R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 A few questions before I visit a dealer

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 09:03 AM
soareyes
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few questions before I visit a dealer

I have a few questions before I head to a dealer to test drive and potentially order a new Clubman. I'm in S. California so I have the luxury of visiting several dealers, which I plan to do next week.

First, does the time between ordering the car and delivery vary significantly from one dealer to another? From other threads, I know dealers have "allocations" of cars they order, but I'm not sure how this works.

Second, is there a standard $ deposit amount to put down to order a car, or does this vary from dealer to dealer?

What does MA stand for (I'm guessing "Mini Advisor")?

Finally, from other threads about S. Cal. dealers, it looks like Long Beach and South Bay consistently sell at MSRP with no markup, so they are on my list of dealers to visit. Any other dealers in S. Cal. not marking up Clubmans?

Thanks! Its been fun lurking here for the last month, learning about these neat little cars.

Stan

Old 03-13-2008, 09:15 AM
jvandewark
1st Gear
MA = Motoring Advisor

This is MINIspeak for salesperson and the job title on their business cards.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:20 AM
EAVclubbie
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by soareyes
First, does the time between ordering the car and delivery vary significantly from one dealer to another? From other threads, I know dealers have "allocations" of cars they order, but I'm not sure how this works.
probably not a significant difference within a single region... a quick call to each to ask what build week they can give you on a new Clubman will give you your answer, but I doubt it would vary by more than a week.
Second, is there a standard $ deposit amount to put down to order a car, or does this vary from dealer to dealer?
In my corner of the country it was $1000... I suspect that is standard.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:26 AM
JeremyAZ
2nd Gear
I put down $2000 in Arizona.

Old 03-13-2008, 02:21 PM
Helipad
2nd Gear
$2000! Gaaack. Well at least you get the option to add it to the total balance once you get it delivered.

Last edited by Helipad; 03-13-2008 at 02:24 PM.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:22 PM
Helipad
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by EAVclubbie
In my corner of the country it was $1000... I suspect that is standard.
$1000 deposit in Virginia Beach, VA.

Old 03-13-2008, 02:29 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EAVclubbie
$1000... I suspect that is standard.
I think you are right.

Old 03-13-2008, 02:32 PM
ColdFyre
2nd Gear
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a ClubMan-s m'self and have talked to a few dealers around.

Long Beach & Nick Alexander will do msrp. I've asked 'em both

Crevier (who I WANT to go to since they are the closest) sent me this today:
I have two options that I can do for you. I can offer you $500 above msrp which would include your MINI floor mats or I can offer msrp plus lojack for $795 and the MINI floor mats for $105…"
If they agree to MSRP + 600 for lo-jack and toss in floor mats and mud flaps, I'm there.

Don't even bother calling Monrovia. ***-Hats who work there are rude and don't know their vehicles.

Of the ones that I've personally been to, Nick Alexander has the most CM's in stock... but that doesn't matter to me since I'm ordering

Old 03-13-2008, 02:41 PM
soareyes
2nd Gear
Yes, I have heard that about Monrovia from others. Too bad, because they are closest to me.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Stan

Old 03-13-2008, 02:49 PM
Otra
6th Gear
$500 deposit in Connecticut.

Old 03-13-2008, 03:25 PM
driveblind
2nd Gear
$2000 deposit in Massachusetts. It doesn't really bother me, since it's going right to my total balance anyhow.

Old 03-13-2008, 03:32 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No deposit for me, as we are loyal repeat customers (The Clubman is MINI #4 purchased from the same dealer since 2002).

Strict MSRP here in Florida.

Old 03-13-2008, 03:34 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by driveblind
$2000 deposit in Massachusetts. It doesn't really bother me, since it's going right to my total balance anyhow.
That is brutal

My dealer only charges $500 deposit on all factory orders and it is fully refundable even if the car is sitting in the showroom, no questions asked.

Old 03-13-2008, 03:35 PM
ColdFyre
2nd Gear
I stand corrected on Nick Alexander... they just called back and want $2000 over msrp. I told 'em if they do MSRP +floor mats and rear mud flaps, they have a deal... if not, I'll go to Long Beach even though it's more out of the way.

Old 03-13-2008, 03:41 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ColdFyre
I stand corrected on Nick Alexander... they just called back and want $2000 over msrp. I told 'em if they do MSRP +floor mats and rear mud flaps, they have a deal... if not, I'll go to Long Beach even though it's more out of the way.
What are the California MINI dealers smoking?

I really feel bad for you guys out there

I can't even begin to tell you the frebbies I have gotten from my dealer over the years. 2 weeks ago I picked up the Clubman and I got $1,000 worth of frebbies.

Some dealers understand the concept of "customer for life". Others view the customer as a piece of meat to be consumed and never to be heard from again.

Old 03-13-2008, 04:01 PM
soareyes
2nd Gear
I stand corrected on Nick Alexander... they just called back and want $2000 over msrp.
Well, I'll cross them off my list!

Stan

Old 03-13-2008, 04:05 PM
Prost
4th Gear
If you are going to long beach, ask for Tony and said that Alan ordering the PW Clubman send you there Tony is the MAN

Old 03-13-2008, 04:24 PM
amdoubleu
2nd Gear
I did Long Beach, about a 40 min drive from Studio City. $500 down and no Mark-up!

Old 03-14-2008, 02:37 AM
Copywrites
3rd Gear
I had no idea what type of deposit would be needed and was prepared to pay up to 20%. I was surprised when they indicated $1000 regardless of the sticker price. That was also in Mass. (I presume a different dealer than the $2k Driveblind paid). Price of Clubman was MSRP - nothing thrown in, but I didn't specifically ask for anything either. I ordered on the 2/16 and took the last ordering slot they had on a Clubman for my production week. I believe he said they were allocated 4 Clubman's each week. I'll pick it up Easter weekend. It arrives in NYC today on the Liberty.

Old 03-14-2008, 02:57 AM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a few questions before I head to a dealer to test drive and potentially order a new Clubman. I'm in S. California so I have the luxury of visiting several dealers, which I plan to do next week.

What does MA stand for (I'm guessing "Mini Advisor")?

Finally, from other threads about S. Cal. dealers, it looks like Long Beach and South Bay consistently sell at MSRP with no markup, so they are on my list of dealers to visit. Any other dealers in S. Cal. not marking up Clubmans?

Thanks! Its been fun lurking here for the last month, learning about these neat little cars.

Stan
I bought my car from Universal City MINI (Century BMW) for sticker .

Stay away from Bob Smith in Calabasas! They like exploiting the fact that they're surrounded by 2+ million dollar homes by charging a 3-5k markup on all MINI's .

Haven't heard a whole lot of good things about Crevier either.

South Bay sponsored the Fireballed Tim program a while back and sold his modded cars for him, they're very mod friendly . If they're close to you, buy from them!

Old 03-14-2008, 03:05 AM
tim781996
6th Gear
Originally Posted by driveblind
Hmm...I put down $1,000 in Massachusetts. You must have gone to Herb Chambers.

Old 03-14-2008, 03:08 AM
tim781996
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Copywrites
I had no idea what type of deposit would be needed and was prepared to pay up to 20%. I was surprised when they indicated $1000 regardless of the sticker price. That was also in Mass. (I presume a different dealer than the $2k Driveblind paid). Price of Clubman was MSRP - nothing thrown in, but I didn't specifically ask for anything either. I ordered on the 2/16 and took the last ordering slot they had on a Clubman for my production week. I believe he said they were allocated 4 Clubman's each week. I'll pick it up Easter weekend. It arrives in NYC today on the Liberty.
Did you order from Peabody? They put my order in on 2/14, and I'm on the Otello. You're a whole two days ahead of me. Lucky!

Old 03-14-2008, 03:33 AM
Copywrites
3rd Gear
Yes. But I didn't order the S version. I believe the allocation is also based on Clubman models. My memory is fuzzy, but I think I would have had a different production date if I chose the S.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:17 AM
jonabad
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by tim781996
Hmm...I put down $1,000 in Massachusetts. You must have gone to Herb Chambers.
Actually... I went to Herb Chambers and put down $500 just a month ago...
Random!

Last edited by jonabad; 03-14-2008 at 07:35 AM.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:47 AM
TomW
2nd Gear
I really doubt that they will do that but good luck. Since you will be driving to a dealer farther from you, which almost all of us do BTW (we have to drive past 3 "other" Mini dealers to get to South Bay) I'd recommend that you contact Amanda at South Bay. We have had nothing but a great response frrom them and especially from her. They only sell at MSRP, will work to get you a production slot and she is a true enthusiast! We're picking ours up on Sunday

Quick Reply: R55 A few questions before I visit a dealer