R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Clubman Styling - First impressions

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 01:42 PM
GoMiniGo
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clubman Styling - First impressions

We picked up our Clubby this past Friday so this is probably totally biased but you pick up a lot of details when you wash a car.

With that said, it seems to me that the rear end styling works much better on the Clubman than the R56 Coupe. When the first R56 hit the street, I was never a huge fan of the bubble right under the glass that they created with the sheetmetal. When I look at the Clubman, the whole backend just seems to stylistically work together better.

Is it just me?

There is one thing that I am curious about. Would body color C-Pillars make the car look better? maybe wider? Not sure. I did see one Clubby with rear viper stripes. That definitely looked narrower than a sibling sitting next to it.

Old 03-10-2008, 01:47 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GoMiniGo
the rear end styling works much better on the Clubman than the R56 Coupe.
You obviously need to wash more coupes!!! I think they're both good.

Old 03-10-2008, 02:18 PM
GoMiniGo
Former Vendor
Oh, I still have my R53 Coupe with 99,000 miles on it. Maybe that has created more bias than the Clubby.

Never said this would be a fair perspective...

I am sure there are R56 owners who think the rocks have shifted incorrectly in my head...

AMVIV should be entertaining with all those 'opinions' in one place.

Old 03-10-2008, 02:23 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, I'm waiting on my Clubman, also, and while I think that MINI did a good job on the Clubman design, the Coupe, to me, still has more appealing overall proportions. However, it's too small for my needs, and the Clubman design is a close second, and certainly still an attractive overall effort. I do think the "club door" cutout on the right side somewhat interrupts the body panel flow on that side, but it was a good compromise between having two doors on each side, which would look awful, and just keeping the basic two-door coupe layout. I think the rear doors are a brilliant design, and really make the Clubman unique.

Old 03-10-2008, 03:42 PM
Lorne_K2
2nd Gear
Agreed! For us, the rear styling of the Clubman sold us on the car.

Up close, the proportions of the Clubman are just gorgeous. The rear doors are a delight, as is most every other aspect of the car. I seriously considered purchasing a BMW 1-series this time around (having owned BMWs for the last 15 years), but the overall look and dimensions of the Clubman won us over.

Now we just have another month or so to wait!

Old 03-10-2008, 04:33 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My Clubman's in the delivery center (NY), and I'm out on LI, so I may get it this weekend!

Old 03-10-2008, 04:47 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
there are R56 owners who think the rocks have shifted incorrectly in my head
Not really ....I agree familarity w/ the car is a big, big factor and what better way to do that then washing it!!! It is all so subjective though, even within oneself. I have heard a few folks question the rear boot profile, but if you spend time with it, it all makes a great deal of sense. And lots of folks questioned the R56 bonnet...and here you are really liking in on the Clubman. Funny how that all works, isn't it. In the end, I think what happens is that we learn to appreciate the subtle details. Why? Because a lot of attention has been paid to the details, and we have the MINI design team to thanks for this. When you can look at a car and love it more and more, and have it make more and more sense, then someone did their homework, and all MINIs (all of them imo) are great examples of this.

Last edited by gokartride; 03-10-2008 at 06:36 PM.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:14 PM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
We loved the Coupes, loved the Cabrio, now we love our Clubman. I really like the rear barn doors - and a bit more room in the back never hurts... I know it's not for everybody - that's why the MINI is so much fun - lots to choose from..

Donna

Old 03-10-2008, 08:30 PM
H3toMCC
1st Gear
Retro vs. Modern

I think the R53 and R56 both played on a more retro theme and I love that theme. When you stand and look at a rear quarter view of the Clubman the roof line from front to the back lip and then the angle of the rear glass quarter and back doors I get the impression the designer was going for an edgy slightly more modern look. The contrasting rear pillars really put an exclamation point on the entire design.

One of the reasons we bought the clubman is that it's awesome for the dogs. I got a Kurgo barrier that hooks between the headrests (modified install since I haven't figured out how to get the headrests out of the seats) put a big Kirkland dog throw from Costco in the back and the pups are styling. The barn doors give the dogs great access. As they have become older the leap into and out of the hummer was a bit high and most dog ramps on the market have too steep of an angle with the Hummer. Will never need a ramp with the Clubman.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:14 PM
Copywrites
3rd Gear
I first saw the Clubman at the New England Car show in December '07. I walked by one of them and really didn't take note that it was a different car. Then I saw someone open the rear doors and said to myself "That ain't right!"
Then I saw the side club door and instantly knew I would buy one. After seeing the Clubman, nothing else at the car show interested me at all. I must admit though, when I learned the details about the the pillar/door frame paint treatment, it was almost a deal killer. Many people at the show had the same comment.

But, probably the lack of rear pillar color choices worked out for me because I was able to order one the day after launch - seems the demand is just more-or-less meeting supply and not exceeding it. But my guess is that Mini didn't plan it that way...................

Any opinions on whether there will be a monotone pillar/door frame option for the '09 model? My guess is No, only because the US dollar will be so weak by next year, they won't want to sell any at all in the USA, so why bother. Have you used the european site to price a Clubman anywhere in Europe? It is about 40% higher priced based on currency conversion. That will likely be 50-60% higher by this time next year.

Last edited by Copywrites; 03-10-2008 at 09:22 PM.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:48 AM
freddo
2nd Gear
pics from Mini2 with painted c-pillars
http://www.mini2.com/forum/mini-club...ved-today.html
dont know what I think..

Old 03-11-2008, 06:46 AM
GoMiniGo
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by freddo
pics from Mini2 with painted c-pillars
http://www.mini2.com/forum/mini-club...ved-today.html
dont know what I think..
Not sure either. The lack of chrome strip at the top is very noticeable.

Although, if I were him, I would think about blacking that strip and replacing the side repeaters with the JCW ones.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:47 AM
GoMiniGo
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by gokartride
Not really ....I agree familarity w/ the car is a big, big factor and what better way to do that then washing it!!! It is all so subjective though, even within oneself. I have heard a few folks question the rear boot profile, but if you spend time with it, it all makes a great deal of sense. And lots of folks questioned the R56 bonnet...and here you are really liking in on the Clubman. Funny how that all works, isn't it. In the end, I think what happens is that we learn to appreciate the subtle details. Why? Because a lot of attention has been paid to the details, and we have the MINI design team to thanks for this. When you can look at a car and love it more and more, and have it make more and more sense, then someone did their homework, and all MINIs (all of them imo) are great examples of this.
Nicely said. Wish I had said it

Old 03-11-2008, 07:00 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Not sure either.
Makes the car look longer, too. While I would never argue anyone's right to youify, I do think w/ MINIs there are a lot of knee-jerk reactions to styling changes in general (especially in response to pre-release pictures). Many don't understand the tweaks or want to (or can't) take the time to do so. Such is the case w/ the contrasting Clubman c-pillars. I think they look great in contrasting color from every angle especially the back and one risks losing something without. Still, youification is a right, so whatever floats yer boat!! And if one takes time to really consider the whole matter, and still proceeds......they certainly have from me!!!!!!

Old 03-11-2008, 12:50 PM
Miniman3
1st Gear
I just took delivery of my Clubman on Feb. 18th. Where I go inevitably someone comes up to me to look at it. Saturday while out running errands I had three groups of people come up, one right after the other, to look at it. What should have been a quick stop at the store for banana's ended up taking over 30 minutes! I think that speaks volumes for the styling!

Old 03-11-2008, 06:00 PM
Copywrites
3rd Gear
Have to agrree with GoMiniGo that the lack of chrome trim on the monotone version that Freddo posted is pretty distracting. But if more people go for that look, somebody will come out with aftermarket chrome trim pieces.

Having looked at photos for weeks and looking at every photo I can find on the net, the two tone is no longer an issue with me. But I suspect it is a bit like being at the zoo. When you first arrive, you are annoyed at the smell. But after you walked around for a few hours, you don't even notice it anymore. But every new person arriving at the zoo still notices it. So until Clubmans are plentiful and no longer a novelty, we will likely see some distinct positive or negative responses from newbie's first sightings.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:18 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Copywrites
the two tone is no longer an issue with me.
Not that there's any real comparison to a MINI, but folks have seen some vehicles on the road here and there with unusual c-pillar treatments. Some of the Volvos come to mind and (sorry) some cargo vans...which isn't really an insult as a Clubman does have a definite utilitarian side. I think many folks will like it...and if they don't those nifty rear doors will surely win them over.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:44 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
We picked up our Clubby this past Friday so this is probably totally biased but you pick up a lot of details when you wash a car.

With that said, it seems to me that the rear end styling works much better on the Clubman than the R56 Coupe. When the first R56 hit the street, I was never a huge fan of the bubble right under the glass that they created with the sheetmetal. When I look at the Clubman, the whole backend just seems to stylistically work together better.

Is it just me?
I like the bubble butt on my R56... What can I say, I'm a fan of bubble butts!

Old 03-12-2008, 08:44 AM
buzzsaw
6th Gear
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
Old 03-12-2008, 03:40 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also agree on that the back of the Clubman looks much better than the R56. The dual exhausts coming from the sides look sexy! Also the Clubman does not have the "jacked up" rear bubble butt look of the R56.

It made me think the second generation MINI was really meant to be a Clubman first, hardtop coupe second.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:57 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ClubmanS
I also agree on that the back of the Clubman looks much better than the R56. The dual exhausts coming from the sides look sexy! Also the Clubman does not have the "jacked up" rear bubble butt look of the R56.

It made me think the second generation MINI was really meant to be a Clubman first, hardtop coupe second.
For some reason I thing Chevy HHR when I look at the rear. That's the only thing keeping me from trading my R56 for a Clubman, just don't like the rear. Sorry, just my opinion, maybe it'll grow on me later...

Old 03-13-2008, 05:01 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think that comparing the back of the Clubman to a Chevy HHR is a stretch, quite frankly. I just think you are more bothered by the squared off rear end look of the car. Anyway, I would suggest you parking your R56 besides a R53. There is no comparison. The rear end of the R53 looks proportionate and you only see the exhaust tips and just a little bit of the rear suspension components (Assuming the car is stock). In the R56, you have this bulbous hatch treatment, the oversized tailights, the jacked up 4WD stance, the rear suspension components (Arms, etc) are very visible and the exhaust muffler is completely exposed. That rear end bothers me a lot in this car and it is because I come from an R53. Bubble butts look good in some women, but they have no place in a MINI. To me the Clubman fully addresses this design weakness of the R56.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:34 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ClubmanS
I think that comparing the back of the Clubman to a Chevy HHR is a stretch, quite frankly. I just think you are more bothered by the squared off rear end look of the car. Anyway, I would suggest you parking your R56 besides a R53. There is no comparison. The rear end of the R53 looks proportionate and you only see the exhaust tips and just a little bit of the rear suspension components (Assuming the car is stock). In the R56, you have this bulbous hatch treatment, the oversized tailights, the jacked up 4WD stance, the rear suspension components (Arms, etc) are very visible and the exhaust muffler is completely exposed. That rear end bothers me a lot in this car and it is because I come from an R53. Bubble butts look good in some women, but they have no place in a MINI. To me the Clubman fully addresses this design weakness of the R56.
You have your opinion and I have my opinion and in the end it's always "to each his own".

Old 03-13-2008, 09:48 PM
cloud10
4th Gear
When I saw the very first photos of the Clubman last fall I wasn't sure about the contrasting rear, but it has really grown on me over the months. When I finally got to see it in person when my car was delivered I knew it was perfect as designed. I have Chile Red and Black and I love it.
The reactions I have had have all been positive.
The highlight I've had in my two weeks with Otto happened yesterday.
I came out of my shop at closing time to take off the official Traveller cover. I looked over and saw a beautiful 2003 blue MINI parked at the curb waiting for me to come out.
It was such a surprise. The gentleman had heard there was a new Clubman in town and he had been looking for it. He spotted the cover in my little parking notch and came back in the late afternoon guessing at what time I would be coming out to uncover it.
I fell in love with his car and he fell in love with mine, including the contrasting back doors. We had a great conversation as I urged him to take a close look at Otto. He didn't want to hold me up as I had to pick up my Greyhound at the vet. She is a blood donor for them and did her best that day giving blood to a chihuahua who had swallowed a penny (zinc poisoning).
Anyway, I hope to see him at Prescott's Unique Little Car Show in April so we can talk about MINIs. I hated to leave and watching his car drive away gave me goosebumps. I also noticed an older man watching both cars from across the street. He had a big smile on his face. MINIs do that. They make us smile.

Old 03-15-2008, 07:31 AM
Nightsky
2nd Gear
I'm not big on the contrasting C pillar. I think giving more color options than silver or black would be a better idea if it must contrast. Looking at several on the lot, some looked nice, others not so nice in both of our opinions. My wife and I test drove one last Wednesday and were very impressed with the Clubman. All the fun of driving a Mini with a little less choppy ride. She's going to have one once we get a couple bills paid off (I then get exclusive use of my MCS!).