R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Sparkling Silver S

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008 | 05:13 AM
fenwayscout
1st Gear
Thanks Otra!

Big Jim-I thought the same thing until I saw two SS side by side-one with stripes one without. I liked the stripes a bit better. I had the stripes put on because they were part of the package and easily removed if I didnt like the look.

To each his own I guess.

Old 05-12-2008 | 05:42 AM
Tilda
1st Gear
Wednesday is the Day

My sparkling silver "Tilda" is due to be delivered on Wed. She is at Hendrick Mini in Charlotte getting tint and invisishield and then she is all mine. She's just in time for our road trip to the Smoky Mountains. The wait is almost over....WHEW!
Am seriously considering going out to buy a coordinating outfit with sparkling silver jewelry to wear on the ride home.....you think I'm kidding??? I've had way too much time to think about this.

Clubman Cooper SS/blk, auto, premium, convenience, cold weather packages, xenon, tuscan tan, English Oak, F/R fogs, park distance, 16" bridgespokes, chrome ext.

Old 06-03-2008 | 09:02 PM
catguy
2nd Gear
The ONLY class color SS.. ordered it from a Ny dealer a few weeks ago and it was built and now on the ship will be in NY by June 10th. Then having it shipped enclosed on top to Washington State.... Washington dealers told us 14 to 16 weeks.... NO WAY... Calif dealers said three K ABOVE MSRP,,, OREGON DEALER SAME AS WASHINGTON so found one dealer out of at least ten to twelve that had an OPEN order to get any mini so we hooked up w them,,,,, cost to ship all the way TO Wa is 1600 enclose,,, cheap ,,,,

Old 06-04-2008 | 05:00 AM
Calicoskies
3rd Gear
This color is beautiful in person. Was first choice for my teen son and dh. Was my second to pepper white, until we got to the dealer and I saw it in person. Looks extremely sharp with black trim. We ordered one May 31, 08. Still waiting on a production number and such, but we were told should be here 1st week in Sept. Long wait, but gives me time to beef up the down payment. I love all the photos here.

Old 06-04-2008 | 05:44 AM
Tilda
1st Gear
Congratulations....She sounds like a beauty. I love my sparkling silver "Tilda"..."Matilda"...."Tillie". She did great navigating the roads in the Smokies last week.
The name "Maggie Mae" is a very good one. I vote for that.

Old 06-30-2008 | 09:30 AM
jimj
2nd Gear
HELP!-picture request-SS/Silver Clubman

I have on order a Sparkling Silver Clubman with Silver top and C pillars.
Has anyone else ordered is unusual combo?
Am I nuts?
Anyone have picture links to one of these?
Is it illegal to order this color combo?
Could I be thrown in styling jail?

Old 07-12-2008 | 05:10 PM
Evanskarma
2nd Gear
Like some of you, my original choice was PW. But I liked SS so much when I saw it at the dealership when I went for a test drive, I got it in the roof color as well.
I was leary about a black roof vehicle in the Charleston SC summers.... Hot Hot Hot!....I got the gotham grey interior for the same reason.

Anyway, One thing I havent seen on any of the posts is SS with roof in body color (I wonder if it has been done before).

If anyone has any SS pics with roof in body color please post.. My "un-mini" (thats her name right now cause she is plain solid color with no bling) is due to arrive mid-late August.

Evanskarma
MC, SS/SS, premium, mfw (bluetooth), sport seats, gotham grey interior.
Ordered June 3oth, due Mid-late August

Old 07-12-2008 | 05:48 PM
DragonWagon
5th Gear
You dudes with Sparkling Silver are such homers.
Wait, that's my color.
I love it every day I see the butt side of my ClubmanS.

Old 07-12-2008 | 09:45 PM
MaxGSeeker
3rd Gear
Here is an example of an all SS with body color roof. The roof color was one of my toughest decisions since I also was concerned about heat from the black roof. I did a touch temperature test at the dealer with MINIs in full sun. Yes the black was hottest, but even SS and most other colors still get hot. The only color that I found dramatically cooler was the PW. If I got PW I reasoned it would have to be body color roof to really make a difference. I decided on black anyway since I like the look better with the sunroof. I think the sunroof can cause way more heat buildup inside than the outside paint color. That I plan to fix with a good IR rejecting Tint.

Attached Thumbnails Sparkling Silver S-all-ss.jpg  
Old 07-13-2008 | 03:38 AM
Evanskarma
2nd Gear
Thanks for the info MAXGSeeker. Yeah, I grappled with the roof color thing for weeks myself before I ordered. I always got split opinions when I asked friends or family their preference of SS vs black roof. The people that liked black liked it for the same reason you did.

I ultimately went with SS. I reasoned it based on the following,

1. Heat buildup
2. I wanted as much continuity of color throughout the vehicle as possible.
Although the black looked good, I had a little bit of an issue with how the
black roof with tinted widows and black pillars seemed to divide the car in
half with color only in lower half (is it a black car or an SS car?). Also, It
made the mini look smaller to me.
3. Even with sunroof there is enough SS in the roof IMO to continue with
the theme of a SS vehicle with black trim. blk fender and running board and
blk pillars.

Anyway, its all good, SS is awesome with blk. whether in trim or solid blk roof. I like your idea of tinting the sunroof for UV reflecting, I didn't think about that. I was going to tint the side windows anyway so I'll have the sunroof tinted as well.( is there a special tint for sunroofs for that?)

Evanskarma
MC, SS/SS, premium, mfw (bluetooth), sport seats, gotham grey interior
Ordered June 3oth, due Mid-late August

Other mods I was considering in the future was blk wheels and blk JCW grill to round out the black trim look.
what do you think?

Old 07-13-2008 | 12:12 PM
MaxGSeeker
3rd Gear
I have heard that darker colors receed in perspective so the lighter color roof may indeed appear closer and larger. It can get busy when there are too many colors so getting black wheels can eliminate the silver as a third color. Personnaly I like silver wheels for the most part, and would not go black unless the wheel has a certain racing look like carbon fiber. The black grill might look good with the roof color in SS, by adding some balance.

I plan to use a ceramic based film with at least an 80% Infrared light rejection on the sunroof. Most of these films also have low reflectance (unlike metal films), and don't give off any color to clash. I don't see how the film by itself can put stress into the glass to cause failure unless there is already some other defect.

Old 07-13-2008 | 04:06 PM
DragonWagon
5th Gear
A cop circling the grocery store parked next to my Clubman.

I thought he'd ticket me for No Front Plate.
Nope, he wanted to tell me how good Sparkling Silver looked.

Old 07-13-2008 | 04:38 PM
MaxGSeeker
3rd Gear
Alas, I could have just picked Red for a MINI color but for the fear of being too noticeable, eh especially for traffic law compliance.

I'm starting to realize you can't hide a MINI from being noticed. Perhaps a good smile and letting your car be admired is the best way to break the train of thought if eh, pulled over?

Old 07-13-2008 | 05:19 PM
Evanskarma
2nd Gear
Good suggestions/observations....many thanks.

I think I'll leave the wheels alone for now. Since I'm going for the understated solid color look I'm thinking it wouldn't be right. I agree with racing comment. If I had race stripes and S model with other bling black racing wheels would be more appropriate.

Old 10-12-2008 | 06:00 PM
Myrrth
Neutral
Sparkling Silver with Silver

I've been looking all over NAM for a pic of a SS Clubbie with Silver roof/stipes/pillars - I saw this poast but didn't see any reply. I was initially going to order PW with black, but after I saw the SS in person at the dealer have been pondering it ever since and now decided it will be my color of choice. I'm hoping to get my order in this week - but now can't decide on Silver or Black (which I've seen and like quite a bit) roof etc. Any pics of Sparkling Silver with Silver roof etc?????

Originally Posted by jimj
I have on order a Sparkling Silver Clubman with Silver top and C pillars.
Has anyone else ordered is unusual combo?
Am I nuts?
Anyone have picture links to one of these?
Is it illegal to order this color combo?
Could I be thrown in styling jail?

Old 10-12-2008 | 06:18 PM
maacodale
4th Gear
Gotta love Sparkling Silver!

Old 10-12-2008 | 08:21 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Myrrth, Alphawave has a beauty: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...&postcount=982 and I believe he has more in his gallery.

Old 10-13-2008 | 10:05 AM
Myrrth
Neutral
Sparkling Silver Clubbie

Thanks for posting this! I've been dying to see one. I love the black roof, but in the DC area it gets darned hot and I didn't want the body-colored roof. Truth tell - I love the silver roof but wasn't sure how it would look with the SS. The dealer just told me that I can get on an Oct production if I send my order in the next couple days - now I can make my roof decision!

Originally Posted by Otra
Myrrth, Alphawave has a beauty: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...&postcount=982 and I believe he has more in his gallery.

Old 10-13-2008 | 10:10 AM
Otra
6th Gear
I understand the need to see the color combinations - only too well. Get that order in!

Old 10-13-2008 | 11:46 AM
jimj
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Myrrth
Thanks for posting this! I've been dying to see one. I love the black roof, but in the DC area it gets darned hot and I didn't want the body-colored roof. Truth tell - I love the silver roof but wasn't sure how it would look with the SS. The dealer just told me that I can get on an Oct production if I send my order in the next couple days - now I can make my roof decision!

I now have my Sparkling Silver with Silver roof Clubman and love the
color combonation I choose. Besides the heat from a black roof,
A black roof will show the dirt 10 minutes
after you wash the car. Now the rest of the car looks great but the
black roof alway looks dirty. That's how my '67 Cooper S looks with
it's white body and black roof.

Old 10-13-2008 | 09:14 PM
jointheclubman
2nd Gear
I was at a local dealership today, and though I wasn't able to get pictures, I must say that the Sparkling Silver cars look amazing. Good color choice -- I'm even considering it myself.

Old 10-14-2008 | 01:56 PM
Alphawave
I now have my Sparkling Silver with Silver roof Clubman and love the
color combonation I choose. Besides the heat from a black roof,
A black roof will show the dirt 10 minutes
after you wash the car. Now the rest of the car looks great but the
black roof alway looks dirty. That's how my '67 Cooper S looks with
it's white body and black roof.
This post is worthless without pics! Can't wait to see your JCW!

Old 10-15-2008 | 12:08 PM
jimj
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Alphawave
This post is worthless without pics! Can't wait to see your JCW!
Here's some pics of my SS/PS Clubman.
The JCW mini is pretty quick, but I still want it faster.
I finally figured out how to downsize my picture size in
order to attach to this forum. I hope it works!

Attached Thumbnails Sparkling Silver S-09-jcw-clubman-002.jpg  

Last edited by jimj; 10-16-2008 at 09:46 AM.
Old 10-15-2008 | 12:18 PM
Alphawave
Here's some pics of my SS/PS Clubman.
The JCW mini is pretty quick, but I still want it faster.
I finally figured out how to downsize my picture size in
order to attach to this forum. I hope it works!
Faster!!??!! My gawd man..keep this one free from dents/scuffs..mmkay?

Simply beautiful...and you just sold another pair of silver scuttles! Are those the JCW package, or are they the silver UJ's? Interior pics, when you get a chance! Congrats, Jim!

Old 10-15-2008 | 07:20 PM
jimj
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Alphawave
Faster!!??!! My gawd man..keep this one free from dents/scuffs..mmkay?

Simply beautiful...and you just sold another pair of silver scuttles! Are those the JCW package, or are they the silver UJ's? Interior pics, when you get a chance! Congrats, Jim!

You know, I don't know what type the side scuttles are. They came with my factory '09 JCW Clubman. Are they unique to the JCW cars?
I'll get some interior shots.