little bumpy at times. This thread seemed to take a turn more towards the Xenons (which I am definitely getting), so does anyone have any input on what real difference I would notice with/without the Sport suspension, and I guess the 16" vs 17" wheels? BTW, I will be getting an automatic if that makes any impact on your comments. Thanks for the help!

Old 03-17-2008, 01:29 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
ncgator, welcome to the forum. I think the deciding factor in ordering the sports suspension is whether you plan to track or autocross the car? Otherwise, save the money and go with the standard suspension. I have the std suspension in my Clubman S and I find it to be the perfect combination between ride comfort and sharp handling reflexes. I skipped the 17" wheels/tires and went with the 16" bridgespokes with Goodyear Excellence Run-On-Flat tires. However, those 17" Clubman wheels are very sweet looking. But for everyday driving I much prefer the comfort and durability of 16" rims and rubber.

Old 03-17-2008, 01:30 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Oh and you'll be happy with the Automatic. This slushbox is very well tuned to the character of the car!

Old 03-17-2008, 02:00 PM
bahollings
3rd Gear
Run Flats

I have a question about the run flats. I drove a Clubman S last week at the Scottsdale, AZ dealer and the salesman told me the "S" only comes with run flats, is this correct?
thanks

Quick Reply: R55 Sports Package or Not?