R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Manual or Automatic? Which is "better"?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 09:42 AM
Ahchoo01
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manual or Automatic? Which is "better"?

I test drove an automatic Mini Cooper Clubman this past Saturday. I'm not a professional driver or full fledged Mini enthusiast by any means (yet ) and I felt that the automatic drove well and handled corners agilely.

At the suggestion of the dealer, I also test drove a manual Clubman for comparison. I'll honestly say that it seemed a little more spirited and fun to drive. With a manual, you simply just have more control.

That being said, I live in a fairly urban area about 4 miles from downtown San Diego and I'm not sure I'd have the ability to make much use of a manual. While it may be more fun to drive on non congested, windy roads, for me, it doesn't make much sense when I'm stuck in bumper to bumper traffic heading down the 5 freeway at 5 pm.

I've read several reviews and spoke with the mini dealer who all seem to suggest that a manual transmission is the way to go. They told me that approximately 75% of mini coopers are sold with manual transmissions. An avid mini fan who just completed her order for a new Mini Cooper even chimed in to say "go with the manual. They have higher re-sale values anyways."

I'm seriously thinking about purchasing a Mini Cooper Clubman in the near future but I'm unsure about whether I should go with an automatic or manual transmission. There are pros and cons to both but the practical side of me thinks that living in relatively crowded area, an automatic makes much more sense for my daily commute, which will likely be most of my driving time except for a few road trips here and there.

Can anyone provide their insight and offer some advice on which kind of transmission is "better" manual or automatic?

Thanks everyone in advance!

Old 03-10-2008, 09:51 AM
Otra
6th Gear
Loved my standard shift cars...injured my shoulder and had to switch to an automatic. I have my third MINI auto on order - the new auto (as in it's been out since '07, I believe).

I think you have to go with what you want and feel will suit your personal needs best. Don't worry too much about the resale - because there really are automatic drivers out there who want a MINI. I'll let the others on here who drive both types give you their take.

What do you drive now on your daily commute? If it's not a manual, can you borrow someone's manual and see what it's like? Is it a grueling stop, start commute? If it's only a short grueling one - then go for the manual...but if it's a long one... Are we talking an hour's commute one way or what?

Old 03-10-2008, 10:16 AM
jakay11
4th Gear
I drive 50mi one-way, mostly highway. its normally a 45min ride w/o traffic.
It normally takes me 1+ hr to get in... (going at free-flowing highways speeds, and then BRAKE-TEST! and 5mph for 2-3 mi and then normal speeds again...)

I have a manual and love it! I don't notice the stick in traffic (and have driven autos prev.)

I've had a loaner auto car, and couldn't wait to give it back... The manual was more enjoyable, esp. once I got out on the twisty roads like Fri. night

HTH!

Old 03-10-2008, 10:19 AM
Ahchoo01
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Otra
Loved my standard shift cars...injured my shoulder and had to switch to an automatic. I have my third MINI auto on order - the new auto (as in it's been out since '07, I believe).

I think you have to go with what you want and feel will suit your personal needs best. Don't worry too much about the resale - because there really are automatic drivers out there who want a MINI. I'll let the others on here who drive both types give you their take.

What do you drive now on your daily commute? If it's not a manual, can you borrow someone's manual and see what it's like? Is it a grueling stop, start commute? If it's only a short grueling one - then go for the manual...but if it's a long one... Are we talking an hour's commute one way or what?
Right now, I drive a manual 1997 Geo Prism, which has faithfully served me well for the last 9 years. I wouldn't say my daily commute is grueling in comparison to some other folks who may have to drive for an hour or more to get home. My average driving area is generally limited to a 20 mile radius. But I can say that I'm always frustrated when I'm stuck in stop and go traffic on the freeway or on city streets trying to get out of downtown during rush hour. I especially dislike stop and go traffic downtown when stuck on a hill. Although San Diego is not quite like San Francisco, it can be surprisingly hilly and uneven. Call me a baby, but my feet get tired.

I do however, frequently drive up to Orange County which is about an hour north of where I live and there are long stretches of relatively open freeway (on weekends) where driving a manual would not be an issue, and perhaps even fun.

I hope this clarifies my post. Thanks!

Old 03-10-2008, 10:25 AM
misslindsey
5th Gear
I got an manual in my '07 MCS. I love it. There are times, however, that I wished it was an auto. I can't imagine I'm taking much advantage of the fuel economy difference when I'm just sitting in traffic. And my feet get really tired. If I were buying a Clubman I think I'd be wanting something more practical, etc. I would probably get an auto and not regret it. In fact, I've almost convinced myself that my next car will be a Clubman D w/ auto.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:33 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A pro for the manual....fuel economy. If a manual Cooper is driven for economy, the car can far exceed what it says on the sticker!!

That said...I agree. If lots of stop and go traffic is your lot in life then an auto tranny us indeed useful.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:15 AM
JeremyAZ
2nd Gear
My experience: If eithr the husband or wife cannot drive stick, or you have kids, or if its city driving, or if you live in hilly or mountainous terrain....then go with the automatic. The automatic may not be as fun to drive as the manual, but its still damn fun to drive.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:44 AM
tim781996
6th Gear
If I had to do a lot of stop-and-go traffic, I'd get an auto. Fortunately, I don't, so I'm getting a manual this time around for the gas savings.

And no, a manual does not have a higher re-sale value than an auto. They charge $1,200 for an auto new, a manual transmission is not going to go up in value and surpass the initial cost of an auto after you start using it. Just check edmunds.com, they'll tell you.

Old 03-10-2008, 02:46 PM
Robin81
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Ahchoo01
Right now, I drive a manual 1997 Geo Prism, which has faithfully served me well for the last 9 years. I wouldn't say my daily commute is grueling in comparison to some other folks who may have to drive for an hour or more to get home. My average driving area is generally limited to a 20 mile radius. But I can say that I'm always frustrated when I'm stuck in stop and go traffic on the freeway or on city streets trying to get out of downtown during rush hour. I especially dislike stop and go traffic downtown when stuck on a hill. Although San Diego is not quite like San Francisco, it can be surprisingly hilly and uneven. Call me a baby, but my feet get tired.

I do however, frequently drive up to Orange County which is about an hour north of where I live and there are long stretches of relatively open freeway (on weekends) where driving a manual would not be an issue, and perhaps even fun.

I hope this clarifies my post. Thanks!
Other than color, I think this is the most subjective option on the MINI. It really depends what you're looking for in a car. It sounds like you've had a lot of experience with a manual... do you enjoy it? Are you ready for an easier commute? If you're looking for a daily driver that's easy in stop and go traffic, then you should probably get the automatic. If you're looking for a car that will be super fun to drive on those weekend trips and you won't mind driving it on a daily basis, then you should probably get the manual. Either way, you'll be .

Old 03-10-2008, 03:45 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Ahchoo01, you might want to read the article in the thread whose title has in it Lefthandnews http://www.leftlanenews.com/mini-clu...html#more-6727 towards the end they discuss their test drives with both the S and the Cooper automatics - it may help.

Old 03-10-2008, 04:44 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've spent five years driving a BMW with an automatic, and it's probably the most responsive and smoothest shifting automatic I've ever driven. That said, it's no manual! A manual connects you to the car, sharpens your reflexes, and let's you decide how you want your MINI to respond, rather than letting the ECU decide for you. It's a night-and-day difference.

Old 03-10-2008, 05:04 PM
ColdFyre
2nd Gear
I've driven stick and auto... I have to say that I like the idea of having my hands free to hold the wheel and not worrying about the stick. I test drove the cooper S and the Clubman non-s and I like the way it shifts when I wanna 'cruise' and I like the responsiveness when I go to sport mode. I didn't mess too much with the paddles but my friend who has an auto said that he really enjoyed the option but it was really just an added gadget

Old 03-10-2008, 06:10 PM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Non of our MINIs have been automatic. But that's just because we both enjoy stick shift vehicles - even in stop and go traffic.

This is such a personal choice. Go with what you will be happy with in the end...

Donna

Old 03-10-2008, 07:36 PM
billie_morini
5th Gear
There are no automatics in our household. Those that were here did not remain long. If it isn't a manual, then you ain't driving. And yes, I commute in heavy traffic.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:54 PM
AlexMoultonIsMyMan
2nd Gear
My previous car of three years had an automatic. My love of driving got lost with it. I would find myself treating my car as strictly transportation.

I am now re-engaged. My manual clubman is fantastic. My 4 year old loves it. "Go fast Daddy!", of course I always obey every posted sign and am the voice of reason in the vehicle.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:04 PM
casanewt
Coordinator :: Cincinnati MINI Club
I'm a huge fan of manuals & ride motorcycles as well. I almost refused to by a MCS when my wife finally said she didn't really want to learn a manual. I caved & I couldn't be happier. The MINIs auto with paddles is no Audi/VW DSG, but it's pretty darn sweet. I can make it do just about anything I could do with a manual in the "Manual" mode. Test drive both and choose what's best for you. No way will the automatic be worth less when you go to sell, because IMHO many who buy MINIs do it for the looks & not the performance.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:40 PM
H3toMCC
1st Gear
Learned I should have made the other choice

When we ordered Mic with his automatic transmission we were expecting to be in our normal high stop and go traffic with allot of hills in Seattle.

Now I am moving to Columbus Mississippi and the open road where I would of loved to have had the stick.

Next time I will

Old 03-11-2008, 05:51 AM
William Blake
4th Gear
To me, a MINI should always have a manual gearbox.

Automatics are for big cruisers, not sportscars.

Old 03-11-2008, 05:58 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love the manual transmission and, personally, would have a hard time getting a Mini with automatic. That said, if you are going to be driving mostly in traffic, a manual can be a real pain. My opinion is that, if you could go either way and you are going to be driving mostly in traffic, the auto is the better choice. Whatever you chose, it shouldn't be based on someone else telling you you aren't really driving, unless you have a manual.

Last edited by Loony2N; 03-11-2008 at 06:01 AM.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:21 PM
Ahchoo01
1st Gear
Thanks!

Thanks everyone for your advice. Given my situation and personality, I think I'll stick with an automatic.

Now I just need to decide on options....ah, my work is never done....

Old 03-11-2008, 12:50 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Ahchoo01
I'll stick with an automatic.
Clever wordsmithing!!

Old 03-11-2008, 12:53 PM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gokartride
Clever wordsmithing!!
Yeah, he must be good in the clutch.

Old 03-11-2008, 01:11 PM
ColdFyre
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by LynnEl
Yeah, he must be good in the clutch.
I dunno... I think he needs to shift his priorities around

Old 03-11-2008, 01:17 PM
Fini
2nd Gear
We have an auto in our MCS and it's alright. It wasn't my choice, but I too have a Wife that simply refused to learn a manual transmission and since she was holding up my Mini ownership joy, I compromised. After driving it for a bit I'd say it has merits, but it doesn't replace having a manual transmission for this gearhead. It just makes me a little more determined to own another!

Old 03-11-2008, 05:28 PM
toomuchfun
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ColdFyre
I dunno... I think he needs to shift his priorities around

Geez, I just listen to you guys think and hear you grind your gears just to come up with these!

ANYWAY... I got a manual and love it, but if I had a longer commute in traffic (mine's short since I live close to work), I might've just cried uncle and gotten an automatic rather than endure hours of stop and go on a clogged interstate during rush hour. So depends on your situation on "what's better".

Quick Reply: R55 Manual or Automatic? Which is "better"?